Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Alchenar posted:

It was weird and clearly not well thought through though. What's even the point of all this slow moving locking ordinance if the AI turrets will immediately shoot them up with perfect accuracy?

Freespace 2 remains the absolute pinnacle of Fighter/Bomber/Capital Ship combat.

I thought the mechanic was targeting the turrets to shoot them out so you can then fire ordnance.

Amen re: Freespace 2. Now where’s my HOTAS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Cross-Section posted:

I'm just gonna headcanon away the whole missles-on-TIEs thing as the remaining Imps investing a bit more in their now-finite supply of fighters

Thrawn even put shields on his TIEs, so there's precedent

I think the devs have said this is actual canon since this is post-RotJ.

From the Polygon interview:

quote:

Because of where we sit in the timeline — because we’re after Endor, we have a fair amount of flexibility around that idea that, “Well, you know, the war has taken a turn. The Empire was like, ‘We got this! We easily are going to win!’ And now suddenly they’re going, “Oh, maybe, maybe not.’” And so both sides are starting to tinker a bit more, and so that’s why we’re seeing these modifications by both factions within our game, and why you see things that you didn’t see in films. Because it’s a little bit later they started messing with different things.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Lokee posted:

Just saw this up on Steam, any reason not to cancel my Origin pre-order and rebuy?

Fuuuuuuck Origin, i'll not use it if I can

If it's anything like the other EA games on Steam, it'll just launch via Origin anyways.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

This thread has solidified my decision to never play with goons.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

RangerKarl posted:

X is in charge of not only pushing around shield priority, but engine/laser power? I wonder how that works? Shielded craft won't be able to shunt power to the laser bank?

That’s different from the power management on the d-pad. Unshielded craft (i.e. TIE fighter/interceptor/bomber) instead have a special power relay that lets them instantly shunt all reserved energy into one system or the other. Other ships have to let their systems charge.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Say I had money to burn. Is there any chance of virpil or vkb shipping this year?

I got my stuff from VKB ordered, shipped, and delivered to the US in under 5 days. I was gobsmacked, I thought it would get hung up in customs or something.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

I looked at it but I just don’t like the kosmosima grip. I assume you’re recommending this because of the extra controls/throttle?

e: Granted, it’s relatively cheap af.
What throttle are you pairing it with?

edit:
Do you have larger hands or smaller hands? The MCG is known for being fuckin' huge because it's modeled after a real Russian Su-35/PAK FA stick, and military pilots have way bigger hands than the general populace and wear gloves when they fly. I wear medium/large sized gloves, and I have to break my grip to hit stuff on the MCG. I can comfortably hit every button on a Kosmosima from resting position.

Here's an MCG next to a Thrustmaster Warthog grip and a left-handed Kosmosima (not my pic)

plester1 fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 6, 2020

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

codo27 posted:

I do play hardcore most of the time in shooters. Wont my ammo be displayed on the ship's display?

When it removes HUD elements, it removes ALL of them, including potentially important ones for a new player like certain objective markers and repair/rearming zones.

You can customize what elements are hidden on an individual basis, so it’s recommended you start with them on and then turn them off individually as you learn the game.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

My brain seems to organize flight sims and space sims into different categories. I think everyone needs to try both types of control, because everyone's wired to think about it a little differently.

In a flight sim, roll-on-stick makes sense to me because controlling my attitude with respect to the horizon/gravity is an important and constant task, so I'm always making small roll inputs to adjust.

In a space sim, yaw-on-stick makes sense to me because I spend most of my time aiming at targets, always making small pitch/yaw inputs to align the sights.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Thoatse posted:

It's not though. Shooter mechanics use positional control like moving a cursor in a browser, also called zero-order control. Squadrons however and any space game worth its salt use proportional velocity/first-order mechanics so while you *can* use a mouse you have no more advantage than anyone using a decent stick. This is because you are aiming via 'virtual joystick' which is but still proportional velocity control. Some even delve into second-order/acceleration (what people with Star Citizen brain call 'Newtonian' lol), like Elite with FA off or Kerbal or even classic Asteroids.

I can see your confusion though because for the last 20 years publishers were spoonfeeding the shooter crowd because everyone has a mouse and few have joysticks so they were reducing games to shooters with positional aim. It nearly killed the genre.

In terms of game mechanics, everything you said is true: a mouse won't grant you any advantage with things like turning speed, etc. However, I think the majority of people have way more skill and experience using a mouse to make precise and smooth inputs compared to a joystick, so that's definitely a reason to try mouse controls.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I haven't run a real game with B-wings yet, but I popped into practice mode and it looks like the menu text in the customizer screen isn't accurate? It said the proton torpedo ammo load was 5 (same as Y-wing) but when I hopped into the cockpit it was showing ten torpedoes.

The unique B-wing aux that enables the spinny cockpit also doubles the payload of the other aux slot.

edit: or increases the recharge rate if uses a cooldown

plester1 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 16, 2020

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The answer is literally always the VKB Gladiator NXT.

I came here to post this.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

zoux posted:

Ok and what about the throttle? With many checks going out I foresee supply problems in expensive hobbyist products

Also, since I don't plan on playing anything more complicated than like Elite Dangerous, what's the rep on the Logitek x52/pro/55

The NXT has a throttle axis on the base, so a separate throttle isn't strictly necessary. If you want a separate throttle, a Thrustmaster TWCS is solid for entry-level, but don't pay more than $100 for it.

The Logitech X series has a reputation for falling apart pretty quickly and not being a great value for the money :(

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Should be the main server in the Goon Discord Network, Squadrons has it's own dedicated channel there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Corbeau posted:

I haven't found any faction winrate stat, but I would love to be able to look that up. I still get fuckin' pasted most of the time on imp and the roll over most teams as republic. Played two games tonight that followed the trend perfectly: an Interceptor game where I went like 6-3 (which is pretty abysmal for an interceptor), then an A-Wing game going 17-1 with three subsystem kills to boot. Pretty sure the matchmaking algorithm uses only one global MMR number so it just has no clue where I belong or what to do with me.

I guess you’re talking fleet battles if you’re dropping subsystems. I’ve personally had nearly even rates with both factions, but I’m paying attention to game wins, not kills/deaths.

Do you ever play objective or support? Maybe you’re getting matched weirdly if you are only playing certain roles.

plester1 fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jan 19, 2021