Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrumpyMan
Nov 26, 2002
Big, fat party animal
So I suppose this could have gone in the Horror movie thread in CD, but that thread is super insular, and seems to revolve around a handful of thread superstars. What I want is to open up to the general goon community. What horror were you exposed to (perhaps too early) that left a mark on your psyche. That being said:

I remember wandering down the hall as a wee one (maybe 7 or 8) and stumbling in to the den as my parents and older brother were watching Creepshow. It was the segment where seaweed Ted Danson and his kelpy bride were closing in on Leslie Nielsen, and it scared the good god drat hell out of me. I had nightmares of seaweed zombies for months.

Example the second: I was about 13 and my older brother convinced me to watch Evil Dead 2. I was totally down, but he crashed out about 20 minutes in, leaving me to process it all on my own. When the mounted deer head starting moving and cackling, that was too much. I finished the movie (and it is a great film), but good god was I unsettled.

Example the third: Dolls, by Stuart Gordon. This came on late one night on a local UHF station, and from the moment the teddy bear disemboweled those assholes, I was pinned to the couch. The scene where the punk girl gets dragged off and doll-ified: holy poo poo. To this day it still disturbs me. I recently showed it to the wife and she enjoyed it, but did not feel the pure dread I felt. Guess you had to be 14 and alone in the house at night.

I am sure some of you pig dicks had similar experiences. Let's hear 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VChmTTCEw0o

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
tell em large marge sent ya

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Event Horizon hosed me up good when I saw it as a pre-teen. Sam Neil is supposed to be the good guy!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I've never been scared by a horror movie in my life (my brain disconnects because it's a movie) except the movie Vacancy (2007) somehow got around all that and almost made me poo poo my pants

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Mentally and physically!

Imagine a very young KD who was sitting on a baby stool. In front of me is delicious food that im smothering all over my face and the movie is All Dogs go to Heaven is playing on the TV in front of me. The part of the movie where the Dog comes back to life and wakes up gasping for air at the dock while a cat is screaming I am screaming as well because somehow a wasp got trapped inside of my ear drum. I had to get rushed to the hospital and lost a little of my hearing in one ear. But I remember refusing to watch that movie growing up it scared me that bad. I am ok now. Sad to say my hearing in that ear has gotten worse by other means. Now for more just mental things

You remember that Turtle from Neverending Story?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCn7orvs0Ws
Morla's sneeze would terrify me.

Also could not sit in the toilet without trembling in fear from the movie Who Framed Roger Rabbit when he goes down a hole or something. Not sure if this one actually happened. I don't know the movies by heart but I closely relate to that fear.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I have no idea but it had an evil man-sized bunny and it wasn't Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog
The music video to Robbie Williams - Rock DJ, where he's trying to get some girl's attention and begins ripping off his own skin and body parts until he's just a skeleton. I was 6 when I saw it on TV late at night and remember having nightmares about it for a bit, and anything to do with people destructively removing pieces of themselves just strikes fear deep into me at this point.
Similar from the Salad Days sketch from Monty Python Flying Circus, probably because my dumb kid brain thought it was all real and lived that way for enough time

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

That Simpsons episode where Homer gets laser eye surgery and his eyes crust up afterwards was worse than anything I've seen in any movie. I feel nauseous just thinking about it

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i was scared as hell of the movie scream lol

GrumpyMan
Nov 26, 2002
Big, fat party animal

Cubone posted:

I have no idea but it had an evil man-sized bunny and it wasn't Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey

I hate to even suggest this, but Donnie Darko? Harvey?

Oh, may have been Twilight Zone: The Movie

GrumpyMan fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 16, 2020

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The Evil Within 2017 was a horror film that missed more opportunities than it hit home runs but the introduction will never leave me. (At 4:55 you can be done now)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2hv2D24QNE

cheezel
Feb 23, 2011
No idea of the movie name or anything more than the part that scarred little cheezel for life. Maybe 5 years old and stumble upon the olds watching a mid-afternoon Sunday matinee type movie. The scene is some masquerade ball and a man is wearing a frog mask/helmet which tightens around his neck and you have his POV as it strangles him and his eyes fill with blood and I honestly to this day still wonder if I dreamt the whole drat lot.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

Cubone posted:

Donnie Darko? There was another film to where the bunny killer was a hillbilly type taking down stranded motorists to cannibalization by the family... don't recall the name though.

For me it was Poltergeist. Just the whole drat movie. First "Creepy clown doll" too. The movie didn't scare the piss out of me, or send me running from the theater; but there was just something different about the world after seeing that movie.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Hellraiser at age 5 was a hell of a trip.

I missed the boat on The Thing until adulthood but it didn't dampen the effect.

GrumpyMan
Nov 26, 2002
Big, fat party animal
Oh yeah, the face peeling scene in Poltergeist. No way that would get a PG rating these days.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Enter the Void

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I was a hyuuuuuuuuge pussy as a kid and into my early teens. Like, I kept my eyes closed through much of the Jurrasic Park 3/Shrek matinee showing I went to with my family and it wasn't because of Smash Mouth. But there was one movie I saw a small part of at a neighbour's that really freaked me out as a sprog. I have no idea what it was, or if it was technically a horror flick or even a film at all, could have been a tv show, but the scene in question is of a high-class woman opening her mouth to reveal a bigass spider inside and I dunno if it's controlling her or if she's infected or if it's just a dream sequence or what but that image stuck with me such that I still recall it to this day.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I saw Robocop when I was 6 or 7. Murphy getting blown up was bad but the thing that stuck with me was the guy at the end that went through the acid bath. It was his cries of anguish that haunted me for some time, especially when he kept saying "help me" to his one thug buddy. The way he disintegrated into a pool of mush when hit by a car sealed the deal. He was a bad guy, I knew that even at 6, but nobody deserved that.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

the shower scene in the original IT got me good at like 7 or 8

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Jaws got me as a kid because I lived in a small surfing village and spent like half my free time in the water. Hereditary is probably the only horror made in 30 years that's managed to spook me. The end is all just so unsettling.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

FooF posted:

I saw Robocop when I was 6 or 7. Murphy getting blown up was bad but the thing that stuck with me was the guy at the end that went through the acid bath. It was his cries of anguish that haunted me for some time, especially when he kept saying "help me" to his one thug buddy. The way he disintegrated into a pool of mush when hit by a car sealed the deal. He was a bad guy, I knew that even at 6, but nobody deserved that.

It's tough to explain to the uninitiated that have only seen toys and stuff and thought it was kids poo poo just how hard Robocop owns.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Turning on Aliens or The Thing on TV and seeing lots of gore that was allowed because "they're monsters" was definitely a loving trip in the 90s.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It's tough to explain to the uninitiated that have only seen toys and stuff and thought it was kids poo poo just how hard Robocop owns.

Oh, no doubt. It's an absolutely S-tier satire of the whole genre while simultaneously being a superb action flick. One of the best "pure 80s" movies of all time (tied with Predator, for me).

legion989
Jan 18, 2013
My dad left the exorcist on in my parents bedroom and walked away for something. 10 year old me wandered in just in time for the scene with the crab walk down the stairs and the damage was done to my psyche for years

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I was scared to hell and back when I was like 8 years old watching Alien for the first time. It's still one of my favorite movies.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I was completely terrified by The Serpent And The Rainbow as a kid. I’m pretty sure I thought it was a documentary. No, I wasn’t a very bright child, why do you ask?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Alien. I made it through The Scene by closing my eyes, but when Ash was attempting to kill Ripley I got up and ran to hug my mom because she looked a bit like Sigorney Weaver. Then my mom yelled at my dad, even though it was my idea :evilbuddy:

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
one time my folks put on some horror movie they heard good things about while i was in the room and the opening scene was a guy loving a decapitated head and throwing it out the window of his truck and they made me leave the room and at that point in life i was like "this says more about you than it is 'affecting me'"

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

My parents took me to ghostbusters when I was 3. This was a mistake.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
Alien.....for obvious reasons.

Another I can't remember. Early 90's growing up we rented two horror films from Blockbuster one night. We hauled my friends TV up from the basement and put it under the carport so we could have movie night outside. Another important detail is I started to come down with the flu that night but it didn't hit full steam till late at night. First movie unmemorable. The second, when my fever started to kick in, was about a lady who gave birth to a demon baby. I remember sharp teeth and long claws and a murder rampage, that's about it. But I can still recall every detail of my fever induced dreams, but sadly can't utter a word of them because of how insane they were.

As for my wife....
A few years ago I found my way to the American Film Institute website and their top movie lists. I made it a goal to culture myself a little more and start watching movies from their lists, no matter how bad or lame, give an honest try at watching the whole thing. One day I came across "invasion of the body snatchers" (1958) on the 10 top 10 list. Now my wife usually just grabs an iPad and some headphones, and watches some stupid reality TV poo poo, but for the first time she said she'd watch this one with me. The entire movie she wouldn't shut up about how lame the special effects were, how the premise of the movie was plain stupid, blah blah blah. I was pissed that she was ruining it for me because I appreciated it for what it was. That night however, she woke up middle of the night, cold sweat, shaking, panicked, screaming at the top of her lungs, dreaming the pod people got her. 3 bloody nights of the same dream. To this day, almost 2 years later, if I mention it, or tease her about it, she won't talk to me the rest of the day. So now I tease her right before I watch another on the list to get some peace and quiet.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I think I watched the original I Spit on Your Grave when I was 12 or so. It was very long and very upsetting and made me afraid of rural people.

pizza combos
Feb 23, 2011
A TV edit of Friday the 13th part 3 I think. I was maybe like 6 years old on a Saturday afternoon when my older sister flipped it on. I didn't stick around long.

Cronenbergs The Fly. Not sure why but I always feel grimy after it.

I watched Predator the other night for the first time in a while and holy poo poo the last ten minutes of that movie are intense. Arnold has no weapons and nowhere to run to really and the predator is just brutally beating the poo poo out of him. Toying with him.

pizza combos fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 16, 2020

GrumpyMan
Nov 26, 2002
Big, fat party animal
I am thinking the first was It's Alive, second probably DERP I SHOULD LEARN TO READ

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I got to watch pretty much whatever I wanted as a kid. And boy did I take advantage of that.

The Return of the Living Dead. The Tar Zombie. You know the one. This is now one of my all-time favorites though.

GrumpyMan
Nov 26, 2002
Big, fat party animal
78 version is the best IMO. Donald Sutherland, Leonard Nimoy, and sexy young Jeff Goldblum.

GrumpyMan
Nov 26, 2002
Big, fat party animal

pizza combos posted:

Cronenbergs The Fly. Not sure why but I always feel grimy after it.

I watched Predator the other night for the first time in a while and holy poo poo the last ten minutes of that movie are intense. Arnold has no weapons and nowhere to run to really and the predator is just brutally beating the poo poo out of him. Toying with him.

Speaking of sexy young Goldblum. I would climb all over that.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

GrumpyMan posted:

78 version is the best IMO. Donald Sutherland, Leonard Nimoy, and sexy young Jeff Goldblum.

That movie is a hell of a lot of fun.

Speaking of remakes, The Blob from 1988 is way better than it has any right to be, would HIGHLY recommend if you havent caught it.

scrub
Jul 9, 2002
Older sister constantly warping me. I saw all of these movies at an age that would send my children into a catatonic state.

Original Friday the 13th
Creepshow 2
Nightmare on elm street 1/2/3
Faces of death

My dad made movies, so when he was warping me it was ok because he would point out the lines to the blood squibs and show us documentaries about special effects. Probably the only reason I'm just in therapy and not jail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I think I watched the original I Spit on Your Grave when I was 12 or so. It was very long and very upsetting and made me afraid of rural people.

i don't think that would make me afraid of any specific type of person as much as it would sour my entire worldview