Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

That's what I mean-- Jay-Z has also put out loads of killer tracks since he stopped hustling in the spotlight. Both men went out on top on their own terms and have enough money to pop up and make waves on their own terms, Chapelle less so but it's the best analogy I've got.

Just showing my lack of knowledge about Jay-Z. DIdn't realize he had put out much of anything since he heyday. Good for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Dogmeat posted:

Gross. Also, WTF?!?

I was never a fan of hers (really only know her as the mom from Home Movies), but they just keep giving her shows on NPR. I guess she has a distinctive voice, but as this thread has mentioned multiple times: Maria Bamford isn't a predator. Just hire her instead.

Yeeeeeaaaah, I only really knew Paula Poundstone as some boring comedian who dresses weird, but I didn't know the depth of the other stuff.

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call
1-800-NYTIMES for FREE home delivery

Biohazard posted:

I think it would have been better if he had a cohost to bounce his ideas back and forth too, but as it was it was like listening to an old guy get more conservative while sitting on his couch. I know a lot of people didn't like his wife on the podcast, but I actually enjoyed those more than any of the others.

Absolutely, a cohost would help so much. His appearances on other shows are way better than his endless rants.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

The New York Times posted:

Absolutely, a cohost would help so much. His appearances on other shows are way better than his endless rants.

I'd love to see him do one with someone like Maria Bamford for example. Just someone he doesn't seem to have a lot in common with. It'd be fascinating to see those two try and find middle ground on things. They both have interesting but very different views on their mental health.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
bamford is on the Bonanas for Bonanza podcast with Andy Daly and it's quite funny if you're into that sort of thing

i don't think there's any other comedian out there who do quite what she does

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah Chapelle is kind of the Jay-Z of comedians in that neither has done much in their most famous field, but they made such a hard impact back in the day and checked out of the mainstream with so much perceived class/integrity that it would take some heavy poo poo to undermine him. I'm not looking to, I haven't heard bad poo poo about the guy, but just saying if you wanted to you'd have to come hard and make it definitive.

Chapelle is still putting out wicked poo poo on Netflix man making bank

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Mozi posted:

bamford is on the Bonanas for Bonanza podcast with Andy Daly and it's quite funny if you're into that sort of thing

i don't think there's any other comedian out there who do quite what she does

ohhhh thank you, I didn't know she was doing one. Definitely gonna check this out.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Biohazard posted:

I hear this sentiment a lot, but from what I understand, he never really stopped crushing it in stand-up, he just had enough money to just do live shows and not really record any of his stuff. His netflix deal wasn't really a return to stand-up as much as it was him finally just cashing in on it again.

Bingo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sometimes if I have work to do I’ll put on Dave’s rambling 3-4 hour set from that dingy UK club from like 6 years ago and just vibe to it like a big podcast, it’s awesome.

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call
1-800-NYTIMES for FREE home delivery

Bust Rodd posted:

Sometimes if I have work to do I’ll put on Dave’s rambling 3-4 hour set from that dingy UK club from like 6 years ago and just vibe to it like a big podcast, it’s awesome.

Got a link?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
i dont get the whole m*lested thing in the original tweet, like what letter could possibly lurk behind that single asterix, nobody will ever know.........!!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The New York Times posted:

I listened to Bill Burr’s podcast for a long time but I just ended up feeling that while he’s funny he’s also a dick and the humor didn’t make up for it in the end.

I work with a lot of loudmouth trumpy union guys from Long Island, and I think that’s what ruined him for me. To me his show just sounds like a funnier and more eloquent version of the horrible opinions I already can’t avoid at work.

Eh, maybe I’ll check him out again, coronavirus has spared me from douchebag overexposure for months now.

Have you ever discussed how goddamn stupid you have to be to both be in a union and also be a republican

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Clawtopsy posted:

i dont get the whole m*lested thing in the original tweet, like what letter could possibly lurk behind that single asterix, nobody will ever know.........!!

It’s about throwing off the search functionality and I think for “triggering” purposes.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
delete twitter and also most comedians

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Biohazard posted:

Look you REALLY seem to want a reaction out of me so here it is. ..
Again, I genuinely apologize that my not well thought out post came across so terribly. I admit that I was in the wrong and should have thought it out more before posting. I don't think we're going to agree on much else, as you seem to have different views on how to process these allegations, which is fair. For that reason I'm just going to move on.

I appreciate that you now recognize how toxic and disgusting your post was. A lot of your posts have been willfully naïve in favor of the comedians, and it's really bad. Please examine your bias, instead of gauging your trust in someone based on if you like their podcast. This hemming/hawing, JAQing off is part and parcel of rape culture. Your dipshit "both sides" dithering is exactly why predators like Louis CK feel safe enough to victimize women in the first place.

There's pretty much nothing a person can gain by making a public accusation of sexual assault against a famous man. You get dragged through the dirt, your entire life gets scrutinized on a level that never happens to the accused, a bunch of people will forever resent you for revealing that their favorite comedian is a sexual predator. It's certainly not for fame or money--name ONE woman who made a career for herself off of being raped. The only upside to coming out, as far as I can see, is that it decreases the chances of him victimizing someone else, at least for a while.

Never assume that a victim has to act a certain way after being assaulted/abused. Especially in cases of statutory rape, where the victim genuinely doesn't recognize the damage that's being done to them. Add to that a father who encouraged a predatory relationship between his daughter and a man more than twice her age, and yeah--it's going to be a few years before she can recognize and process that sort of damage. People don't immediately breaks ties with their abuser. They also don't always fall into a depression, or stop socializing, or suffer panic attacks or whatever your narrow perception of "How Victims Act" is.

I don't think you're a bad person, I think you're an all too typical person--you have no understanding of abuse and its dynamics but you're ready to jump in with "Just asking questions" that have been asked in countless other instances of victim-blaming and excusing people you personally like

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Sailor Cat posted:

I appreciate that you now recognize how toxic and disgusting your post was. A lot of your posts have been willfully naïve in favor of the comedians, and it's really bad. Please examine your bias, instead of gauging your trust in someone based on if you like their podcast. This hemming/hawing, JAQing off is part and parcel of rape culture. Your dipshit "both sides" dithering is exactly why predators like Louis CK feel safe enough to victimize women in the first place.

There's pretty much nothing a person can gain by making a public accusation of sexual assault against a famous man. You get dragged through the dirt, your entire life gets scrutinized on a level that never happens to the accused, a bunch of people will forever resent you for revealing that their favorite comedian is a sexual predator. It's certainly not for fame or money--name ONE woman who made a career for herself off of being raped. The only upside to coming out, as far as I can see, is that it decreases the chances of him victimizing someone else, at least for a while.

Never assume that a victim has to act a certain way after being assaulted/abused. Especially in cases of statutory rape, where the victim genuinely doesn't recognize the damage that's being done to them. Add to that a father who encouraged a predatory relationship between his daughter and a man more than twice her age, and yeah--it's going to be a few years before she can recognize and process that sort of damage. People don't immediately breaks ties with their abuser. They also don't always fall into a depression, or stop socializing, or suffer panic attacks or whatever your narrow perception of "How Victims Act" is.

I don't think you're a bad person, I think you're an all too typical person--you have no understanding of abuse and its dynamics but you're ready to jump in with "Just asking questions" that have been asked in countless other instances of victim-blaming and excusing people you personally like

Asa Akira

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Sailor Cat posted:

--name ONE woman who made a career for herself off of being raped. The only upside to coming out, as far as I can see, is that it decreases the chances of him victimizing someone else, at least for a while.

This is a weird post. Are you claiming false accusations have never happened because the person didn’t get famous or a career?

People sometimes do petty poo poo to hurt others.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Have you ever discussed how goddamn stupid you have to be to both be in a union and also be a republican

Republicans keep out the immigrants that are going to steal their jobs ya drat communist.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
asking questions is cancelled!

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flowers for QAnon posted:

This is a weird post. Are you claiming false accusations have never happened because the person didn’t get famous or a career?

People sometimes do petty poo poo to hurt others.

I'm saying that people often believe that women who accuse a famous man of assault, are doing it to make money or get famous. I'm trying to explain to Biohazard that it's bullshit, because he's likely the kind of person who would believe that kind of victim smearing

Edit: And also that the cost of doing "petty poo poo" like accuse someone of rape (wtf? "petty?") is extremely high, which is why false accusations of sexual assault are rare

Sailor Cat fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 23, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGMACVGFIfM

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Well, as we all know, most people are rational actors ... so I guess go off on some guy whose words you continue to twist further and further in a need to demonstrate that you are right or whatever

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Sailor Cat posted:

I'm saying that people often believe that women who accuse a famous man of assault, are doing it to make money or get famous. I'm trying to explain to Biohazard that it's bullshit, because he's likely the kind of person who would believe that kind of victim smearing

Edit: And also that the cost of doing "petty poo poo" like accuse someone of rape (wtf? "petty?") is extremely high, which is why false accusations of sexual assault are rare

Petty reasons to hurt others - I wasn’t clear. The reasoning that fame/career is the only motivation for doing such a thing to begin with was, odd. Pretty sure biohazard didn’t say that, so weird strawman to topple.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If I’m being honest I couldn’t give a poo poo about Jeff Ross, not my cup of tea, but if Dave Attel knew about this and didn’t say anything about it that would be enough for me to table him. I love Dave and think he is basically The Godfather of modern grimelord comedy but he and Ross have worked so closely together for so long that Ross would literally have to be like a CIA agent at covering his tracks for Dave not to notice.

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Petty reasons to hurt others - I wasn’t clear. The reasoning that fame/career is the only motivation for doing such a thing to begin with was, odd. Pretty sure biohazard didn’t say that, so weird strawman to topple.

It's something that I think needs to be said and reiterated. You have to ask yourself at some point, why would this woman lie about Jeff Ross? It's not to be famous or make money; it's not a mental illness unless she specifically has psychotic delusions about being raped, and has had that specific delusion for many years. It's not because of drugs. So why would someone lie about being raped when the cost of making the accusation is so high? Maybe that's something Biohazard and others need to consider when they're Just Asking Questions, especially if you're biased in the favor of the accused, as Biohazard stated he is

I'm not putting words in his mouth, I'm educating him

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Sailor Cat posted:

It's not to be famous or make money; it's not a mental illness unless she specifically has psychotic delusions about being raped, and has had that specific delusion for many years. It's not because of drugs. So why would someone lie about being raped when the cost of making the accusation is so high?

It’s weird you keep referencing a set group of made-up motives.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Sailor Cat posted:

I'm not putting words in his mouth, I'm educating him

Lmao gently caress off

Like, I’m not saying I don’t believe Jeff Ross’ accuser, but you just flippantly cross off her potential motives to fabricate a story without any analysis:

(1) “she isn’t going to make any money off this” - usually people have to pay you to get you to agree to an NDA

(2) “she isn’t trying to get famous off this “ - I mean, we are talking about her right now...

(3) “it’s not a mental illness/drugs” - how do you know?

Maybe you need to re-examine your own biases.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 23, 2020

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Hot-Pocket!

Biohazard fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 24, 2020

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Biohazard posted:

Hot-Pocket!

the longer I stare at it, the scarier it is

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Rad-daddio posted:

the longer I stare at it, the scarier it is

It's the paleness. It's blinding but nonetheless keeps pulling you inward. Before long it will consume us all.

Edit: Dramatic re-enactment of the Jim Gaffigan Critical Event:

Biohazard fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 24, 2020

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

1redflag posted:

a bunch of stupid trash

gently caress you

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Jeff Ross is not an important enough celebrity to merit a false accusation. Frankly the only people who have even heard of him are comedy nerds and the women he groomed.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Biohazard posted:

Hot-Pocket!

masybe its because i'm not american but i listened to his hot pockets joke and didn't find it funny

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Jose posted:

masybe its because i'm not american but i listened to his hot pockets joke and didn't find it funny

Nah, it's just because it's not that amazing. He's one of those comedians whose done really well for himself by marketing to the masses. None of it is amazing, none of it pushes any boundaries. It's just the comfort food of comedy. I did hear he did a few dramatic roles in movies last year, and that he was pretty solid in them all.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Comedians I like whom I hope never get cancelled:
Norm MacDonald (Uncancellable)
Bill Burr
Dave Chappelle (Seemingly Uncancelable)
Nick Offerman

Everyone else is trash and I would spit in their faces!

Norm MacDonald said a quite bad racial slur on Adam Carolla's podcast and had to apologize for it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Gaffigan is like the exact opposite of modern stand-up. He just goes on stage and tells jokes about being white and fat and having a lot of kids and then gets off stage. He’s not my thing but I have mad respect for him. He is outspoken about the idea that comedians shouldn’t emotionally manipulate people to make them more vulnerable, because it’s a way to turn a cheap laugh into a big laugh.

He also is apparently an ASSASSIN in group chats and many podcasters have stories of sweet and demure Jim dropping nuclear bombs on people when they start acting big. He famously got Neal Brennan to log off Twitter for 3 days by chaos dunking him into low orbit.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Norm MacDonald said a quite bad racial slur on Adam Carolla's podcast and had to apologize for it.

And then proceeded to accidentally offend an entire segment of disabled people by catching himself from saying you'd have to be retar..... have downs syndome to think I thought that". Nailed it norm!

Bust Rodd posted:

Gaffigan is like the exact opposite of modern stand-up. He just goes on stage and tells jokes about being white and fat and having a lot of kids and then gets off stage. He’s not my thing but I have mad respect for him. He is outspoken about the idea that comedians shouldn’t emotionally manipulate people to make them more vulnerable, because it’s a way to turn a cheap laugh into a big laugh.

He also is apparently an ASSASSIN in group chats and many podcasters have stories of sweet and demure Jim dropping nuclear bombs on people when they start acting big. He famously got Neal Brennan to log off Twitter for 3 days by chaos dunking him into low orbit.

Yeah agreed. It's a really tough profession to break into, let alone have a lifelong career at that level of success. Do you have links to any of the podcaster stories about him? I'd love to see the Brennan one.

Biohazard fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 24, 2020

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Biohazard posted:

Hot-Pocket!

Gaffigan rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Dogmeat posted: