Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Loved the hell out of these games back in the day. They didn't really age well, though. I think I ordered the DS game and totally forgot to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

loving awesome

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I liked Mario vs Donkey Kong

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Loved the hell out of these games back in the day. They didn't really age well, though. I think I ordered the DS game and totally forgot to play it.

cool, man

far out

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Yeah the DS sequel was sucky and repeated a lot of the same mistakes as the first two games.

As for the series in general, the battle system was boring and there was too much dialogue that didn't add to the coversation. Battle themes were bitchin, though.

I actually liked the dungeon exploration, cause it was Zelda but with magic Psynergy. What kid doesn't like zelda puzzles. But everyone else didn't like them cause you had to constantly go into menus to use the right magic.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I just realized I've been confusing this series with boktai: the sun is in your hand for like 17 years

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I'd play a new Golden Sun on Switch with modern RPG dungeon design and less slow mechanics. Isaac was a cool protagonist and the plot was pretty cool and kind of refreshing in its weirdness back in the day.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Felix suddenly becoming mute and Isaac becoming a chatterbox in the second game is so pants-on-head ridiculous yet I somehow love it.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

That's what I love about you, OP.

You see there's a whole forum devoted to talking about video games and think "Nope, not today, video game forum. Not today."
So classic.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Big Beef City posted:

You see there's a whole forum devoted to talking about video games and think "Nope, not today, video game forum. Not today."
So classic.

There's even a retro video game forum now

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Big Beef City posted:

So classic.

do i look like some kind of nerd to you

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

I remember playing these dumb games when I was a kid. The summons were pretty badass and if you moved your little critters around you could make ninjas and poo poo.

The only other thing I remember is that they have fantasy Uluru in the game it’s the longest most bullshit dungeon I’ve ever been through. It honestly probably wasn’t that bad but as an impatient little rear end in a top hat it seemed like I was there for weeks.

Thank you for reading my presentation on a game I barely remember playing 20 years ago.

A talking coyote fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 19, 2020

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

The reason I got a GBA tbh. I was blown away by how beautiful it was, and the battle music fuckin' ripped

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

*stares cautiously at your anime avatar and ADTRW post history*

~uuggu?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Golden Ring (GBS)

:goatsecx:

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Turn based RPGs that require you to grind are terrible. I for sure played some golden sun when I was a kid though

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't remember Golden Sun being all that grindy

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I remember trying to type in the, like, 70 character password you needed to carry over your stuff from the first game to the second and not succeeding because this was before people realized you should not have 0s and Os in the same code.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Can I answer that?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Burt Sexual posted:

Can I answer that?

...yes

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Golden Sun Let's Play owns.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

*wall of text*

Do you agree?
>Yes

*another wall of text*

Still with us?
>Yes

*20 more minutes of text*

This is technically dialogue right?
>Yes

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

You beat me

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I like how Golden Sun DS ended on a TO BE CONTINUED even though it was never going to get a sequel.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
Hell yeah, played through this recently then picked up Lunar, GBA owned

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

This, exactly.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I remember renting that game from Blockbuster and keeping it late so I could beat it, I loved it.

Tried it again recently and I couldn't even stomach getting past the tutorial, I hate getting older.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I remember being so excited for this game before it came out and then I just never bothered playing it. I think it was the excitement that the gba was actually coming out and I was going to have a portable snes in my pocket and I'd get to relive the 16 bit Era all over again :allears:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I have been replaying the whole series on my gpd as of late (incl. ds) and while they are definitely some very flawed games, I still have a real soft spot for them.

I might actually be interested in a Switch if they did something neat with a Golden Sun game, cuz Pokemon ain't enough to shell out that money.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
i think as a kid turn based numerical combat is satisfying in a way it cant be for an adult. with sufficient cognitive abilities FF style turn based combat is essentially already solved before the battle, but for kids it can actually be experienced as dynamic. probably the same for exploring the towns, overworld map, dungeons, and narrative.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
the story and pacing was even worse in the ds game than the older ones. it did have decent dungeons and graphics so i at least enjoyed my time with it.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I thought the narrative twist that you play as the villains in the second game fighting against the first games protagonists was pretty neat.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Ogre Battle is better.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
oc remix is releasing an album on this series soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaCwTIiuQ9A

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
What is it about getting older that makes you lose all your patience for RPG bullshit?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

magikid posted:

What is it about getting older that makes you lose all your patience for RPG bullshit?

It's called being sensible

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

magikid posted:

You have responsibilities and obligations and no longer have the freedom to sink an entire weekend into sitting through long unskippable cutscenes (potentially multiple times if you game over!)

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

magikid posted:

even as a kid I always preferred Fallout 1 and 2 to JRPGs, janky as they were, because they were designed around playing the game like a tabletop rather than powergaming numbers like FF7.

they sure are a pain the dick to play anymore, though, jesus christ they're so slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

I liked it when I was a kid, because it was easy and having a story in a videogame was still a novelty. The graphics were cool for the GBA, they had a lot of dramatic camera pans during fights that made it look more action packed than it was. In retrospect the story was really boring and so were the characters.
Also it was stupid that if you killed one enemy that a party member was set to attack, they wouldn't target another enemy and just did nothing that turn