Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I think it's relatively simple to get a forum up and running these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Yeah, the harder parts are getting the userbase to transition over, and preventing factionalism/takeover attempts.

Make it as seemless as possible.
Let mods/admins keep their status (if they want it). Give every forum member a (free) registration link. Keep most of the purchase options, keep the custom emoticons (if possible). Set up ads.

I'd like to see a forum with full income/costs transparency. Pay for services yearly, actually pay the mods, and the rest donate to various "goon approved" charities. That'd be nice.

Keep Photoshop Friday Paint Thursday.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Yeah, but recreating all that is a lot harder than just setting up a new forum.

I had a look at XenForo, and it seems pretty straightforward. :shrug:

Grand Fromage posted:

But the admins are talking about it and if a new forum ends up being the solution, you can be sure it'll be posted.

Good to hear.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Evil Trout posted:

I posted this in another thread but I'm the co-founder of Discourse:

https://www.discourse.org/

It's pretty different than SA's fork of vBulletin but does have a lot of more modern features. Maybe with some customization we could make it feel less jarring.

The biggest thing is a forum this size will use a fair amount of bandwidth/resources, but as a long time goon I'd be more than willing to figure out how to make that as transparent as possible and we'd set up a patreon or other membership service to cover costs.

Ideally this wouldn't be necessary and Lowtax hands over the keys to the forum and we make the existing stuff work without him, but I have a feeling he's going to go down with this ship. I don't see myself joining one of the many discords but if someone wants to keep my email around robin.ward [at] discourse.org we (or @eviltrout on twitter, my DMs are open) please do contact me if we need to figure out how to set up a new forum in the future.

That's be great, if the new forum ends up happening.