Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

GilliamYaeger posted:

I know it's probably bad form to quote a post in another thread, but I had to get this off my chest. Thinking about it, is A at least indirectly responsible for everything bad that happens in Library of Ruina? Like, you've got the decision to build Angela, the Smoke War, LobCorp itself, the Distortion, the Library, the turf war that happens as a result of L-Corp's collapse...gently caress, even W Corp's trains could only run as often as they did because of L-Corp making a deal with them to provide cheap power. I'm actually having a hard time thinking of something that can't be ultimately traced back to A doing something (that isn't an intrinsic part of how the City is run, of course.)

I feel like you can't lay the blame on L-Corp or A for that; W-Corp kept their particular horribleness a secret from everyone (except the true villains of the setting, T-Corp). There was no way L-Corp or A could have known the power was being used for anything other than extremely fast travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'd have thought "Humans doing human things" was unbooking T.Hinman, but there's no way Yesod's floor is ready for another abno battle already.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

Is there a way to transfer agents - I mean, librarians - between departments?

no proper way to do that. But unlike LC, customizing your librarians in LoR doesn't cost anything, so you could just make librarian A look like librarian B and B look like A and now you've "transferred" the two.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

Something I've never been clear on, as someone who beat LC and has only played a bit of Ruina... Spoilers obviously. Sorry for the dumb question.

Were all the sephirot made from the brains of their past selves? Or were some just made roughly in their image? I know everybody got killed when Binah or whatever her pre-sephirah name was attacked, but what about Michelle (Hod)? It implied that she killed herself and presumably she didn't do that in the building, did they go and take her body from her apartment?

There was some language in LC about them all leaving A, so I kinda assumed they quit, but then we have their roboclones, so...?

I'm certain that somewhere it's expressly stated: yes, the sephirot were all made with the brains of their past selves. Certainly Garion's brain was shown physically inserted into Binah's chassis. And the only sephirah to behave differently from the rest, Tephiret B, was also shown to have a human brain inside; so there's nothing to suggest any of the sephirot aren't the original human brain in the chassis. So they must have retrieved Michelle's brain at some point. The City seems like a place that doesn't mind corpse desecration.

people do sometimes refer to their friends' or family's dying as "leaving" (particularly "leaving [the living friend or family] behind")

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 29, 2022

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

Singularity names can sometimes take a leap of logic. Z might be Zombie (Sweepers are made from people, kill and eat everyone they encounter (excluding those they intend to "recruit"), and carry out their feeding with almost mindless determination (people fight back, Sweepers keep sweepin'; Sweeper next to them dies, Sweepers keep sweepin'))

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

Junpei posted:

I find it kind of funny (in an idle, casual, 'light chuckle' sorta way) that when picking the Chinese rep for their literary inspirations, they went with the one of the Four Great Classical Chinese Novels with the least amount of violence in it.

Journey To The West? Basically the prototype for every shonen battle series ever.
Romance of the Three Kingdoms? Literally about a massive war.
Water Margin? It's the backstories of 108 bandits, there's quite a lot of fighting.

But, no they picked Dreams of the Red Chamber, the one that's mostly familial drama and love triangles (at least from the broad overviews I've read of it). I'm not making fun of them for it, I'm quite interested to see what they do with Hong Lu, but it's just lightly funny to me.

it's possible they picked Dreams of the Red Chamber for precisely those reasons: that the other three would be "too easy". Everyone already knows Dragon Ball (Journey to the West), Dynasty Warriors (Romance of the Three Kingdoms), and Suikoden (Water Margin).

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

Junpei posted:

I was thinking about TQ's little imposed challenge, having Roland kill everyone he has a Memory card of in the Memories of the Library phase, and I'm just trying to think: What's the significance of all of those ones specifically?

Argalia, Iori, Olivier and Salvador were all people he knew personally. Yujin, he at least knew from a distance. He didn't know Xiao, but she does act as a mirror to him-she lost the love of her life in much the same way and sought revenge. Walter and Finn, and Tommy + Merry, he didn't know at all.

I don't think it's about how they relate to Roland. Except for Argalia, everyone else in the list is either a friend/acquaintance, or someone (relatively) heroic or who otherwise didn't deserve to die in the Library. The memories might be representing all the people Roland regrets killing in order to get revenge on Angela. And then Argalia is there because he is that important an enemy to Roland; kinda hard to forget him.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

Loxo321 posted:

non-PM Fans: "What a nice looking village."
PM Fans: *Confused screaming*

Those who read Leviathan: "wait, are we sure that's even the same universe as the City?"

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

I could buy that, the Sweepers are described as returning home to a Nest/Family structure at some points I believe?

Edit: Zweeperz?

they're an unyielding, unflinching wave of death, made of things that used to be people. Zombie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

Vergil needs to do something that could earn the team's gratitude and show his strength (and thus why he doesn't do it more often). Problem is, that opportunity happened and the Indigo Elder did it instead.

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 1, 2024