Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
This subject came up in the IIMM thread and has been eating at me for a while. A thread idea I've had for some time that I think goons would be good at.

quote:

Best celebrity cameo ever is Bob Barker in Happy Gilmore.

quote:

I have to go with Robert Duval in Slingblade just from how out of left field it came and how long it took me to recognize him.

Come to think of it, I've thought more than once about starting a "Holy poo poo, Was That REALLY So and So?; PYF Cameo" thread but I can never remember the ones I want to use in my OP, which I only seem to recall during my hour commute to and from work or when I'm watching a movie that reminds me of the idea in the first place. I know I've had 3 or 4 cross my mind here and there but drawing a total blank right now.

Could be a cool thread.

So here's that thread I thought might have a chance to be good.

And I stand by my Robert Duval choice just for how "whoa" it was and much it blindsided me with such a well known and accomplished actor during a film where I never saw it coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Lloyd Kaufman was in a crowd scene in Cell for a three second cameo. That was the only good three seconds of that movie.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Lloyd Kaufman was in a crowd scene in Cell for a three second cameo. That was the only good three seconds of that movie.

I wasn't even aware they made a movie out of that. The book sucked hard and I tend to like Stephen King.

I remembered one in light of my avatar and that was Peter Benchley (author of JAWS) playing the news reporter on the beach but that's not really in the spirit of what I imagined for the thread, which I was hoping to be more of a "blink and you'll miss it" sort of thing.

While I'm thinking about that, Billy Crystal as a "mime is money" in Spinal Tap is pretty great.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

I wasn't even aware they made a movie out of that. The book sucked hard and I tend to like Stephen King.

It was in development hell for ages and is somehow worse than the book.

I just found out that Kaufman also has a cameo in GotG, which isn’t surprising. James Gunn got his start at Troma decades ago.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
To quote someone I admire very much:

Sunswipe posted:

British comedian/light entertainer Brian Conley turning up in Equilibrium as the shopkeeper Preston interrogates to get to the resistance leader was out of loving nowhere, and I've still got no idea how it came about.
Seeing the "It's a puppet!" guy turn up in the middle of a kickass sci-fi action movie was a real "Wait, that can't have been..." moment.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I just found out that Kaufman also has a cameo in GotG, which isn’t surprising. James Gunn got his start at Troma decades ago.

Kaufman & Stan Lee both had cameos in 2 movies that came out in 2014 (Return to Nuke'Em High Volume 1 and GOTG)

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
A recent one for me was Casper Van Dien popping up for 2 seconds in Battle Angel Alita.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Jimmy Fallon as a supply troop in Band of Brothers

Martin Sheen in Hot Shots 2

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's astonishing how many great examples the Irritating Moment thread came up with.

Cameos can be so good when done right and not when it's just someone rubbing their ego in your face for five minutes (Trump).

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Glen Close in Hook as the guy that gets stuffed in the boo box is an all time great.

Bowie in Zoolander

Matt Damon in Thor: Ragnarok got me too

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Julius CSAR posted:

Jimmy Fallon as a supply troop in Band of Brothers

Band of Brothers is also good for people who became much more famous years later. James McAvoy, Simon Pegg, Tom Hardy (Who also had a supporting role in Black Hawk Down), and Michael Fassbender are all in it in supporting roles that, with Pegg and Fassbender being particularly easy to overlook.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Rob Schneider in Little Nicky.

“You can do it Nicky! Kick him in his hairy balls!”

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

A few I liked:

Ghostbusters: Larry King, Casey Kasem, and an uncredited Ron Jeremy/Ron Hyatt (in a crowd scene, after the containment grid is shut down and everything goes to hell)
Ghostbusters 2: Bobby Brown as the doorman for the mayor (he's got 2 songs on the soundtrack). Cheech Marin as one of the dock workers watching the Titanic finally arrive. Weird, not-really cameos are Eugene Levy and Andrea Martin's names on the marquee, when the Flip City montage is playing. Martin and Levy were huge on SCTV (and in Canada, in general), along with Rick Moranis and Harold Ramis. Also, the movie that's playing at the theatre is 'Cannibal Girls', which was I think Reitman's first one. Maybe second.

Levy was actually in a deleted scene that hasn't been released (yet), as Sherman Tully, and he's the one that springs the guys out of the mental hospital.

Also, someone in the IIMM thread mentioned Ed Sheeran in GoT. Apparently, an episode or two after that, a few women are talking about men they've slept with, and they mention him, and how he died horribly. :haw:

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 05:27 on Jun 28, 2020

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

While I'm thinking about that, Billy Crystal as a "mime is money" in Spinal Tap is pretty great.

But is that even a cameo? Maybe just an acting job, was he famous enough to qualify in 1982?

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I think it's too much of a role to be a cameo, but Bowie in The Prestige always amazes me.

Similarly, is it too much of a role to suggest Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder?

And while it's not a great film, it is a fun film - Polar from last year has a great Richard Dreyfuss cameo!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Does Bill Bailey in Hot Fuzz count? Coz that is more a minor role than a cameo.

I like it on the directors commentary they say that the reveal he is playing twins at the end doesn't get as big a laugh in America because they have no idea who Bill Bailey is.

Also David Letterman is in the Beavis and Butthead movie, (as Butthead's dad), and also in the criminally underrated cult movie Cabin Boy.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult - The Crow

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Chrpno posted:

But is that even a cameo? Maybe just an acting job, was he famous enough to qualify in 1982?

He was pretty famous from the TV show SOAP but looking at his IMDB it seems you're right. He had only been one other movie.

I also never realized Dave Grohl plays the devil in the Tenacious D movie.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Hot Fuzz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faMh6OYfuNE

Clever because (at the time), the seniority of their ranks matched their levels of Hollywood fame.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

BiggerBoat posted:

I also never realized Dave Grohl plays the devil in the Tenacious D movie.

He's also the demon in the music video for Tribute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lK4cX5xGiQ

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 14:10 on Jun 28, 2020

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Moo the cow posted:

Hot Fuzz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faMh6OYfuNE

Clever because (at the time), the seniority of their ranks matched their levels of Hollywood fame.

Lol I'd forgotten about Bill Nighy's perfect little twitch after "I'm the Chief Inspector." Godamnit why is it impossible to watch a clip of Hot Fuzz without wanting to watch the whole thing.

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
Not sure if it counts as a cameo per se, but Ryan Reynolds being in Hobbs and Shaw caught me completely by surprise and he stole both scenes he was in.

Very much Ryan Reynolds playing Ryan Reynolds, but it they were brilliant moments.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

lovely movie but Janet Leigh's brief scene in Halloween H20 brought a round of applause in the theater.

For sports figures, Dan Marino in Ace Ventura, Joe Frazier in Rocky and Brett Favre in There's Something About Mary playing themselves worked pretty well.

And for some reason, I liked Wil Farrell in Wedding Crashers and honestly thought is was gonna lead to a sequel (Funeral Crashers).

I know I'm also forgetting a few where the person was almost completely unrecognizable, similar to Duval in Slingblade, but I'm drawing a blank. Those are always my favorites - where it takes a moment to hit me who I'm looking at.

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Also just learned that John C Reily was bigfoot lol.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Brad Pitt in Deadpool 2, made the funniest scene in the movie even better.

Chuck Yeager himself was a barkeep in The Right Stuff

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

BiggerBoat posted:

Also just learned that John C Reily was bigfoot lol.

And Tim Robbins is the guy who keeps shuffling his stool toward JB.
The guy who comes into the washroom and gives Jack the map.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
George Lucas in BEVERLY HILLS COP 3

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Four-Eyes posted:

Not sure if it counts as a cameo per se, but Ryan Reynolds being in Hobbs and Shaw caught me completely by surprise and he stole both scenes he was in.

Very much Ryan Reynolds playing Ryan Reynolds, but it they were brilliant moments.

I love watching how many actors only appear in a single location, and Hobbes and Shaw loving makes it feel like an intentional bit.

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
Yeah, me too. Apparently the original plan for the ending was The Director to be revealed as played by Keanu Reeves, but scheduling conflicts prevented it.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
Partial repost from my comment in the other thread, I've always thought that The Man with Two Brains had one of the best cameos because of the great setup.

I remember liking the Dodgeball cameos back when it first came out, not sure how well they would hold up, especially the Lance Armstrong one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

And Tim Robbins is the guy who keeps shuffling his stool toward JB.
The guy who comes into the washroom and gives Jack the map.

Tim Robbins helped get Jack Black his start in the industry.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Fun fact: Dave Grohl is in every Tenacious D song because he's their drummer

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Dragonstoned posted:

Fun fact: Dave Grohl is in every Tenacious D song because he's their drummer

I did not know that!

Of course we can’t forget about Dio and Meatloaf in that film too.

EDIT because I swear I have seen other movies:
Lemmy in Airheads.

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 06:57 on Jun 29, 2020

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Robert Duvall's in the '78 Body Snatchers for like 5 seconds, and always throws me off when I see him.

Sting's in Gilliam's The Adventures of Baron Munchausen as the guy who gets executed for being too much of a hero.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Also White Zombie in that same movie.

That link isn't the scene, but it is the song they're playing at the club.

Carnotaurus
Feb 27, 2006

meat-eating bull

Joey Freshwater posted:

Matt Damon in Thor: Ragnarok got me too

Matt Damon also had a great cameo in Eurotrip (Video is probably :nws:). This one was bizarre because he is orders of magnitude more famous then any of the main cast.

Lucy Lawless and Vinnie Jones also have small roles.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Lloyd Kauffman in The Final Countdown

Cate Blanchet in Hot Fuzz

Its more an early role than a cameo, but Robert Duvall in Bullit

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
OP, what's the significance of Robert Duvall's name being spelled wrong in the thread title?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Gargamel Gibson posted:

OP, what's the significance of Robert Duvall's name being spelled wrong in the thread title?

I'm gonna run with "typo" if that's OK

Honest answer.

If not I'm gonna say I was trying to be funny. Somehow.

But really it's just a typo.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 00:56 on Jun 30, 2020

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

These are not surprising cameos, as they fit the tone of the show. But it was cool to see them anyway.

Gary Numan and Roger Daltrey play themselves for 5 seconds in different episodes of The Mighty Boosh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Carnotaurus posted:

Matt Damon also had a great cameo in Eurotrip (Video is probably :nws:). This one was bizarre because he is orders of magnitude more famous then any of the main cast.

Lucy Lawless and Vinnie Jones also have small roles.

I love EuroTrip, it actually holds up a bit better than most of the other teen comedies of the time. I had that "MAIL, MOTHAFUCKA" as my text-tone for years. (Although to solve the problem he could have just e-mailed her from a different e-mail address but then zany hijinks would not have ensued.)

And yea, Matt always seems cool with doing a cameo, I guess if he laughs at the idea he's in.

Tumble has a new favorite as of 03:43 on Jun 30, 2020