Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I have been messing around with a few mechanics, but this is the one I got the furthest with. It basically amounts to an imprint style effect, but you can cast the imprinted card. I am not crazy about the name but my thesaurus was failing me.

Cards with exhibit would give a bonus for card disadvantage, or putting cards from your hand in a precarious position where they can be lost if the permanent that exiled them is destroyed before they are cast. Cards refer to exiled cards for triggered or static abilities, and more complicated designs can include triggers for when you cast the exiled card.

Exhibit shows up on permanents, and is generally an enter the battlefield effect, but it also allows the player to play any other cards that a permanent with exhibit might exile, as long as it matches the card type. This should open up some more design space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Inhale is cool, but imagine a green 5 drop that says "when ~ leaves the battlefield, target player draws three cards." You would never choose your opponent. Also, it is delayed, but it is still card draw, so I would be careful about the numbers.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

It also uses significantly less space on a card.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I was feeling itchy to make some more cards and wanted to try my hand at word salad too so I have made this handy tip card:

I left room for a set logo :wink:

Exhort is an triggered ability on permanents that lets you get a little extra out of your spells. The inspirations is fairly obvious, but it is not like wizards doesn't go back to the drawing board on mechanics and come back with a new take.

I wanted to balance the abilities across the colors, and it took a little shuffling, but I am happy with where it ended up. Exhort can go on any color of permanent, and ideally would have some support with things like gain life triggers, evasion, or loss of life threshold bonuses like we have seen recently on Knight of the Ebon Legion.

If you cast a spell, Exhort will trigger once for each instance of the keyword on permanents you control, so you could get quite a lot of value out of the right deck.

Lack of Bear fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 1, 2020

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I was trying to think of an ability that would fit into a temur wedge and this is what I came up with.

The name could use some work. It feels a little too Izzet.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I like invoke or momentum. I think adding a specified amount of mana might make it a little too complicated.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I feel like regenerate exactly but instead of temporary shields it is a physical counter that stays on the card works really well. having it come in on etb and be interacted with feels good.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

What if it did damage to another target player or planeswalker? One additional seems a good way of keeping it from getting out of hand. You could also make it stack that way.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Set making has me thinking about what I like about new sets, which is limited! One thing I love to do in limited is look for fun build around cards.

A build around is a card that you should think about when drafting or deckbuilding that usually gives an advantage to playing a certain theme or strategy. A build around can be subtle and get you thinking, or it can be a card that says "whenever you play a card with keyword, do a cool thing."

Build arounds are more often than not an enchantment that costs between 2 and 5 mana, and can be a bit of a tempo risk that you make up for by giving all of your other cards an advantage. A good build around would ideally be supported by a large enough pool of cards in the set that support its theme.

For this week, make me a build around enchantment. Maybe if we find some fun ones we can figure out a way to work them into our set themes.

You have until 9PM PST, Sunday, July 19th.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

This week the cards that stood out to me most were the ones that played in the space we are exploring in our set making process.

Third Place - AJ_Impy's Rumble Pit

This is probably undercosted and should really have a cost associated with the triggered ability, but I like the token deck encouragement. One of my favorite cards when I started playing Magic was Pandemonium. Giving your creatures an opening shot right when they hit the board feels great, and it is a powerful effect. With the vanilla tokens we seem to be leaning toward, the fights would be pretty straightforward, but in other environments you could see tokens that make the fights a lot more interesting with stuff like keywords and damage triggers.

Second Place - itsmekidney's Vanilla Militia

I remember first looking at the effect of Muraganda Petroglyphs and not even considering the token applications, considering how they usually end up being vanilla creatures. This operates in the same space of saying without saying that it synergizes with tokens the most. Riot's form of an outer shell keyword surrounding a well worn keyword works great here as a stop gap for infinite triggers, as it provides great flexibility. I think the design does enough to differentiate it from a vanilla only version of Parallel Lives.

First Place - BaiSha's Target of Opportunity

Maybe I am biased because I am thinking about applications of abilities that I conceptualized, but this is a really fun one! It could probably be changed to a fight, or limited in targeting, as it get really strong when you are swinging away every turn, but it is such a fun interaction in red green. I would definitely pick this highly, and it makes me prioritize momentum creatures and mana dorks. That sort of consideration is what I was looking for in a build around. I feel like red green doesn't get enough fun stuff like this, so it is nice to see.

Congratulations BaiSha

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I think that we need to decide the flavor of the set or we need to decide the theme of the set. If it is a token set then we need to say that decisively so that people can design around that. I would be open to spending a week or so just deciding on flavor and collecting art references to work on conceptualizing where each color fits.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I could see sacrifice triggers in a Red/Black or a Red/Black/Green, maybe a Black/White, but I think it is hard to justify it in combinations outside of that. Things sacrifice to pay a cost in all colors, but specific sacrifice synergies are very much a Black and Black allied mechanic. It has been the goto theme for red black draft for most of the sets in recent history.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I guess this is the kind of discussion that I was interested in having about the set's specific theme. A sacrifice specific set would be an interesting direction. It probably would need a lot of fodder tokens, like Eldrazi Spawn, Food, or Clues. The other option would be a lot of card advantage or recursion, which could be dangerous.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Maybe we should vote on wedges vs shards vs pairs.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

The problem with all but one is that limited can't support it. Everyone will have no reason not to try and force 5 color every draft. 4 color fixing is silly so you might as well make 5 color fixing so you have less slots devoted to basically the same card. If you don't make it strong enough, every game someone is going to sit with a card they can't play in their hand. Abilities that are not in just one color feel like they are in every color, especially if you are making common less than 4 color cards that can fit in either strategy. I don't want to end up with a set that feels like you are drafting 3x Alara Reborn. I also don't want to be fighting for cards with every other drafter because they can be played by any deck.We would have to do so much tweaking on every card to balance every archetype, which sounds awful in this thread format.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

A shard set sounds fun to me too.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I agree with Anshu. We should just pick a shard and all submit for it and see what we get. I feel like the wind keeps getting knocked out of this thread and everyone is just waiting for a simple clear goal. I am going to make some RGW cards because I agree with itsmekidney that momentum fits in RGW. I encourage other people to do the same, then we can see what flavor and world stuff we like and move from there.

Here are the momentum (it was called galvanize) cards I made from before that are in those colors to start:

If anyone really wants to sumbit for another three color combination, that is probably fine too, I just want to get going already and have some sort of cohesion.

Edit: Here are some Elementals for an elemental themed RGW:

Lack of Bear fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 29, 2020

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I think with that sort of setup, the abilities are put in color pairs so even if the shards are thematically linked, it will still feel like a 2 color pair set. I have been looking at the abilities that got the most votes and trying to organize things and here is what I have:

These are the abilities that saw the most votes:
Galvanize/Momentum (Make spells cheaper when you attack)
Husk (Create a token of the creature with no abilities)
Bloodrite (Triggers off sacrifices, but isn't an inherent sacrifice ability.)
Enchanters (Create enchantment tokens)
Encore (Gain bonus if you've cast other spells.)
Mirror (Bonus for controlling multiple perms. with the same name)
Monger (Opponent can activate card abilities, but you gain Silver)
Twin (Create a token copy on ETB)
Unfinished (Haunt variant)

RGW - This seems like the right spot for Galvanize/Momentum. It is definitely a Green Red ability, and white can play a supporting role.
GWU - I like Enchanters in this spot. This combination has seen enchantment focus before, and it also likes tokens.
WUB - I am not strong on this, but I like Encore here. Each of these colors can have small effect cards that you can cast first to power up your follow up spells. I could also see Twin fitting here, maybe with effects that work like the Mirror bonus.
UBR - For this color combination I really like the Haunt variant. It can be flavored like a revenge curse, some leftover rot, or even a lasting burn.
BRG - Husk would work with these colors, especially with abilities that can be activated from the graveyard. I wouldn't want to see it in the same set as Twin though, as that is a lot of overlapping space with specifically named tokens. I could also see Bloodrite here, but I think it might feel too similar to original Jund.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Anything with monger shouldn't have a tap cost because then what is the point? If only one player is ever activating the ability, it feels like nothing special is happening.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

This is an example of a card that I think we should shy away from. If Husk belongs to one shard and momentum belongs to another, I don't think they should explicitly be on the same card. When Wizards did shards in Alara, they waited until the third set in the block to mix shard keywords. Ravnica never does it with guild keywords.

I think there can be extra keywords that work in all 5 colors, and there can be nods to the other abilities in adjacent shards, but I think that you shouldn't cross the streams or it muddies the themes of the shards.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

What if it was just a cute animal set?

Lack of Bear fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 30, 2020

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I am trying to get a feel for enchanters. I put them in Bant colors.

I also was exploring Grixis colors making a card for sacrifice synergies and a card for the unfinished ability. They are kind of two different directions for the shard, I wouldn't expect them to be in the same set.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I think the safe bet with enchanters would be to do a few cycles of them, maybe a common monocolor, then an uncommon and rare tricolor. They have potential for a lot of extra value if you don't nail down the costs and effects really well. I think if they are not in all colors then I would put them in Esper, but it would have to get a lot of balance checks. If enchanters are in every color, then I like twin for esper. One thing that Esper could do with twin is put it on a lot of artifacts and enchantments. It would be a good way to up your control or put on a big finisher.

In hypothetical paper world, an easy way to track twin would be to make a token showing that something is a copy sort of like the embalm cutouts from Amonkhet.

Lack of Bear fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 10, 2020

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Messing around with husk a little bit just want to get a feel for it.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I don't see how enchanters are parasitic. Without any support they still function as a risk reward effect as long as you have the enchanter around. They don't rely on other enchanters or even enchantment synergies to be effective. Mirror and Bloodrite are parasitic. You have to do a lot of work to make them function within a set environment.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I decided to try and give Mirror a shot because I want to see if it is possible to create a limited environment somewhere between mirror being trivial and always on, or rarely on. I think if there is too much support, say an entire other faction who's keyword supports it, the power level has to be really low to the point of being effects that are usually thrown on as riders to spice something up. In a normal set where you just get two of the same card sometimes you can do splashy effects, but there would be no point in choosing this mechanic and not designing cards to support it. It is really hard to tell where we end up without playing the set a lot and tweaking, but this is my attempt.

They are fish.

Lack of Bear fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 31, 2020

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

I started making bloodrite cards and about halfway through I realized they are supposed to be grixis not jund. I can not in my mind justify a monoblue card with "whenever you sacrifice a permanent." It is a jund ability.
Here are some cards if anyone needs bloodrite ideas I guess:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

It feels like a fresh take on cycling. All of the cycling tricks in a set can be similarly applied to one with rumor. I like that you have restricted it so much. I keeps the power level in check while also leaving room for rumor modifier cards.