Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Humphreys posted:

My neighbour spotted me being a sweaty gently caress riding around on my mountain bike I got 20 years ago and took pity on a giant riding a tiny bike. Threw me the keys to one of his cars to use until I get the Commodore unfucked (it's a simple alternator change, received replacement today), but organising the auto sparky to borrow his Tech2 for the ECU firmware upgrade and remove the battery saver mode.

EDIT: Man, tooling around in a little Mazda 323 like a clown car is quite fun around town. I have to drive it with the window down so I have elbow room.

That's a good neighbor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

shy boy from chess club posted:

So if anyone isn't up on banana history before the 50s the kind of bananas imported were Gros Michel or "Big Mike". Then what's known as Panama Disease wiped them out, it's a fungal disease that rotted the plants from the inside out. Since bananas are all genetically identical they were almost entirely wiped out. The ones we get now are known as Cavendish and are immune to the disease so far.

The Gros Michel ones are supposed to taste like candy, literally. It's the artificial flavor in taffy, runts, etc if you ever wondered why those taste nothing like the Cavendish that we are used to.

I eat a lot of bananas, they are my favorite. Once I found out about the Gros Michel I had to try them. I found a place in Florida that grows them last year but they were out of season. Now they are so I ordered some and just got them today. They are still green and I'm dying for them to ripen. I got 10lbs of them and I'll share some of them to friends and family but I'll probably end up eating most of the 10lbs. I'm so excited.

Please do a report on the flavor of big mikes. I've never seen them for sale in Canada.

The whole banana/disease thing and mono-culture is an interesting and cautionary tale. The Cavendish that everyone eats now is also at serious risk to Panama disease (the fungus has mutated and even more aggressive) so scientists are trying to get ahead of it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have a gaming laptop with an i7 Broadwell and 970M in it. While it's obviously not as powerful as my desktop 1080ti, it's still shockingly good with 1080p. It's got to be 5 years old now and still has tons of life for when I'm on the road.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Wow, gone for a bit and see the 2020 train of lovely luck just keeps on rollin' - sorry to hear about all the lovely stuff happen to everyone lately...

Found out 2 weeks ago my brother in law has tumors in his brain and sounds like it is untreatable and to expect him to be gone within 2 months. Will know more today/tomorrow. My sister is in borderline shock and she's having a rough go of it as he is having severe mood swings and is very forgetful forgetful.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Annnnnd my washing machine decided to let the smoke out of the control board,
Samsung/LG?

Is there a recommended go-to brand/model of TV nowadays that isn't preloaded with all sorts of smart TV poo poo? Just a good basic 4K TV with good response for being hooked up to a console?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

<$2K?

No, we use the console/HTPC for Netflix, Amazon, etc. I'd rather have as "dumb" of TV as possible unless there is a really amazing reason not to.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Any of you guys use those interlocking mats for exercising/whatever?

I have some and really like the feel of them underfoot but man, they always end up shifting a bit and annoy me. They end up wanting to pull apart so I taped the seams, but then they seem to want to push up and not lay flat in areas. I think it's because they like to shift a bit when I step on them.

Any ideas on keeping them in one place? I've tried anchoring them where I can, like in the photo there is about 200-250lbs on it, but it isn't feasible to anchor each side.

I bought some of those grippy mats which are mostly used to stop carpets from sliding on smooth floors (you can see in the bottom of pic), but they really don't seem to help.

Ideas in ways that won't damage the carpet underneath?

e: \/ YOUR house is for sale? The one you just bought a few months ago? \/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

HOAs are great until they're not.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Galler posted:

I think this is the problem. If they were on a hard flat surface they would probably stay put. Maybe putting some plywood between the carpet and the mats would fix it. The real solution is, probably, to get some real gymnastics mats. The big folding 2" thick ones.

I think you're right, if it wasn't carpet it wouldn't be such a big thing. I could try a piece of plywood or something and see if it helps... never thought of that. Other than ripping up the carpet I'm game.

InitialDave posted:

You can buy these things that are like plastic strips with teeth on them, for holding rugs in place on smooth surfaces and so on.

Logically, they should work in reverse, stuck to the underside of the tiles.
I'm picturing those in my mind, but I don't think I've seen them although I haven't looked. I'll take a peek for those.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I must have missed it Rhyno - why are you selling? Didn't you just buy this as your first house a few months ago (or so?)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

This is what I've had my eye on for the 996
https://www.continental-automotive.com/en-gl/Trucks-Buses/Interior-Cabin/Infotainment/Radios/FM-AM-Radio-with-CD-USB

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The Door Frame posted:

Hahahaha, the seller was so offended by our offer, he told us to not to send another. I wanted to send another, lower offer, but our realtor said that he didn't want to draw up the paperwork just to make this guy have a heart attack
Onto the next property

Do you mind sharing what your offer was that made it so insulting? Was it like 50% off asking or something?

We had a good one in the extended family recently. My brothers step daughter and her growing family wanted to move into a larger home. They found a house they liked so they listed their current home fairly aggressively to move it. It worked, had a very good offer within 3 days. Pretty much full asking price, only condition to financing (absolutely normal) with the conditions to come off in 2 weeks. Single dude just coming out of a divorce. Buyer was per-approved for the mortgage so should be easily sailing. They were pretty happy with the offer and started making plans.

Flash forward 2 weeks, conditions were due to be removed and the realtor was not getting any updates from the buyers realtor. Turns out, bonehead divorce dude decided to rush out and buy a turbo diesel mini-dick brotruck which totally hosed his mortgage pre-approval. Family was bummed and I guess diesel dude realized it was not a great idea so was in a mad panic getting his finances in order since he actually really wanted the house, selling off his assets to increase his down payment, etc, to get his mortgage approval back. According to realtor dude was basically selling everything he could.

Meantime, as this was going on, new offer came in. Full asking price, zero conditions. of course they took it. It royally pissed off bro-truck guy but gently caress him, it was totally his fault anyhow.

Best part turns out: New buyer was the recent ex-wife divorcing bro-truck man :lol:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Darchangel posted:

About damned time, though as stated, Blau is a Chinese-owned brand now. I have no complaints about those $10-15 mechless Blaupunkt heads that Walmart had, mind you, other than their inability to be ISO mounted.
What is a true high end audio company nowdays? When I was younger, my stereos where either Nakamichi or Soundstream and I loved Boston Acoustic speakers. I presume they either don't exist anymore or are total poo poo?

The Door Frame posted:

How much do you want to bet that it was a spite-buy haha? I've heard so many horror stories of people losing their financing because they go out and finance new appliances or furniture before the keys are in their hands, and our loan officer repeatedly and explicitly told us not to spend money or take new lines of credit. I don't know how so many people make that mistake

The house was a 2 bed 1 bath, 950sqft, no basement, in a desirable location. House completely remodeled and brand new appliances, HVAC, sump, everything new. Worth $240k maximum, but comps put it at about $255k and asking price was $275k, so we came in with a good faith offer of $250k($258k with 3% comps). The dude went off in way I was not expecting, to the point that I actually did ask to put down another, even lower offer just to piss him off
100% guaranteed it was a spite buy.

That offer might have been a bit on the low side, but like you said it's good faith and not insulting. Dude was an idiot to not give a counter.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Honestly, I think if I do the moving thing again I will buy land and build what I want.
Absolutely! That's the dream. One thing I learned though as we *almost* went with a custom build for a last house, it's very, very easy to have the costs run away on you. Unless you can do a lot yourself it's incredibly easy to have a house cost 20% more than market price for a similar house.

The house we were going to build was well over $200K more than the other brand new house we ended up buying which was 90% done so we were able to tweak, and to be honest wasn't half the house.

Thank god we didn't go through with it, and we were serious, deposit given and everything. Bullet dodged for sure. And gently caress mass builders and they're cheaping out on everything where they can get away with it.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 21, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

BC Center for Disease Control is recommending gloryholes to avoid the 'rona.

http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/prevention-risks/covid-19-and-sex

quote:

Steps to protect yourself during sex

Here are some ways to lower the risk of being exposed to COVID-19 during sex with others:

Ask your partner(s) if they’re feeling unwell or have any symptoms of COVID-19.
Before and after sex:
Wash your body with soap and water.
Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
Wash sex toys thoroughly with soap and water before and after use. Do not share them with multiple partners.
Wear a face covering or mask. Heavy breathing during sex can create more droplets that may transmit COVID-19.
Avoid or limit kissing and saliva exchange.
Choose sexual positions that limit face-to-face contact.
Use barriers, like walls (e.g., glory holes), that allow for sexual contact but prevent close face-to-face contact.

Using condoms, lubricant, and dental dams may help to further reduce the risk by minimizing contact with saliva, semen and feces during oral and anal sex.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

I wish we had a pro-drug, pro-glory hole leader :(
Pretty sure our leader is versed with gloryholes... not as likely on the drug side though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

meatpimp posted:

In my basement reconfiguration I'm losing a 12'x8' closet that was filled with a closet organizer system. In that closet, I had a comprehensive library/archive/stockpile of electronics. From a 1997 laptop/docking station to current stuff. As I was packing it up, I went through my shelves of different cables and threw away *gasp* a lot of them. RCA Video cables? Gone. RCA to miniplug video cables? Why was I even keeping those? Dozens of coax cables, scores of network cables, etc.

Of course, my wife is now WFH and needed a printer set up. A couple things didn't work and I needed a USB A printer cable. Of course I had 5 or 6 that I threw away... took me scrounging for an hour to find the one cable that was left in the house.

There's a balance between having a "backup plan" and hoarding. I'm trying to find that balance.
Are you me?

I had cables/pieces from the late 90s and went through and disposed of 90% of it a couple months back. Only kept some modern cabling, various doo-dads and HDDs (what's the best way to securely wipe them so you can turf?) and genuine video game collectibles.

So, 3 weeks ago working on my moms old PC and I needed a VGA monitor cable. Guess what... none to be had. gently caress. I had at least 2 of them before clean up. :(

I guess I could be worse because my garage is mostly used as a, well, garage. Cars and tools, and storage on the sides. So many of my neighbors couldn't park in their garage if they tried.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

meatpimp posted:

Gray. Gray everywhere. In 5 years, we'll be looking at houses and say "man, that's some 2018 gray." It works right now, but that trend is going to end soon.

BigPaddy posted:

Granite counter tops, stainless appliances, shiplap walls, HGTV has a lot of answer for.
Also missing the alternate colored island cabinets.
And I resemble most of the above :ninja:

My kitchen, built 2017. Seems much darker than it really is because most blinds are closed right now. I do like it though, it's not overly huge but pretty functional.

When we were house shopping a fun game was dating the house/kitchens/bathrooms. You can pretty easily nail the decade, and if you're really good get it within a year or two.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh that's nice.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I love open concept with open beam ceilings. My grandparents house built in the 60s was pretty much timeless, apart from the flooring, wallpaper, furniture, etc.

But the structure of the house was gorgeous. Beautiful large open bungalow with massive windows.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

trouser chili posted:

Go for it, man. My bathroom

You know that tub matches.

That green was a thing for sure, but I think it was finally dead and buried before the 70s.

I'm going to throw out..... ~1963?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

trouser chili posted:

You're the closest so I'm calling you the winner, although you fail by Price is Right rules. My house was built in 1961.
Jack and jill sinks in an bathroom, even in toothpaste green, in the 60s was downright swanky luxury. That's impressive.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

(c): Wait until the unit underneath starts flooding out and let them call maintenance.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Bought a bargain honda powered air compressor (20CFM!) and looking through Amazon for some general maintenance parts (the dipstick is just a plug on the one I bought, ugh)

But noticed that it seems like almost everything is available as some generic, presumably chinese aftermarket, and I'm wondering if I can buy the parts and build a new cobbled together "Honda-ish" GX270 made up of total no-name amazon parts just as a project. Because that might be kind of fun and a learning experience for the Mrs.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, STR not really surprising I guess. How accurate are the antibody tests?

TKD buddy of mine wasn't feeling well and self isolated. Turned out as negative and must have just been a bad cold or something. Thank goodness, both for his health and also the club because we probably would have locked back own if he was positive.

LloydDobler posted:

After 3 days on the market, I had 11 showings, and got 2 offers on my townhouse. First one had concessions, and they tried to high pressure me in to taking it by putting a same day deadline on it. Second was $2k above asking price with no concessions or conditions. I'm not doing showings today (to spend time with the kid before she goes to college in three weeks), so I'm trying to decide if I should take the 2nd offer or go for a sunday of showings to see if we can get anything better.

I'll likely take the 2nd offer if my realtor advises it. Securing a sale is more important to me than maximum price. We didn't see a loan approval letter or anything like that so my realtor is trying to find out if there's any risk of the buyer not getting their loan. If their credit and employment are solid she'll probably say take it.

Also side note: I'm trying to get moving quotes and everyone wants all your god drat personal info before they'll even talk to you. Sorry, gently caress you, I don't want to be god drat spammed and data mined to hell and back. Give me your quote and you might get my business. Simple as that.
You got an offer $2K over asking price with no conditions or concessions?

Why are you on the fence? What am I missing here? :psyduck:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 25, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Most stores here have literally everything. You'd think it's Dec 2019. Noticed wipes in stock last time I looked. Even yeast which seemed to be gone for 2 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

~PROFESSIONAL MANUFACTURE~