Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
virtual happy hour
virtual game night
virtual [thing that people are generally meant to do in person]

edit:

Ralph Hurley posted:

The music in ads

Background music should be banned in commercials until the coronavirus threat is at least MOSTLY over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Cyril Sneer posted:

Any ads taking the Zoom angle.

I said something like this in the dumb ads thread -- reminders that we're all separated & have to interact via Zoom/Google Hangouts are bad, and I hate them. I already hate seeing Zoom when I'm on Zoom, why the gently caress would I want to see it when I'm NOT on Zoom?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

BeefThief posted:

people calling this country the "united states of america"

Ooooooooohhhh that reminds me that the phrase "New York Strong" needs to die. Every announcement by Andrew Cuomo featured this phrase, as well as a lengthy description of its meaning, and it was just awful.

edit:

Twitch posted:

At this point, I would be okay with Covid just killing every celebrity.

I agree. That stupid Gal Gadot poo poo was hilarious though :haw:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Michael Corleone posted:

People taking their mask off to talk.

People walking around with their masks under their chin.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Pinus Porcus posted:

Oh God, my work does this. Every time we get an email with updates on covid response info, etc, somewhere there is #[companyname]strong. I generally like some of the dorky poo poo we do, but this one has made me cringe from day one.

Ew, I'm sorry to hear that. Such a stupid, empty phrase. Also, using a hashtag outside of social media is just complete bullshit altogether.

I want to also add that while I am not wishing COVID-19 on anyone, I would not be sad if every person who says "you're statistically more likely to die from [insert disease/malady/accident here]" for the purpose of letting people to let their guards down and/or take protections less seriously got it. Just saying.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Devonaut posted:

pretending that professional sports are going to magically be able to start again later this month, or that anyone gives a poo poo

I miss baseball a lot, but it's gone, indefinitely. I've made my peace with it. Despite the rumblings about it coming back, I'm staying cautiously pessimistic.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Long post ahoy!

Uncle Enzo posted:

White collar workers bitching about zoom meetings. Yeah they suck but you're lucky to have a job, shut the gently caress up.

As a white collar worker, I get the complaints (edit for clarification) but I also agree with you.

My REAL complaint is about Zoom meetings with family & friends, outside of work contexts. At best, they are a constant reminder of how disconnected we are from each other, how long we have been separated from each other, and how long we will remain separate from each other. At worst, Zoom meetings with family & friends feel increasingly obligatory in the "because we're separate, we have to stick together more than ever!" era. I love my family, and I hate to say this, but our weekly game nights are starting to fill me with dread. In normal times, weekly visits/get-togethers are simply not a thing that happens among us -- I visit my grandmother once every 3-5 weeks or so, and we all visit my uncle's family once every couple of months (my family is small). Seeing all of them weekly is jarring and vaguely forced.

It's simultaneously too much and not enough. I consider myself a fairly gregarious person; going out, hanging out, talking to people, all my favorite things to do. Zoom is the Sweet & Low to hanging out's sugar, and it's being funneled down my throat, and it's making me sick. Paradoxically, Zoom is making me, an extrovert, more reclusive.

I know there have been articles about this, and I can't think of any at the moment.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 1, 2020

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Uncle Enzo posted:

Oh I feel you there. I have a large, geographically distributed family and video calls have been a thing for years. I hate them (video calls). Anyone my family sets one up I duck out in one hour or less, it's about all I can stand. It's all the awkwardness of face to face without any of the emotional feeling of closeness!

I'd complain more but, you know, 2020.

Oof, I couldn't imagine doing this kind of thing on a regular basis over the course of years. You're a good son/grandson/nephew/brother -- even though I'm a goonette with a guy's username, I'm going to assume you're a dude.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Fister Roboto posted:

♪soft piano music in every commercial♫

♪slower sadder versions of songs that are already slow & sad♫

Jay_Zombie posted:

The flu kills more people every year than Covid-19 has!!!

Corona isn't that bad, my friend/son/daughter/inl-aw/cousin's friend/uncle on my mothers side's ex-wife got it and it was no big deal.

Masks don't stop you from getting sick so I'm not going to wear one!

A former acquaintance unironically said, in defense of his masklessness & his insistence that social distancing was bullshit, that he knew what was best for his body. I legit thought he was being sarcastic until I read the rest of his Facebook thread.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Fat Albert in a can posted:

we ABSOLUTELY should be scared of this, because until there is a vaccine it’s not going away.

This belief needs to spread more widely.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I read one account of a coronavirus survivor in which she describes waking up one morning nearly unable to breathe, with a feeling like she had a cactus inside each of her lungs, and that (in addition to basic consideration for myself & the people around me) was enough for me to go about avoiding catching/spreading it as much as humanly possible.

Also, I don't know which is the biggest "gently caress you" -- not wearing a mask inside a "no mask, no service" place, wearing a mask under your chin inside a "no mask, no service" place, or providing service to maskless people as a proprietor of a "no mask, no service" place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Pinus Porcus posted:

Nah, the biggest gently caress you is the stuff circulating Facebook telling people that if they don't want to wear a mask inside, just say they have a medical condition/disability, because then those dang employees can't make you do it! The sad thing is, most places really wouldn't touch that out of fear of being sued.

Wow, that is some serious bullshit. I'm really appalled by how most people are reacting to this crisis.