Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Problem description: My niece has a Lenovo laptop I'm helping her with. The original cable charger was broken/fried and the DC jack on the laptop feels loose (it doesn't hold a cable tightly). I replaced the cable with a generic one from Amazon, since the name-brand Lenovo cables are $40 to $60. The new cable does work, in that it charges the battery as long as the laptop is off. However, when the laptop is in use the battery continues to drain even when it is plugged into the wall socket. It drains about 1% per minute. The laptop also will not function without a battery in it, so there's no way to turn it on and use it plugged in but without a battery. Once the battery drains of course the laptop is useless until you charge it up again which can take hours.

Attempted fixes: My local PC repair shop suspects it's the wonky DC jack not providing enough power flow but they want $120 labor, plus the price of parts, to replace the jack. I hope that's the last resort. Google tells me there could a myriad of explanations, from bad DC jack, bad cable, bad battery, bad Power Management in Windows (it's set to middle/balanced), etc. I considered buying a 65W charger instead of the 45W one. I have no idea if that really makes a difference, but the original Lenovo brand charger was 45W.

Recent changes: The RAM was upgraded and the hard drive replaced with an SSD. It had these power issues prior to that upgrade, though.

Operating system: Windows 10 64 bit

System specs: Lenovo G50-70 laptop, model 20351, s/n YB06879380. Core i5-4210U 1.7Ghz, 16GB PC3-12800S RAM, 500GB WD Blue SSD.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU