Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
"Whatever You've Heard, It's Worse"

You know... with lines like that, I was expecting half the Raw roster to gone this week, and NXT GAB to be have massive card changes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Should I have expected anything other than a gently caress finish to the main event with Asuka standing tall to close the show?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

jesus WEP posted:

i loving HATE how wwe patterns every single elimination match this exact way

I mean... they booked Shayna Baszler strong at Elimination Chamber this year and eliminated everyone. Then she lost to Becky at Wrestlemania, lost Money in the bank, couldn't beat Nia Jax or Asuka in a triple threat match, and was last seen with back to back wins over Natalya 1 1/2 months ago.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Codependent Poster posted:

It was said already, but Sasha is confirmed a huge draw.

https://twitter.com/rondarouseyszn/status/1279055827618263041

I think this is a prime example that WWE knows what makes great matches people want to see, and they choose to just not give them to us because they don’t know how to book the finishes.

While Io/Sasha was a potential dream match they’ve been sitting on for years, the ending just made me realize that they never just want someone to go over clean. And I feel like we are just going to get more of the same because it worked last week

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Davros1 posted:

Anyone know the shows that were in the slot before Smackdown did in terms of ratings?

I did a post about this in a previous thread... let me see if I can find it

Edit: Here it is

Astro7x posted:

Blue Line = I took the 2018 Fox Fall Friday Night lineup from October 4th until Jan 25th (14 weeks total), but removed a few weeks like the World Series which skewed the whole chart. It was primarily Last Man Standing, The Cool Kids, and Hell's Kitchen with all new episodes, except the week of Dec 1st and Dec 28th where they had reruns. So averaged out each show for the rating for the evening.

Purple Line = Is the 2019 Smackdown Ratings on Fox for that same period of time in 2019.

Brown Line = I took a 14 week stretch of shows from Summer 2019 where Fox was priamrely in reruns from June 14th to Sept 27th, 2019. The week of June 14th had US Open, and Sept 27th had the Smackdown Best Of special for the 8pm hour. But other than that, pretty much all reruns of shows like Beat Shazam, Hells Kitchen, Master Chef, First Responders, Beverly Hills 90210, and Prodigal Son.

Green Line = I averages the first run Fox ratings from Fall 2019 (Blue Line) with the Summer Rerun numbers (Brown Line) to see what the Friday Night time slot averages with first run and rerun programing. Over 14 weeks.

The conclusion? With those ratings, Smackdown wasn't that much different than the average. The 14 weeks stretch of New and Rerun programing in 2018 averaged 2.485M for the night. 2019 SD ratings averaged 2.591 for the night.

Of course... that is with Smackdown's debut numbers raising that up a tad, and not factoring the sub 2 million empty arena show numbers they've been getting. Which I think proves the point that if Smackdown cannot get their numbers up, Fox can get better ratings with their traditional programming block and airing reruns, which defeats the whole argument of "Smackdown may get a lower number, but it gets better ratings in the summer!"

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 5, 2020

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Seams posted:

There’s a lot of terrible poo poo in attitude era Raws but the show moves at such a frenetic pace that the bad poo poo doesn’t usually last too long before you’re on to the next thing. They’re so much more watchable than modern Raws which are such a slog to get through

This right here. lovely match between two people you don’t like? It’s 4 minutes tops and last part of a segment.

These days? That match is getting three segments and interrupted by 2 commercials, and will have a gently caress finish as well.

I am always amazed at how many wrestlers they manage to give screen time to in the 1 hour episodes of WWF Superstars. They’d sometimes get like 50 people on there. Even if it was like a short 30 second promo

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Make me wonder what WWE will rename the COVID empty arena era

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

spongeh posted:

I figured it was probably a reference to the WCW belt, but sure let's go with secret subconscious nazi instead.

We all know the reality though.

The title probably looked more like this (excuse my lazy as gently caress photoshop)

Then the conversation probably went like:
Vince: "Damnit, how are people going to know that they are the CHAMPION, make CHAMPION even BIGGER!"
Belt Guy: "But sir, if we do that, we'll cut off the top of the wings and then it will look...."
Vince: "I don't care, the word CHAMPION should span across the entire title.

Edit: I actually just realized that the title does have the proper number of stars and stripes at least.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 7, 2020

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Jerusalem posted:

In the interests of positivity, goddamn are Sasha and Bayley an amazing team, and pairing them off against Asuka and Kairi is great:

https://i.imgur.com/vFlI74S.mp4

This is a prime example of why the women should be exempt from the brand split. Dividing the roster into fourths just doesn't work when you have your top talent separated on four different shows, and leave each champion to have like 2 legit challengers that are opposite of heel/face from the champion

Like my dream scenario would be
-Let the women go between brands (kind of doing that with the tag titles)
-Merge the main Raw/Womens women's title into one title.
-Make some sort of secondary title for your Lacey Evans, Lana, Mandy, Liv Morgan level talent to fight over.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Cerebral Bore posted:

Tag u're self, I'm the promotional poster where less than half of the featured characters are actual active roster members.

That's kind of what I want out of a WWE game these days. I don't really care if Austin Theory or Cameron Grimes are in the game, but I'm more excited to see Yokozuna and Andre The Giant in there.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Dexo posted:

You realized they booked that match before anyone would have known that Mox was gonna miss Fyter night 2.

They were counter-programming Mox/Cage, not OC/Jericho.

Well they blew that match to go up against OC/Jericho because their stupid lack of testing put Mox at risk.

So now what are they going to counter program with next week?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
If the match doesn't end like this, I'll be disappointed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqvuGqr-u2Y&t=251s

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

fatherofmustard posted:

Vanessa Borne is getting called up to the main roster according to Fightful.

Good for her... she's had like 4 wins on TV over the past 4 years. If they're going to do jack poo poo with you, may as well make more money doing jack poo poo.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I completely forgot that they called up Belair

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

blunt posted:

She appeals to ARE TROOPS chuds.

What I've never understood is that they have like... ONE person that fits some niche. Like they have Rey Mysterio or Andrade and you hear "WWE is really trying to go after the latino market." Do they expect people to tune in for that 1 person and then watch all 9 hours of their programming that they are not on?

Like its one thing if you're a TV network and you have that one sitcom with the Latino lead, and you hope that they don't change the channel and watch the show after it. But wrestling is like... so much loving content per week, and you don't know when the person will be on, if at all, and I just don't get it

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Lid posted:

reminder that they were trying to pop NXT numbers with Charlotte before they finally gave up and gave Sasha a shot and oh look it turns out Sasha and Bayley are more popular than Charlotte

you would think that the popularity on Raw/SD would translate to bigger NXT numbers than barely beating out AEW. I know it's impressive to beat AEW, but is adding an extra 100,000 to 200,000 viewers that meaningful when you can draw 1.7M on Raw?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So let me get this straight.... Lana has said that both of her parents have COVID, Rusev has said that he has COVID. Lana and all the girls that she was vacationing with and posting videos on TikTok have been off TV since the testing began. But this awful loving company just won't let her say that she has COVID?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

NorgLyle posted:

I only started watching NXT basically two weeks before Ciampa's final Takeover before his neck sidelined him and consequently I don't think I really 'get' what makes him (and Gargano) particularly special. He seems okay and he puts on good matches with certain people but if you asked me whether I'd rather watch Ciampa or Cameron Grimes vs Keith Lee I'd have to seriously think about the answer. His character since returning from the injury is pretty much textbook 'worst WWE booking' stuff where he's a creepy weirdo dickhole that we were supposed to cheer for because of reasons.

I wouldn't say that Ciampa puts on particularly great matches. But the Ciampa/Gargano feud was the culmination of them coming in together in Aug 2015 as a team, the heel turn in Chicago in May 2017, and not getting the match between those two until April 2018. It was one time where the whole feud wasn't crammed down your throat in a 4 week period in between PPVs.

I think they faced each other about 2 too many times. They had 3 Takeover matches and that One Final Beat cinematic match, and the last two didn't feel special to me at all.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

1glitch0 posted:

Oh please. She can do whatever she wants. If she doesn't want to take unnecessary things out of her body that has poisoned her twice, and an implant that has had a history of leaking or bursting in women wrestlers and causing them harm, that is her choice. I don't think it's a wise one. I don't think wrestlers should take steroids either! Get off your high horse.

Seriously... it's bad enough that these women are getting called ugly on Twitter any time they make a post. They know the risks, let them do what they want to do.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I just listened to a 3 hour long Zoom call about how my kid's school may or may not be reopening in the fall, and I assume that it was more entertaining than whatever the hell Raw was

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Been Standing in line at the Secretary of State for 3 hours now to renew my license. Back is killing me... why do they make those trainees stand for 10 hour days?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Hirez posted:

When is the next quarterly report due? I legit wanna see how many active subscribers they have now / how many they bled by cancelling the free trial month.

They always separated paid and trial customers. The will pump up the numbers by saying anyone that logged in one time during the free tier period this past 3 months is a free customer that can be converted to a paid customer.

Chris James 2 posted:

Basically any defense of this is now gone

The old consistent go-tos were "well at least they have 2mil weekly viewers they can't get rid of no matter what" and "well they'll be back next week if they're not here this week". Right now, with nothing else to watch, that's definitively no longer the case. They're losing a significant amount of viewers, it's not just happening annually or monthly anymore, it's happening in significant proportions each week, and with the regularity it's clear a significant amount of the viewers they lose aren't coming back, just like a significant amount of the viewers they lost last year, and the year before that

A go-to for a bit was "well yeah they're bleeding viewers but so is everyone else". There have been entire years recently where they bled viewers at a faster pace than anyone/everyone else, and right now during quarantine they've been bleeding more monthly than anyone/everyone else. And now they're having a month where they're bleeding more even Weekly than anyone/everyone else

"Well at least 18-49 demo is still there". It's cut in half from a year ago. A significant amount of them are gone, have been gone, and aren't coming back

The huge problem is not only that the show is getting worse, but it's really hard to get back into it as a lapsed fan. I feel this way with NXT. I stopped watching it when AEW started, and I tune back in to NXT and it's 80% new people that I don't care about.

I tune into Raw, and it's feeling like the same thing. It has familiar names that I just don't care to see, names I love that are not being used properly, and then this very small segment that is being done right. But will I sit through a 3 hour Raw because I don't know when the Sasha Banks match will be on? Oh god know....

They have the roster to make a solid 2 hour show, but there is no A and B show. Everything feels like the C- show and is not worth my time. Wrestling is good when it's live, and they are getting me to stop watching live.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Aphrodite posted:

A few of the women's roster did media interviews that all asked about their Evolution 2 wishes this week, so I'd expect an announcement for that soon since nothing in WWE is ever organic.

The Bump was pretty much a look back at the women's revolution today with Stephanie, The Bellas, and Charlotte

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Was the main event worth watching? I just couldn’t bother with no build and the likelyhood of a gently caress finish.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Everyone outside of the US is just streaming/torrenting it anyway

So if nobody is watching on TV, and they can't do live shows outside of the US... where is their loving revenue stream coming from with these countries? Certainly not video games of network subscriptions. Not merchandise if the are not doing live events.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

skaboomizzy posted:

Eventually the hot indie peeps are gonna get wise to this and laugh when NXT Paul offers them a four-year contract.

Go to NXT for 1-2 years and then do six-minute matches on Main Event while only making your downside and paying to go on the road 250 nights a year (assuming the country isn't a burned out plague husk), what a deal!

People wouldn't take the deal if it was for less money. A lot of people seem to be happy with cashing a paycheck and flying out to sit in catering.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

bartok posted:

#NaomiDeservesBetter is currently trending. They must have jobbed her out something special tonight.

She returned at the Rumble, has only won a single match against Carmella in February. Racking up losses against Lacey Evans, Bayley, Sasha, Tamina, and Dana Brooke

Why even bring her back? A return is when you're at your hottest

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Procrastinator posted:

wasnt their last one before covid like 3 or 4 years ago

I don't know why I did this. Here are all the people released since 2008 by year. I just kept going and was getting fascinated by how many people have been released multiple times or have recently come back that were released like 10 years ago.

2019:
TJP
Hideo Itami
Rhyno
Jordan Miles
The Ascension
Sin Cara
Tye Dillinger
Luke Harper
Goldust
Dean Ambrose

2018:
Enzo Amore
Rich Swann
Abby Laith
Big Cass
Neville

2017:
Mada
Rosa Mendes
Jack Swagger
Simon Gotch
Austin Aries
HoHo Lun
Eva Marie
Emma
Darren Young
Summer Rae
Bronson Matthews
James Ellsworth

2016:
Bull Dempsey
Marcus Louis
Sylvester Lefort
Hornswaggle
Alex Riley
Zeb Colter
El Torito
Cameron
Santino Marella
Wade Barrett
Damien Sandow
Brooklyn Brawler
Cody Rhodes
Adam Rose
Eden Stiles
ZZ
Ryback
Alberto Del Rio
Sarar Lee

2015:
Justin Gabriel
Rey Mysterio
AJ Lee
CJ Parker
Hulk Hogan
Layla
Billy Gunn
Solomon Crowe
Brad Maddox

2014:
Kaitlyn
Sin Cara (Original)
Ezekiel Jackson
Mason Ryan
Teddy Long
Evan Bourne
JTG
Brodus Clay
Curt Hawkins
Aksana
Yoshi Tatsu
Camacho
Jinder Mahal
Drew McIntyre
CM Punk
Vickie Guerrero
Ricardo Rodriguez
Alberto Del Rio
Justin Roberts
Great Khali

2013:
Trent Barreta
Eve
Derrick Bateman
Percy Watson
Matt Striker
Ted Dibiase Jr
Jim Ross
Tony Dawson

2012:
Goldust
Nikki Bella
Brie Bella
Edge
Maxine
Kharma
Abraham Washington
Chris Jericho
Tyler Reks
Kelly Kelly
Beth Phoenix

2011:
Finlay
Michelle McCool
Michael Tarver
Jacob Novak
Chavo Guerrero
Melina
Vladimir Koslov
Chris Masters
David Hart Smith
Lucky Cannon
Todd Grisham
Gail Kim
Maryse
John Morrison
Jack Korpela
Eden Stiles

2010:
Tommy Dreamer
Eric Escobar
The Hurricane
Paul Burchill
Maria
Charlie Hass
Mickie James
Katie Lea Burchill
Shelton Benjamin
Funaki
Brian Christopher
Jimmy Wang Yang
Mike Knox
Tony Atlas
Carlito
Batista
Daniel Bryan
Savannah
Serena
Chris Jericho
Matt Hardy
Caylen Croft
Jillian
Luke Gallows
Shad Gaspard
Tiffany
Vance Archer
MVP
Kaval
Ashley Valance

Mike Adamle
Bam Neely
D-Lo Brown
Val Venis
Ron Simmons
Victoria
hardcore Holly
Gavin Spears
Scotty Goldman
Manu
Boogeyman
Ryan Braddock
Kizarny
Tazz
JBL
Kevin Thorn
Ken Kennedy
Umaga
Candice Michelle
Sim Snuka
Brian Kendrick
Ricky Ortiz
Eugene
Jeff Hardy
Lilian Garcia
Lauren Mayhew

Anastacia Rose
Bobby Lashley
Roadkill
Al Snow
Dave Taylor
Balls Mahoney
Torrie Wilson
Mikey
Trevor Murdoch
Ashley Massaro
Ric Flair
Jonathan Coachman
Branden Walker
James Curtis
Domino
Shannon Moore
Nunzio
Big Daddy V
Stevie Richards
Robbie McAllister
Rory McAllister
Cherry
Colin Delaney
Mick Foley
Lance Cade
Super Crazy
Paul London
Chuck Pualumbo
Elijah Burke
Kenny Dykstra
Lena Yada
Armando Estrada
Snitsky

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I thought the wrestling was solid and I was entertained. The 2 1/2 hour run time helps... if they put in the Big Show/RKO match and the MVP/Crews match it would have been like 3hr 15min and felt way too long

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I liked when they announced the Eye for an Eye match the trainees were banging on the hockey boards and shouting because they were excited for the match. Then as soon as Rollins won and took Rey's eye out, the crowd went silent and then started booing him. It's like... what did you expect to happen you idiots!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Red posted:

AEW Producer #1: We need to film Jon Moxley doing a promo about his match with Brian Cage. What should we do?
AEW Producer #2: Let's let Jon Moxley, a good actor, do things and we just record it. It's a 60-second clip, and his words don't need to be overshadowed by unnecessary and expensive effects or settings. I think there's a barbed wire fence nearby.

WWE Producer #1: Okay, so we need to film a swamp fight, how do we-
WWE Producer #2: HOLY poo poo LOOK AT ALL THE BUTTONS! STAR WIPE! STAR WIPE! NOW DO STATIC! NOW TURN EVERYTHING GREEN! OMG

They've been doing this poo poo since Halftime Heat, it's like they have the opportunity to pretape something and they have to break the 180 degree rule just because they can. It's so jarring to me... like that shot of the crane when Mankind lowered it down on The Rock. It just is so unnecessary and makes no sense

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Dell_Zincht posted:

Just watched the Eye for an Eye match and the Swamp Match.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

and they genuinely wonder why ratings are in the toilet.

Wrestling wise.... Seth/Rey was good. It was interesting to have a match where they were just trying to hurt each other and not get a pin. Like when they have HIAC matches and they try to win with roll ups and poo poo.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

blunt posted:

The first season wasn't terrible (it wasn't great either), but it's clear everybody lost interest after that and by the final never-ending season they'd all but abandoned the gameshow.

I remember tuning in one week and Titus said something like "I have 42 redemption points, whatever those are" and then just tuned right out

I'm surprised at the thought that Bryan had going into his gear and his hair, that WWE just gave no shits about

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Abroham Lincoln posted:

From what I've heard there were two sets of tapings done

nothing escapes the 50/50 vortex

It's interesting that, in theory, WWE could tape like 20 matches with someone before their contract expires and then just air them after they leave

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Dell_Zincht posted:

lmao that WWE refused to sanction a regular match on RAW between Orton and Big Show but happily sanctioned a match where the objective was to rip your opponents eyeball out of their loving head.

When AEW does a lights out match, they literally say that the show is over and that anything that happens from here on out will not be sanctioned by AEW.

But when yo have an unsanctioned "match", doesn't that just mean that the things that happen that are unsanctioned are bell-to-bell? Like the whole purpose is that WWE says "hey, you guys want to kick each other's rear end, that's fine, but we won't be held responsible for what happens" so they make the match.

So does that mean that Orton punting Big Show in the head could hold WWE responsible because it happened after the match? Certainly there has to be a limit to when the unsanctioned activity begins/ends, and that is within the match itself

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Chris James 2 posted:

Didn't want Kross winning two belts. Had to settle for killing Dijak instead https://streamable.com/x5a5ib

I guess I have to watch NXT to care about Dijakovic for that to mean anything...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Neodoomium posted:

I honestly think that NXT has been increasingly damaged by the fact that people straight up aren't watching WWE as much anymore in general, and those that still do are hip to the fact that the vast majority of the NXT roster has no future of note on Raw or Smackdown.

It’s this, combined with them adding a ton of new people when they went to 2 hours and I don’t care for the vast majority of them. And they’ll never really get a chance to shine now on a Takeover because there are like 5 a year and it’s the same 10 people on them every time.

Like do people like Timothy Thatcher, Oney Lorcan, Aliyah, Dexter Lumis, Bronson Reed, Cameron Grimes, ever-rise, Killian Dain, Chelsea Green, Kayden Carter, etc. really have a chance on making it on the main roster? If not, why are they on NXT each week taking up half the show?

I also feel like a lot of these people are only on TV because of the pandemic and them living in Florida, so next year it will be back to catering when creative has nothing for them because the big names are back

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Pylons posted:

Does anyone else feel like Vince isn't really giving enough of a poo poo during this to micromanage the show, since the word is he's convinced the failing ratings will jump back up when crowds are back?

He is so disillusioned.

Quarterly results are coming up. Wonder what the excuse will be.

Remember when he said on one of those calls that ratings were tanking and the reason was because of “key stars” or something like that who were injured. And when you looked at the injury led list the only person on it that was notable was Roman Reigns?

I bet he is going to put the blame on Becky this time.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Codependent Poster posted:

I feel like "sacrificing the title to save your friend" is fine for booking.

But it was off. Kairi didn't seem to be in any real danger since it seemed like a standard backstage beatdown. Sasha was dead weight so Asuka probably could have finished her off before going back for the save. Nothing seemed to reach the level where Asuka needed to make the sacrifice.

It MAYBE makes sense if the payoff is some Winner Take All match between Asuka/Kairi and Sasha/Bayley.... but Kairi is gone. They also had the option to write Kairi out with some devastating injury and Asuka doesn't make it in time to save her.

MassRafTer posted:

It rules so much that Asuka was given the title as a gift, went to a Double Count Out of Ring with Nia Jax and lost her title via Count Out of Ring. That's storytelling.

Well when you put it like that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Chris James 2 posted:

Dynamite's debut averaged 1.409mil

averaged. I am certain now that there was a moment where more people were watching AEW Dynamite on 10/2/19 than Raw last night. We're not even within a year yet where Raw getting AEW's debut rating will be considered normal