Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Selachian posted:

Heh. I'm old enough to remember having the original SRA set in elementary school, although none of my teachers made any organized use of it.

Oh wow, I haven't thought of the SRA in over 40 years -- your post made me suddenly vividly remember that colour-coded box!

Ytlaya posted:

I remember reading Star Wars books in 5th/6th grade (this would be around 1996/1997).

I was 11 going on 12 the summer Star Wars came out, and we had to drive to King of Prussia (just outside of Philadelphia) to see it, as there were no first run theatres closer to where I lived. There was no merchandising or anything associated with it like you get now, but a novelisation of the film came out (which I still have somewhere in storage). I remember being stuck in this awful caravan at the beach with my parents, reading and rereading this book -- all of my associations are with the damp, sandy mattress in the room I had as a bedroom, listening to traffic and people passing by within inches of the room all evening and into the night (the caravan park was between the dunes and the main highway, Fenwick Island, DE, just before the state line to Maryland, if anyone knows that era).

My parents were much older than average when I was born, so it was more like growing up with almost-grandparents -- we stayed in the caravan in the off-season, so whilst it was still autumnal/Indian summer warm during the day, it got pretty chilly especially at night. My parents would go to bed early, and there was no TV reception. Despite it sounding a bit grim, my associations with the book, being wrapped up in a cosy blanket, listening to passersby grow fewer and fewer as the evening faded into night, the close-by waves breaking on the beach, reading what I thought at the time was one of the coolest things ever...it's a good memory.

Lots of good reading memories as I've been an avid reader since the days of picture books and Berenstain Bears. I loved when we'd get those flimsy Scholastic book order forms (this was back in the 1970s); my mom would buy anything I ticked off. It was always a great day when you went into the classorom and there was a little pile of books on your desk. I still have a lot of them! I've in the years since chased up first editions of some of them -- Scholastic tended to edit the gently caress out of books, so it's been a huge pleasure to find a first, original edition of a favourite childhood book and there are new scenes and conversations edited from the originals. Scholastic used to (re)publish a lot of British children's books and totally change them for American kids.

I had to switch to a crap Catholic school in the 5th grade, and was really disappointed that they didn't do the Scholastic thing. The other kids thought I was weird because I liked to read so much :( Ah, gently caress'em -- I read everything in the teachers' classrooms for silent reading and book reports, and went through the entire library (which was only like a 6 x 8 cubby).

The library in my high school was one of my favourite hiding places; I spent a heck of a lot of free periods way in the back in the stacks, often hanging out with a pal. The librarian liked me, so she let us watch videos on the then Very Expensive VCR (lots of PBS stuff and RSC plays, but, kids, David Robb was hot in Hamlet. When I graduated, she let me take any book from the library that I wanted as a graduation gift, so I took a 19th century copy of Hamlet :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU