Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I remember reading Star Wars books in 5th/6th grade (this would be around 1996/1997). I would read them during classes and the teachers would get annoyed. Reading star wars books (and some other random sci-fi/fantasy like this thing, which I think was also written by a guy who did some of the Star Wars books - https://www.amazon.com/Heroes-Die-Fantasy-Novel-Caine-ebook/dp/B001MYA38W ) was basically my main source of entertainment and I would always be super excited after finding something new at Barnes and Noble.

Another kind of amusing book memory is the time I read Rainbow Six in 1998 or 1999. I remember thinking it was really hardcore and Adult. The only specific thing I remember is there being some line about peoples' heads "exploding like overripe watermelons." I went on to use this phrase in a Starcraft "battle report" a year or two later*: "At first my Hydras exploded like overripe watermelons at the wrath of the sunkens, but once they formed their distinctive half circle of destrucion the sunkens were goners."

* http://www.battlereports.com/viewreports.php?reportnum=2621 (it's amazing this site still exists and has these battle reports I wrote when I was 14-15; it's basically the ancestor of Let's Plays)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oh, another thing I remember from elementary school is Accelerated Reader, where you would take these computer tests on books and answer questions about them (with more points for longer/harder books).

I remember that the only person with more points than me was this Chinese girl in my class, and I got really salty about her gaming the system by skimming long books.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ms Boods posted:

I loved when we'd get those flimsy Scholastic book order forms (this was back in the 1970s); my mom would buy anything I ticked off. It was always a great day when you went into the classorom and there was a little pile of books on your desk. I still have a lot of them! I've in the years since chased up first editions of some of them -- Scholastic tended to edit the gently caress out of books, so it's been a huge pleasure to find a first, original edition of a favourite childhood book and there are new scenes and conversations edited from the originals. Scholastic used to (re)publish a lot of British children's books and totally change them for American kids.

Ah, I forgot about those forms! Yeah, the whole experience of getting the books was really exciting. I also totally forgot about the books getting left on my desk.

As for the republished books, are you talked about those books that would be sort of shortened and with changed language? I remember reading a Robinson Crusoe and Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (and probably others) that were like this.