Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

Someone please add him laying back down after he realizes what is brewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Supposedly the beans from the goon that sells in SA mart are really good

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

coffee snobs are aliens to me. I'm drinking some cold coffee I made yesterday afternoon. Usually i buy beans from winco but we're out so I'm just using some preground stuff, idk brand, i think it has vanilla who cares. it's a good bitter drink and drug, doesnt need to have weird plant or animal byproducts dumped in. doesnt need to be hot, the beans dont need everything at some specific temperature and steeping time, hit the button, drink the stuff. the first time i ever drank coffee it was sour because it had been sitting in the pot for weeks and i still liked it. you can straight up just eat the roasted coffee beans and its good. if i had my way nobody would even make coffee, we'd just make our beds out of wet mounds of coffeegrounds and you'd just suckle coffeedew from the night's sweat

one of my least favourite experiences is being in a situation where you have to pretend the extraneous labor that goes into a beanfreaks special methods are significant or impactful in any perceivable way.

Good coffee absolutely tastes different, sorry for your tastebuds.

It’s just that cheap coffee isn’t bad. It’s like people who freak out about domestic lagers being piss water or whatever, nah the worst you can really say is that it’s bland. Everything beyond that is just posturing. It’s fine if you’re into it enough to chase after the more expensive stuff with more varied taste to it, but there’s no need to act like you can’t even tolerate the beverage of normies. I enjoy the nicer coffees and can appreciate when a friend more into it wants to use their press and share a cup but I just don’t care enough and will happily dump some preground poo poo into a drip coffee and enjoy it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If you want to add some oomph to your lovely drip coffee, add salt to the water tank.

I poo poo you not. You won’t get salty coffee- the way a lot of drip coffee makers work is by heating water to boiling and sending the steam up a j-bend in a little pipe. If you raise the boiling temp of the water, the hotter steam helps get more of the good stuff out of the grounds.

Adding a teeny amount of salt to the grounds themselves helps as well by buffering out some of the acidity. A really teeny amount. A good sized pinch at most.

Just don’t add salt to your actual coffee, that would be goddamn nasty.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If you want to add some oomph to your lovely drip coffee, add salt to the water tank.

I poo poo you not. You won’t get salty coffee- the way a lot of drip coffee makers work is by heating water to boiling and sending the steam up a j-bend in a little pipe. If you raise the boiling temp of the water, the hotter steam helps get more of the good stuff out of the grounds.

Adding a teeny amount of salt to the grounds themselves helps as well by buffering out some of the acidity. A really teeny amount. A good sized pinch at most.

Yep, at an old job this guy taught me that a small sprinkle of salt on the grounds in the filter really cut down on the shittier parts of the flavor of cheap coffee.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Not to single you out cause I’m sure the salt can add something flavor wise but I hear people talk about the effect of salt on the boiling point of water in cooking all the time and I can only assume it’s a little bit of knowledge is more harmful than none at all kind of thing cause it’s consistently nonsense.

To get some hard numbers I pulled the first google hit, 58g of salt will raise the boiling point of 1 L of water by about half a C, (which is about 1 F). In American units 1 L is about 4 cups, 58 g is about 2 oz. So per cup of water you are brewing if you were to add nearly a tablespoon of salt you would move the boiling point from 212 degree F to 213 degrees F, which is incidentally about the difference between fresh and sea water. So unless you are brewing with water substantially saltier than the ocean, it’s going to have a negligible effect on the boiling point.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I grind charcoal-roasted coffee beans into a paste with my teeth and sniff civet farts and gargle with seawater.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Clearly a better technique is to use a pressure cooker to do a high temperature extraction.

Although at that point you may as well go for supercritical CO2

Bear Trade
Aug 8, 2010
I love a good cup of Greek or Turkish or Ethiopian coffee but nothing feels as home like choosing the Extra Energy carafe at 7/11

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I want to try the beans that cat thing shits out

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

Not to single you out cause I’m sure the salt can add something flavor wise but I hear people talk about the effect of salt on the boiling point of water in cooking all the time and I can only assume it’s a little bit of knowledge is more harmful than none at all kind of thing cause it’s consistently nonsense.

To get some hard numbers I pulled the first google hit, 58g of salt will raise the boiling point of 1 L of water by about half a C, (which is about 1 F). In American units 1 L is about 4 cups, 58 g is about 2 oz. So per cup of water you are brewing if you were to add nearly a tablespoon of salt you would move the boiling point from 212 degree F to 213 degrees F, which is incidentally about the difference between fresh and sea water. So unless you are brewing with water substantially saltier than the ocean, it’s going to have a negligible effect on the boiling point.

Beat me to it. Also, salt won't have an effect on the coffee's acidity. If you think adding salt makes it taste better, it's because you're just tasting the salt, and you like salt. There's no wacky chemistry magic going on here.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Please do not drink animal cruelty coffee

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It’s not like I’m going to give it laxatives or anything.

Would that work tho

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
watery poo poo the coffee or watery poo poo the later consequence?

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
i just drink around 18 cups of folgers crystals instant coffee until my pee gets aromatic, and then, the day after that, i recycle. for health reasons

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im all about the roasted grain drink

NOT!!!!

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
cops drink good coffee

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

ALL COFFEE ARE BAD

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Good coffee doesn’t need to cost a lot of money, it just costs a lot of money if people to make it for you

You don’t even need any special equipment, just beat the beans into grounds with a hammer

No fancy expensive machines necessary if you can afford a French press

Espresso is good (like real poo poo, from a moka pot)
Fancy weird poo poo is good
Diner coffee can be good too
I have a Nespresso and it’s pretty good
French press supremacy tho

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

i dump the grounds into a camping kettle and boil it

then i drink it and get all the bits of coffee grounds in my teeth

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
coffee nerds are even worse than beer nerds

brought to you by a guy who drinks Cafe Bustelo and Miller Lite

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I drank a coffee at midnight like a dipshit now it’s 2am and I’m wide awake

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

a primate posted:

Good coffee doesn’t need to cost a lot of money, it just costs a lot of money if people to make it for you

You don’t even need any special equipment, just beat the beans into grounds with a hammer

No fancy expensive machines necessary if you can afford a French press

Espresso is good (like real poo poo, from a moka pot)
Fancy weird poo poo is good
Diner coffee can be good too
I have a Nespresso and it’s pretty good
French press supremacy tho

French presses are delicious.

And (a sincere, since it’s hard to make that come across right online) thanks to everyone that corrected me about coffee chemistry! Adding salt to grounds definitely does make it taste way better if you have poo poo coffee though.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I don't like how gritty French press coffee is. Prefer paper filter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

coffee nerds are even worse than beer nerds

brought to you by a guy who drinks Cafe Bustelo and Miller Lite

:same:

unironically drink cafe bustelo boiled in a pot and cheesecloth strained into a jug every weekend