Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
just watch all the lectures on youtube. then pirate the textbook and read it. write a 5,000 word post on the subject then GBS will grade it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

pop punk posted:

For me professionally a degree is literally worthless. I was just looking into a backup plan of moving to Canada or south east Asia and realized my work experience won’t mean anything to someone deciding if I get to enter their country.

because of NAFTA there is certain professions that get automatic work permits in USA/Canada. if you become a librarian for example you can just cross into canada and accept a job offer. you dont even need to fill out a form or anything ahead of time they will take care of it at the border.

of course this applies to the before times. if you want to get into canada right now i suggest you move to detroit and buy a small boat.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cubone posted:

at big universities there's too many students for the professors to notice if you aren't enrolled, and their course catalogues are usually online
just start attending classes and they will eventually give you a degree
I think this was they did in "good will hunting", I haven't seen it

you can definitely sneak into university classes and learn everything they are learning for free. you can even tell the professor what you are doing and 99% of the time they won't care.

they will not under any circumstances give you a degree unless you pay them (a lot)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SO DEMANDING posted:

I got my degree from a nearby state school, was able to do some classes online and some in-person.

There's plenty of real (accredited, recognizable name) universities and colleges that offer online courses these days. But the thing is, online courses for the most part are loving terrible. Online education is pretty much a giant side-hustle for the schools, and sometimes even the professors (I had plenty of instructors who had other jobs and only taught part time, or taught at one school during the day and did online courses elsewhere). Some things work fine online, some instructors manage to do a decent job with the limitations inherent to online learning, but overall poo poo was far from academically rigorous, put it that way.

But it sounds like OP kinda wants a degree mill so eh whatever.

online learning does indeed "work fine" for a lot of things. and its great because it doesnt require a lot of effort on the professors part. so much so that you can do online courses from top universities for free. they dont give a gently caress you can get the reading list and the lectures on their web sites:

https://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

you can become educated for free very easily. obtaining credentials is another story of course