Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Poor Ross and his bad levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

That's just The Ross Experience in general :v: He does get 9 extra levels to grow, but his growths aren't very good so he kind of needs those levels if he's going to keep up with the non-trainees.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've had a lot of good luck with Neimi in the past. She typically ends up in my final lineup and is one of my frontliners after promotion.

Except for the time she she got 6 levels that were either blank or HP only. Then she sat on the Bench of Shame because it's REALLY hard to have an unusable unit in this game but she managed

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I've had good luck with Neimi in general, too. She tries her best, and it shows!

now watch me get six blank/HP-only levels in a row because i said that

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Exactly. Neimi tries her best at everything, even sucking

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

5: Spider's String

Wait, what's this totally unnecessary and pointless chapter?! It doesn't even have any archers!

Yes. Pleasant. That is certainly the word i would have chosen to describe a surprise visit from Valter.

Feast your eyes on this never before seen footage of Orson fighting something!

His palette honestly looks entirely new to me, you could have snuck in and changed it in the rom and i'd have come back to this and went like "oh is that what he looks like?"

I'm just going to run through this quick and dirty, there's really nothing i can do that will make a difference in the end.

Will try to conserve healing uses as much as i can, though, because the trio might need them when they show up next time,

Uhhh i don't know if you've noticed but we kinda outnumber you at this point.

:atlus:

I used up most of Orson's silver sword but it's not like i have a use for it anyway so

Speaking of uses, here's another fresh, pristine one!

And finally we have steel bows. Neimi's happy!

That's one well-used bow. Selling it rather than breaking it, it's just a waste of space.

I wish this was the Ephraim map. But alas it is not, so on to the foggy war!

"Did any of you chucklefucks think to bring torches?"

Colm thought to bring a torch.

Doesn't like what it lets him see, though.

Seth's' going to visit the village, because everyone else will be busy.

Ouch. Obnoxiously, these two both have swords. One has an iron blade, so it hurts!

Worth it in the end, though. Even got a weapon level out of it. It's at B now.

Gotta heal.

Don't want Natasha to take an iron blade to the face if we can help it...

Of course, i put her right in iron lance range instead because am v smart!

Anyway antitoxins. Probably never use them, but they're free.

Two soldiers suicided on Garcia.

And Natasha got stabbed a little but hey! Staff exp for Moulder :imunfunny:

Iron blade guy missed Ross and got another axe-shaped dent in his skull,

while his much less dangerous companion went for Colm

who's sitting here providing support bonuses for Neimi

so she can take out both the soldier and the archer who shuffles in to take his place.

Sketchy, but it lands!

And Neimi manages the other cav.

Awww yeah!

Garcia picks up an iron blade and A-rank axes. He knows all he's ever going to know about axes! Because he can't get higher than A before promoting, and after... don't forget what you're reading now.

Getting that staff exp.

Seth will distract some of the enemies so they don't clog everything up too much.

Seth is pretty good even without a weapon!

This time, Natasha gets the heal exp.

He misses Eirika on the forest.

Ooohhh poo poo you guys are early.

They're really nothing special, just... mobile. And behind us.

Maybe we can at least keep them from hea-

-ling... oh. :negative:

Sadly Garcia can't double and he doesn't get better at it either.

But he does set up a kill for Neimi with her steel bow!

Colm on a mountain should be able to dodge enough to survive the next round so let's move up and torch.

Heals.

Yeah, even without the triangle advantage Colm'd normally be rocking, a fighter against a thief on a hill is not the most accurate thing.

And on the other side, not having a weapon works in Eirika's favour because she has more evade against soldiers without one than she would with a sword equipped!

Not a scratch.

Ross takes a beating,

as two out of the cavs go for him and the third for Eirika, but he's fine for now. Going to eat a vulnerary next turn, though. And switch from the hand axe to the iron one.

That is one hell of a level to get started with!

That fast Colm support is so helpful for early game Neimi. She picked up the halberd, somehow!

:frogout:

A fighter went for Natasha and one of the cavs for Neimi

who at least got bulk out of it.

Gba enemies loooove units who can't counterattack. But that does also make them easy to bait...

Teamwork!

Garcia missed :saddowns:

Dang it, the spider's already way too close for comfort...!

Gonna chance it and run Colm straight up towards the boss and hope i can get a good look and then run people in and snipe him before that thing starts munching on Neimi's promotion item.

Hmmm.

This might be tight.

I can't just leave all these assholes to murderize my healers, after all!

I know!!!

Oh. Well that's not great.

So now i'm rushing. Taking Neimi and

dropping her by the boss, hoping Colm can manage to dodge another mage attack...

The cluster by the starting area's mostly handled.

Some more heals for the road...

...except...

...all these jerks go before the boss and there went not just Neimi's promotion but her statstick as well.

Yeah, you should be ashamed of yourself!

SO INSTEAD

We're going to push harder and since Garcia is my beefiest unit, he gets to be more beefy.

Garcia is charging, Neimi parks by the mountains again, and Colm heads up to torch and provide support bonuses.

Seth's villageing it up again but this time i'm sending Vanessa with Eirika into the corner so they're out of the way.

And Ross, although it's unfortunate that he can't get support bonuses away from Garcia, will handle the left side.

Soldiers still no threat.

Even to Neimi, who does the same thing as last time.

The big difference here being that Garcia is once more claiming a fort.

Neimi got a pretty good level finishing the archer.

Ferrybots ferrying ferrily.

And Ross heads for a tree so he's in a good position for the reinforcements.

Still love the Chunky™ lance wielded by knights.

Wow, that's more damage than Seth took all last run of this chapter.

Not too shabby, although speed.

We're in good shape now.

I've raved enough about the Colm support but it is so helpful before Neimi starts gaining strength.

I expected the northern cavs to come around to the right since i was pushing there, but they came down to the left anyway. Repositioning Ross to intercept! They still have swords so it's not ideal, but with a forest and a good stack of vulneraries we're probably fine.

Look over there!! It's a distraction!!

Healed Seth up, i need his 8-move butt to stay alive.

And the rest of him too.

This part is handled.

I know this may come as a surprise to some people but Garcia is not a horse.

Sadly we couldn't nab the halberd for ourselves this time, but it's probably fine.

Ross dodged the iron blade so he's definitely fine, at least for this turn.

This family is allergic to speed. He did get a weapon level that ultimately won't matter, too.

Rude.

Please stop making more work for me.

...i can't really remember the last time i saw this troub actually use her mend staff.

Ross took out one of the sword cavs just in time for the new guys to spawn in. But they can all only attack him so they should cluster up in the corner where i want them.

Don't be rude to the cleric, rear end in a top hat!

Most of the enemies below are grouping up around Seth, the new cavs around Ross, all proceeding according to plan.

I mean Ross might have a concussion or something by the time we're done but that's a sacrifice i'm willing to make.

Nice.

Taking out the troub might be handy, so she doesn't start healing the boss mid-beatdown...

Garcia!!!!!

Huh, there's a cav all the way up there. I wonder what he's doing.

We can see the boss, and no spiders yet!

Oh, i think he's scared because he's low on health and was trying to get to the troub, but now she's dead! What are you going to do now? Huh?!

I think Colm's safe, the soldier can't reach him and the mage can't oneshot.

Ross is getting javelin'd so it's hatchet time.

Huh, that cav's still coming! Probably gunning for the fort.

What did i say about being rude to clerics?

And that is extra rude! You absolute turd burglar!!

Yes yes i know we're working on it

Colm gets shocked again,

but it's all good as long as it leads to some loving speed!

Healers will keep healing each other since i can't do anything about poison axe rear end in a top hat.

Can do something about you, though!

uuhhhh

No, it's fine, Neimi's got this.

Tell me you loving got this, Neimi.

:xcom:

So i have to heal Colm i guess.

He dodged anyway.

And the cavalier decided to stab Neimi in the face. Ow.

Well! This could actually have been bad. Not sure why he's going for Colm when there are nice squishy healers to be had, though.

I KNOW!

This goes predictably.

Ross finishes the last cav.

This isn't safe, but we also don't have the time or hp to try and clean up the other guys around here.

No, actually, your minions did quite well, it's just i have the power to reload my save whenever i want to.

Fortunately Garcia did not whiff an 83 and

Neimi didn't, either.

Eat it!

I will happily take more strength on Neimi.

And her promotion item, of course!

I mean, i'm not saying i'd feel good about feeding helpless civilians to a spider if it meant i'd be able to take things slowly and get some more levels on my characters for a challenge run or anything...

Anyway! We've cleared the map, so i better stop writing things before i have to start on the next one, too. We'll do that next time!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wow, getting a bit triggered by you losing out on these fantastic levels when reloading.

Though overall I think the replacement levels compared to the first time levels were more of a wash this time.

Still, I would have been livid reloading, that's for sure.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Some of them definitely sting more than others. But that's challenge runs for you!

i mean i'm sure if i were any good at this i might not have needed to restart but

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

quote:

turd burglar

Really? :raise:

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 12, 2020

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:shrug: I just wanted to make a dumb and not overly serious looking insult.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

6: Everything that's not bolted down

We're on to the last map before the twins reunite, and unlike the last one it has a promotion item we can't use,

and an energy ring on this mage which has to be stolen.

Colm may still be level 1, but he is still fast enough to nab it. The challenge, of course, being making sure he doesn't die horribly in the process.

Let's go!

They're soldiers, so we can just clown on them. Ross is still behind Garcia on levels so i'm going to feed him a bit.

Hell yeah! He might actually be on Garcia's level now. (Only 20 levels in...)

Vanessa's task, once again, is to keep Eirika out of trouble

and to that end she'll be sitting on some of the mountains where she won't get in the way of people who need to do things.

I think they've noticed by now, guy.

Spoiler, it didn't help much.

We're piling in. These fighters have steel axes and 22 attack which is kind of scary because the fighters don't have a lot of def. If we draw this entire pack, someone could easily end up dead.

I was thinking there'd be an archer up on the left, to actually use that ballista, but no, that was a change i made when i was editing Sacred Stones for myself. I still think that would make more sense! It would give you a reason to go up there and handle those enemies actively. But it's just a fighter and a mage and you can safely ignore them or let them come to you as you see fit. Since i only have three people who can do damage, Seth will wall them off for a bit while i deal with the crowd ahead.

Not great hit rates, but two hits from that axe and Ross is out.

Of course, i don't want him to get all the exp, because this is Archer Emblem and Neimi is the protagonist. Now she's in range to draw the enemy archer on the next turn, too.

This guy's the biggest problem because i don't want to kill him.

But that's for later. Neimi drew and killed the archer and uuuugghhhhhh.

Seth will choke this point.

Ross got a pretty good level off the second steel axe fighter.

This guy came down from above, even though we're not in range; the other three won't move until they can start hitting us.

There is a ballista up top so Vanessa's just chilling on the bottom of the map for now.

They can actually do damage to Seth, but he has vulneraries.

The attack ranges mostly overlap, buuut

we can safely draw the mercs without pulling the mage, and since Colm is very squishy, that's what we're going to do.

Garcia crit the first. The other lives, for now.

We're in ballista range but it has like no hit.

Neimi's still too weak to do this without support, but she manages with the steel bow.

And now, since Ross has more res than Garcia (and doesn't have a bow that will kill on a counter), he gets to draw some fire.

Meanwhile, Moulder patches up Garcia.

Okay fine, he got to draw some lightning.

Colm dodged another ballista bolt,

and Neimi, now within support range, onerounded the mage. Progress! She now has B bows, which might actually matter.

Even the smallest scratches are worth exp. I'm still not sure how it works when you're "wounded" because you gained more max hp but technically haven't been damaged. Maybe it just represents working so hard you re-open an old wound or something...?

or maybe i'm just overthinking the videogamey videogame mechanics in this here video game shut up

Worth it, anyway!

Ross will kill the ballista nerd and his ineffectual fighter bodyguard.

Squish!

The fighter survived one round, but doesn't live through the next.

Now then, we can move Vanessa closer to the seize point and get started on the last enemies.

With the important bit handled, i pulled Seth from the bridge so these two could come closer. I didn't want them messing up the energy ring grab, but now it's fine. Neimi killed both of them and picked up a pure water.

The second soldier

dropped a decent level.

I'm trying to keep Neimi and Garcia together for their support, but it's been slow so far.

Still, she was able to get stats by a different method.

Now it's safe to drop off Eirika so she can seize as soon as we remove Whatshisface.

Not the greatest showing with just an iron bow and no supports.

Gee, maybe you should have i dunno put some loving archers on them or something...?

+2 damage, +10 hit, +7 crit from Colm's B support. Better!

I still went for the steel bow but didn't have much for it.

Murray only does 20 damage tops to Neimi per turn so it's completely safe to leave her 24-health self in front of him and just heal up when she takes damage.

She crit.

:iia:

We also pick up the knight crest i may end up selling for bow money,

a final support rank with a very unimpressed Colm,

and a B support between the axe boys!

Then i camped for like 10 turns so i could get Neimi and Garcia up to C as well. With all that, it should make her damage pretty decent in the next chapter!

And then, we seize. I sure hope there's nothing fishy about

Oh no!!!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

vilkacis posted:

6: Everything that's not bolted down
Booooo! :mad:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Dad Joke Emblem is here to stay! :dadjoke::respek::imunfunny:

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

It seems like you're getting more one and two stat levels than normal.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I think i just bitch about those more so they get more attention :v:

This update we have one level with 6 stats, one with 5, four with 3, and three with 2. So on average 3+ per level. Science :byoscience:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Since the route split is coming up I assume were doing erika's route since ephraim loses out on one of our useable recruits for half the game?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

On the bright side, you get to recruit Gerik early and you don't have to deal with the Phantom Ship :v:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
You picked Ephraim, didn't you?

Don't you remember; he can't be hyper-competent unless he's off-screen!

:cheeky: