Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Vilk, I don’t know if you’re a Banjo Kazooie person, but an amazing hack of it just came out if so: “Banjo Kazooie: The Jiggies of Time”.

https://n64today.com/2020/07/25/banjo-kazooie-jiggies-of-time/

It’s pretty insane what dedicated people can create in their spare time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Cattail Prophet posted:

Just spitballing, if you had handed Ephraim a weapon and left him in range of the Staff Assholes, would he have made a more tempting target? It's not like there's any danger of him killing your real units, so then you just have to keep him from getting in combat with any other enemies. Or would waiting for berserk to wear off still take too long to catch up to Rennac before he leaves?

I didn't even think about that. You're probably right in that Ephraim would make a more tempting target, but i'm pretty sure berserking characters get countered when they attack, and even if he didn't throw himself at someone who oneshots him (like Seth), he'd die pretty quickly because i can't heal him for four turns. (But i guess maybe if i gave him a 1-use javelin?) And there are two druids and the moment Ephraim is berserked, they'll switch target for the character who's trying to clear a path for him - who'll then immediately turn on and murder Ephraim because he's the squishiest thing on the map.

Even if you somehow manage to avoid that, getting Ephraim un-serked in a good position and at a suitable time to actually talk to Rennac seems near impossible, especially since Rennac has better movement.

Dance Officer posted:

Honestly, Ross' stat advantage is overstated.

Fair, but Ross is also a bad unit. (And Garcia isn't as great as advertised either, although mine always seem to be.) If you want a good axe user, you get Duessel two chapters earlier and he is practically invincible to physical attacks. Plus there are any number of other good units you could be fielding at this point.

I guess if you're on Eirika's route you get Duessel later, but then you get Gerik early instead and i'm pretty sure he's better than Dozla even if you promote him at 10.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

But Dozla has an awesome beard, so he's the best

However, this is also correct!

Leraika posted:

I appreciate all these fishes.

:keke:

TravelLog posted:

Vilk, I don't know if you're a Banjo Kazooie person

Hell i'm not even sure about "person" half the time but i've never played one of those games. I'm sure it would look very impressive if i had any idea what i was looking at, though!

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

vilkacis posted:

Fair, but Ross is also a bad unit. (And Garcia isn't as great as advertised either, although mine always seem to be.) If you want a good axe user, you get Duessel two chapters earlier and he is practically invincible to physical attacks. Plus there are any number of other good units you could be fielding at this point.

Ross is also a trainee with garbage stats who only becomes decent if you put a lot of work into him. Dozla is a mediocre-to-decent unit out of the box who stays that way. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
That's a pretty blessed Dozla. Weird to see him actually be useful.

Dozla's actual problem is Duessel if you're on Epharim's path, and Gerik if you're on Eirika's. Both of them make him look extremely bad. Dozla's stats are at least functional to contribute, but he definitely doesn't look good.

Edit: A bigger weird thing I have is why do they hate the prepromo snipers so bad. Compare Saleh's stats to Innes. Even completely disregarding Tome/Staff >>>>>> Bow, why is Innes only stat advantage 2 defense? Now, Innes is supposed to be faster than Saleh, that's a bit of RNG there, but the rest of Saleh's stat superiority is fairly accurate.

The problem is even worse in FE7, where Pent and Louise both join on the same chapter.... and Pent is literally equal or better in every stat to Louise.

Keldulas fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 26, 2020

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Intsys' hatred for archers is well known. I can buy Pent specifically because he's supposed to be kind of a big deal, but in general, yeesh.

Dance Officer posted:

Ross is also a trainee with garbage stats who only becomes decent if you put a lot of work into him. Dozla is a mediocre-to-decent unit out of the box who stays that way. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Right, i'll drink to that.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I find myself inspired to replace Eirika with Dozla (scaled back to a level 1 Pirate with comparable bases) and solo the entire game in order to continue the legacy of Fire Emblem Beard Awesomeness but I wouldn't know where to begin

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I find myself inspired to replace Eirika with Dozla (scaled back to a level 1 Pirate with comparable bases) and solo the entire game in order to continue the legacy of Fire Emblem Beard Awesomeness but I wouldn't know where to begin

I don't know about the making an lp side of things, but febuilder over at feuniverse should make the hacking pretty easy.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

WELL you could start by applying this patch to your Sacred Stones rom!

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Does this patch also replace the Dozla already in the story with an appropriately-leveled Eirika (or an inappropriately-leveled Eirika) or are there now two Dozlas

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

You'll just have to find out :ssh:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Bah. I tried to swap Eirika and Seth with Ewan and Knoll and it just crashed on the first map.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Dammit vilk, it's rude to keep a man to his word now I have to brush off my LP skills and figure out the best way to capture pics from VBA I hate you so much vilk we'd be best friends if we ever met in real life you son of a bitch

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:haw:

The good news is VBA lets you bind keys however the hell you want! I have screenshot bound to R2 (and turbo to L2 which is why i'm sometimes slow on the R2). I find it incredibly comfortable to use.

marshmallow creep posted:

Bah. I tried to swap Eirika and Seth with Ewan and Knoll and it just crashed on the first map.

Changing classes is weird, you have to do it in the chapter where they spawn in, not just the character editor. Where does it crash?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The part where Seth gives Eirika her rapier. Maybe if I just swap their portraits, classes and names but don't try to actually swap the characters themselves it'll work better?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Apparently i have nothing better to do with my time so here's Ewan Emblem, didn't test it extensively or anything but it seems to work, although Ewan only promotes when you get preps (chapter 4) so don't feed him like every kill or anything.

And now, for our main attraction!

Sacred Bownes FREE DLC part 3!!

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 27, 2020

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

The part where Seth gives Eirika her rapier. Maybe if I just swap their portraits, classes and names but don't try to actually swap the characters themselves it'll work better?

Welp, i was in the middle of my post when this came up. Yes, i definitely think changing the details is going to work better than trying to swap the actual characters! You never know when some event is going to be like "i want Eirika, where is Eirika? Well i'm going to sulk now" and everything breaks. In this case the game is probably trying to give items to a character who hasn't been loaded in, and then it's like :confused: :suicide:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Poor Rennac. He should've been with the rest of the team in those final maps...probably not doing much, in all honesty, but he couldn't be as bad as Syrene, right?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

As a combat unit (which is all he'd be at this point), he's honestly actually worse.

pre:
	Level 	HP 	Str 	Skl 	Spd 	Lck 	Def 	Res
Rennac	1 	28 	10 	16 	17 	5 	9 	11
Syrene	1 	27 	12 	13 	15 	12 	10 	12
Syrene's having trouble killing things already, and she's stronger and has stronger weapons. Plus she flies and gets infinite javelins while he walks and gets one (1) light brand.

And i wouldn't feel too bad for him, he's probably enjoying that robe he pilfered which definitely wouldn't have gone to him if i had recruited him :v:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
vilkacis is threatening my life, send help

(future updates should be longer, more coherent, and contain 95% less grumpiness y'all for real I'm so tired)

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 27, 2020

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Indeed :toughguy:

Goddammit i put in all this effort to give him an appropriate starting weapon but forgot to change the reference to the rapier in the dialogue box :negative: and of course that means i forgot in the Ewan version too :shepicide:

Man, Dozla's levels are shooting up fast. Also

Ross looks so done with this poo poo. I wonder how many times people have played this map over the years. How many times Ross' village has been destroyed by the same bandit...

Oh, and you don't need to play in a larger window, you can use irfanview (which is free) to batch resize all the images at the same time. File->Batch conversion/rename, tick the "Use advanced options" box and click Advanced, hit Resize and put in 200% (or 300% if you're feeling spicy) and make sure you do not have "Use resample function (better quality)" checked. And i'm sure the batch upload tools and instructions are still in one of the stickied threads.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I saw you give speedwings to duessel and thought to myself "well, someone's not doubling fomortiis". And it turns out that was right on the money.

I'd also like to mention that your Dozla was pretty average throughout the run, except for str. He averaged out in that in the end, though.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I like how even with her free levels, Eirika was only barely better than base Ephraim after their promotions. (And even then not really, because CON. Also javelins.)

Also, apropos of nothing, vilk, I'd just like to say that I appreciate your commitment to using :atlus: instead of... the other one.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Dance Officer posted:

I saw you give speedwings to duessel and thought to myself "well, someone's not doubling fomortiis". And it turns out that was right on the money.

I'd also like to mention that your Dozla was pretty average throughout the run, except for str. He averaged out in that in the end, though.

Worth it #duesselemblem

Dozla looks bad next to Seth and Duessel, but he looks really good next to Syrene and honestly Innes too.

Cattail Prophet posted:

I like how even with her free levels, Eirika was only barely better than base Ephraim after their promotions. (And even then not really, because CON. Also javelins.)

Also, apropos of nothing, vilk, I'd just like to say that I appreciate your commitment to using :atlus: instead of... the other one.

Much as i love Sacred Stones, it is perhaps very slightly... incredibly unbalanced, yes.

And i appreciate being appreciated! At some point i was going to use The Other One and then i looked at it for a bit and went like "uuuhhh maybe not" and then i found :atlus: instead and :atlus: rules and everybody should use :atlus:.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Duessel? More like Diesel. I'm pretty sure he had a higher strength than Dozla the entire playthrough.

vilkacis posted:

Worth it #duesselemblem

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:perfect:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So I finally got more than one day off work (yay!) because my roommate has an upper respiratory infection after he was exposed someone at work who was diagnosed with Corona (boo!) and I can't go back without a negative test (boo!/yay!) so I've got time to continue with Dozla Takes On The World if people are interested

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 8, 2020

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

This!