Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

So let's see if I have our fighting roster correct.

We have Ross(warrior), Garcia(warrior) , Niemi, Gerik(ranger), and Innes. Did I miss anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Doubtful. The only reason he let them in was to stop it from being the Niemi show for half the game. Almost immediately benching them flies straight against that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Since the route split is coming up I assume were doing erika's route since ephraim loses out on one of our useable recruits for half the game?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, Ross is excellent not for his stats, which are thoroughly mediocre but serviceable, but for his access to berserker. A sword master with a ton of hp, strength and stronger weapons is a VERY potent class and even a merely serviceable one can pop generals like a can opener.

His only competition for the king of 1 hit ko class is dozla and uh...
Even dozla's class can't salvage dozla.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Dance Officer posted:

He actually isn't, because Garm exists, and the spedwings are better spent on making Seth better.

Garm doesnt exist for 2/3s of the game and the argument that all stat boosters could go to seth applies to every booster for every unit.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Oh boy! Think of all the effective damage on fliers you'll get!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

1234567890num posted:

And on the bright side, you don't have to keep Dozla alive! :confuoot:

I forgot if you need L'Arachel alive, but you ought to anyway since she's Best Girl.

He doesn't need to but she's another healstaff to help sandbag all the damage being taken by the bow users meatwalls.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

vilkacis posted:

Ehhh i would not call Ross "better" even if you go berserker. He is only likely to get ahead of Garcia in speed by the time he hits level ~10 pirate. If you use both of them and don't blatantly favour Ross, Garcia will be a few levels ahead at all times and promote sooner, and gets +2 from Hero which will probably have him ahead of Ross again for a while. By pure endgame stats, sure Ross is better (especially if level-capped) but Garcia has him beat for the majority of the game and never has to be babied.

But we are definitely in agreement that bows are utterly goddamn awful, which is why this challenge run is a thing in the first place :v:

(I still think all bows should have 2-3 range by default and 1-2 shortbow would at least justify its ridiculous cost.)

Yeah, but you're ignoring ross getting +30 crit on promotion. That's a pretty hefty strength. Berserkers are the best, even lackluster ones like ross.

And yeah, it's kind of amazing that it took them over a dozen games to make bows not trash.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

TravelLog posted:

Counterpoint - Dozla.

But Dozla is amazing.

and also a terrible unit

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Keldulas posted:

The odd thing is that they're almost justified if you look at the future Fire Emblems immediately after the GBA ones. Go to Fire Emblem 9, every cavalier that promotes to Paladin is best off grabbing an axe on promotion (though that's partially due to lack of competition due to there being 2 infantry axe units period in that game...). Fire Emblem 10 FINALLY has the warriors actually not suck, and axes have a field day there too with swords being poo poo tier of the melee weapons.

But boyd is really good in fe9?

He suffers from no horse, but hes a beast that tramples the early game and still puts out late game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I presume the devs put nidhog so late because Garcia needs time to s rank bows.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsjJ1WWrV20

Eggs

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

amigolupus posted:

I've watched streams of Fire Emblem and read some LPs, but this thread gave me the push I needed to try out Sacred Stones. It's pretty nice so far, though I can see now why the thread thinks Ross is pretty bad. Despite effort put into babying him, the only thing he has to show for it is being slightly worse than Garcia.

Pretty much. If you take him any path but berserker he just becomes Garcia, but with a really rough start instead of a really strong one. Just go look at how close their stats in this lp are.

That said he can become a berserker and those are the best so I love him anyway.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Man look at all these items that talk about promoting dudes. I wonder why the game gives you those?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

To give you an idea of just how bad dozla's base speed is I was going to put out a list of people who have 8 speed or more when they join(dozla has 9 - 1 for promotion bonus), but decided the point would be better listing those that don't:

Franz - level 1, -1 speed, matches at level 3
Gilliam - level 4, -5 speed, matches at level 20
Ross - level 1 trainee, -5 speed, matches at level 9,6,9 after promotion 1(fighter, pirate, journeyman2)
Garcia - level 4, -1 speed, matches at level 9
Niemi - level 1, -2 speed, matches at level 5
Lute - level 1, -1 speed, matches at level 4
Kyle - level 5, -1 speed, matches at level 8
Amelia - level 1 trainee, -4 speed, matches at level 1 after promotion 1(all 3)
Ewan - level 1 trainee, -3 speed, matches at level 10 trainee
Myrrh - level 1, -3 speed, matches at level 6

In short form, he is literally worse on average than every other unit in the game (bar gilliam) promoted as early as possible and is only comparable to the slowest of the slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I find myself inspired to replace Eirika with Dozla (scaled back to a level 1 Pirate with comparable bases) and solo the entire game in order to continue the legacy of Fire Emblem Beard Awesomeness but I wouldn't know where to begin

I don't know about the making an lp side of things, but febuilder over at feuniverse should make the hacking pretty easy.