Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Genesplicer posted:

One thing that all the conservative fundamentalist Christians seem to be unaware of is the fact that not one single person mentioned in the bible could be considered their definition of a "White Person."

Pontius Pilate was Italian and killed jesus but I couldn't name another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Big Beef City posted:

He also backed Sejanus, initially, which is interesting, if you're into history.

It's something that apparently was used (I would guess almost certainly without evidence) to suggest that this was used against him by Jewish leaders as leverage to convince him to crucify Jesus.

In otherwords, he backed Sejanus because apparently Sejanus intervened on his behalf to make him governor of Judea (idk why). However, later on when Sejanus' own, larger power grab failed, Jewish leaders in his area of control realized that Pilot had thrown his chips in with the failed coup and said "We can make this worse for you unless you play ball and give us jesus". It's just that over time, like, nobody except Roman history nerds remembers who Sejanus was or why that was interesting.

That's cool I'm no history buff so I never heard of Sejanus.

I also have a notion that the gospels had to be reinterpreted after the fall of Jerusalem and the destruction of the second temple, and that the expression "take no thought for the morrow" only makes sense in a truly desperate scenario. I'm sure these aren't new ideas. Do you (or anyone) have any book suggestions that put the new testament era into the broader history of that era?

E: just saw your edit that sounds rad as hell