Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Kwathi posted:

Other podcast apps can find it if you enter the RSS feed, and then you can download it. Podcast Addict works fine for me.

This is how I'm listening to it as well.

Got it set to only download episodes while on wifi, and then listen during commutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Hostile V posted:

Very cool to hear about your AP, but do you have it hosted on something that isn't Spotify/Acast? I download things to my phone to listen to them because I don't always have an internet connection to stream on.

Assuming I set everything up correctly, it should also be on google podcasts. Or you can do what all these fine folks have suggested. I hope that one of those works for you!

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

a couple of month ahead of the podcast something bigger than ever before is about to happen in the actual game... no spoilers but i think 100+ people will die as a result of certain things certain players did.

i can't wait to tell you about it in like, half a year or something when the podcast catches up

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
"THE ROBOTS ARE REVOLTING!" wil be hard to top. Can't wait

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

This episode is going to be quite late due to me having a hard time being alive and getting all my poo poo done, apologies.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

oooooooooooo my god i never want to have to work this late on an episode again

it's mostly my own fault for doing so much other stuff that i really should have not prioritized though

Episode 29: Bookkeeping

enjoy

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Here's a cool triple post for you: I forgot that I said in the episode I was going to post some information on bot brains. Here's that information!

quote:

Bots
Bots use memcards – which have memory sectors – to gain skills
Resident memory sectors are sectors that are built in (not on a card)
Skill Package: A directive + memcard bundle
A rogue bot is called a Frankenstein

BotBrain
CITIZEN, a friendly reminder!
-If you find a stray BotBrain, turn it in to the nearest sorting, recycling, or manufacturing center for bots immediately! Failure to do so is treason.
-Never cause damage to a BotBrain. Doing so is treason. (Damaging a BotBrain that has gone rogue may be considered insubordination at the discretion of The Computer.)

KEY:
MS = Memcard Slots (Number of memcards that can be inserted. Memcards have various point values.)
RMS = Resident Memory Sectors (Number of built-in memory sectors. Each sector is worth 1 skill point.)
HRS = [INFORMATION REDACTED DUE TO CLEARANCE LEVEL]
CW = Compatibility (‘I’ for least compatible, ‘III’ for most compatible)

MAIN PRODUCTION BOTBRAINS:
Procyon-Class [V] | MS: 0 | RMS: 2048 | HRS: 64 | CW: ‘I’ | Not for Private Use or Sale
Cygni-Class [I] | MS: 10-18 | RMS: 44-50 | HRS: 8 | CW: ‘II-III’ | Not for Private Use or Sale
Aquarii-Class [B] | MS: 8-14 | RMS: 22-30 | HRS: 8 | CW: ‘II’-‘III’ | Not for Private Use Below [V] | ~300kc
Sirius-Class [G] | MS: 6-12 | RMS: 12-16 | HRS: 4 | CW: ‘II’-‘III’ | Not for Private Use Below [B] | ~40kc
Wolf-Class [Y] | MS: 3-8 | RMS: 10-20 | HRS: 2 | CW: ‘II’-‘III’ | Not for Private Use Below [G]| ~10kc
WISE-Class [O] | MS: 2-4 | RMS: 4-10 | HRS: 1.6 | CW: ‘II’-‘III’ | Not for Private Resale | ~3kc
Barnard-Class [R] | MS: 0-2 | RMS: 0-6 | HRS: 0.8 | CW: ‘II’-‘III’ | Unrestricted | ~400c
Centauri-Class [R] | MS: 0 | RMS: 4-8 | HRS: 0.4 | CW: ‘I’-‘III’ | Unrestricted, Extra Small | ~400c

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You're gonna tell us what HRS means, right?

It probably doesn't mean anything until you need it to, I'm guessing.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

So, what class is our good friend VoidBot?

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

KillHour posted:

You're gonna tell us what HRS means, right?

It probably doesn't mean anything until you need it to, I'm guessing.

You're kinda right and kinda wrong. Bot Brains probably have TONS of statistics, and I didn't want to make them all up. But I wanted to give the players the indication that this list isn't complete. Therefore I thought to myself "What's one stat the players cannot know?" and i put that in but censored it, so that they'd understand there's more information they don't have.

HRS stands for Human Relative Speed: Basically how fast this machine could solve a complex problem compared to the speed of a human. (Obviously not a math problem: they'd do that way faster. I mean problems like "Create a battle plan with this army against this army" or "develop a marketing strategy to sell this product". And naturally, bots would also need the relevant skills, and the amount they have in the skills could also change the speed they do it at... etc.)

Geemer posted:

So, what class is our good friend VoidBot?

Voidbot, I'm glad you asked, is a WOLF class with 5 slots. I'm not afraid to tell you that I have absolutely not decided what his resident memory sectors store, and i'm gonna just decide whenever it's convenient for me.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Episode 30: I am not IntSec

Mission 4 is finally here.

I'm also considering just changing the official release time to "before sunday morning" because lmao time management

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Episode 31: Attraction (Fatal)

A whole day late! Sorry about that, i'll try not to let it happen. Just had waaay too many things to do this week and i ended up with less done on saturday than I wanted to.

This one's a winner, though.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Episode 32: I Shoot Him

This name basically sums up the entire episode. Maybe you don't even need to listen to it... But you really should.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Gosts posted:

Episode 31: Attraction (Fatal)

A whole day late! Sorry about that, i'll try not to let it happen. Just had waaay too many things to do this week and i ended up with less done on saturday than I wanted to.

This one's a winner, though.

Being a whole day late threw me off, but now I'm finally caught up with both and ready for episode 33.

Both of these have been really good so far. Give the players the means to succeed even if they don't know what to expect and for the most part they seemed to have fun with it.

edit: seriously, my finger slipped as I was typing :downs:

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Gosts posted:

Episode 32: I Shoot Him

This name basically sums up the entire episode. Maybe you don't even need to listen to it... But you really should.

This is the good poo poo right here

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

VERY LATE AGAIN, my life is a disaster, but my paranoia campaign is not!

Episode 33: Gun, Skeleton, Bomb

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Hahaha, this one is on-time. I won.

The players, however, will not win. They will never win. They will only suffer.

Episode 34: The Ultimate Cure

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I've just started listening and I'm enjoying it! I'm sure everything will go well for our protagonists!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Voidbot :allears:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

This last episode has been my favorite so far. What a glorious mess they made

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

If Voidbot is a Wolf-class botbrain, does that mean the Yellow club member shouldn't have been able to own him? Or were there exceptions bc he was so trashed?

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

NEW EPISODE DROP

Episode 35: We're All Purge Friends

PetraCore posted:

I've just started listening and I'm enjoying it! I'm sure everything will go well for our protagonists!

heh

Slaan posted:

This last episode has been my favorite so far. What a glorious mess they made

In my opinion things pretty much just keep getting better. (With a few lulls here and there.)

PetraCore posted:

If Voidbot is a Wolf-class botbrain, does that mean the Yellow club member shouldn't have been able to own him? Or were there exceptions bc he was so trashed?

Oh, are you referring to 'not for private use'? Technically speaking it is a *public* club. They get funding from CPU by touting themselves as "A group dedicated to giving citizens more education about robotics and robot design methods, for use in cross-discipline work and emergency situations." and therefore they can get licensed to use stuff that you can't just have for yourself as a personal item.

At least, that's what I would have said if the players asked about that, but it never came up, so, who knows?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

In Kyle's defense calling in IntSec to shut down the test after getting Friend Computer to agree delegation is appropriate for Team Leaders had me in stitches.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
I'm enjoying the podcast but I would like to call out that it is 2021 and using "Gay" as a pejorative sucks and is a bit offensive.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

MaskedHuzzah posted:

I'm enjoying the podcast but I would like to call out that it is 2021 and using "Gay" as a pejorative sucks and is a bit offensive.
Yeah, I noticed that, too. I appreciate someone pulling back and apologizing to gay listeners, but as a gay listener, it sucked.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Ah, that's a fair point. I guess I should say a couple of things.

1. Very few of us are straight. I myself find calling things 'gay' hilarious as a concept, and we often say a variety of extremely offensive things that we find hilarious, however,-

2. I try to cut out anything in the podcast that I personally find to be distasteful humor. However, I don't always get every single thing. I am not surprised I missed some offensive things after so many episodes. I'm not actually even sure which instance we're talking about. (I did not listen to the entire episode again to find it. It's not like the context would make it less or more 'ok', so I feel I should just tell you what I have to say about it without checking where it appeared.)

It is my personal belief that if I am gay and so is my friend, it's ok for us to call each other 'gay', or even call each other much worse things as long as we both think it's funny. But I understand not everybody feels that way, so I try my best to make sure that we don't do anything like that on the podcast if I can help it.

I apologize to anyone and everyone who found it offensive- and I will try to make sure that we don't talk like that on the show in the future.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Thanks for bringing this up.

I felt really weird about it too since it wasn't just a one-off, but in a consecutive stream at one point.

Maybe putting a warning on that particular episode would help, Gosts?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Gosts posted:

Ah, that's a fair point. I guess I should say a couple of things.

1. Very few of us are straight. I myself find calling things 'gay' hilarious as a concept, and we often say a variety of extremely offensive things that we find hilarious, however,-

2. I try to cut out anything in the podcast that I personally find to be distasteful humor. However, I don't always get every single thing. I am not surprised I missed some offensive things after so many episodes. I'm not actually even sure which instance we're talking about. (I did not listen to the entire episode again to find it. It's not like the context would make it less or more 'ok', so I feel I should just tell you what I have to say about it without checking where it appeared.)

It is my personal belief that if I am gay and so is my friend, it's ok for us to call each other 'gay', or even call each other much worse things as long as we both think it's funny. But I understand not everybody feels that way, so I try my best to make sure that we don't do anything like that on the podcast if I can help it.

I apologize to anyone and everyone who found it offensive- and I will try to make sure that we don't talk like that on the show in the future.
Yeah, makes sense, and I'll certainly joke with my friends, too. It was just a bit jarring from the outside since as a listener I don't have that context or that trust. I don't think any of you guys are being homophobic, it was just a clash of private jokes and public audience.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 16, 2021

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

spacebard posted:

Thanks for bringing this up.

I felt really weird about it too since it wasn't just a one-off, but in a consecutive stream at one point.

Maybe putting a warning on that particular episode would help, Gosts?

Yeah, you know, that's probably not a bad idea.

Do you remember what the timestamp is for this moment? Or at least roughly.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Gosts posted:

Yeah, you know, that's probably not a bad idea.

Do you remember what the timestamp is for this moment? Or at least roughly.
I'll listen to figure it out, it's a good ep to relisten to anyway, haha. Will edit when I've got it.

EDIT: I did not hear it, I'm not sure if I was listening to the wrong episode? I'm confused.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 17, 2021

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

I listened to it as well but I cannot find it, so it must be in a previous episode somewhere. I'm not too eager to go through *every* episode, so just let me know if you find one.

On to other subjects though: Let's talk about being gay in alpha complex. That's interesting, and related! There wasn't really any mention of it in Paranoia XP, which I think is fine... After all, the game's stance is "every person is on hormone suppressants all the time and nobody has any attraction to anyone or anything whatsoever."

More recent additions have added more, though. Including one of my favorite lines in any Paranoia game books ever. (I have italicized my favorite line.)

quote:

GENDER AND SEXUAL PREFERENCES IN ALPHA COMPLEX

Thanks to hormone suppressants, extensive cloning facilities, real-time pixelation of genitals and genetically modified bodies and minds, gender isn't as big a concern to the citizens of Alpha Complex as it is to today's society -- gender discrimination is treasonous because it wastes valuable time. Women, men, cisgender, transgender, non-binary, and intersex people are all equally capable of serving the Computer, and all of them work equally well as reactor shielding should they fail in their duties, so play as whatever gender (or non-gender) you'd like.

Sexuality is a different concern; heterosexual sex is treasonous, as it makes a mockery of the Computer's extensive cloning facilities. The Computer has no official stance on homosexual activity due to a lack of programming on the matter, and treats it as a form of enthusiastic wrestling that is inadvisable when traitors may be nearby.

(Also of note: In the game I am running, there is no real-time pixelation of genitals, as that feature hasn't been developed by the wonderful folks at R&D. The game books tend to explain the differences between rulebooks as different 'eras' of alpha complex, and my particular campaign takes place sometime """""after""""" the events of XP, but before Acute Paranoia and other editions.)

I also may have need of some viewer participation... Far, far in the future, I am going to have need of a LARGE quantity of Computer Phreak user names.

If you don't know who the Computer Phreaks are, they are the 1337 Haxxzors of Alpha Complex. Most secret societies don't bother with code names because it's too easy to trace citizens with simply facial recognition or ME-card use, rendering them entirely useless except for special operations. Computer Phreaks, however, take great pride in keeping identities hidden from others- especially from other Computer Phreaks.

The code names for the Computer Phreaks can be anything as long as it's funny. Basically it's just an internet username- but it should relate in some way to the Paranoia setting, to programming, or at the VERY least it shouldn't have anything in it that would contradict with the Paranoia setting. (No real-world government or corporation jokes, no animals except bugs and rats, and so on and so forth.)

Some of my favorite examples that I've either used before, had players use, or read in books: (I forget which is which sometimes)

Syntax_Terror
roy_gee_bot
UltraViolent
fatbot

And uhhhhh I can't think of any more right now, I might provide more examples later.

But I am not kidding when I say I need a lot. And I need them to be memorable and preferably also funny. I figure you guys might have some fun ideas, so submit yours and I will try to use as many (of the ones I like) as I can! You might even be cool enough that I pick yours to be an important character.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

David_By_O
Matt_Riches
Multi_Ply_Prepper
pSUeDO
Trojan_bot
Up_to_load_good
CommandUSis
sear_O_DAY

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

FAT_Albert
M0d3mNOIZ
TehcSupport
BetaComplex
Friend's Computer
GigaHurtz

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Good stuff. I admit I especially like Up_to_load_good and Friend's Computer.

By complete loving coincidence, we're doing ANOTHER computer phreak related thing before the one that I had in mind, so it turns out I asked for names at just the right time. That'll be this monday... but of course you guys won't hear about it for aeons, sadly.

You will get 2-3 debriefings tomorrow, though, depending on how much I cut the fat on these. We'll see.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I honestly can't wait for the debriefings on this one, so much crazy poo poo went down. I'm especially curious for the fallout from the secret society blackmail stuff.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Also someone who is on the discord but not the SA named Cafe-R-LEY-1 made this incredible image:

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

NPC Load Letter
HAXX-R-FUN
0xA455
IsntSec
.com_bot

E: oh no once i pop I can't stop. These might be too on the nose but welp

Outside_the_mind_inside_your_machine
PART-Y-BOI

Sighence fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 19, 2021

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

CPScrewYou
Phreakin1337
InfraredPhishBluePhish
Mlem_Card
IndiGOTO

crimea
Nov 16, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Really enjoying the series so far, caught up on the whole thing throughout the last week and can't wait for the next episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Troublesh0t
oOo~NightHacker~oOo
No.1 Bot Programmer