Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Re: secret dice rolls

Just have dice drop at the cadence and tone of the existing "this is a secret thing" tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Trouble board game pop-o-matic dice, although I don’t know if anyone under 30 will recognize it as a roll.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rick posted:

Trouble board game pop-o-matic dice, although I don’t know if anyone under 30 will recognize it as a roll.

You show it to them and demonstrate it a couple times, then put it somewhere you can see but they can't.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Episode 52: Who Computer Wasn't Won't?

This episode also comes with a map! Feel free to open it at any point during the episode, although there will be an obvious moment that you might want to do it.

Also, one final spoiler to read after the episode is over:

Ram decided to have me not draw the spring on it so that the other players won't know it's there, so they won't go there and mess with the humanists if he decides to try to build his bio-dome there.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Episode 53: Death of Mind and Body

The start of many things great and terrible.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That map is helpful.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

As requested,

I guess getting blown up is the inevitable conclusion to Lightbulbian diplomacy.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Episode 54: Exploding Lights

Contains a player-favorite joke that we'll finally be able to talk about now.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Episode 55: The Truck Gave Me a Concept of Right and Wrong

This is definitely an episode. This really happened.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Sephiroth is a verb now apparently

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I want to also state for the record that I am not a psychopath and was laughing for similar reasons, lol.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Episode 56: Back Alleys and Brainscrubs

Congratulations, guys. We've officially entered late-game paranoia.

You'll know what I mean when you get there.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Not in the discord, but my bet is Lights, and 1 Episode

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

i'll keep track of your failures regardless, don't worry

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
That was a really fun episode. I can’t really reconcile bees constantly trying to document the other players’ secrets with her letting Ram do the thing at the end though.

I’m going to bet that Ram spills the beans in his next Illuminati debrief, which will be in four episodes. This is definitely wrong, but it’s fun anyway. I’m really curious about the propaganda monologue now.

Velius fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 15, 2021

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Bees spills it in 3 episodes

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Episode 57: AlphaNet Rots your Brain

I don't think you can get through this episode without experiencing immense surprise.

Gosts fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 22, 2021

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Episode 58: Is your Bot Brain running?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

That was of mine. :smug:

Up a rank in Sierra Club my love of Friend Computer

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Episode 59: Well then you better go catch it

The thrilling second half

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I’m still really enjoying these. I have to say that Bees getting brain melted was pretty hilarious, because of all the gang she’s the only one who seems unwilling to gently caress over anyone else in any meaningful way- even Psion had little real reason to do it except that she was too chatty about it. It’s not like our Corpore metal members. I guess that’s why she’s still kicking at this point. Is there generally a discouragement from multiple troubleshooters being in one society in a game?

Overall the amount of loving over one another seems pretty low this game. I don’t think anyone has even reported another player since maybe the first mission. Now that they all have leverage I imagine it’ll be even lower. It’s pretty surprising compared with some of the more Zap type podcasts/youtubes from the discord.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

There's no real problem with players being in the same society, although if someone is running paranoia for the first time, i wouldn't do it. It's basically the same but you need to be smarter about people's missions, and giving them reasons to hate each other. For example, make degrees more complex. There's an opening for a 5th degree member, but only one spot available...

For this campaign, I rolled everyone's society completely at random (other than allowing players to reroll using their perversity points). I actually WAS ready to possibly fudge things. I didn't want a bunch of people in the same or similar societies, because that would have made for a less interesting podcast. But it didn't happen that way so it's all good.

As for not turning each other in, well. Yeah. It's just kind of happened that way. I think all my players have played enough to know that if you turn someone in, nobody will trust you anymore. Therefore, you need to either be getting a reward that's worth it, or, you need to have other people on your side. For example, if one person does something that's just too drat treasonous, people might group up to get them sunk.

People HAVE considered turning other people in, or so they've mentioned to me briefly, but usually decide against it. I'll let you guess as to who was thinking about doing what, though.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

MISSION 6 FINALLY BEGINS

Episode 60: Beach Episode?

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Oh poo poo i edited the OP but i forgot to post

Episode 61: Dangling Above the Skill Floor

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Do it. Do the stupid thing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Gosts posted:

I am actually *mostly* using the paranoia XP books, and some content and ideas from earlier editions. But I took a lot of the dice-rolling rules from the newest editions, which is probably why it seems that way. Also, feel free to take any ideas from my games to use it yours: I have definitely taken some ideas out of other people's paranoia content. You should feel free to do the same!

I am going to set up a game as a side game for my weekly online group for when someone misses.Having read most of XP and most of the latest edition I think I kind of want to do something similar as you are doing. I prefer the setting of XP but the rolling success conditionsare . . . .very difficult for me to understand and seems to result in very very few successes when I was playing with rolls in roll 20. It seems like it requires perversity points for everything.

So do you just have people roll the number of dice as points they have in the skill? And ignoring the computer dice? And then perversity points for special rolls? Is that why some people have like 20 dice rolls and such? Or is that just a joke?

One of my future players already was arguing with me about hating dice pools despite having never played a dice pool game and "what if I had zero points" (I tried to explain the default points were 4). . . . so I told him he could just use buttons that come with the roll 20 sheet for XP and he could take his chances there which feels very in the spirit of the game somehow.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Rick posted:

I am going to set up a game as a side game for my weekly online group for when someone misses.Having read most of XP and most of the latest edition I think I kind of want to do something similar as you are doing. I prefer the setting of XP but the rolling success conditionsare . . . .very difficult for me to understand and seems to result in very very few successes when I was playing with rolls in roll 20. It seems like it requires perversity points for everything.

So do you just have people roll the number of dice as points they have in the skill? And ignoring the computer dice? And then perversity points for special rolls? Is that why some people have like 20 dice rolls and such? Or is that just a joke?

One of my future players already was arguing with me about hating dice pools despite having never played a dice pool game and "what if I had zero points" (I tried to explain the default points were 4). . . . so I told him he could just use buttons that come with the roll 20 sheet for XP and he could take his chances there which feels very in the spirit of the game somehow.

Yeah, I don't really use the computer dice. I feel like if something gets friend computer's attention or not should be determined by the game itself, not just by random dice rolls. I also keep the default of 7 for skills from XP, but you can do 4 or anything you want, just as long as you adjust the threshold of what is considered a 'good' roll in order to be more manageable. And if you have zero points in something, well... you just are really bad at it and there's not much to be done! Good luck with your game!

(And yes it's a joke when people say they're rolling 20 dice. The most anyone has in anything at this point in the game is probably like... 13 or 14, and adding 5 with perversity would be close to 20, but i don't think that actually has happened so far.)

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Episode 62: This game sucks

it's that time again

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Episode 63: Abrupt End to the Fun

Don't be alarmed by the title. Or the contents of the episode. Just stay calm at all times and let the computer handle it.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Hopefully the devs of the MMO got demoted for making a game so terrible that The Thing could happen. It's only just :catstare:

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Oh man, the struggles with a door were hysterical. ”The holes are about the size of a grain of rice”

“Maybe this time I can make a bigger hole!”

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
That was a great episode. Thanks as ever for doing these Gosts.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

You're welcome! Thanks for listening.

Episode 64: On the Toilet: Sweating

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I gotta say 'gently caress that guy, make me green' may be my favorite moment in the podcast to date.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Did not see this as the reason for sweating on a toilet but this reason is hilarious

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Phone editor tier shop job but it gets the idea across

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Love it!

Also, naturally:

Episode 65: Unfortunate Lights

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Episode 66: Is anything gonna happen to me?

Moving right along and praying there are no landmines buried for us

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Hm. I have to say it feels like Bees is getting off light easy here. I was hoping there would be some sort of personality backdoor that Psion implanted to make bees infiltrate some other group or groups and report back to get back in their good graces. Of course if such a thing we’re going on you would definitely tell us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

The listeners demand checkers mission, the checkers mission is needed by all