Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Got into this game about a week ago. Got a nice spread of characters on my early rolls with all versions of Gerard, Hector, Katrina and Rouge, and they (alongside Sophia) have been carrying me most of the way. Gerard has been a pretty amazing Counter Tank when putting him front and center for stat bonuses, and Hector and Katrina are practically self-sustaining. Rogue and Sophia need no explanation.

Though I will admit that I had no idea that Parry was a thing. Now I need to see if the Albert I've got has it, else start leveling up Bear.

I also invested some time in ranking up versions of Sif, Valdor, and Flurry for some physical Fire, Thunder and Ice attacks that have come in really handy for more than a few bosses. Looking to invest in Leonid now that I got his S version too.

I really do like the fact that Ranking isn't the end-all and be-all for characters and stats, vs team synergy and paying attention to weaknesses and resistances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
A healer is definitely a necessity for prolonged battles, especially once you get into the tougher bosses and stuff like the Colosseum. Even if they're not the best healer, any heal skill can bring back a character from death, and a 1 HP character can still use their attack skills, after all.

S Undine is absolutely a great support and A Blue is also really useful with his AoE focused build.

It really pays to stop and look at people's skill sets and abilities, even if they aren't the SS version of the character you're using. Even if you stick with the higher rank version, there might be a skill or two worth Inheriting from the other ranks. See Rouge: Shadow Chains and Undine: Water of Life for abilities that elevate their higher rank versions from good units to great ones.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
As Marcus mentioned, you want to probably keep an eye out for S/A Undine, A Rouge and A Bear.

A Undine for Water of Life which S Undine can Inherit
A Rouge for Shadow Chains which SS Rouge can Inherit
A Bear for Parry

From the ones you mentioned one of the SS Gerards (the one with the green cape) is a solid Counter Tank, and I've been using him pretty consistently. Can't speak for Ellen, Ginny or the rest though.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Renzyal posted:

The next big thing is a mostly female team for the seven heroes event which has a boss that charms males.

Speaking of which, is there a list of what are the upcoming events and what characters might be made available? It's always nice to know when/what to save up for.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
According to Reddit we're getting Episode 6 and a Wolf Ingot currency drop for Ch. 1-6 coming up.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Visual Basic Bitch posted:

Blue and Rouge should be different styles of the same character IMO

Unlike, say, Red and Alkaiser, or Black and Herman, they were both individuals with distinct personalities, entirely opposite spell sets, and capable of standing next to one another. Not to mention that -- spoilers for Saga Frontier -- the developers have gone on record that the Blue vs Rouge duel is the real final boss fight, and the Blouge megamage is a reward that you only play in the ensuing epilogue.

So it makes sense to me that they'd be two different sets of styles.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Having SS Sophia and Xmas Flurry in one team has been pretty neat. If either dies, the whole party gets healed, and the other one can just prop them back up. And unlike other healers, they can actually take a hit and dish it out. I just wish I had a Water Elem Hammer for Flurry like I have a Light one for Sophia. I guess one will turn up eventually in later updates.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I could be mistaken, but my understanding is that is simply buffs spells and abilities of that particular element? Everything I've read seems to lean towards equipping weapons with same elements as character affinity.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I've been having the worst luck on 29. They always gaze my healers, and either kill them outright or charm them into healing the enemy. The health it gives the enemy is less of a concern than 3 or 4 LPs wasted that I don't get to spend on my team.

I still have some time before it flips. Gonna keep at it.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I actually tried that and didnt fare that much better when my team basically kept murdering itself. :suicide:

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Mostly fallen into a routine of farming mats for evolving equipment for the time being. Hopefully maxing out my best gear will be the edge I need to clear out the Spiral Tower past the 29th. Or maybe dumb Lady Luck will finally do me a solid.

I'm so tempted to recreate my usual RS3 team in this game, which means holding onto crystals so I can roll for Ruhk and Boston later down the line; and who knows when that might be. I know they can't possibly be as broken in a gacha game as they are in their own game, but I have many fond memories of abusing their ridiculous LP and Claw Punching abilities respectively. But then again, what is the point of these games if not to make your favorite dream-team of characters?

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Arzaac posted:

If it helps, Boston gets released as a free unit, so you won't have to worry about hoarding gems for him at least.

Well that IS good news then!

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Tortolia posted:

Just note that he was released in JP like two weeks ago so we have a bit of a wait.

Oh, I'm aware of that! Even without knowing they were a freebie, I was less concerned about storing gems for Boston since they would still be far enough away.

That also gives me ample room to throw gems at every SaGa Frontier character I can, because I love that game to bits.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Actually that's how I got SS Rouge, now that I think about it. I never had to bother farming for him 'cuz he just popped up before I had the chance.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I unlocked the training dummies pretty early and have gotten most of my main SS guys close to and/or past 40 in a couple of weeks. I tend to rotate them out after that, as each SS style takes about 5 hours to produce just one piece -- while S and A styles take 2 and 1 hour a piece respectively.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
SS Rouge is already in the pool if that's what you're asking.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Spiral Tower expands well beyond 30th floor, and I'm guessing a lot of other things do as well.

We're in the early stages of the game still. There's more episodes and events to come.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Unless you're farming for a material you can't find anywhere else, Hard is best avoided.

S weapons drop frequently enough on VH that you'll have plenty of plain ones that you can feed into whatever STAT+ ones do drop.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I can't find it now, but I'm positive I read somewhere that we won't be seeing elemental weapons dropping until Chapter 7, and on VH at that.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Decided to roll on NY banner once just to see what I'd get and got both NY Katrina and S Red. NY Katrina might just be worth taking over my main SS Katrina's party slot. And S Red is nice to have if I ever get lucky enough to roll an Alkaiser.

I'm almost tempted to roll again for a shot at Polka -- since I'd still like to have someone with Parry other than Bear -- but I'm just gonna quit while I'm ahead. :v:

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

MarcusSA posted:

I mean if you are over 45k why not? We are getting another 4K gems over the next week anyway.

Yolo imo

I did and got NY Hector. No Parry for me today, but I do like Hector, and his lion head costume is pretty nifty. :sun:

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I've chosen to use some of the ridiculous gobs of stamina pots to catch up some of the Banner characters running 4-1-5, rather than try to squeeze 3-4 more stat points from the bunch that are already near or at 45/710.

RNG bs aside, I really do enjoy the combat in this game, and playing around with different varieties of team compositions is half the fun for me.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I started paying attention to party/enemy weaknesses/resistances a lot more right around/after Chapter 4. I still find stages where putting my beefiest tanks in front with healers in the back will power through, only to realize later I would have been better off -- and had more fun -- exploiting AoE spells and/or Jamming the heck out of them.

This is one of those games where debuffs and status ailments can make or break a fight. SS Barbara and SS Rogue alone have made otherwise nigh-unbeatable fights for me doable via keeping a lot of enemies shut-down.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
SS Katrina, SS Sophia, SS Barbara, SS Monica and SS Sif got me all the way up to Roc Boss VH.

I'd been using them all regularly as a matter of fact, so I didn't have to do any extra grinding for them.

Tried one roll for SS Roc and got SS Dantarg. I'll take the hint. :v:

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

How do attribute buffs and debuffs work? Can multiple instances of the same stack? Do they have a turn limit?skimmed the thread but didn’t find anything about it.

These are things I would also like to know.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Speaking of pieces, getting another drop of a character in a dungeon means getting 40 pieces for them as well. Which is a huge slog for SS Styles in Training. So if you have any intention of ever using said character, you really have nothing to lose by farming their spot. I've gotten SS Rouge to 46 just from stage drops while farming maps.

And yet, I still can't seem to get a single Fake Robin to drop for me. Finally I can have both Robins on my team, and the RNGods deny me. :argh:

Sherry Bahm fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 12, 2020

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Do you mean something like this list?

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Putting Roc in a party with Rouge almost feels like cheating. The good kind. I don't even have the SS Roc and they will shut down most enemies within a turn or two. I even went out of my way to grind new elemental staves for her to use.

Also finally got SS Fake Robin to drop while grinding for crystals. Now all I need is Alkaiser so I can make my SaGa superhero team a reality!

No Pink Tiger unfortunately.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

waah posted:

Gray or Katarina would work too, but the above party throws possible paralyze, charm, poison, and confusion.

NY Gray has an uncanny knack for Paralyzing things with Blunt Strike. Maybe it's just dumb RNG luck or something about his stats, but while grinding him he landed it enough that I seriously considered putting him in one of my main parties.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Arzaac posted:

Overall his Int and Cha aren't very good, so you're likely just getting lucky.

He is pretty fast though, so if he does paralyze it'll likely be before the enemy goes.

I took a look and apparently hes got 99 on Blunt Strike, while everything else is sitting at 1. What did I do while I was grinding him. :psyduck:

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Yeah, but you'd think the other skills would have at least gained a Rank or two in all that.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I'm double screwed cuz I want both White Rose and Asellus so they can be together and happy forever as intended!

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
White Rose deserves every Asellus she can get.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I'm wiped on gems but got both Asellus and White Rose.

No ragrets.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Evil Fluffy posted:

Until the SaGa Collection's event later this month (allegedly).

What's that?

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Sounds neat. Hopefully I'll have 300 gems to throw at one of their banners by then. I'm no fool, I know there's no end to these games.

But srsly, I've got a good spread with Katrinas, Rocs and Rouges, so I'm mostly focusing on favorites. Unless they decide to drop my dynamic duo of SS Ruhk or SS Boston in there, I probably wont be too salty.

I'm going to regret saying that, aren't I?

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I tanked a lot of content early on just by having Mariah, Xmas Flurry, and SS Sophia power through tougher battles with their utter refusal to let eachother die or stay dead.

Daily also netted me SS Albert... at long last I can Parry with someone other than Bear!

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I'm still pretty low on gems after Valentines, but I got Asellus and White Rose so all is well.

I dig Volcano and Undine, but eh, where's the romance?

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I've been pretty content with the units I've been rolling. Roc, Rouge and Rose have gotten me through a lot of tough spots, but the game loves to put a bunch of stun/paralyze immune enemies with HP in the tens of thousands in later stages, so I've had to do some experimenting with combinations and builds.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I'm also the kind of person much less interested in the meta than I am interested in the characters that I like being useful and worth playing. Save for a few that only have a single A Style and nothing else, pretty much any character can be put into the party and be made use of, which I appreciate.

I'm not too hung up on whether the Asellus' I DO have are the best. They're good enough to have in a party with White Rose and Rouge, and that's good enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
We finally got an SS Rukh and turns out he's not considered very useful. Which is a shame considering what an utter tanking monster they could be in their own game.

Still got all his pieces and stuck him on a team. :v: