Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Let's talk about leftist books! These are books, aren't they? Broadly speaking (from wiki since, per Paul Lafargue, I have a right to be lazy) left-wing politics supports social equality and egalitarianism, often in opposition to social hierarchy.

Some works that IMO are great places to start if you're interested in learning more are listed below. Remember that there are no stupid questions, and if anyone has any recommendations to add to the OP, please post below or PM me.

Capitalism (general):
Karl Marx is the big dog here. Capital and The Communist Manifesto are his most well-known works, with the former being a dense magnum opus explaining the capitalist mode of production, and the latter being a much shorter work which calls for the workers of the world to unite, but I like to recommend Wage Labor and Capital as an easy to digest introduction to his work. He wrote it for factory workers to read in their off-time, and it can be considered a practical shorthand for capital, including an explanation of why you work harder and harder while you receive no additional compensation for your efforts.

Feminism:
bell hooks: Feminism Is For Everybody is a great starting point, as it breaks down what the feminist movement is and why a guy should also be working toward the destruction of sexism in our society.

General History:
Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States is a easy-to-read history of the US, starting with pre-Columbian America and ending in the late 80s/early 90s. It is often assigned for AP US History classes and will hopefully open the reader's eyes to the injustice in America. Plus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKqR2Tss8Es

Eric Hobsbawm's The Age of ____ is a 4-part series going from the French Revolution through the fall of the Soviet Union. He tackles arts, culture, wars and economic issues in this series.

Media:
Noam Chomsky's Manufacturing Consent explores how media groups "are effective and powerful ideological institutions that carry out a system-supportive propaganda function, by reliance on market forces, internalized assumptions, and self-censorship, and without overt coercion". Remember how every news source supported the Iraq War in 2002 and no one gave any space for anti-war opinions? When's the last time you heard a news story seriously discussing models other than capitalism as possible economic structures? Exactly. Edward S. Herman was also an author but we don't remember this part (joke).

While it's a podcast, I'd recommend Citations Needed as a great source for understanding the modern media.

Global affairs:
Naomi Klein's The Shock Doctrine runs the reader through what the global financial elite do to weaker countries and how they leverage disasters (natural or man made) to destroying working conditions and social safety nets in countries.

Some extra authors to look into in the meantime before I update this post:
Frantz Fanon
Angela Davis
Mike Davis
Louis Althusser
Theodor W. Adorno
Slavoj Žižek (he likes movies and has a voice comparable to angels singing)

I'd be interested in hearing which authors people enjoyed, which they hated, who they think is out of touch, who sucks, etc. This is not the place to discuss current elections or who you're voting/not voting/protest voting for (probably need to keep it focused on books in TBB).

Please also consider The End of Policing by Alex S. Vitale, which happens to be our book of the month!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Reserved.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Zinn is pretty good. Extremely transparent about his bias, which is the closest you will ever get to unbiased human history.

Generally easy read. A revealing and relevant lesson on the fragility of capital's concessions to humanity. Broken treaties, the rapid repeal of civil war civil liberties, labor's declining power, environmental protections being stripped away, the fruit of the people's victories tends to have a short shelf life.

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

God’s Bits of Wood by Ousmane Sembčne is an interesting novel about colonialism and worker action in Senegal.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

PTSDeedly Do posted:

God’s Bits of Wood by Ousmane Sembčne is an interesting novel about colonialism and worker action in Senegal.

Frequently bought together: Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. That's good company to be in--I'll check it out.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011

Grimey Drawer

George Orwell: forget the novels, read the essays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009

I always preferred Orwell’s biographical books.