Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

ulvir posted:

Bourdieu is a good read too, maybe not entirely leftist, but Distinction is pretty good (and well known for linking taste to class and cultural capital and such), it has its limits outside the very specific french societal context, but can still be a useful read even today

Hell yeah Bordieu owns. Along with Distinction, Outline of a Theory of Practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
But for my money the Raymond Williams and the Birmingham School are the best because they're not unaware of Lacan but they're not infected by him either.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

PeterWeller posted:

Gloria Anzaldua's Borderlands/La Frontera: The New Mestiza explores how racism and national boundaries affect the identities of their victims.

That book kicks astounding amounts of rear end. Life-changing for me.

It's funny, I wouldn't necessarily have considered it "leftist lit" just because the viewpoint is in some ways too original to fit in any box, though Anzaldua is obviously a leftist.

cda fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 28, 2020

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Joe Chill posted:

The Jungle by Upton Sinclair.

Great exposition of the Gilded Age but imo as a novel it falls apart about 3/4 of the way through which is too bad because up until then it is also gripping. Even though there second half is indispensable for showing the operations of machine politics etc. when I recommend it I tell people the first half is a must-read and then after that, read as much as you can get through before you get bored. Sinclair loses the human element as he casts his social criticism more broadly.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

gfarrell80 posted:

Under my belt, which I would 2nd the recommendation for:

Marx, The Communist Manifesto
Zinn, A People's History of the United States
Orwell, Road to Wigan Pier, Down and Out in Paris and London, Homage to Catalonia, On Nationalism
Upton Sinclair, The Jungle
Vincent Bevins, The Jarkarta Method: Washington's Anticommunist Crusade & the Mass Murder Program that Shaped Our World
W.E.B. Dubois, The Souls of Black Folk
Smedly Butler, War is a Racket
Mark Twain, To the Person Sitting in Darkness
Sheldon Whitehouse: Captured: The Corporate Infiltration of American Democracy

On deck:
Chomsky, Manufacturing Consent
Chris Hedges: any recommendations for one of his books above the others?
Jack London, The People of the Abyss, War of the Classes
David Dayen, Monopolized: Life in the Age of Corporate Power

Also, in the 'literary lefty' category, I second the recommendation for Steinbeck. And you have to read Melville's Moby Dick and Bartleby the Scrivener. Theodore Dreiser too is good.

Sausage party