Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Yuns posted:

As a rider, I'm not super enamored of EV motorcycles. The problem is that most motorcycles already have insane power to weight and the acceleration problems mostly have to do with keeping the front end down. An EVs torque benefit therefore isn't that great and the added weight of the battery and motors can make it less nimble and therefore overall slower in corners. So as I posted in cycle asylum, the more I think about it; the more I think that motorcycle EVs make the most sense from a cruiser/tourer perspective more than from a sportbike perspective. The heavy weight of cruisers/tourers wouldn't necessarily increase (and could decrease) with the right battery and motor choice and the extra torque would be great for moving along a big cruiser or Goldwing. Maybe cruisers wouldn't work given that even getting the cruiser guys to accept liquid cooling was challenging. But an EV Goldwing could be well received depending on range and refueling. I hope the Harley Davidson Livewire succeeds but at $29,799 it's a tough sell. it really needed to be cheaper than HD's top of range motorcycles.
I normally ride a ninja 650, which is a pretty decent little bike to out around town in. I did a test ride on an FR/S, and if I was going to keep riding I would have bought it on the spot. The difference in responsiveness is lovely for a dairy rider. The 650 is already pretty good at responding at low RPM, but the difference was huge. With the side benefit of being able to put feet down at lights without having to hold the clutch or deal with shifting into/out-of neutral. Was just super pleasant to test ride. I'd go for the sport fairing version because the riding position wasn't what I was used to, but overall A+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Uh, what the heck? I can cruise at 70 mph with cruise control on for 100+ miles and fast charge for 20 minutes and repeat. This Ego can do long trips, man.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

It'd be cool if they partnered with a similar volume car company and let someone more established teach them how to do it. Mitsubishi sold fewer cars in the US in 2019 than Tesla (121k vs 195k). It looks like from a quick google there are a similar number of US Mitsubishi dealers and US Tesla Service locations. Seems like a win win if every Mitsubishi dealer could do Tesla service. More service revenue for Mitsubishi, more service capacity for Tesla. Of course, it'd be even better if they just invested in QA to eliminate some of the need for service in the first place.

I just took a look at Mitsubishi's website and I had no idea the Outlander PHEV had DC fast charging. Seems pretty excessive for a car with only 22 miles of EV range.

Doesn’t Mitsubishi, Nissan and Renault have a pretty close collaboration already?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Uh, what the heck? I can cruise at 70 mph with cruise control on for 100+ miles and fast charge for 20 minutes and repeat. This Ego can do long trips, man.
I read Yuns's post as having enough range to convince Harley and Goldwing riders that it has enough range. 100 miles is enough range for 95% of people but 200 miles of range became a big selling point to reduce range anxiety. As the fast charge network builds in places other than California and the Northeast range anxiety will drop but 200 miles will still be the standard for a long time.

It's all mental.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I do cross country motorcycles trips with groups of people, and the challenges of an electric motorcycle are not what you think.

First and foremost, the touring demographic is in mid-50s and above range. This is not the age group that is going to fiddle with four different apps to find the nearest charging station. The boomers are still printing out map pages, while many others are opting to trust standalone GPS units such as Garmin. Not because they are better than your average cell phone, but because that is what they are used to rely on 15 years ago, when garmin was cutting edge technology. And the older people get, the less likely they are to change anything in their routine.

The whole water cooling Luddite outrage anecdote is not something that has any bearing on real world events. Just because people on internet voice strong opinions, does not mean people are not buying those motorcycles. Harley Davidson decided to add water cooling to an existing power plant, which was alarming to people who watch Harley Davidson fuckup much smaller upgrades. It was a stop gap, until they designed a whole new properly water-cooled engine, which is coming out this year by the way. Not that it's going to save the company, but power to them.

And yes, electric is the way to go for cross-country touring and here's why

1. Touring bikes ride at low RPMs in higher gear more than anything else, so high torque of an electric motor is an ideal setup for this type of riding. You need torque to move weight, and touring on the light motorcycle is actually more tiresome than on a heavy long land barge.

2. Range is very important to a touring bike, but motorcycles naturally make more stops than cars. Partly because rider needs to stretch, and partly because limited motorcycle gas tanks rarely let you go past 250 mi. Stopping every 150-200 miles and charging for 30 minutes, would be The exact same thing that we do already.

3. Motorcycle maintenance is more frequent than cars, but just as expensive. Minimizing wear and tear would definitely be a welcome thing and a boost to resale value.

In all reality, electric bikes will probably have to wait until the millennials age to a point where cross country touring is appealing. At 41 years old, I'm often the youngest person in the group. Bike touring is not on the rise across the board, it's often a thing exclusive to retired boomers. $30,000 motorcycles are selling at much lower rate than $8,000 bikes. So producing an electric tourer is a losing proposition from expected sales standpoint.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Completely unrelated to my above post, but I just discovered that Google maps does charger locations same way it does gas stations. Clock on your account icon, then Settings, then Electric vehicle Settings. Select your charger options. Profit

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 2, 2020

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Nitrox posted:

Completely unrelated to my above post, but I just discovered that Google maps does charger locations same way it does gas stations. Clock on your account icon, then Settings, then Electric vehicle Settings. Select your charger options. Profit

This is amazing :toot:
(fixed the image link in the quote)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nitrox posted:

Whoa cool!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I still think an EV Goldwing or BMW K1600 would be a good path forward for EV motorcycles and not trying to take on the supersports. They are already packed with tech and GPS systems. The extra torque of an EV would be great for such big bikes and the weight consequences of the battery would be far less than for an ultralight sportbike. I would still like to better understand the range/refueling implications and so you'd look at lower range EVs to compare. Needing fast charging every 322 miles max in my Tesla is different than needing it every 100 miles. 100 miles isn't too different than my existing gas motorcycle ranges but I can find a gas station anywhere in America whereas finding a fast charger everywhere is going to be more challenging depending on where you are.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
A group of motorcycles presents another problem: charging up 4 to 10 EV motorcycles at the same time. Again, expanding the charging network is important and I'm glad Ford and EVGo are doing so.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
There's a kid riding a Livewire to Sturgis now so I'm going to follow his journey via his youtube/social media and see how that goes. I hadn't thought about it but apparently you can also recharge at HD dealerships (though I'm not sure he's doing that) which is awesome. If motorcycle dealerships create charging stops for motorcycles that would go a long way to making motorcycle EVs more practical.

https://bluelane.io/9LyzrD

Yuns fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 2, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Yuns posted:

As a rider, I'm not super enamored of EV motorcycles. The problem is that most motorcycles already have insane power to weight and the acceleration problems mostly have to do with keeping the front end down. An EVs torque benefit therefore isn't that great and the added weight of the battery and motors can make it less nimble and therefore overall slower in corners.

I haven't ridden an electric bike yet, but I agree that the instant torque doesn't sound as exciting as it is for a car. My bike "only" has 123 hp and not much torque at lower RPMs, but as you said my biggest issue with acceleration is keeping the front end down.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

I haven't ridden an electric bike yet, but I agree that the instant torque doesn't sound as exciting as it is for a car. My bike "only" has 123 hp and not much torque at lower RPMs, but as you said my biggest issue with acceleration is keeping the front end down.

Any respectable electric motorcycle won't give you full torque at low speeds for more reasons than just looping the bike, and I don't notice it much until I'm going at least 50 mph on my Ego. Where the torque helps you most of all is having the acceleration whenever you need it, and it's nice not having to drop a gear or two to pass someone on the highway since the power's always there when you need it.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Just bought an E-Tron, some initial impressions:

1. The range estimate on the dash is accurate, from fully charged I got about 50 miles left after a 150 mile drive on the highway with AC on comfort and going between 85-90mph. That said, 200 mile range is going to be an issue if I do long drives with the spotty electrify america network. I don't expect I will though.
2. Interior is definitely one of the nicest for an EV, not quite as good as the i-pace but nicer than a tesla. If you ever sat in the new Q8 it's almost identical to that. Stuff like LED mood lighting and entry/exit lighting are gimmicky but looks cool.
3. Extremely quiet car, by far the most quiet vehicle I've ever sat in including stuff like the S-class. Audi did an amazing job with sound insulation.
4. Ride comfort isn't as soft as some of the other SUVs with air suspension I've been in, feels like it's more tuned for performance than comfort.
5. Audi's adaptive cruise control system works pretty well keeping you in lane on the highway and that's about it. I haven't gotten a chance to test it to stop and go traffic yet but so far seems alright. Not as advanced as autopilot but it seems more steady in lane. Safety systems(lane keeping assist, emergency braking, etc) aren't up to par with the Volvo I have.
6. Audi MMI took some getting used to, I don't like how it requires a fairly forceful push to activate the on screen buttons. Initially I thought the screen wasn't working but then realized I wasn't pressing hard enough. I would have preferred a non-touchscreen climate control system but they were able to cram other functions onto the screen. What would've really been nice is if you could use the MMI on one screen and android auto on a different screen. But like on most cars you can't - AA takes over the main screen. The default navigation is probably one of the best on the market, but why would I ever use it when I can use waze instead?
7. Acceleration is decent and it has the typical instant EV torque response. Not nearly as quick as the performance oriented teslas or the i-pace however.
8. In terms of exterior styling I understand why most people didn't buy this car. It just doesn't stand out from the thousands of other audi SUVs on the road. I think it looks good but it's not attention grabbing like a tesla or even an i-pace where everyone around you recognizes it's an EV at a glance.

Overall it just feels like a normal Audi suv which I suppose was the point.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 3, 2020

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Gamesguy posted:

e point.

I mean it's no Tesla but sweet car man! I hope you're happy with it. More pictures please.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Personally I like the idea of it not having to stand out that much. But to each their own.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Every time I see E-Tron I think of the Avengers movies. Wonder when we'll ever see the models Audi put in those movies on the streets.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Gamesguy posted:

8. In terms of exterior styling I understand why most people didn't buy this car. It just doesn't stand out from the thousands of other audi SUVs on the road. I think it looks good but it's not attention grabbing like a tesla or even an i-pace where everyone around you recognizes it's an EV at a glance.
Yeah, I'm not sure I like the huge fake grill in the front of it, its an EV so they should take advantage of not needing one that big. Otherwise it looks great and the interior looks really good too, plus it probably is nice to not have to explain to everyone how to open the doors.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

In Southern California the only time Teslas stand out are when I see a Model X and I'm reminded just how ugly those things are

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

MomJeans420 posted:

In Southern California the only time Teslas stand out are when I see a Model X and I'm reminded just how ugly those things are

Oh they're frightful, the "sleek, grill-less" design language does not translate to that barge. Model Y looks pretty decent all things considered.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Gamesguy posted:

6. Audi MMI took some getting used to, I don't like how it requires a fairly forceful push to activate the on screen buttons. Initially I thought the screen wasn't working but then realized I wasn't pressing hard enough. I would have preferred a non-touchscreen climate control system but they were able to cram other functions onto the screen. What would've really been nice is if you could use the MMI on one screen and android auto on a different screen. But like on most cars you can't - AA takes over the main screen. The default navigation is probably one of the best on the market, but why would I ever use it when I can use waze instead?

I believe there is a way to disable this in the menu system somewhere. Good luck finding it.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Gamesguy posted:

1. The range estimate on the dash is accurate, from fully charged I got about 50 miles left after a 150 mile drive on the highway with AC on comfort and going between 85-90mph. That said, 200 mile range is going to be an issue if I do long drives with the spotty electrify america network. I don't expect I will though.
2. Interior is definitely one of the nicest for an EV, not quite as good as the i-pace but nicer than a tesla. If you ever sat in the new Q8 it's almost identical to that. Stuff like LED mood lighting and entry/exit lighting are gimmicky but looks cool.
3. Extremely quiet car, by far the most quiet vehicle I've ever sat in including stuff like the S-class. Audi did an amazing job with sound insulation.
4. Ride comfort isn't as soft as some of the other SUVs with air suspension I've been in, feels like it's more tuned for performance than comfort.
5. Audi's adaptive cruise control system works pretty well keeping you in lane on the highway and that's about it. I haven't gotten a chance to test it to stop and go traffic yet but so far seems alright. Not as advanced as autopilot but it seems more steady in lane. Safety systems(lane keeping assist, emergency braking, etc) aren't up to par with the Volvo I have.
7. Acceleration is decent and it has the typical instant EV torque response. Not nearly as quick as the performance oriented teslas or the i-pace however.

Overall it just feels like a normal Audi suv which I suppose was the point.

I've only seen one E-tron, and it was charging on the street in Frankfurt, and I've never seen the interior. The outside looks good, and the interior looks great. I think ev's like these will push widespread adoption

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
Do you have the 20", 21" or 22" wheels ?

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Elviscat posted:

Oh they're frightful, the "sleek, grill-less" design language does not translate to that barge. Model Y looks pretty decent all things considered.

Model X is a hideous beast of a vehicle, especially from behind. Vaporware roadster > Model S >>> Model 3 > Model Y >>> Semi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Model X.

And it's not the front that is the issue or the lack of grill. It is the huge turd of a backside.

edit: no offense to any Model X owners in here, they are still cool cars overall if you have the money for the door maintenance, just far and away my least favorite Tesla from a design standpoint.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I like the looks of that e-tron but I really wish Audi made an EV sportback. An EV version of the S5 Sportback could be awesome.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yuns posted:

I like the looks of that e-tron but I really wish Audi made an EV sportback. An EV version of the S5 Sportback could be awesome.

https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-e-tron-sportback

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Wait how have I never even heard about the e-tron sportback. I'd been seriously shopping the S5 Sportback for a while and literally had no idea there was a Sportback version of the e-tron. I even test drove the A5/S5 Sportback with no one mentioning to me the e-tron variant at any time.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 3, 2020

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yuns posted:

Wait how have I never even heard about the e-tron sportback. I'd been seriously shopping the S5 Sportback for a while and literally had no idea there was a Sportback version of the e-tron. I even test drove the A5/S5 Sportback with no one mentioning to me the e-tron variant at any time.

:laffo:

Gee, I wonder why.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Bum the Sad posted:

I mean it's no Tesla but sweet car man! I hope you're happy with it. More pictures please.

Pretty happy so far. :) I will need to install a level 2 outlet tho because the speed on level 1 is loltastic, it only charges at 0.8kw which is like 5 amps or something.

Some rear end shots and night time photos.

Yuns posted:

It's not out yet. It was supposed to start production right now but with covid it's probably been pushed back to 2021.

Russian Bear posted:

I believe there is a way to disable this in the menu system somewhere. Good luck finding it.

Took me a while to figure it out. Apparently the haptic feedback option which is on by default makes it so you have press really hard, makes zero sense.

MomJeans420 posted:

I meant it in the sense that Teslas and i-Pace and even the Bolt are very recognizably EVs. This just looks like another Audi SUV.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 3, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Wow, it's like being in a star trek shuttle. :awesomelon:

Tesla's interior looks real sparse in comparison.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Yuns posted:

The E-Tron sport back is still a crossover though. So not really an S5 EV.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I've realized that an average person looking for an electric vehicle will have a hard time figuring out which ones are actually exist for sale, other than Tesla. There is no category to search by on autotrader/Craigslist/Facebook other than hoping that someone actually used "ev" or "electric" as the keywords. I really hate that

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Gamesguy posted:

It's not out yet. It was supposed to start production right now but with covid it's probably been pushed back to 2021.

The e-tron sportbacks actually just started showing up at dealers in the US about a week ago - my local dealer has a pair of them - basically any e-tron you see listed as a 2020 is probably a sportback.

I've been window shopping for a while and thinking a lot about the e-tron so these posts are super interesting.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Nitrox posted:

I've realized that an average person looking for an electric vehicle will have a hard time figuring out which ones are actually exist for sale, other than Tesla. There is no category to search by on autotrader/Craigslist/Facebook other than hoping that someone actually used "ev" or "electric" as the keywords. I really hate that

On autotrader you can filter for fuel type and it gives you electric and various hybrid options

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Had my first dead 12v in the model 3, got to experience the comedy of having to "jump" an EV. Took me a moment to realize what was going on when it wouldn't unlock.

Able to get a same-day mobile appointment for a swap, the benefits of living in a market big enough for a service center but small enough that it's not saturated.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Qwijib0 posted:

Had my first dead 12v in the model 3, got to experience the comedy of having to "jump" an EV. Took me a moment to realize what was going on when it wouldn't unlock.

Able to get a same-day mobile appointment for a swap, the benefits of living in a market big enough for a service center but small enough that it's not saturated.

No warnings from the car? I asked a tech about it and he said the car “should” warn you.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Depending on the failure mode of the 12v battery, it may not have been detectable.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

stevewm posted:

Depending on the failure mode of the 12v battery, it may not have been detectable.

lifepo4 with the on-battery BMS hooked up to the computer in the car would solve this... but that's more expensive.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bum the Sad posted:

No warnings from the car? I asked a tech about it and he said the car “should” warn you.

Warning about the 12v needing replacement helpfully popped up after it was back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
also I realized afterward that there's no way to carry your own jumper cables because you can't open anywhere they'd be stored when the car is dead. Yes, you could keep them in the frunk and stash a 9v somewhere. Yes that's absurd.