Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

movax posted:

It isn't the greatest for what I would call "medium" industrial applications as it makes no provision for 3 phase AC charging, which is insanely common outside of North America. We are uniquely stupid / genius in our split-phase approach here, but it does some with some limitations. That said, every single service (to my knowledge) in North America will offer split-phase connectivity, from your home to even the smallest commercial electrical service. For an average passenger vehicle, the existing L2 AC charge rates will be just fine(TM).

In terms of OBC design, it also segregates the market now for OEMs as the L1/L2 pins are the same as the DC+/DC- pins. You cannot now have a design where AC pins run to an OBC and DC pins can go through contactors and (potentially) directly connect to the DC Link of the vehicle. I'd have to go find a teardown of the Tesla on-board charger to see what they do -- you need to isolate the AC input, which means rectify -> invert (at high-frequency) -> regulate to DC and do the same to the DC path which will be at much higher power. Or am I missing something on NACS chargers where they implement the IT / isolation on the charger?

1000 VDC is a reasonable upper limitation considering the vehicles its designed to service and matches up with CCS in that regard. MCS will go to 1250 VDC currently.

Hopefully TE (if they don't already) and others start producing more / get to SOP of these connectors/sockets quickly.

I always assumed the clicking noise I heard at superchargers was a big ol' relay in the car...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

borkencode posted:

Even if the US stuck with CCS1 for charging, it still wouldn’t be a global standard since CCS1 (US) and CCS2 (Europe) aren’t compatible. And China is doing their own thing as well.

The ChaoJi standard, yes. It's China and Japan, I think. It's being called CHAdeMO v3. Look at this plug:

That look familiar to anyone?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

atomicpile posted:

Where’s my nacs to ccs adapter? Having access to the Tesla charging network with my bmw would make this car far easier to road trip.

It's coming, but my money's on Tesla's chargers not charging just any ol' car. Part of the reason EA chargers are such a godawful mess is because CCS is (apparently) such a godawful mess, and they have to work with all the stupid vendor nuances in the protocol.

I figure part of this Tesla/Ford/GM deal is Tesla somehow certifying Ford and GM's CCS stacks to work with their chargers. So I'm not personally holding my breath on our 2019 Chevrolet Bolt ever being able to plug into a supercharger, even with an adapter.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Whenever I've used EA all I've had to do was plug it in and select the charger in the app. Do Tesla chargers shoot free snacks at you or something?

Your EA experience has been miles away from mine, brother.

First EA charge: okay, there's only one CHAdeMO, sure. But the credit card reader display is broken, but tap makes it beep. Screen is slow as poo poo, like, 7 seconds to respond to a button press. After five failed attempts to pay, I give up and install the EA app, which wants $20 earnest money before we can talk about charging. 20 minutes and $20 later, I convince it to start charging the LEAF.

Second EA charge: this is in a Chevrolet Bolt so it should be better, right? Nope. I had to go to three different stalls before the car and the station could decide it was okay to deliver current. I needed to get it up to 80%. This one bills by the minute and tops out at 20kW. Total cost was like $15.

In addition, there are a ton of homeless people milling around and hitting everyone up for money. Because of the homeless camp, nearby restaurants have all closed. So you can either walk into Walmart for a bag of processed food and hope your car looks the same when you come back, or stay out in the car and do your best to look occupied as people tap on your window. <- This was a tone-deaf elitist take that I apologized for later.

This is the only CCS charger in Albuquerque, the biggest city in the state, and the junction of I-25 and I-40.

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 30, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I should mention, when the Mustang pulled in, driver hopped out, plugged the cable in, then hopped back in, it was a very Black Mirror moment.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

E: Actually, maybe I don't need to try to explain why Albuquerque is scary to an Internet forum.

But I will point out that this is not a pleasant experience for more people than just me, and in the context of "EA's charging network is bad", I feel like it's still salient.

cruft fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 28, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Ford apparently spent a fair amount of time working with EA to make sure their first EV worked pretty seamlessly with their chargers and the result is that they do. I rarely have issues with EA (not the case with Volta, EVGo and some others) and plug and charge almost always just works.

Yeah. The stark contrast between that Mustang's experience and my LEAF's experience is what makes me think it's unlikely that current CCS cars will ever be able to negotiate a charge on Tesla superchargers.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

What's so difficult about driving your non-Tesla car up to the Supercharger?

Here's a Taycan with a socket on the right, so you can have the car to the right of the Supercharger, much like the Tesla pictured underneath.

I don't think the supercharger cable is long enough to reach that charge port, especially with such low ground clearance at the front. The Taycan would have to park at a 90° angle and take up like four spots in order to get plugged in.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

knox_harrington, can you please test this with your Taycan? Drive up to a Supercharger to be on the right and see if you can reach your port with the Supercharger cable. I think there is enough slack.

Try from the left as well, as I know Taycans have a charge port on both sides.

Actually, I would really like to see a photo of this too.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Left side charge ports are dumb. They make street charging way harder than they need to be. I will die on this hill.

It's an incredibly important consideration, though. Heck, my own neighborhood has houses with no driveway. Street charging is going to be difficult enough without having to drag the cable a car width across the asphalt.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

That sounds like I have a better ci/cd pipeline for my home lab then this multimillion dollar company.

This statement is probably true for a whole lot of multimillion dollar companies, though.

Not to let up on EA being crap, mind. It's just that there's a lot of really awful stuff in the world of ~=~ COMPUTER PROGRAMMING ~=~

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Speaking of EA (and Blink, I guess): https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/06/tesla-style-nacs-charging-plugs-are-coming-to-electrify-america-blink/

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

LOL. From the comments on that article:

Frodo Douchebaggins posted:

Awesome. EA will go from being unreliable with stupid connector to unreliable with a better connector.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Also sometimes would start charging but only at like 33kW so I'd switch to a different one and it'd start charging at the appropriate rate.

This has happened to me a few times on Tesla superchargers, too.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

The solution is not using Java at all

This goon gets it.

Three Olives posted:

Can you speak to how closely Tesla uses CCS? The fact that a new standard is being created around the connector makes me feel like there are likely going to be tons of compatibility issues.

I can speculate: until recently, Tesla doesn't use CCS at all. After maybe 2021 (maybe 2020?) they started shipping cars that can speak CCS, and initially in Korea and now in the US are selling adapters to CCS1 chargers that appear to work no better or worse than any other car does at the plethora of CCS1 charging stations.

CCS is both a protocol and a physical interface. The protocol, apparently, has dozens of implementations, each with their own aggravating quirks that are a real pain to deal with when you're ChargePoint or Blink or Electrify America: this is part of the reason CCS1 charging can feel so flaky. I don't expect Tesla to make any significant headway on this front.

... except for Ford and GM, who not only are going to be selling cars with NACS ports, but in addition have some sort of agreement with Tesla to charge at Superchargers. This agreement would almost certainly include Tesla certifying compatibility before Ford and GM start putting NACS cars on the road. I don't know the details of the CCS protocol, but I'm sure part of it is saying "Hi, I'm a 2024 Ford Mustang" or "Hi, I'm a 2024 Vinfast VF8", at which point the charger can make a decision about whether to continue the negotiation. Each charger will probably have in its firmware a whitelist of cars that it will keep talking to, and everybody else can pound sand, even if the physical connection can be made. Since my 2019 Bolt was not certified by Tesla, and since GM does not send me firmware updates, I doubt it will ever be able to charge at a Tesla supercharger.

However, the fact that three manufacturers are now certifying to some standard could provide a de facto reference implementation for a CCS charger, and that could mean everybody slowly standardizes on implementations that pretty much work the same way. This would result in an overall improvement in percieved reliability for chargers from every network, and the general understanding would probably become that older cars are just flaky about charging.

As the thread has no doubt discovered, I'm an optimist about stuff like this, so I tend to focus on the optimistic scenario. I've been wrong in the past, and I could be wrong again. But this is how I see things playing out.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

Maybe it will eventually just come down to Tesla themselves handling all the software for doing the charging handshakes and session control because everyone else are idiots who can't be trusted within 10 feet of a modem without loving something up royally.

I'm acquanted with a few excellent software engineers who work at Ford, for the record.

I think the unfortunate reality most of the time is that real-world applications are just messy and gross. Even the best programmer will eventually be beaten down by, for instance, 15 layers of kludges all trying to make an EA charger start a session. I guess I have a personal problem with EA.

Tesla has got themselves in an enviable position here. Their chargers are famously hassle-free and fail infrequently enough that people consider them reliable. Through sheer volume of charging stations, they were able to strike a deal with two other automakers, and can now act as a reference standard for starting a charging session. People who buy Ford and GM cars can be all smug about having a nice charging experience now, and Tesla gets to keep looking like they're the only competent game in town because they don't have to try to interoperate with every stupid broken CCS stack in the world. Meanwhile, ChargePoint and everybody else keep getting dragged through the mud because the experience is awful, and it's not even their fault!

I mean, maybe it's not EA's fault either.

But it probably is.

cruft fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 30, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I should qualify that I'm just a server-side software engineer, making some inferences based on my experience, and based on offhand comments I stumble across. There are other people who actually know what the hell they're talking about in this area. I'm just making educated guesses.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

pun pundit posted:

Tesla started shipping model 3s with CCS2 to Europe in 2019.

Our February 2019 Model 3 isn't CCS ready, so I guess 2019 was the year they added it!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Talorat posted:

I bought an Ioniq 5! Loving it so far. Per thread rules here is a picture:

I'll be lurking the thread looking for advice on stuff!

:nice:

I dig that solar array too, ya nerd.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I owe the thread an apology for that stupid, tone-deaf, elitist take on an entire swath of humanity a few pages back.

I'm sorry. I appreciate the people who pointed out to me how atrociously bad that was. I've been doing a lot of thinking since then. Thank you for reminding me about something I'd forgotten.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

BLUE CAR CREW REPRESENT

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

One thing all the chargers have an issue with is when there are placed in very sunny locations. The EA chargers in Palm Springs are unreadable for example. The app will work though.

There's this station between Santa Fe and Albuquerque that keeps changing ownership. It started out ChargePoint I think, then someone else, then it was Blink, now who knows.

The thing has the screen facing directly into the sun, in the desert. It's solid black, nobody can read it.

I stopped by there once and saw a couple in a 30kWh LEAF trying desperately to get Blink on the phone to acknowledge that they owned it so that their stupid app would initiate a charge with it and these people wouldn't be stuck in the middle of nowhere. But the app didn't even have that station on its map. We tried all kinds of stuff: ChargePoint's app, Blink's app, pleading with Blink on the phone, credit card swipes, chips, and tap, and eventually I got my Blink card to start a charge for them.

The ChargePoint stations in Santa Fe have started breaking but it seems like they're getting fixed, so my experience with ChargePoint is that they're probably the best option. But clearly that's not your experience. I wonder if the state of repair says more about the property owner than the charging network.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I'd be happy to even have wired AA :cry:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Wait, is this a thing people do outside of Judge Judy?

Yeah, it is.

It can make sense to for a couple keep finances separate until loans are paid off or whatever, so that one person's low credit score doesn't drag down the other person's higher credit score, just in case the two of you want to take out a car loan or a mortgage. I know at least two married couples who've done this. There are probably more: I don't tend to get into conversations about marital finance with my friends.

e: one of the couples lives in a community property state. I dunno, man. That's what they decided to do.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wait I need to comment on this dashcam too.

I abso-frickin-lutely get the impulse to have a nice clean-looking install. If you're not comfortable jamming poo poo under the headliner, this looks like a really nice option! e: I like how they post videos of exactly how to pop the fascia pieces off. That's terrifying when you're not sure how it's attached.

I have become very comfortable with jamming poo poo under the headliner, and yanking trim pieces off, in order to hide wires on aftermarket stuff like dashcams or RGB lighting strips.

Did I tell you all about the RGB lighting strips cruft jr and I installed in the Bolt? It looks badass. I'll try to remember to make a video tonight.

cruft fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 4, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Three Olives posted:

One of the first things that I did after getting married and changing my name was call our insurance agent who basically said "Thanks for letting us know about your new last name, but just FYI, as far as we are concerned, you have been married for 2 years already."

:owned:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

That sounds kinda sick, I might google around and see if my car could easily accept that kind of thing. How did the install on the Bolt go? Would love to see that video

These lights run at 12 volts, so we just cut the wall wart off and connected an accessory plug, then crammed some wires behind plastic covers and wove the lights around the car.

Here's a video cruft jr took:

https://youtu.be/7OYuMiCFN_o

[imgur is gone, sorry, I don't know where else to host it]

cruft fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 4, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Just FYI, that has your real name and picture and stuff all over it.

I know. I couldn't think of another way to share it without divulging my GPS coordinates.

E: oh, duh, YouTube

https://youtu.be/7OYuMiCFN_o

cruft fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 4, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

:nice: do you love it?

And don't listen to BWBD, everybody knows he's the real psychopath ITT. Always talking about serial killin' and trap speeds. What a weirdo.

cruft fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 4, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Basch lives! posted:

And I'm the type to not give a poo poo about the car I drive aside from regular service.

I have some good news for you about EVs in general.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

DoLittle posted:

According to a NHTSA petition to recall all Tesla vehicles, there is new information that the Tesla sudden unindented accelerations can happen without any user error. Previously the events have been dismissed as driver errors based on data logged by the car. When reproduced the faulty behavior of electronics results in logged data that shows accelerator pedal being floored despite it not being pressed at all.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/breaking-nhtsa-petition-shows-tesla-s-sudden-unintended-acceleration-is-real-and-curable-217525.html

https://www.autoevolution.com/pdf/n...able-217525.pdf

If this isn't pedal confusion, that'll be the first time in history, and it's a Big loving Deal.

It honestly reads a lot like this thing we learned about in college where every time a test jet flew south from Florida, it would flip over. It wound up the jet's navigation was measuring latitude in degrees north of the equator, and the negative value when it crossed propagated into the artificial horizon thinking the plane was upside-down, which it would then rectify.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

you’re gonna walk to that car every morning for x years and you’re either going to smile at the color that you wanted all along or you’re going to think about the day that you bought it and how you could’ve gotten a better color but at least you saved a grand

This is a better-worded version of the advice I was going to give. I don't have a recommendation on what choice you should make.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Good thing they uhh... killed off the Bolt.

I guess this story would make more sense if it were accompanied by a per-unit profit margin. I heard the Bolt was still negative.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I keep seeing articles from, like, a week ago, saying that VW is in talks with Tesla about charging. I dunno if this means NACS adoption, but presumably they wouldn't bother talking unless Superchargers were involved.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I wonder the extent to which people will (maybe just initially) assume the plug shape is what makes Tesla charging so reliable.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah. I've pulled videos off the TeslaCam the right way, stitched them together in a composite. It's a pain in the rear end. I don't fault anybody for not doing it.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ajaxify posted:

Thanks to the thread for the advice on color. As a reward and thank you, here's a pic of my new IONIQ 5:

Nice lookin' car, OP

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

movax posted:

It’s imperative to answer this question with pictures.

If I may throw in a suggestion:

Photographs of dogs
MS Paint of dog- in car and any other diagrams

Thanks in advance

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Oh, I missed the dog photo edit! Thanks for the quote repost, movax!

These are good dogs.

That corgi is ripped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

We've tried to be patient with my dad, who owns two cars and is holding out for a Tesla Model 3 made by GM for $25,000. But it's increasingly clear that he's never going to pull the trigger on a purchase, so now we're trying to sort out how much of a pain it's going to be for me to borrow his LEAF when I need to make short (25-60 miles) trips, versus us buying another frickin' car.

Maybe I can just take the bus.