Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

litany of gulps posted:

I’ve still got my money on Condi Rice for VP

I think Biden would like to do something batshit insane like this but I'm hoping the party just won't let him. We also haven't heard much about her being vetted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FlamingLiberal posted:

It wouldn’t shock me at this point to be honest

Always funny how these guys realizing how awful the Republican party is, never happens while they have any actual power to change anything.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Trying to court NeverTrumpers won't work since the moment Trump is out of office, they'll go back to their old ways again.

Nah they will just be mainstream democrats. And it won't matter because there are like 500 of them.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

That's good. The more of a permission structure you create for former republican voters to vote democratic, the better.

Kasich represents maybe 500 people, tops.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

Kasich delivers few votes on his own who will be directly swayed by his endorsement. What's more relevant is two things:

1) Giving people who regret their past republican votes (and in perticular, votes for trump) as easy a mental path to voting democratic. High-profile republican politicians endorsing Biden does that: it gives people examples to follow so they don't feel alone; so they feel like it's less of admitting they were uniquely stupid previously; and the like.

2) The old McConnell insight into the american electorate: the electorate tends to use the heuristic "partisan things bad, bipartisan things good." doesn't matter that it's a stupid heuristic, it's one that's used. so "supporting Trump partisan, supporting Biden bipartisan" helps Biden.

Yeah, I don't buy either of those things. Kasich already isn't in the mainstream of republican politics and said he didn't vote for Trump. Not one voter will care. And Republicans have scored all their recent major political victories with scorched earth partisanship.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

republicans also got walloped by a D+8.6% election in 2018 and are currently polling worse than that

What does that have to do with your point about bipartisanship though? 2018 was about the D base's hatred of Trump.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

it has to do with the american public's reaction to, as you put it, "scorched earth partisanship[.]"
specifically, that they don't like it.

now, once you are in office the choice between "get things done" and "indulge the american public's love for bipartisanship" can be a fact-dependent question about if a particular win is worth it

when you are in a campaign it's not

I don't think you can point to any politician that has been punished for partisanship. On either side.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Well the real nightmare situation is that Trump wins and they keep the senate.

VH4Ever posted:

I mean I'm holding back outright support for Kasich "helping out" in my posts here so my OP wasn't meant to endorse that. But it is a simple fact that, generally, where we want to "run up the score" this year is the Senate. If we don't flip that it doesn't matter if Biden is elected, or at least it means nothing good will come of it and only bad stuff will.

I'm not expecting anything good even with Biden and a D senate.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

sean10mm posted:

The distinction is between looking partisan and being partisan.

The public loves when people put on a show of not being partisan.

Actually trying to sincerely make deals with the GOP instead of loving them over as hard as possible is just dumb though.

"Bipartisanship" is fine as a catchphrase because the public likes to hear it, but that's all. Where Democrats get in trouble (or are willfull assholes depending on your interpretation) is treating bipartisanship as a real thing that's worth attempting.

Nah. That is just bullshit. People might even tell pollsters that they don't like partisanship but they don't vote in a way that is consistent with that. The only group of people who say they like to hear about bipartisanship, liberals, don't punish politicians for not being bipartisan. Politicians like Biden who fetishize it just don't have an understanding of the current political reality.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Meatball posted:

The debt ceiling comes up summer next year.

The nanosecond biden is inaugurated, suddenly everyone will remember that debt exists and we will need to save the economy. Expect handwringing about debt and implications that social security and Medicare need to be cut.

This will happen if Biden wins no matter who controls the Senate.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

I think it’s worth noting that he got 4.3 million votes from Republicans, who chose him over Cruz and Trump and Rubio, in 2016.

Those people are either already out of the party and voted for Clinton in the general or if they are still in the party, they are fully MAGA hogs who will vote for Trump no matter what Kasich says.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

people are looking to convert the republicans who look at those nutcases and go "gently caress this, im out", not the nutcases

nobody is imagining a world where every republican converts to the democratic party. people are looking to peel off as many as possible, but that generally means "single digits, and in an absolute, monumental, blowout, maybe two digits where the first is a 1 and the second is below 5."

The thing that people are saying is that John Kasich, in 2020 4 years after he already said he was not voting for Trump in 2016 and it didn't matter at all, isn't going to be the reason those Republicans who might be turned off would, now, switch their votes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The thing that is the most annoying about the Kasich thing is that I'm sure Biden thinks it's some huge get for him when it's not.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

140k+ dead is actually great.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

this is not true; it was true in 2016 when people saw substantial daylight between trump and other republicans

trump has spent the past 4 years making drat sure nobody sees a difference between him and other republicans. republicans who turned hard against trump have turned against his enablers, who tied themselves firmly to trump.

Joe Biden and Pelosi are trying HARD to separate Trump from the rest of the party. I guess we can hope that it doesn't work like the rest of the poo poo they do.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TyrantWD posted:

In 2016, we underestimated how much people despised Hillary. Even if they disliked Trump, asking them to pull the lever for Hillary, was quite a big leap.

In fairness. I didn't. I was saying that the entire 16 campaign.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

this is an interesting column with regard to the "project lincoln" folks:

https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/1285221368288731142

obviously, i don't expect anyone to take them at face value, but it's quite interesting that they are saying all of these things, even if you don't believe them: that even if they are lying about being willing to do it, they recognize it is necessary to renounce more of the republican party than just trump himself to be anti-trump

Sure they will, they have a welcome new home in the D party. It's the Bill Clinton/New Dem/DLC coming to fruition.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://mobile.twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/1285240287900635138

Taibbi might be higher on his own supply than even Greenwald is.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This shithead will not lift a finger to actually stop Trump from doing this. Don't give him any credit.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Brooks news is very upsetting. The guy really seemed like he had his heart in the right place and never lost it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

AOC has to take out Schumer. If she actually is able to do that, I would think that her running for president could happen.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Djarum posted:

A lot of the hate from the right comes from AOC is a smart, attractive woman. If she was a man doing the same thing they wouldn’t give her a second look.

It's the combination between them all having a crush on her and feeling very threatened by what she stands for.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I think trying to figure out what AOC's political career or public image will look like a decade from now is a fool's errand that just plays to whatever biases one already holds.

I also think dismissing the idea that a decade from now AOC will be less the grounded woman of the people after a decade+ in DC and more an embattled career politician with battle scars because "I don't like Hillary so its easier to believe bad stuff about her" is sort of proving the point. Does that mean she'll be Hillary? No. Point is its a long time away and propaganda like advertisement works best on people who think it doesn't work on them.

Hillary Clinton cashed in in big law and had already made millions of dollars in sketchy cattle futures deals before Bill was even the Governor of AK. It's not fair to compare AOC to her.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

mdemone posted:

You, a normie: gosh I wouldn't want to be anyone affiliated with Ghislaine Maxwell right now

Me, JaWohl: SHE PAYS ME ALL THE TIME AND WE ARE BEST FRIENDS

He just wants to be in the news.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry_Ed posted:

Isn't it basically an open secret that Gaetz has been having affairs with staffers?

Interns too, right? College kids.

ReidRansom posted:

Middle aged lady with regular hair style except funky color is very Karen energy, imo. Unless they're like a tattoo artist or do roller derby or something. Maybe it's just my personal experience.

IDK how she went from green peace protester to basically the most corporate of corporate dem. She's very weird.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The law is only for the browns and poors. There is no law for him and his fellow elites.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Martian posted:

https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/1285937660536782848

The trailer is all about Trump bad and relating to common Americans.

I can't believe I was duped by Obama.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Great great great. 2020 hellworld needs more of this.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

"I'll make you feel good about being white and I'll make the people you hate angry"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Bucky Fullminster posted:

There is a propaganda super-weapon being used to support a fascist government, and I don't think its power has been fully understood yet:

A deep look into what Q actually is, where it came from, and where it's going

I'm highly skeptical that Q is changing anyone's minds.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

massive spider posted:

I've been seeing people I know (though I wouldn't say like) on my social media posting a lot about child trafficking conspiracies recently. Even if they're people who would otherwise hate Trump.

I doubt they're deep enough down the rabbit hole to know where these memes are coming from and the whole Q tapestry but they are exposed to part of them, and the goal of this kind of propaganda isn't to enforce "Our guy is good" its to spread the idea "all sides are corrupt" which is a position which inherently helps the authoritarian side.

There are real child trafficking rings. I still don't think this is going to make people vote for Trump when they otherwise wouldn't.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

turnip kid posted:

The problem with Q is the posts are completely indecipherable to anyone who doesn't already have a screw loose.

Yes. It's much more about feelings than anything else. And if you aren't already a dyed in the wool chud, you aren't going to be moved.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Bucky Fullminster posted:

We're seeing a lot of spiritual hippies, who would normally have nothing to do with trump, moving from the naturalist, anti-vax space, through Plandemic, to Out of Shadows, now posting seriously about "save the children", and that whole journey has been guided by the people responsible for Q.

But I would say that "Q" should be better read as short hand for "The sophisticated social media strategy which not only helped trump win the presidency, but which has sold hundreds of thousands of people on this patently absurd story for the last 3 year".

Membership of Q groups saw a 120% rise in March this year: https://www.isdglobal.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/The-Genesis-of-a-Conspiracy-Theory.pdf

Whether or not they actually vote for trump, they are being told that the 'progressive elite' is engaged in child sex trafficking, so the pandemic and the BLM protests aren't the real problems. And that's enough to win an election.

And all that aside, it's just creating more chaos anyway.

Just read the article!

We have always had cranks who believe weird poo poo in this country. If it's not Q, it would be something else.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Everyone. Please enjoy Aaron Judge owning Trump's press secretary's lovely husband.

https://twitter.com/YESNetwork/status/1292194985308229633

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

China is awful at soft power projection because they're zany authoritarian goofballs, not because somebody with a pith helmet told you it's an essential characteristic of Chinese civilization.

What about providing the biggest infrastructure project in the developing world?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

He doesn't have to prostrate himself in front of Trump. He's still like in his 40s and from a chud state where he can't ever lose an election. And he 100% still will.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah, they think black people are going to turn out for her cause she's black and they are stupid but the VP rarely matters either way.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rabble posted:

I can’t wait to see how alienating their current base by running to the right works out for them.

It won’t. Biden will probably win 2020 but will be out on his rear end in 4 years when all the “moderate republicans” come back home to the GOP.

They don't view the left as their base, we are the enemy and they think they don't need us to win this election and they are probably right.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Thom12255 posted:

Do you think this of Biden or the mythological DNC hivemind? Biden and Bernie have a good working relationship and Bernie seems to trust him a lot. Or is Bernie not on the left anymore?

This is laughable. Bernie will clearly have no influence or power in a Biden administration. The fact that him and Biden get along personally really means nothing.

Murgos posted:

Harris, the VP nominee, consistently has voted further left of Bernie by the progressives own measurement (progressive punch) at 97% and 100% progressive by Fox News measurement. She almost literally could not be more progressive in the current political arena.

Claims that Biden or the Democrats aren't pushing left enough are absurdist bordering on disinformation.

This is like, insulting.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Delthalaz posted:

Night 2 is feeling like the B team so far

There is no A team.