Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Repost, didn't realize the last thread was on the verge of closing:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1283030745670463490?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Line Feed posted:

Just want to christen this new thread by saying gently caress America. This country is the worst and I hate it.

One day this demon cracker nation will burn to the ground, inshallah.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Do you think she's ever even eaten a Goya bean in her life?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Lacrosse posted:

Anderson Cooper does not give a single gently caress anymore

https://twitter.com/garrenbellew/status/1283198293896581120

He's a Vanderbilt heir, he's covered no matter what happens unless we start rolling out the guillotines.

i am harry posted:

Hell literally exists and this is it.

If I had known this was what the future promised I would've taken that extra deployment to Afghanistan back in 2010. If nothing else I would have more money to burn on passing distractions.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

cr0y posted:

USPOL Summer: BEANS?

BEADS?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

He's not saying it because he cares about Black people, he's using it to cover for their inaction - which will result in more dead Black and brown people anyway because of racialized disparities in exposure to the virus, medical treatment, and health outcomes.

One of those "you don't need to hand it to him" situations. Especially since that's the same guy who helped Pence cause an HIV crisis in his home state.

They cancelled the student immigration thing but somehow I don't think they're giving up the xenophobia cause quite yet.

https://twitter.com/hansilowang/status/1283415374843785223?s=19

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Trump making a strong case for Biden here.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

yea its been a pretty common claim in this thread, along with 'i dont understand why anyone would live in the suburbs, when you add in the cost of car ownership the city is cheaper!'

my favorite take in this vein of all time though is we should be taxing homeowners who have empty bedrooms they aren't renting out to punish people for living in houses with more bedrooms than they physically sleep in.

Suburbs in America are a completely useless fabrication designed to increase consumption, mandate car ownership, and facilitate racialized disparities in basically every facet of society.

No one is demanding that you live in a cube dorm in the nearest megacity but suburbs on the whole are extremely wasteful and unnecessary. There's probably a way for them to exist but the current model is untenable in the face of climate change if nothing else.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

Cool so what does "abolish the suburbs" mean in a practical sense? What is the actual plan for a human population to live completely inside city centers?

Move away from people living in overly large, energy inefficient homes that waste thousands of gallons of water on monoculture yards? Establish robust, free public transit that connects communities at each scale (local, city, state, national)? Dismantle the systems of racialized inequality in income, education, etc that prop up suburbs at the expense of impoverished and marginalized communities (not just urban ones, also rural and other suburbs)? Deal with the genocidal regime of police violence that are necessary for suburbs to be seen as pockets of safety, stability, and prosperity for the "right" people?

There's a whole grab bag of stuff that can be done, you're throwing a fit because you're projecting a bunch of assumptions onto the idea that no one else is even suggesting. It's about disrupting and undoing the systemic inequalities and oppression going back a century that made it possible for suburbs to exist. Are you really opposed to that?

Sorry that you overleveraged yourself for a 4/2 on a quarter acre somewhere and now you're afraid that someone is going to take it from you or cause your property value to tank but that suburban lifestyle was never going to last anyway.

luxury handset posted:

it's just people who grew up in suburbs making controversial but sincere political statements for giggles. there is no effective way to reform or banish them at all and suburbs will still be there long after all of us are gone to dust so let people kick over sand castles if they want

I grew up in inner city Wilmington until I was old enough to go to high school, try again.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 15, 2020

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

Cool so what was the plan again? (I don't live in a suburb by the way not that you have to to see that your idea is dumb)

Yes my idea that we should make life better and find more sustainable ways of living for everyone, including people who live in suburbs, is dumb.

Thanks for your contribution, appreciate it.

luxury handset posted:

in order to do this you'll have to, and i say this with no sense of hyperbole, ban personal ownership of automobiles

cars and car ownership are the reason we got away from pedestrian-focused development patterns in the first place

I don't see the problem here, assuming that the car ban happens once we have free robust public transit in most of the country, something that could be accomplished in like...a decade?

So 2030 car ban? I'm down.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

luxury handset posted:

at least fifty years to sort out all the land ownership and redevelopment issues

honestly with all the various massive government reforms necessary a solid plague would be simpler and easier, from the perspective of wealth equity and environmental rehabilitation

I live in Columbus Ohio, where we have enough excess above ground rail capacity to have a public transit system that could run without building anything new besides the actual trains, just finagling the current usage schedules and terms a bit. Obviously that's not the case for every city, but I can't imagine it taking 50 years. Maybe 20 if you have to do a lot of digging and fabrication from scratch, but honestly buses could do the job in most places. The bus system in Seoul handles more people in a larger area than most US urban transit systems.

twice burned ice posted:

Position on 'abolish the suburbs' aside, this is really lovely posting. You can disagree with someone without being a presumptive, condescending jackass.

Counterpoint: if people can claim that anyone posting "abolish the suburbs" is a hypocrite then I can make jokes about anyone who opposes the idea being a thin-skinned baby who is defensive about their material interests (or the ones they aspire to) being threatened.

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Thats not exactly a gotcha. Yes, abolish the suburbs is a dumb sentiment for dumb people. Yes it is impossible at this point anyway even if it weren't so staggeringly dumb.

Yes it's impossible to undo this one thing that didn't even exist a century ago. Just completely beyond human capability.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 15, 2020

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Faustian Bargain posted:

I'd rather they just cancel or delay the school year. This still has lovely implications like kids not utilizing what they've learned previously so they may have to relearn, but I doubt that distance learning is going to put them on equal footing anyway. This is going to have ripples for at least a decade no matter what.

My kid is too young to really feel the brunt of it but just being cooped up in the house with us and no other toddlers for four months really did a number on him. I can't imagine how badly older kids are going to be affected.

The sensible thing to do would be call this school year a wash, pay people to stay home, whip up some infrastructure to ensure kids are getting enough social time and not backsliding too much, and pick things up next year.

Of course we live in the hell world, so what we can expect is to keep dancing on the edge of collapse while the government does fuckall and millions of kids from kindergarten to university age get used as crash test dummies and many many people die needlessly.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Has to be an internal leak. Somebody dropped enough crumbs for the account master key to get sniffed out. And if they could hit all these people, they could definitely hit Trump.

So the question is, what is the big coup de grace here? They've got to know that their access is measured in hours, if not minutes at this point and then they're going to be the most wanted people on the planet. Can't imagine they're not going up maximize their window of opportunity.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

So how does this work with Walmart and other large retailers mandating masks?

I feel terrible for the people who work in those stores, there's no way someone isn't going to pick a fight over this.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Xombie posted:

Walmart is supposedly hiring people for the sole purpose of enforcement. So, mask security guards.

I worked at a Kroger stocking shelves before I went back to school and holy poo poo the amount of insanity and disrespect you deal with a normal day. I hope they bump up the pay during this mask thing or have plenty of extra security on hand, there's no way it doesn't get ugly.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Craig K posted:

gonna let you in on a little secret here:

old people use mail. old people are practically the only demographic that still uses mail. any threat to the usps delivering grandma and grandpa's social security checks will lead to the slowest moving angry mob full of pitchforks and torches descending on 1600 pennsylvania avenue within like 2 days of AARP announcing "IT'S TRUMPS FAULT"

so again

They've been dismantling the USPS since the mid aughts and old people haven't noticed or cared. Somehow AARP has just forgotten to rally their constituency to defend the postal service for a decade and a half, I guess.

That there have been few service disruptions is because postal workers have been killing themselves slowly to keep things running and ensure that the mail gets out on time. The olds will not notice until the mail just stops showing up and by then it will be too late.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Abrams has pretty clearly shown she's given up on state politics in georgia.

She'd be walking into a senate seat right now if she wanted to. Instead, we get to watch Ossoff lose another election while she fails to get the VP nod she bet her career on.

It's beyond strange to me that she was endorsing people in Senate races in other states when her only claim to fame is losing the governor's race.

There will always be a spot for her somewhere in the DNC because she's made voting rights her thing and "Black women are the Democratic base, blah blah blah" but it feels like she derailed her own career by buying into the fawning media attention without actually accomplishing or winning anything and then getting embarrassed by Joe Biden on live television.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1283817518977744896?s=19

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

PSA: Don't upload pictures you take at protests to social media and don't be a loving narc, thanks in advance.

https://twitter.com/MPHProject/status/1283797950821470211?s=19

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1283812531488935936?s=19

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

I see a lot of folks making GBS threads on Stacey Abrams and then talking about how unfair voting is in the US.

And that sure is something

It's possible for her to be a lovely politician (at least at this point in her career) and for voter disenfranchisement to be a serious issue that she has helped elevate in the discourse. It's not an either/or thing.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/SecPompeo/status/1283912748078956545

Imagine being so angry over a media project examining the history and legacy of slavery in America that you're still throwing tantrums over it a year later.

https://twitter.com/Limerick1914/status/1283934353211502593?s=19

https://twitter.com/Limerick1914/status/1283945016096940032?s=19

Liam Hogan is a pro follow and toss him a couple bucks if you can. I've followed the dude on Twitter since ~2013 or so and he's not only prolific but extremely meticulous in demolishing the usual racist historical revisionism bullshit, especially the Irish Slaves myth and various hagiographies of the Founders.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

How many teachers and/or students will die before we see a widespread education strike? Because it's coming.

Phenotype posted:

Maybe this is me being racially insensitive, but I am just absolutely baffled by Latinx Trump supporters, especially the ones who are losing their family over it. I mean sure, people can be morons regardless of race, but he is overtly and unapologetically bigoted toward them, and I would have thought putting Latinx kids in cages would have killed any chance of any of even the most conservative-leaning Latinx voting for him.

There are white Latinx people, non-white Latinx people who aspire to whiteness and think oppressing others will get them that acceptance, some who think they can change the system from the inside, and a bunch from all 3 groups who just buy into the nationalism bullshit and "I immigrated the right way, why can't they" nonsense. Plus significant overlap and a bit of economic influence as well - in some places the cops or ICE or DHS are basically the only stable jobs that don't require higher education outside of manual labor or food service and they pay well, with recruiting incentives if you tick the right boxes.

It's a complex thing but it's nothing new and also plays out in every other minority community.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/stschrader1/status/1284115704824856578?s=19

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

SubG posted:

If this story doesn't blow up now, it'll blow up in November because it'll become the Republican plan for winning in 2020.

It's the top story on WaPo and I don't think it's going anywhere soon given the belligerence from DHS.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is this getting any positive play with old people or people who are politically disengaged? I'm kind of worried that a lot of white Americans have latent bootlicking tendencies that come out when they see protest or are asked to love police and the flag.

My boomer parents think it's common for people to be killed by protestors if they get too close, for example.

Dunno. The olds I know are mostly Black and brown people, so in aggregate they support protestors and see law enforcement as violent menaces - although they do buy into the idea that if you just protest peacefully and *~the right way~* that the cops won't rough you up.

I think public opinion is shifting just because of the blatant brutality and overt gestapo poo poo on display but I won't bet on it just yet.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

So I've been wanting to vent about/address the police black bagging protesters with a "so America is just fascist now" and because I've been meme poisoned i realize it's just layup for "always has been."

Anyone who thinks the police disappearing people or doing other gestapo poo poo on the regular is somehow an outlier should look up Homan Square.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Looks like official results are in from the NY primary.

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/1284144985651249154?s=19

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

VH4Ever posted:

Sure, Rhenquist, and he was Chief Justice. Just look at the video of him administering the oath of office in early 2005, dude's barely standing up. He died shortly after.

You might want to go check who ran the Senate in early 2009. We'll wait.

Dreaming of a world where RBG & Breyer both retired in 2009, and the Senate took 5 minutes to repeal the clusterfuck of a bill the requires USPS to prefund half a century of pensions for no good reason at all.

Just imagine.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Monaghan posted:

Most countries have retirement ages of around 75 for judges and it's loving embarrassing that liberals can do now is hope that this women whose had multiple surgeries the past few years and rather frequent bouts with cancer doesn't die because she was to arrogant to not retire back in 2013 despite frequent calls from law professors/scholars for her to do so.

https://twitter.com/richardjwolf/status/1284159269122846721?s=19

It's going to be a long six months.

Better light up the notorious RBG candles!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/AlecMacGillis/status/1284166099735646210?s=19

https://twitter.com/JessforDelaware/status/1284176048507293697?s=19

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The Bananana posted:

Is this real? It can't be. Its just mind boggling.

Same sort of stuff is going on in Miami and other cities on that list.

https://twitter.com/pdxpartisan/status/1283959248947277830?s=19

So no, I don't think it's a joke. Law enforcement is going to push it as far as they can because the protests have shown them that an increasing people are not sufficiently afraid or willing to look the other way anymore.

I don't know about the rest of the stuff in that thread but it's probably a good idea to set up some mutual aid networks with your neighbors and close friends, and think about what your options are if your city goes into informal police lockdown.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Zapf Dingbat posted:

guys this black bag poo poo is scaring my white rear end for real.

https://twitter.com/mikeapedia101/status/1284125736811585536?s=19

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

ewiley posted:

Everyone connected with CBP, ICE, and the US Marshalls should be utterly shamed and blackballed forever put on trial for crimes against humanity.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

bobua posted:

drat I just got into npr in the last few years when I found the XM station instead of my local one that seemed to always be jazz???

Love me some npr and have always thought of them(depending on the program) to be more journalistic, but was never surprised when all my conservative friends and family thought it was all liberal bs.

If you think npr is trash, what do you recommend?

Maybe like... Democracy Now or Black Agenda Report? I feel like there were some good npr alternative suggestions in the previous uspol thread but I'm phone posting and can't wade through that right now.

NPR isn't terrible if you have no other choice but they have gotten explicitly more centrist, "gotta hear both sides" since their funding got hosed up and they do poo poo like let Barr say that mail in ballots are a security risk for elections with no pushback.

You'll see.

Ghetto Prince posted:

Well, this finally convinced me to buy a gun.

Looking back , gun control was obviously a shortsighted and naive idea , and because of the skyrocketing rate of inequality, the destruction of social services and the expansion of paramilitary groups in the US it will probably remain impractical for at least the next few decades.

It's a sound investment but make sure you link up with SRA or another shooting group that can show you the ropes and provide connections to a local support network.

Also talk to your neighbors (not about guns but just in general) and get a sense of the temperature in your area. Goes a long way.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 18, 2020

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The Bananana posted:

Blows me away that a lot of the pepper types, scared of the government taking their rights or there guns, don't seem to care that people are being black bagged.

It's the sort of people being bagged that they don't care about.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

tw: violence, blood on the second tweet

Same kids.

https://twitter.com/jonahshai/status/1283766995582951424?s=19

https://twitter.com/GKMC18/status/1284312594052939777?s=19

Help out with bail support if you can.

https://twitter.com/SolidarityErvin/status/1284332620357214214?s=19

Sorry to hear about John Lewis. Unfortunately doesn't seem like a very whole lot has changed when cops and vigilantes can still beat up Black children with impunity for the crime of exercising their rights.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 18, 2020

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

pacerhimself posted:

I mean yeah the president is illegally kidnapping protestors and dem house leadership has said this is unacceptable but have you considered that both sides are the same?

Which side whipped votes to approve record levels of funding for the gestapo agencies under Trump in exchange for a pinky promise that Pence would let them know if a child prisoner died in US custody?

Please, remind me.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

selec posted:

If you can’t accept that we got into this situation due to bipartisan consensus on policing and the security state, then it is indeed you who are the baby, and must shut the gently caress up.

:emptyquote:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

post better and/or stop slapfighting

just because the fash are blackbagging protesters and gearing up to occupy multiple American cities is no reason to take it out on your fellow goons and make the thread bad

Not trying to be snarky here but it seems like the only people doing slapfight poo poo are the ones upset at being asked to not perpetuate historical revisionism about how both parties explicitly enable fascist violence, no matter how much they wring their hands or perform wokeness in public.

Just one man's opinion anyway!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

Raising awareness is a good first step, action follows words and intent. But it is the case there's not a lot that can be done other than voting him out.

A week of coast to coast protests got more done as far as getting local and state governments to start curbing police power than any elected official. The cops are acting out now because they see their power threatened.

There's a whole hell of a lot that could be done between now and November, and the easiest option is getting a critical mass of people back out in the streets.

Saying that voting is our only or even best option is liberal defeatism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Mat Cauthon posted:

tw: violence, blood on the second tweet

Same kids.

https://twitter.com/jonahshai/status/1283766995582951424?s=19

https://twitter.com/GKMC18/status/1284312594052939777?s=19

Help out with bail support if you can.

https://twitter.com/SolidarityErvin/status/1284332620357214214?s=19

Sorry to hear about John Lewis. Unfortunately doesn't seem like a very whole lot has changed when cops and vigilantes can still beat up Black children with impunity for the crime of exercising their rights.

https://twitter.com/GKMC18/status/1284514800832253953?s=19

Donation fund for some of the kids who got their teeth knocked out (literally) by the cops in Chicago last night.