Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

yea its been a pretty common claim in this thread, along with 'i dont understand why anyone would live in the suburbs, when you add in the cost of car ownership the city is cheaper!'

my favorite take in this vein of all time though is we should be taxing homeowners who have empty bedrooms they aren't renting out to punish people for living in houses with more bedrooms than they physically sleep in.

Suburbs in America are a completely useless fabrication designed to increase consumption, mandate car ownership, and facilitate racialized disparities in basically every facet of society.

No one is demanding that you live in a cube dorm in the nearest megacity but suburbs on the whole are extremely wasteful and unnecessary. There's probably a way for them to exist but the current model is untenable in the face of climate change if nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Lemming posted:

That's not what that guy said though he just mentioned some of the massive problems with suburbs which exist regardless of how many hot takes you've read

the culture war between computer touchers happy to have gotten on the property ladder in a neighborhood like their parents' and computer touchers happy to live in apartments is exquisitely dull and pointless

the suburbs were a tremendous mistake from a tremendous number of different angles, and their unsustainability constitutes a very real problem, which anyone trying to address impending climate disasters is going to have to address. the question is how much of that addressing will look like the mayor of Miami dumping ever-more tons of sand into the ocean to try to keep the beaches a thing that exists, and how much of that addressing will look like the light rail extensions suburbanites fight tooth and claw against happening.

Hairy Marionette
Apr 22, 2005

I am not immune to propaganda
Getting upset with each other for understanding or failing to understand Teumps inane ramblings is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever read in this thread. I’m glad we’re back to suburbs chat.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

His only goal was to stop Bernie, and once that was achieved he peaced out

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/NoahHurowitz/status/1283439036493963265?s=20

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the culture war between computer touchers happy to have gotten on the property ladder in a neighborhood like their parents' and computer touchers happy to live in apartments is exquisitely dull and pointless

the suburbs were a tremendous mistake from a tremendous number of different angles, and their unsustainability constitutes a very real problem, which anyone trying to address impending climate disasters is going to have to address. the question is how much of that addressing will look like the mayor of Miami dumping ever-more tons of sand into the ocean to try to keep the beaches a thing that exists, and how much of that addressing will look like the light rail extensions suburbanites fight tooth and claw against happening.

Look man you can't criticize suburbs without proving Trump right so now we have to love suburbs more than Republicans, I don't make the rules

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

No surprises here.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

The police are a domestic insurgency

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

lol i COMPLETELY forgot about bloomberg, that was an entire lifetime ago

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

He achieved his goal to stem Bernmentum.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

FlamingLiberal posted:

His only goal was to stop Bernie, and once that was achieved he peaced out

Well, he had very little to do with it.

If anything he helped Bernie. If he had a stronger showing in the race, Bernie might have been able to win on Super Tuesday. *shrug*

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lemming posted:

Look man you can't criticize suburbs without proving Trump right so now we have to love suburbs more than Republicans, I don't make the rules

It's pretty clear that he means Biden will force black people to buy houses in white suburbs at gunpoint and is stoking the fears of geriatric white people who remember the 60s.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You know, I kind of wish Steyer had kept in it so we could have had him as the capitalist compromise instead of Biden.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/6abc/status/1283412818696470532?s=20
https://twitter.com/6abc/status/1283416904460361729?s=20

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Mat Cauthon posted:

Suburbs in America are a completely useless fabrication designed to increase consumption, mandate car ownership, and facilitate racialized disparities in basically every facet of society.

No one is demanding that you live in a cube dorm in the nearest megacity but suburbs on the whole are extremely wasteful and unnecessary. There's probably a way for them to exist but the current model is untenable in the face of climate change if nothing else.

Cool so what does "abolish the suburbs" mean in a practical sense? What is the actual plan for a human population to live completely inside city centers?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Trump, in 2 hours: "Actually if you require kids to wash their hands at all I'm sending in the national guard"

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Don't megacorps like MS basically just straight up donate to everybody in order to curry favor with high ranking officials?

5k is probably what MicroSoft makes every second, so it's really not a bad trade...

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Don't megacorps like MS basically just straight up donate to everybody in order to curry favor with high ranking officials?

5k is probably what MicroSoft makes every second, so it's really not a bad trade...

Yes? It's a good trade for both the corrupt politician and the corporation, I guess everyone wins.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

yea it's fine to give the nazi money, actually

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Manager Hoyden posted:

"No one should be allowed to live outside desireable city centers" is just about the the stupidest, most privileged hot take I have ever heard, and that is after reading Trump's word salad above. It's hard to legit disagree with it because it would be like arguing in good faith with a toddler who claims the sky is made of boogers.

it's just people who grew up in suburbs making controversial but sincere political statements for giggles. there is no effective way to reform or banish them at all and suburbs will still be there long after all of us are gone to dust so let people kick over sand castles if they want

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
And in other evidence of the system working:

https://twitter.com/GeoffRBennett/status/1283446143075127296

NY DA has already agreed to delay enforcing the subpoena until July 27.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
I'm no political genius BUT

At the exact moment a pandemic is ravaging America, the economy is collapsing, millions are about to be homeless, and millions are marching in the streets against police wantonly murdering innocent people, perhaps the best tack to take if you are the incumbent just maybe might not be, "My opponent won't keep you safe!"

It's like if loving Martians invaded and your campaign slogan was "Biden will make Mars attack us!" NO poo poo?!?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

Cool so what does "abolish the suburbs" mean in a practical sense? What is the actual plan for a human population to live completely inside city centers?

Move away from people living in overly large, energy inefficient homes that waste thousands of gallons of water on monoculture yards? Establish robust, free public transit that connects communities at each scale (local, city, state, national)? Dismantle the systems of racialized inequality in income, education, etc that prop up suburbs at the expense of impoverished and marginalized communities (not just urban ones, also rural and other suburbs)? Deal with the genocidal regime of police violence that are necessary for suburbs to be seen as pockets of safety, stability, and prosperity for the "right" people?

There's a whole grab bag of stuff that can be done, you're throwing a fit because you're projecting a bunch of assumptions onto the idea that no one else is even suggesting. It's about disrupting and undoing the systemic inequalities and oppression going back a century that made it possible for suburbs to exist. Are you really opposed to that?

Sorry that you overleveraged yourself for a 4/2 on a quarter acre somewhere and now you're afraid that someone is going to take it from you or cause your property value to tank but that suburban lifestyle was never going to last anyway.

luxury handset posted:

it's just people who grew up in suburbs making controversial but sincere political statements for giggles. there is no effective way to reform or banish them at all and suburbs will still be there long after all of us are gone to dust so let people kick over sand castles if they want

I grew up in inner city Wilmington until I was old enough to go to high school, try again.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 15, 2020

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Oh, you think "abolish the suburbs" means making people stop living in the geographic area that suburbs exist. It doesn't. It means changing development patterns from what we have done for the last 75 years or so back to development patterns that have worked well for people for several centuries. I don't know what Trump thinks it means when he says it, but it wouldn't surprise me if he thinks it means turning suburbs into a racists idea of an inner city "ghetto".

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Mat Cauthon posted:

Move away from people living in overly large, energy inefficient homes that waste thousands of gallons of water on monoculture yards? Establish robust, free public transit that connects communities at each scale (local, city, state, national)? Dismantle the systems of racialized inequality in income, education, etc that prop up suburbs at the expense of impoverished and marginalized communities (not just urban ones, also rural and other suburbs)? Deal with the genocidal regime of police violence that are necessary for suburbs to be seen as pockets of safety, stability, and prosperity for the "right" people?

There's a whole grab bag of stuff that can be done, you're throwing a fit because you're projecting a bunch of assumptions onto the idea that no one else is even suggesting.

Sorry that you overleveraged yourself for a 4/2 on a quarter acre somewhere and now you're afraid that someone is going to take it from you or cause your property value to tank but that suburban lifestyle was never going to last anyway.

Cool so what was the plan again? (I don't live in a suburb by the way not that you have to to see that your idea is dumb)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wilbur Swain posted:

Oh, you think "abolish the suburbs" means making people stop living in the geographic area that suburbs exist. It doesn't. It means changing development patterns from what we have done for the last 75 years or so back to development patterns that have worked well for people for several centuries. I don't know what Trump thinks it means when he says it, but it wouldn't surprise me if he thinks it means turning suburbs into a racists idea of an inner city "ghetto".

He's trying to trigger memories of Brown V Board in the dying minds of boomers who remember legal segregation.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Manager Hoyden posted:

Cool so what was the plan again? (I don't live in a suburb by the way not that you have to to see that your idea is dumb)

typically means abolishing things like HOAs, building government housing in those areas, doing away with charter schools and better funding/supporting the schools in those areas

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Wilbur Swain posted:

in order to do this you'll have to, and i say this with no sense of hyperbole, ban personal ownership of automobiles

cars and car ownership are the reason we got away from pedestrian-focused development patterns in the first place

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

luxury handset posted:

in order to do this you'll have to, and i say this with no sense of hyperbole, ban personal ownership of automobiles

cool

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

Yes my idea that we should make life better and find more sustainable ways of living for everyone, including people who live in suburbs, is dumb.

Thanks for your contribution, appreciate it.

luxury handset posted:

cars and car ownership are the reason we got away from pedestrian-focused development patterns in the first place

I don't see the problem here, assuming that the car ban happens once we have free robust public transit in most of the country, something that could be accomplished in like...a decade?

So 2030 car ban? I'm down.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

luxury handset posted:

Bad news about the future of manufacturing and the price of oil. Maybe if we can 3D print them we'll be ok. Otherwise,

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Fallom posted:

i read about the hive planets in warhammer 40k and nodded sagely at the efficient use of resources

hey where would you rather be when Ghazghkull Thraka's Waaagh lands for a third time, safely inside the walls of a hive or some exurb 2 hours' drive outside of Houston?

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

sexpig by night posted:

yea it's fine to give the nazi money, actually

Wasn't really condoning it in any way. Just pointing out how stupid and pathetically easy rigging the game must be.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

luxury handset posted:

Or own a working time machine to go back to before every city and town in the nation was developed around the assumption of owning a car.

Or a giant wrecking ball to completely level and rebuild said areas.

Either way seems like a good idea, otherwise dumb as poo poo.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Mat Cauthon posted:

Position on 'abolish the suburbs' aside, this is really lovely posting. You can disagree with someone without being a presumptive, condescending jackass.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's honestly a really simple concept.

Suburbs are weird lovely little bubbles for people to enjoy the benefits of an urban center without having to contribute to it. Many people feel that's unfair and stupid, and the fact that they almost all have roots in whites fleeing the scary minorities sure doesn't help. Dismantling the systems of isolation benefits both the city and the suburb.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Manager Hoyden posted:

He laid it out, while you're making drive-by shitposts. Nobody even knows what your gripe is. Low-density suburbs are not a necessary system.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

JonathonSpectre posted:

I'm no political genius BUT

At the exact moment a pandemic is ravaging America, the economy is collapsing, millions are about to be homeless, and millions are marching in the streets against police wantonly murdering innocent people, perhaps the best tack to take if you are the incumbent just maybe might not be, "My opponent won't keep you safe!"

It's like if loving Martians invaded and your campaign slogan was "Biden will make Mars attack us!" NO poo poo?!?

You forget that these are the same people who chanted DRAIN THE SWAMP while installing more swamp people and expanding the swamp deeper and more swampier.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Manager Hoyden posted:

Or own a working time machine to go back to before every city and town in the nation was developed around the assumption of owning a car.

Or a giant wrecking ball to completely level and rebuild said areas.

Either way seems like a good idea, otherwise dumb as poo poo.

or just, you know, funding public transportation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mat Cauthon posted:

I don't see the problem here, assuming that the car ban happens once we have free robust public transit in most of the country, something that could be accomplished in like...a decade?

at least fifty years to sort out all the land ownership and redevelopment issues

honestly with all the various massive government reforms necessary a solid plague would be simpler and easier, from the perspective of wealth equity and environmental rehabilitation