Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Im fairly surpised you have fighters statted out for this early of tech level. At that level its a roll of the dice (often weighted not in your favor) of NPR and REDACTED ships being faster or near parity with our fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Im going to suggest that, while fun, we try to cut down on impractical and extremely subpar ship designs. Or at least offer a "Are you really sure option".

IMO The last few LPs had issues with this, which lead to players getting extremely frustrated and upset.

Aurora is a slow paced game and going full blast with horrible ships is something that can take a long assed time to recover from, which isnt great when you pissed off some aliens.

Weapons can be swapped out and redesigned fairly easily, entire hulls and such, not so much.

Also OP how are you going to handle the crippling ground unit supply bug?

Edit: You can definitely make star trek esque survey ships and have them work well, but thats a higher tech level thing. Having them as mainline combat ships is...difficult.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 20, 2020

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

I'm happy spacemastering (spacemaster is essentially a mod tool to alter the game, think cheating) my way around ground combat supply stuff. I'll just generate whole new units if need be. Honestly I just hope we solve most of our ground invasion problems from orbit. Ground force stuff is so granular it hurts, and (IMO) it's not the star of the game. My one gripe about C# Aurora is that I have to pay a ton of attention to ground units. If you look at the DB, the stuff I have in there now is essentially simple placeholders. The units are not very complex because I didn't want to spend hours designing platoon level units that will be hopelessly obsolete inside 5 years.

Also I'm happy to use "non-optimal" ship designs, but I'm going to make sure stuff that would never be reasonably commissioned doesn't gets into the game. I'd like to be in a position where if we pop a NPR that is two tech levels ahead we stand a chance, so our ships need to work. Ultimately I want to show off the game and have fun, and I think having less than perfect stuff that people in the thread designed is a big part of that. That said, equally in the spirit of fun, our stuff should have a reasonable expectation of working. I don't really want to wander in "Hitler's Wonder Weapons" territory, but I think recreating in spirit Star Destroyers or Constellation class CA's is totally fine. Certainly a cursory glance at military history reveals that all kinds of sub-optimal stuff gets made, and that combat testing often is the best corrective force upon those designs.

Sounds like you have these issues well thought out! Yeah my main concern was basically us getting severely rolled back system by system by an aggressive NPR or REDACTED because our ships just don't work.

To be clear for people unfamiliar with the game, there is a variety ship design schools of thought that can be effective and I support out of the box thinking and differing schools of thought than my own (Hellooo flying armor bricks).

Deailing with Ground Units from orbit is going to be tricky though with the new STO/entrenching system though unless you want to absolutely dump nukes on a planet.

Setting officers as story mode characters might help with your accident problem!

Also sign me up as an officer please, I have blabbed enough about this without getting my skin in the game!

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 20, 2020

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Drone posted:

Maybe the thread should just kinda dictate general fleet doctrine, leaving Tesla Cola the task of putting together ship proposals that match the doctrine?

Means more work from a GM perspective though.

I'd reaaally rather not dominate the game that way. OP is going to make sure ships are reasonable enough to have a fighting chance against the NPR and thats good enough for me.

Saros posted:

My game had the opposite problem once I eventually let the players run wild on ship design. The resultant fleet was so outrageously min-maxed it was tricky to win fights without making them incredibly lopsided.

It can absolutely swing the other way to once people get the hang of how all the systems work!

VOTING: B,B,B

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 20, 2020

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Drone posted:

Ack, sorry.. I confused you for Virtual Russian for some reason. I meant thread comes up with doctrine via goon hivemind, OP makes the ships that fit the doctrine.

Haha yeah no worries, i figured it was something like that.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Well this better than first contact being a Swarm Matriarch popping in system and dropping swarmlings on earth

B: Best option and wont reveal the origin jump point like C would (though they still might know through passives)

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Decimal seperator also causes major amounts of weirdness.

Edit: welp thats what I get for not refreshing.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

El Spamo posted:

Took the hour or so to get this going on Wine, the move to C# definitely made that kind of thing much easier.

This is dwarf fortress in space. It's a shame almost, because a few QoL additions like coordinating the research-development/research-activity sections, as well auto-generating some baseline equipment so that shipbuilding isn't so opaque. Heck, even just auto-generating a baseline set of ships and classes. It took Sagan's saying "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." really seriously.

Buuuut, it's dwarf fortress in space which means the level of detail is so incredibly high that it's fun to just try to get a handle on the management of things. Colonization is a micromanagement hell, but it's so... hard sci-fi in tone and texture that I'm drawn to keep learning the mechanisms.

Research is getting some steamlining additions next version. You can set the game to auto assign techpoints and autodesign ship classes on new game start where you set species characteristics.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 29, 2020

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Double post

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I forget, wasn't one of the changes a chance for box launchers to go boom when taking damage.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Ground combat on their home planet might be....rough to say the least.

That being said if it comes to it I am in favor of a full ground war/narrative fuckery with some spacemaster stuff.

Carpetbombing with nukes is lovely. It wrecks infrastructure and population meaning the planet is relatively hosed for a while. If you go the enhanced radiation route its just another tech and supply chain you have to deal with.

Worst of all imo is that its so overdone that its just boring.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 1, 2020

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Put me back in Coach, at least till I die in combat.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Significant difference in environment is also going to make it an absolute bitch to fight them on the ground though, unless we basically research and design and build troops for that environment.

Vote Stuff
A
B
B
B
B

Lets not stick our collective space dicks in a blender until we absolutely need to.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 29, 2020

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

Are our mechs not environmentally sealed? We should make our mechs environmentally sealed.

I think you could stack all the capabilities on, but in addition to the upfront resesearch cost every unit would cost roughly 3.25 times as much as a standard one.

I don't really math well though so yeah.

If I remember the formula correctly, terrian and environmentally factors are factored in at different steps, so fighting locals in an area we haven't prepared to fight in will mean we get absolutely shot to poo poo. That's not even factoring in entrenching.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 29, 2020

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

If we're gonna purge all Xenos I'd like to start with the Xenophobes.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I absolutely would not use a ship with missile launchers, let alone a 3000 reload time as a jump point guardian, holy poo poo thats asking to get fragged hard and fast.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Multiple ships coming through really isnt the issue here, and this is a doctrine diffrence but I heavily disagree on missile ships as the blocking force for jump defense, especially at our tech level. Heavily armored and plasma carrionade armed monitors with laser sub weapon systems and CIWS are the ideal, or sprint missile equipped ships, but obviously beggars cant be choosers.

A 50 minute reload time is absolutely going to gently caress you on something like jump defense, let alone our slow missile speed.

Missiles would need to intercept their targets within 11-30 seconds after an enemy squadron jumped in to actually avoid sensors and non-CIWs (and maybe final defensive fire if they fixed that) fire.

With some napkin math our missiles running at 16,000 km/s would need to be launched at anywhere between 176,000 and 480,000 km away to beat that. Thats knife fighting range and we obviously are not going to be doing that.

At our current missile speed, using the range one of you previously mentioned (2-3 m km) it will take 125 seconds for our missiles to intercept at 2 m km. Standard jump shock lasts 125-180 seconds. This means best case scenario we get one volley on target before return fire starts.

I have no idea what their missile speed is like but there is a very real chance they out speed, out range, and at the very least out reload us. The argument that "Well we can just reverse away" only holds true for the enemy ships equipped with beam weapons. Missile equipped ships are going to be able to dump their mags at our ships before we can even get a second volley off.

All and all its a death sentence for any ship and her crew sent to hold those points with these specs, unless its a tiny force coming through in which case beam weapons are more than enough to handle it and will likely be armored enough to tank the return fire necessary to close distance.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 2, 2020

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Are mines working in this version?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

SIGSEGV posted:

Even if they are, mines are also an excellent way of making the player's, and LPer's, brain to collapse into an aneurysm singularity, so perhaps it's best not to venture in that direction.

Yeah you can get very very micromanage heavy with them which is why I only tend to use them on extremely important systems like Sol.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Plek posted:

Mines really seem like something that should only be used if you're expecting a big ship or fleet to be moving through a point and you have a little while to set some up. Just having a permanent minefield seems kind of mind breaking on top of wasting ordinance.

Relatedly, I can't seem to find a way to load up all of my missile slots at once. So I drag each missile to the slot for every launch. Box launchers if it matters. But hey, now I am just going to build massive 2-stage missiles where the first stage is little more than a launch platform and all the normal missiles just take off from there. Hopefully that's how it'll work. Only dealing with a pair of size 30 launchers would save some headache.

If you just have one fire control with the Auto assign function do it for you? Sometimes its finicky though.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Raid went that bad, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Blaze of glory, many of my worries have been with how you would deal with ground combat and this would address that.

There are also a poo poo ton of quality of life features which you should take advantage of.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 12, 2020