Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

How good of a knife are we talking about budget wise? I used to have a decently sized Bowie knife, think Rambo II, and in the handle was a compass built in, fishing wire, some hooks in a small baggie, and a few sticks of matches that lit on most surfaces. Actually me being 12 at the time, 37 now, that was the first thing I ended up using. What would be a good enough compact wet stone to keep it sharp?

How feasible would it be to instead of keeping a physical pack itself packed to the brim, but having smaller caches put in disparate locations depending on the emergency? (hurricane, etc etc). Or is that veering towards a little too doomsday prep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rutibex posted:

this feels like a bad idea. what if someone finds your cache and steals it? what if you have to escape along an unexpected route?

Like I was debating on just using storage places where you toss your junk just a couple of small ones.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rutibex posted:

like in different parts of your home? yeah that makes sense for like emergency food. but its good to have a single bag you can grab at a moments notice for when you get an alert on your phone that a nuke is 30min away or something

Nah nah nah, storage spaces like the ones you rent out for moving and stuff. You can rent out ones that are as small as a closet.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
thats actually a very solid idea

See that's what I thought as well!

I have it in my head to have some supplies just kinda spread around either the state or region Clothes, gear, etc etc, refreshed every once and a while during vacation road trips.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rutibex posted:

i donno how i would feel about the government sending me a bottle of RAD-X

i looked up the prices, and you can get those locker type storage for as little as $10 per month. it wouldn't even be very expensive to have a few of them. though this plan does feel a bit more "secret agent" than "survivalist"

True, and it just kind of encourages the more paranoid parts of myself. Thanks for the knife advice. I wonder what would be the best kind of pants to stow away. Mix of some good true denim, and some workout pants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

Denim is okay only if you stay completely dry. if it rains, or snows, or you fall in a creek, you will get hypothermia if it's cold. pure cotton isn't that good.

I go pretty heavy on those microfiber outdoorsy pants from REI and such. Some are even the dad-mode zipoffs that turn into shorts.

Good point. I was thinking mainly due to denim can be a good tough material and not weigh as much as say, leather.