Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I've been checking Seattle craigslist every few days and I've noticed a ton of 16' and larger kayaks that aren't selling, a decent number of 10.5's that seem to come and go within a few days, and just about nothing in the 12-14' range. I assumed that was the most popular category, but maybe people tend to keep those once they get them? Or they get bought up pretty quick? I've got several months before spring but its interesting how that middle section seems relatively rare in the used market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Salt Fish posted:

I've been checking Seattle craigslist every few days and I've noticed a ton of 16' and larger kayaks that aren't selling, a decent number of 10.5's that seem to come and go within a few days, and just about nothing in the 12-14' range. I assumed that was the most popular category, but maybe people tend to keep those once they get them? Or they get bought up pretty quick? I've got several months before spring but its interesting how that middle section seems relatively rare in the used market.

imho 12ft is ideal for recreational paddling.

i own 3 native ultimate 12s (now sold as the fx 12)
https://nativewatercraft.com/pages/ultimate-fx-12

and 1 pungo 120
https://www.wildernesssystems.com/us/kayaks/pungo-120

as well as a 17ft wooden sea kayak that i haven't used in ~10 years, it just hangs on the ceiling now.

for me it's just an easier, more comfortable and more stable length, easier to transport and store but long enough to not just be a pond boat. i go out a lot but not in the ocean, mainly tidal rivers, lakes and ponds. and i'm not trying to race anyone. this summer it seemed there was as lot on the market, some people who bought during covid and then didnt use them. there are some nice 10-10.5 like the dirigo 106 but they're for smaller people (i'm 6'3" 208lb, dirigo is more for 5'6" or smaller people).
https://oldtownwatercraft.johnsonoutdoors.com/us/shop/kayaks/recreation/dirigo-106

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Salt Fish posted:

16'+ is a big rear end kayak that I wouldn't expect to see much outside of sea use so they aren't gonna sell as fast as something more convenient to splash around flat water in

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

PokeJoe posted:

splash around flat water in

jfc dude lol

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Drove 4 hrs today to get a free 19ft surf ski. drat, this thing is a long MFer

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Luvcow posted:

jfc dude lol

do you not believe that's what the average Seattle urbanite is up to?

e: I shouldn't post after wine that post is from 4 months ago :psyduck:

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 24, 2024

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Surfski maiden paddle. This thing is crazy tippy. I can barely paddle more than a couple strokes before going for a swim. This is gonna take some practice and perseverance

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Has anyone covered any significant distances hauling both a cargo box and a canoe on roof racks? My partner and I are driving from Virginia to Colorado in June and I've found a whitewater canoe (mad river outrage, about 12 ft long) nearby that I'd like to buy since I haven't had much luck finding one locally.

We'll be bringing our dog and packing for 3 weeks including camping gear, along with 2 bikes on my hitch mount bike rack. I had planned to put a cargo box on the roof in order to have room for everything, but now that I've found this canoe I'm wondering if it's wise to even attempt 1700 miles driving across the country with this setup. My thought is that I'd put the 78" wide Yakima bars onto my Outback and that would give me room to carry the canoe and box side by side. If it's going to make the drive home unsafe or miserable I can live without the canoe and keep searching for one closer to home, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if anyone has had success with a similar setup.

Jato fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 27, 2024

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Your fuel mileage is going to suffer, but it's definitely doable. The 78" bars are a little less than 6" wider than an Outback, so it should be legal. My biggest concern would be: how are you going to strap the canoe to the car? Yakima suggests strapping it down like this:

3 weeks of having to undo the rear strap to get into your trunk is going to be a little annoying, but not unlivable. Make sure you use some padding to protect the paint where the front strap contacts it. Trucker Wisdom is you can put a half twist in your strap to keep it from vibrating in the wind. Make sure you can open your cargo box without having to move the canoe, because that would get extra annoying.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Thanks for the feedback! In the past when carrying a canoe I've used these straps on the hood and trunk and it makes it pretty easy to pop into the trunk when needed.

We wouldn't be driving with the canoe for 3 weeks, just staying 3 weeks in Colorado, and then we'd be driving straight back to Virginia just stopping to stay the night a few times.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh dope, yeah, you'll be fine. Have fun.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
One thing to be mindful of is most roof racks have surprisingly low max loads - they're easy to exceed and I've done it a ton with no problems, but something to keep in mind.

I've not done a canoe and roof box but I've done 4 whitewater kayaks and a roof box for a 3 week road trip and our homemade 2x4 rack did fine, and I've done a roof box and 3 kayaks on a normal rack a lot for 1000+ mile trips and haven't had any issues.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

A friend who works for Thule says that for the portage kit the front and rear straps are literally only so you have a visual to see if something is going wrong up top - they are not "structural" in any way. All the work is done by the straps going over the boat and under the roof bars.

As such, they recommended attaching the front straps to the hood hinge area on either side and running it up through the front of the boat. Tight enough to not fly all over but not so tight that they're bending underhood stuff. Avoids scratching the nose of the car.

I threw a carbineer on the rear strap connected to the trailer hitch chain safety loop so I can loosen it a touch and pop it off when I need in the hatch.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

amenenema posted:

A friend who works for Thule says that for the portage kit the front and rear straps are literally only so you have a visual to see if something is going wrong up top - they are not "structural" in any way. All the work is done by the straps going over the boat and under the roof bars.

As such, they recommended attaching the front straps to the hood hinge area on either side and running it up through the front of the boat. Tight enough to not fly all over but not so tight that they're bending underhood stuff. Avoids scratching the nose of the car.

I threw a carbineer on the rear strap connected to the trailer hitch chain safety loop so I can loosen it a touch and pop it off when I need in the hatch.

Errrr that's very bad advice from your friend depending on your craft. For a 12ft white water canoe or recreational kayaks maybe but good luck with a 17ft ultralight canoe and truck wash.

The first part anyway, your actual advice for securing it is good. I use engine mounts on either side and tie very secure trucker hitches. For the front and rear I prefer cord to straps, especially ratchet straps, because it's too easy to over tighten them, they are loud, and obstruct your vision.

Also, it takes just a few minutes with a hacksaw to cut through those Yakima round bars. I reduced my 78s to match the width of my van and use it to carry two canoes. Makes me a lot more comfortable taking long drives with the bars up.. just uh test the setup as best you can and measure twice before you cut

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Having seen how far back a canoe can shift on a rack, even when strapped well, I'll always have a solid strap from bow to front bumper.

I think I posted about it in here, but a buddy of mine had a canoe peel the whole Yakima rack off his Outback on the highway because there was no bow strap. The canoe never came off the rack, just took it with it.

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003

Rated PG-34 posted:

Surfski maiden paddle. This thing is crazy tippy. I can barely paddle more than a couple strokes before going for a swim. This is gonna take some practice and perseverance

How hard is it to remount? They look fun as hell but also really tricky and I've been curious about them for a while.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Siamang posted:

How hard is it to remount? They look fun as hell but also really tricky and I've been curious about them for a while.

Remounting is a bit easier than a sea kayak as it's a sit-on-top. I didn't have much trouble getting back on, though I was in fairly calm water. The previous owner actually installed seat belts so he could roll it. I never managed to properly roll a kayak so I removed them.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Having seen how far back a canoe can shift on a rack, even when strapped well, I'll always have a solid strap from bow to front bumper.

I think I posted about it in here, but a buddy of mine had a canoe peel the whole Yakima rack off his Outback on the highway because there was no bow strap. The canoe never came off the rack, just took it with it.

Yeah this is the danger with the low weight limit on most roof racks, especially with wind loads on large objects like canoes and sea kayaks. The bow and stern straps will help, I've also strapped the rack on through the door frames when doing long bumpy roads with heavy loads up top.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The roof rack on an Outback is sufficiently tied to the structure of the car that I'm not too worried about a kayak pulling the whole thing off, but I agree the bow and stern lines are necessary.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, I never bother with a bow strap on a kayak, unless I'll be on the interstate. I always throw one on a paddleboard though, the nose of an inflatable one will start to flutter.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
With a canoe I always use two straps in front, too much shifting side to side. On my Buick I made strap loops bolted into one of the fender mounts on each side, pop the hood and flip them out when needed then for the rear strap I would put the ball mount in and use that. The kayak is short enough I just fold the seats down and put it in the back of the Suburban, too heavy to lift on to the roof by myself.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

After having tried a surf ski, videos like this are bananas: https://youtu.be/2WP2mHH6Law?si=X-kc7yyFWRCyxne6

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone own a skin-on-frame kayak? Someone was kind enough to give one away for free. It’s in pretty decent shape from what I can tell, aside from needing a new seat.

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

I am doing a 100km kayak marathon tomorrow I have not been in a kayak ever have done some canoeing tho but it is 0 degrees Celsius outside wish me luck.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

What series of events led to your current circumstances?

godspeed, post a trip report

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Are you lapping a lake or something or are portages involved? I don't think I've ever traveled more than 35k in a day by canoe. Rip!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

That's amazing, please report back.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Lol your traps are gonna seize up so hard.

Stay safe, don't forget to get out of the boat and pee.

For real though, stay safe. That sounds like a recipe for death.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah I really hope.you have proper cold weather gear and are ready for it, that's a very very long time in a kayak in cold weather.

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

Jato posted:

What series of events led to your current circumstances?

godspeed, post a trip report

A friend has a midlife crisis so I am going along to support his aspirations. It is on a river and we need to carry the kayak over 4 dams or so as well. At least during the day it will be 6-7C so should get better. And I do brazilian jiu jitsu so hoping all the pulling movements from that have given my back muscles some work. :D

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

lovely tuna snatch posted:

A friend has a midlife crisis so I am going along to support his aspirations. It is on a river and we need to carry the kayak over 4 dams or so as well. At least during the day it will be 6-7C so should get better. And I do brazilian jiu jitsu so hoping all the pulling movements from that have given my back muscles some work. :D

FYI rivers are twisty and windy, and often go far, far from where people are. Two miles of river might be one mile as the crow flies, 62 miles of river might take you a week. Getting to you might be difficult to impossible in a lot of spots.

Goonspeed, pack some sunscreen and a snack.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What river? Where's your put in and takeout?

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

I am OK, it was a competition format, tired as gently caress after 18 hours of suffering so will share the trip report tomorrow.

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

lovely tuna snatch posted:

I am OK, it was a competition format, tired as gently caress after 18 hours of suffering so will share the trip report tomorrow.

Alright, recovered enough to share the experience.

My friend who likes to suffer signed us up for https://www.vohandumaraton.ee/en/. This is a 100 kilometer kayaking/supping/canoeing/rafting marathon taking place in Southern Estonia. Since we have basically flat terrain in the country, the river path runs on a very flat course, where you need to carry the boat over 4 times (dams in the way) and a few "rapids" (20-30cm drop lol). Here's the course map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1PGd3RTdXaMQme7Fuz4tMHrdTcQA&femb=1&ll=57.959544565543645%2C27.25572415000002&z=11.

I mostly do running and sweat a lot. Thus my assumption was that I will also be sweating during this race. That was not the case - I dressed too lightly and basically did not account for the cold weather at all. On top of that, my "apron" (the thing you attach over the kayak to prevent water from falling in) was too small which means I was wet basically from the start of the race. That means I got cold shivers for the first 4-5 hours of the race and every time we got out of the kayak to drag it over the river. I was shivering even when we got back home but managed to get to sleep and was OK by the morning.

Race started at 7AM, we were there at around 6:30AM. First it was a 5km circle in a lake, took a quick piss stop at ~10km, first carry over at 31km and then lunch break at 41km. About that time sun came out and it was more or less manageable being wet as the sun warmed us up (was about 7-8C outside). There were rapids between kilometers 45-55km where my apron completely failed, we got pretty heavily flooded with water, had to drag the kayak out at a random place, drain it of water and switch into dry clothes. After that the river got a bit wider and it was pretty smooth sailing to 75km, where the dinner stop was. Got heavy cold shivers again but there was a warm-up tent so warmed up a bit, got back in and turned on our headlamps as it was already 9PM. It was pretty OK up to the end, last carry over at 90km, then it started snowing but the river was chill and wide for the last 10km and we finished at around 1:30AM. Friend picked us up, we had a rented kayak that we didn't have to deal with further and got home to sleep at around 3:30AM.

Overall, if I had waterproof clothes, my apron had worked, and I had picked gloves from any other material beside polyren, it would have not been that difficult. The kayaking part itself was pretty OK, did not feel much muscle fatigue. But my fingers and toes were frozen for pretty much the entire race and today are swollen up like sausages.

Feel free to ask me about any extra stuff, basically I screwed up on clothing super bad, the faulty apron screwed us over even more, I figured it was going to be an easy boating trip down the river but would definitely prepare a bit more seriously equipment wise next time. :D My relative who was on a 6 man raft finished 2.5 hours faster. I don't have any pictures other than selfies taken at the rest stops as my fingers were too frozen to take the phone out at any point of the journey. This is at the 41km lunch break:

lovely tuna snatch fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 21, 2024

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Good on you for toughing it out. Respeck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah I'm really comfortable in kayaks and in colder weather too and I would not have bitten that off.