Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What paddle should I get for my sit-on-top fishing kayak? I want to be able to cover more water without getting sore so quickly.

Yesterday I was out fishing on this great spot where the depth of the lake goes from like 90 or 100 feet down to maybe 20 or so. The smallmouth love to party there and I catch pretty much every time I'm there. Well long story short I had to cut my awesome retractable dog leash anchor because it got hopelessly wedged between two rocks. I can't decide if I should get another anchor or maybe just get a drift sock.

here she is, feat. dog back and floating unicorn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
That looks like a super cool trip

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
whoops i just spent $419 CAD on a paddle ($224 USD + shipping, tax, and exchange rate) :homebrew:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Yooper posted:

Hi Pescador bro. I've got the same boat minus your cool seat. I went from a generic paddle to a generic carbon fiber paddle. Didn't see a whole lot of difference, that boat is just a big pig.

drat, given my post above where i just spent stupid money on a paddle i hope there's more of a difference for me. and yeah it is a big pig but i think that's how it goes when you're kayak fishing. i do enjoy paddling but it's a means to end for me, i wanna catch them fish. my biggest complaint with the pescador is that for all its size it's still not all that great for standing up in. i probably should have gotten the 10 footer.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Sit on top is better for casting, generally you need a lot of gear that's all easily accessible, and you want a good platform for mounting poo poo all over the place. Plus you want to be able to fish standing up (which like I said is something mine doesn't actually do that well)

As far as materials go my kayak gets beat to hell because I'm always trying to fish somewhere stupid (next to downed trees, next to big rocks, in 2 feet of water, etc.) and I wouldn't want something where I was cringing every time I banged or scraped it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The used kayak market around me is people selling $299 plastic kayaks for $200. My plastic fishing kayak was $1100 CAD, there's no way I could afford an equivalent boat in a nicer material.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Syano posted:

Hey friends... can I get some help here. My kids and I have fallen in love with bass fishing this year. I have 3 boys all 10 and under. A bass boat really isn't in the cards because ya know they are expensive as hell and also its like impossible to find a boat that fishes more than 2 people. So I am looking into angling Kayaks. I have not yet figured out if I need a couple tandems or if I need 1 for each person or a combination and then I have no clue what brands to even look at. Can anyone shed their wisdom on this?

If you all want to fish at the same time I think you might want a rowboat or even a tin boat with an outboard (I think Americans call them jon boats?) Canoe works too but you're gonna want something really stable with 3 kids all trying to fish. I've done some canoe fishing and I personally don't like it, it's hell on my back.

If it were me I'd buy a nice fishing kayak for myself, a couple of lovely beater yaks for the older boys, and maybe a tandem to take the youngest one out. Actually if it were me I'd drop the whole budget on a sick pedal drive yak for myself and let the kids fish from shore.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Syano posted:

I think I found some canoes that may work. I did find a jon boat that has 4 fishing seats but its pricey. I am leaning right now toward your advice of getting 3 beaters for the little guys and 1 for me and just staying close to them for the time being on the lake. Now just gotta hope that someone gets something in stock in the next decade

How old are they? One situation that can lead to tipping your boat is if you're on boat and your kid is on another and they need your help tying a lure or getting unsnagged or something like that. Basically I don't think I'd fish with youngsters anywhere where you're not comfortable with someone going into the water, and I would put as little gear as possible into each of their boats so that if/when somebody tips it's a funny story and not a catastrophe.

Good luck finding some stock though, kayak fishing is awesome. Nothing like hooking a big one and getting pulled around!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Syano posted:

The oldest will be 11 next month. The littlest is 8. If I go this route I'm thinking we will all stay real close together until they become competent paddlers. Either that or I guess figure out how to spend 20 grand on a jon boat that can hold us all

If you guys are just tootling around a small lake that you're comfortable on you might even be able to get away with kids kayaks for them. Our neighbours at the cottage have a couple, I think they're weighted for like 150lbs. Realistically if you've got an 8 year old paddling their own boat you're not gonna be able to cover a ton of water no matter how nice that boat is.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What's your situation? Do you guys have a lake house or would you be driving around to different bodies of water to put in? With a jon boat you need a trailer and a proper boat ramp whereas with kayaks you can put in anywhere. But loading and unloading four kayaks from a car or truck will also be a pain (and that's where lighter smaller kids kayaks would help.)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
It takes me about 15 minutes to solo-load my fishing my kayak on to my civic. It's less work with a truck but you still have to tie it down really securely. I'm not sure how much work it would be to load and launch a jon boat vs. four kayaks. If the lake is fairly large you might be better off with the jon boat although at the same time you can get places on the lake with a yak that you can't get with a jon boat. gently caress it man the world is ending just buy a bass boat and a bunch of yaks.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I poo poo talk trucks all the time but I would really like to have one every time I'm loading my kayak (which isn't often since it mostly lives at the cottage)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
A truck says that a person is a rugged individual that's open to performing manual labour and I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea about me.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Syano posted:

Let me ask this... are fishing focused kayaks useful for anything else? Like day paddling or heading down a river?

I'll take mine out for a paddle around the lake with my wife, it's fine but I'm sure a boat purpose-built to cover water would be a lot better. She just has an inflatable SUP and they're both fine for a lazy paddle with the dog on a calm day. It depends on what you think you're going to be doing most of the time I think. If you were looking for a mix you can definitely rig a rec kayak for fishing. This is what I was fishing out of before I bought my pescador:

I fished out of it before I had the crate and rod holders too. You only need 2 things for kayak fishing: a kayak and a fishing rod. Everything else is gravy.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I got to use my new paddle today, huge improvement even on my big pig fishing kayak. It's just way lighter and less tiring to use. Water was like glass most of today, here's the sun peeking out this morning

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
woke up early to take a paddle (and fish of course)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Water skiers go into the huge open empty part of the lake instead of along the shoreline where people are swimming, paddling, and relaxing challenge

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
That looks amazing, especially that last pic

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What are the seats like in the canoes? I've hated the canoe fishing I've done because the seats had no backs and my lower back was sore after 45 minutes. I also found them a lot less stable than any kayak which was pretty annoying for reaching around for gear. These weren't canoes meant for fishing though.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm sure the kids won't care but last time I went canoe fishing my back was screaming. I have a computer man body though.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Syano posted:

The whole Kayak vs Canoe thing is almost a moot point at the moment. Kayaks are almost non-existent at the moment. Like everywhere. Its insane

On that note if you live where it gets cold and can think of anything you may want to buy for the winter (indoor exercise equipment, good jackets and accessories, boots, ice skates, etc) now is the time because that poo poo is gonna be gone by December. I just bought an insanely warm hat so I can spend more time outside this year.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I also love my chinook

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I use a retractable dog leash for my anchor. You can also use a retractable clothesline, you just need to pull out most of the line and replace it with paracord. My quick disconnect system is a knife. I've made anchors out of both and I think the clothesline is better/cheaper but it also takes a bit more work to set up.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
NRS Chinook for PFD and Bending Branches or Werner for paddle.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I just paddle back to the cottage and grill up some hot dogs

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
That was fast, how'd you flip it?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I have yet to flip my boat. I only weigh 140 though and I only paddle in calm water. Some outriggers wouldn't be a bad idea if you're able to flip your boat just from sitting and leaning. The times when I've come closest to flipping are either when I'm fishing standing up (which my kayak kinda sucks for) or if I'm snagged bad on a windy day.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Don't forget cold water gear. The number I heard was if the air temp and water temp don't add up to over 120f you need cold water gear. If you flip into 40 degree water on a 40 degree day shock isn't is going to set in real fast.

For me if the air temp and water temp don't add up to 120 I'm probably indoors

prom candy fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 29, 2020

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

This day was combined temps of maaaybe 65 and was pretty comfy in a drysuit and good layers underneath.

you could not get my rear end in a kayak on a day like that

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

toggle posted:

Can you guys posts more pics please? I just bought a small 3m sit in touring kayak for myself, but it’s in the mail...

I live 10mins from the bay, so I really need some paddle imagery to help soothe me during this difficult time.

Thank you

I miss summer :(

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I only go out when it's warm and calm, I'm just into this hobby to chill on the water and maybe catch a few fish

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Beauty. We got 20cm of snow over the weekend and we're looking at another 15-20cm tomorrow. Feels like I'll never be on the water again.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I don't go outside on purpose when it's below 7C

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I have the pescador pro 12. It's a nice kayak but it's not super stable. I'm 140lbs and I can stand up and fish off of it, but it doesn't feel good. For sitting it's great, very comfortable. Also if you were gonna fish from it the built in rod-holders are useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Lower back and abs have been killing me lately. I don't think it's just from kayaking, but kayaking isn't helping. Any tips for making it more bearable? I'm only going out for 1-2 hours at a time and I'm fishing so it's not like non stop paddling.