Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
everyone just needs to buy more money so they can get a super73. gf loves her plausibly-deniable moped!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Mopeds aren't ebikes :colbert:

I rarely see folks behaving lovely on my local trails, but when I do, it's those things or lycra-clad shits thinking a busy, mixed-use trail is the right spot to play at Tour de France. The vestigial pedals feels a lot like AR folks jerking themselves off to their "pistol brace" being a clever loophole to regulations on rifle length.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 29, 2023

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Huggybear posted:

These are neat bikes, like a bargain Tern but maybe without the option to carry children other than a baby seat. I scanned both bikes pretty quickly so I may have missed something, but it looks like the only difference is the battery, 10ah or 14ah if I read correctly. The higher amperage is worth the $250. They come with killer quality tires for an entry level e-bike. Seems like REI has got some smart product developers, I wish more Bafang-equipped ebike companies would follow suit.
e: granted they are both being discontinued

The 1.1 has front suspension instead of front rack, but yeah the rack seems nice

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My 1.2 review is that it’s great. It needs a bigger chainring still, like a 52t or 54t, and a real chainstay guard. I’m almost always in the highest gears which also results in chain slap.

You can also unlock it to 28mph with a couple cables and a small module from AE, but it’ll top out around 25mph on the flat at any rate.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

My 1.2 review is that it’s great. It needs a bigger chainring still, like a 52t or 54t

I saw in the reviews in the REI listing page that REI shops claimed they were going to do a running change on it. Dunno if they actually followed through.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

I saw in the reviews in the REI listing page that REI shops claimed they were going to do a running change on it. Dunno if they actually followed through.

They did, afaik. Mine came with the larger 48t chainring and 11-34 freewheel. I still thing it needs a bit more

Originally it was specced with a 42t and a 14-34t freewheel which would require an insane cadence to get it up to 20mph.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Huggybear posted:

Seems like REI has got some smart product developers, I wish more Bafang-equipped ebike companies would follow suit.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Originally it was specced with a 42t and a 14-34t freewheel which would require an insane cadence to get it up to 20mph.
Eyeballing it, I would guess 4 bolt 104 BCD? Wonder if it was hard to source bigger rings than that. Or maybe they expected to get a 7-spd cassette with better top end. Though seems like even with the updates it wasn't enough.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 29, 2023

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

So I had something happen.

Ordered a Aventon Pace 500.2 when Aventon was having a sale on their site. (Sorry Louisville goon, I wasn't in the area at the time). Arrived at doorstep, thought it was weird that it arrived in two boxes but figured it was for ease of shipping or something.

Then I noticed both boxes are equally very heavy. They sent me two bikes. :stare:

Put one together, the other is still in box. Thanks for the free bike I guess? Still trying to decide if I want to sell it, keep it, give it away as a christmas gift or whatever. I've gotten lucky on shipping/merchant errors before but never on something over a thousand dollars.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Appoda posted:

So I had something happen.

Ordered a Aventon Pace 500.2 when Aventon was having a sale on their site. (Sorry Louisville goon, I wasn't in the area at the time). Arrived at doorstep, thought it was weird that it arrived in two boxes but figured it was for ease of shipping or something.

Then I noticed both boxes are equally very heavy. They sent me two bikes. :stare:

Put one together, the other is still in box. Thanks for the free bike I guess? Still trying to decide if I want to sell it, keep it, give it away as a christmas gift or whatever. I've gotten lucky on shipping/merchant errors before but never on something over a thousand dollars.

Send it to me, please. I'll pay for shipping :angel:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I would sleep better if I reported it to the company and let them decide if/how they want to get it back.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I just received my Aventon Abound and man this thing was not made for tall people.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I want an ebike that I can strap a milk carton onto for groceries. Distance about 4 miles round trip with a short but steep hill

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

If a milk crate is all you're looking to tote just about any bike with a rear rack should be fine.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Speleothing posted:

I want an ebike that I can strap a milk carton onto for groceries. Distance about 4 miles round trip with a short but steep hill
Super 73 Adventure S + the rear rack + milk crate of your choice

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

The more important questions is what else do you want out of the bike. What form factor would you prefer? Do you want it to do anything special like fold down into a car trunk or go absurdly fast on the throttle?

mystes
May 31, 2006

TenementFunster posted:

Super 73 Adventure S + the rear rack + milk crate of your choice
You'd think there would be better storage options for motorcycles than milk crates

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Speleothing posted:

Panniers on a rack rule, especially if you get the kind you can carry around and use as your grocery bags, as you'll know exactly how much you can fit.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Speleothing posted:

As mentioned, just about any ebike will work. I got an REI e1.1; it's on sale for ~$900 right now. It's decent - front suspension, hydraulic brakes, and a built-in rack. I use 2 panniers on the rack for groceries, and it's been solid! Before that I just strapped a milk crate to the rack, so can confirm that it works.

Nothing hugely special about it, but the sale price makes it p competitive.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have a Yuba Supermarché/Supercargo electric? Do you have any thoughts on the Bamboo box vs. the canvas one? To be honest I'm leaning towards the canvas one because it is a little bigger. It's disappointing that combined with the child seats they're basically the same price.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

mystes posted:

You'd think there would be better storage options for motorcycles than milk crates
the hardest part is finding a milk crate large enough to accommodate an entire motorcycle

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Speleothing posted:

for any real grocery shopping a milk crate will kinda suck - weight is up too high, making things very tippy.

panniers are better but it’s still not very fun to load up all the heavy poo poo on your bike vs. my favorite solution for shopping: a trailer. you can score a used one around me for less than $100, or get a new Aosom cheapo one for a little more.

I can carry $300 worth of groceries without feeling unstable at all, and it takes about 10 seconds to attach or detach the trailer. Once you’re riding it’s slow but your bike handles much better. For an ebike a mid drive would handle the hill much better than most hub drives.

Main issue with trailers is storage, some fold flat but it can still be a pain without a garage.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

As a counterpoint I absolutely hate how a bike, even a fairly powerful ebike feels with a trailer attached and I actually bought a cargo bike to avoid it.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

That’s fair! I mostly hated the pain of loading all the groceries onto the bike and having it topple over, a good kickstand would have done a lot to stop that. For me, I barely notice the trailer other than the drag, and I love tossing stuff in the cavernous zip up Amazon bag.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I also barely notice a trailer. If it's loaded up really heavy then braking can be a little dicier on hills, but when it's empty I barely notice it. Personally I highly recommend it for grocery runs. I've been using a Burley Nomad for years now.

Feawen
May 12, 2023

mystes posted:

Milk crates are the swiss army knife of eeebs

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I was searching Reddit posts for information on upgrading my brakes on the Radio Flyer L885, and found a guy who did it with some fancy looking calipers. They arrived this week and I hope to tackle the project over the Christmas break time. I'll post pictures once I either have success or need some advice.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Feawen posted:

Milk crates are the swiss army knife of eeebs
yeah, for ebikes

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Milk crates? Gotta go bigger.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Picked this thing up on Wednesday, a Riese and Müller Packster 70. I have gone from panniers, to cargo trailers, to kid trailers and kid seats all on a non-electric commuter. Which has mostly been fine although I find the kid trailer to be a bit of a pain in the rear end so I haven't really used it much. Now that my second kid is getting bigger I have a need to take both of them around at once though and have been a little jealous when I see parents rolling up to the rec center in Urban Arrows or various Yuba bikes.

It was between this and a Yuba Supercargo CL, and then only because the R&M was on sale for a good price. To be honest I kind of liked the Yuba a bit more just overall and if I didn't have kids it would be a no brainer at the price. It seems a bit more versatile with the simple cargo platform and oversized rack, and I thought the geometry and frame felt a bit better. The steering felt a little worse but I suspect the shop did not have it that well-tuned. Ultimately though the comfort of the box for the kids on the R&M won me over. The kid bench on the Yuba is pretty chintzy and small (around 18" wide vs. 22"), the harnesses aren't nearly as nice, and the rain cover is pretty janky. Plus the bamboo board rattled quite a lot

It's been good so far. I did some simple trips today, brought my oldest to gymnastics and did a grocery run (both in moderate rain). Kiddo stayed nice and dry in the box, although I found water ran off it a little bit onto her while loading/unloading.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Dear Thread - please help me select an e-bike.

I live in Seattle, and Washington State in 2024 is supposed to introduce subsidies for e-bike purchase. I'd like to plan ahead as to what bike would be best for me, so I can take advantage of this when it becomes active. Subsidies are $300, up to $1200 for Low Income. I'm assuming that I'd fall into the $300 bracket, as I am a computer toucher by trade.

:rice: Washington State requirements: Cannot be used on e-mountain bikes, or on other forms of micromobility. https://wsdotblog.blogspot.com/2023/08/hold-onto-your-handlebars-well-soon.html?m=1

Now, a bit about me:

I'm a tiny fatty, who is 4'11" tall, 165 lbs, and is massively out of shape. I also have muscle spasticity, so I may need a trike or an adaptive bike. Seattle has Veo e-mopeds that I've been renting; these fit me perfectly, I feel safe riding them, and I love riding them! https://www.veoride.com/cosmo/. I've tried 'full sized' e-bikes, and they're MUCH too large for me to handle, with their higher center of gravity, and longer reach up to the handlebars. (For example? I can't ride this: https://www.li.me/vehicles/electric-bike)

So, I'm looking for something that has the following, while totally acknowledging that what I''m asking for is a unicorn:

Is the same size and shape as a Veo Cosmo, but is *not* a Veo Cosmo. Those are essentially throttle only e-mopeds with useless pedals attached, to satisfy City of Seattle bureaucracy. :effort:

I'd need a Class 2 bike. Depending on now my spasticity is, I want the flexibility to pedal when I want, and to use the throttle only when I want. Plus, Seattle is HILLY, and gently caress biking up Capitol Hill. Having a throttle would be a lifesaver, and is mandatory.

I want to mainly ride around the city for funsies, but do errands sometimes, like some minor grocery shopping. Not 'haul poo poo from Costco' level, but 'Oh, I want to take some veggies back from the Farmer's Market' level. I imagine that the rides will be between 1-10 miles, at least to start out with.

Something I can attach a rear view mirror to, because Seattle drivers are massively unsafe.

Folding up would be a nice bonus, but not necessary. I just need to be able to take it into my aparment when not riding it; my apartment complex has really insecure bike parking. I do have access to an elevator for this.

I will not be insulted if I should check out a kid's bike, due to my height. In fact, this might be a viable option.

With the $300 rebate, I'm willing to spend up to $2,500 on a decent bike set, with a durable lock.

The lighter the better, but that might be hard to ask for at my price point.

I've been looking at Rad Power bikes, but I imagine that I'm missing something else out there. I'm just starting to look at bike options. I also really love the Terns, but those are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

I do have an REI membership, if that helps. Same with Costco.

Thanks!

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 11, 2023

Feawen
May 12, 2023

I am not a big fan of Rad after them laying off all their customer support reps.
Tern stuff won't have a throttle.

IMO I would go for something like an Aventon Sinch.
https://www.aventon.com/products/sinch2-ebike?variant=42396743565507
Spend the rest of the money on some decent smaller panniers or accessories like a front rack, maybe a nice helmet and a lock. I have the Kryptonite fuggehdaboutit and nobody even looks twice at it in Denver, where bike theft is super high.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Feawen posted:

I am not a big fan of Rad after them laying off all their customer support reps.
Tern stuff won't have a throttle.

IMO I would go for something like an Aventon Sinch.
https://www.aventon.com/products/sinch2-ebike?variant=42396743565507
Spend the rest of the money on some decent smaller panniers or accessories like a front rack, maybe a nice helmet and a lock. I have the Kryptonite fuggehdaboutit and nobody even looks twice at it in Denver, where bike theft is super high.

Thank you so much!

The Denver point is also super valuable, as Seattle also has super high bike theft rates.

Luckily, I already have a Thousand helmet that I bought a couple of years ago. They are worth the money!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Kona is having a 50% off sale

https://www.konaworld.com/collections/50-off-sale-bikes

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Qu Appelle posted:

Thank you so much!

The Denver point is also super valuable, as Seattle also has super high bike theft rates.

Luckily, I already have a Thousand helmet that I bought a couple of years ago. They are worth the money!

Seconding the Aventon. If you buy from Costco, they have a one year no questions asked return policy (which in Canada, at least, does apply to ebikes, maybe the US too). Aventon also has a two year warranty policy which is almost unheard of - they can afford it because they are basically the North American direct to consumer brand for one of the biggest mainland Chinese ebike factories.

Absolutely do not buy a Rad.

kimbo305 posted:

Kona is having a 50% off sale

The bike industry in general is seriously bottoming out, the ebike market is very saturated, and it looks like it is a good time to buy an ebike

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Kona jacked up the MSRP on the bikes to game the sale price.

Sad!

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 14, 2023

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
40C , 50+kph headwinds - Oh look, thats why I got an e-Road bike. Doing that on something unassisted is deeply awful

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

40C , 50+kph headwinds - Oh look, thats why I got an e-Road bike. Doing that on something unassisted is deeply awful

gently caress, 40C? I need e-assist to get from my air conditioned kitchen to my air conditioned couch in that kind of heat.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I know this looks like poo poo lol

But I am excited because I just got done building my first ebike battery for a stealth bomber clone I'm also building.

It's 60v 24ah (16s6p Samsung 40t 21700 cells) so it's capable of a pretty decent amount of power, but I'm gonna be running a 48v 1500w hub motor with it, so I shouldn't be getting above 30a continuous in an ideal world.

Here it is. I'm going to wrap the whole thing in heat shrink once I do a full charge cycle. The BMS is Bluetooth so I can monitor charging and discharging.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

hark posted:

I know this looks like poo poo lol

But I am excited because I just got done building my first ebike battery for a stealth bomber clone I'm also building.

It's 60v 24ah (16s6p Samsung 40t 21700 cells) so it's capable of a pretty decent amount of power, but I'm gonna be running a 48v 1500w hub motor with it, so I shouldn't be getting above 30a continuous in an ideal world.

Here it is. I'm going to wrap the whole thing in heat shrink once I do a full charge cycle. The BMS is Bluetooth so I can monitor charging and discharging.

Did you follow a guide to build this? Any tips, things you'd do differently? Did you use a spot welder?

I've been thinking of doing something similar since it's getting hard to find batteries in the specific size I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Did you follow a guide to build this? Any tips, things you'd do differently? Did you use a spot welder?

I've been thinking of doing something similar since it's getting hard to find batteries in the specific size I want.

I didn't follow any 1 particular thing (which would have been super helpful) just because there wasn't really a tutorial anywhere that incorporated everything I was questioning or encountering. I basically just researched as much as needed for me to feel comfortable starting the project, chose cells, bought a battery spot welder (the glitter 801d, which was sufficient, but I'd recommend something better, as I had to go over my welds a lot over multiple sessions to feel like they were secure) and went to town. I overbuilt the poo poo out of it also just because I want it to last as long as possible by being stressed as little as possible. I have the BMS set to only charge it to about 90% capacity and to do it relatively slowly, while also keeping the cells balanced.

There's a YouTube channel called ebikeschool.com (I think?) that had some good videos on the concept of making a battery (although those were all smaller than what I wanted and needed, the concept is mostly the same) and then I skimmed endless-sphere.com and some solar forums for more info on batteries and BMS technology. This whole thing was about a year in the making, mostly because I work and am in school full time, so I just tagged into the project on rare moments when I had spare time or when I was dicking around at work and could pay attention to it.

Also the dude who does that YouTube channel has a book about building diy batteries and I grabbed a copy of that to reference for information. All in all this project cost more than it would have to just buy a battery, but I also gained the tools and knowledge to make more of them in the future, should my needs/desires change.

If you end up wanting to pull the trigger on a project, feel free to dm me with questions. I'm no expert, but I found a lot of info through trial, error, and incessant digging.