Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I have two questions for the e1.1(/2) owning hive mind.

Has anyone mounted fenders? These claim to have been designed for the e1.1, but also people mention things like having to switch to smaller diameter wheels to fit it to the 1.1: https://ridepdw.com/products/full-e-bike-fenders-20-x-3-1

Has anyone attached a trailer they particularly like to it, and what adapter did you use if so? It seems sort of like this one might work, but I am not really sure: https://robertaxleproject.com/product/trailer-hitch-adapter-for-rad-power-bikes/. I'm not quiiite able to carry as much as I'd like with just two panniers on the rack, so I'm hoping to get to effective full cargo bike status with the addition of a trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy
I'm looking to replace my trek fx 2 with an electric commuter.
Say someone I know won a weird kind of jank bike and wanted to sell it to me. A Mercedes Benz EQ formula E team bike. Maybe it's a very reasonable price.

It has cvt gear and a belt drive. Looks impossible to maintain otherwise. Should I just pick it up and run it into the ground?

edit: context I live in a warm place, I dont like hills, my area is flat enough. Otherwise I'll tell you my region and yall can have fun bike shopping for me :iiam:

PosSibley fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 28, 2024

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

PosSibley posted:

Looks impossible to maintain otherwise. Should I just pick it up and run it into the ground?

Have you looked into how these bikes are supported by Mercedes? Do they say which brand they partnered with or how they would be fixed?

You don’t have to be coy with the price, re whether it’s worth running into the ground.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'm personally skeptical of non-bike brands slapping their brand on an ebike. Harley did similar. Either they developed it in-house with no actual experience in bicycle design and thus risks bad engineering or they outsourced it to a shop with more experience and put the brand on what may otherwise be a mediocre bike to add a couple thousand to the sticker.

That's all speculative, though :shrug:

If the price is right and you've had a chance to give it a test ride, consider going for it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I saw a guy getting his BMW bicycle serviced at REI and yes he did look & act like a BMW driver

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
About to pull the trigger on a e1.2 from REI. Anything super important to know?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Unlock it and rip

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Airconswitch posted:

I had some spare SA decals, but they were lost when my bike got stolen.

kimbo305 posted:

Ok yall, back to ebike headtube badge project. I commissioned this with the artist Hex Aunzo, who has a style I really vibe with.
I went with the Bearpope theme of the SA cycling jerseys, which I know some people think of as cycling-elitist. Well here's your chance to broaden the base:

Remarks:
- i thought the front rack of the e1.2 had a bit more visual appeal, so I asked for that as the reference
- that said, I thought it would be a waste not to have the design done in all 6 e1.1/1.2 colors: white, black, orange, yellow, green, blue. You can see all 6 here: https://imgur.com/a/Re5G2sK
- Hex assigned ownership of the art to me, and I grant yall free reign to print out / make copies / etc. If you want to redesign / modify it, please give credit to Hex.

So, if you want a head badge sticker, I'll offer 2 options:
1. print your own out on RedBubble here
I recommend going with the transparent sticker if you don't have a white bike. This is a decent preview of what it'll look like: https://www.redbubble.com/i/sticker/sa-bearpope-coop-e1-1-blue-by-mengmao/151363636.O9UDB
You can of course get bigger stickers or have it printed on other products.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Airconswitch posted:

I've got the 1.1 and I love it, but with the child seat on the back rack I'm pretty low on haulage capacity. Anyone know if you can get a front rack on one of these easily?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
REI's website is showing the 1.1 and 1.2 as discontinued now, huh.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

I've got the 1.1 and I love it, but with the child seat on the back rack I'm pretty low on haulage capacity. Anyone know if you can get a front rack on one of these easily?

Depends on your needs.

If you want a 1.2 style frame mounted solution, there's a few that mount to the headtube or downtube, with adapters that you'd want to take care not to overtighten and crush onto your tubes:
https://www.dutchbikebits.com/steco/steco-headtube-mounting-rack
https://www.dutchdogdesign.com/product/britch-rack
https://dutchbikes.ca/products/azor-pick-up-frame-mounted-front-carrier?variant=3858016043035
No points for why the dutch feature prominently in this style of bike usage.

If you're ok mounting it to the handlebar, there's many basket options, as well as simpler and lighter stuff:
https://carradice.co.uk/products/bagman-barrack

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I just hit 1350 miles on my Aventure 2 and it's showing no signs of stopping. It owns, ebikes own.

Aventon put out a new model recently, it's apparently a midshaft drive, waterproof e-mountain bike. Really hoping this is the start of mid drives becoming more common at lower price points because I want one on my next bike.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Can confirm, mid-drives own.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
It's crazy how quickly you can rack up the miles on a e-bike, my HSD is at 3,700 miles and is about 1.5 years old!

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

raggedphoto posted:

It's crazy how quickly you can rack up the miles on a e-bike, my HSD is at 3,700 miles and is about 1.5 years old!

Yeah, I live in a very bike friendly city and haven't had to touch a car in over a year. My work commute is really short but going it daily does add up.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Stop me if this is a better fit for the general bike thread, but I wanna hear about everyone's accessories -- anything you've strapped to your bike that comes highly recommended.

Particularly I'm looking for some good panniers. Bought a cheap one advertised for 30L but I feel like I need more space to do grocery runs. Before that I'd just strap a backpack to the side of my rear rack and that worked okay; didn't put a lot of weight on it though. Thought about doing that for both sides as a low-cost solution.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I really like this bag for groceries:

Blackburn Local Grocery Bike Bag... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VKFVP1P

It's sized for a paper grocery bag, and it folds up when it's empty.

My bike has a decent front rack, and I'll use rok straps to strap an Instant Crate from Costco on there to carry more groceries.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

raggedphoto posted:

2700kms in 5 months on my Creo. Its just so much fun to commute on and turns heavy headwinds into what wind so well.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Once you get an ebike, everything's downhill :banjo:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Local ebike group had this warning about Rad parts availability

quote:

I’m considering trading in my RadRover 6+ for a non-Rad bike. My bike is in great condition but needs a new controller which is currently out of stock (new controller would be $150). What should I expect to get as a trade-in value? I bought the bike new in 2022 and it has 1000 miles on it.
Bonus question: are there shops that would buy the bike in non-working condition?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

kimbo305 posted:

Local ebike group had this warning about Rad parts availability

I'm not really familiar with their hardware at all, but is there some reason you can't just buy any controller rated for the battery's voltage and then just re-end all the connectors if need be?

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

hark posted:

I'm not really familiar with their hardware at all, but is there some reason you can't just buy any controller rated for the battery's voltage and then just re-end all the connectors if need be?

that could be a lot of tiny wires, not exactly amateur stuff. and given that they blatantly use weird sizes for other parts (22" tires? seriously?) i wouldn't be surprised to find that the stock connectors are all unique...

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Man_of_Teflon posted:

that could be a lot of tiny wires, not exactly amateur stuff. and given that they blatantly use weird sizes for other parts (22" tires? seriously?) i wouldn't be surprised to find that the stock connectors are all unique...

drat that sucks. Also lol @22" tires. Is that proprietary? I've never seen or heard of that size anywhere.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I've wired in controllers without fitting connectors a few times. It's not the most fun job in the world but it's totally doable - I'm a total amateur with modest electrical experience. It's a bunch of wires, but it's not that many. Five thick ones and about a dozen small ones, give or take a few. You can just crimp or solder them and it will work, or you can pin out new connectors which is often the neatest and by far the fiddliest way to do it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

hark posted:

drat that sucks. Also lol @22" tires. Is that proprietary? I've never seen or heard of that size anywhere.

It’s a motorcycle size, and a few curious owners have managed to get dirt bike tires on there.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

So after a few months with my Aventon Level.2 I'm 75% liking it. I like the whole ebike thing but I overestimated how annoyed I would be at the size. It's a little too much bike.

My thinking when I bought it was that I'm in an urban area with crappy streets (welcome to america) so I wanted fatter tires and some shocks. There are also some spots of flat gravel trail. I've been able to ride around pretty well without rattling my teeth out of my head which has been good.

Boy is this thing heavy at 60 pounds, though. I'm also having trouble finding places to lock it up because of the space it takes up and it's hard to get a U-lock around the frame. I also have not nearly used the battery capacity. I don't think I've ever gone lower than 60% in usage. I'll usually only use the first level of assist.

I need to weigh the pros and cons of having those shocks and tires I guess. It's definitely been better on gravel, but that's just been a sometimes thing. I'll probably go out with my normal bike one day while my wife's on the ebike and we'll compare notes.

So I'm thinking about selling it and getting something a little more like my hybrid non-ebike. I was hoping to stick with Aventon since it seems like good quality and they have their Soltera.2 which is 15 pounds lighter. If my wife decides to follow me in going lighter the Soltera.2 wouldn't work for her since she has liked riding a step-through.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I've been a rigid body die hard for life, it's lighter and just feels more raw. If you're trying to use it as your main vehicle I also feel like addng a bunch of weight from groceries or whatever defeats the purpose of the shocks sice they'll just be compressed. I'm normally not one for big tires, but if your roads are ultra choppy then that's a cool use i didn't think of before

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
My bike weighs like 90 pounds so I need to suspension or else I'll fly off when I hit a small rock

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

The Pace is a little lighter and a great all around bike if you mostly ride on pavement, but iirc it's still 50lbs or so. It's hard to get much lighter than that with an Ebike.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
My bike is about 60 pounds and I found it to be bigger headache than I though it would be. My office has 4 steps to get into the building and getting my bike up them is doable but a pain, getting the bike into my truck is difficult and overall the bike just feels heavy. Whenever I go to pick up my rigid mountain bike I practically throw into the air it's so light in comparison.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Zapf Dingbat posted:

So after a few months with my Aventon Level.2 I'm 75% liking it. I like the whole ebike thing but I overestimated how annoyed I would be at the size. It's a little too much bike.

My thinking when I bought it was that I'm in an urban area with crappy streets (welcome to america) so I wanted fatter tires and some shocks. There are also some spots of flat gravel trail. I've been able to ride around pretty well without rattling my teeth out of my head which has been good.

Boy is this thing heavy at 60 pounds, though. I'm also having trouble finding places to lock it up because of the space it takes up and it's hard to get a U-lock around the frame. I also have not nearly used the battery capacity. I don't think I've ever gone lower than 60% in usage. I'll usually only use the first level of assist.

I need to weigh the pros and cons of having those shocks and tires I guess. It's definitely been better on gravel, but that's just been a sometimes thing. I'll probably go out with my normal bike one day while my wife's on the ebike and we'll compare notes.

So I'm thinking about selling it and getting something a little more like my hybrid non-ebike. I was hoping to stick with Aventon since it seems like good quality and they have their Soltera.2 which is 15 pounds lighter. If my wife decides to follow me in going lighter the Soltera.2 wouldn't work for her since she has liked riding a step-through.

I'm curious what sort of U-lock you have that it's difficult to get it around a bike like this? I'm able to get my U-lock around my bakfiet style electric cargo bike on most bike racks with some shimmying.

Mostly to me this seems like a weird move to go from a 62lbs bike to a 46lbs bike, esp when the latter lacks fenders and a rack which will cut into that margin a little bit. Still heavy rear end bikes either way.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I've got this:

https://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/products/product-information/current-key/002031.html

I find the big portions of the frame a little hard to get around. I can do it as long as the rack is accommodating, but a lot of times I'm going places where this is less than ideal. I'm using the bike recreationally, and the thought of trying to find a place to lock it up causes me a little anxiety. About 25% of the time I have to rely on a cable. Maybe I need a bigger u-lock or something else, I don't know. My wife has the step-through version and that's even harder to get a lock around.

The fatter tire and shocks also makes it hard to squeeze into places. Again, I need to decide whether that difficulty is worth not getting my brains scrambled if I have to go into the street.

I'm also storing these in my apartment. Our normal bikes are on the community bike rack, and I'll be damned if I could lift it vertically onto the rack and get it to fit next to other bikes.

I would want to add fenders and a rear rack to a lighter ebike, but I would think that I'd still net 10 pounds lighter in the end, right?

Zapf Dingbat fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 28, 2024

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Folding locks are heavier than equivalent rated u locks but are a more flexible option for locking bikes. They are a little less secure but I love the flexibility of the lock.

I use a foldylock forever but kryptonite and abus offer folding locks too.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I use a folding lock too and it helps with ebikes that have chonky frames.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I have an Abus (long version) and it's great. I can park my bike anywhere.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I know we were just talking about weight but kryptonite chains are really nice and having an ebike motor removes the lock's weight downside when riding. I use an evolution with mine, the anti theft policy would cover the pace's value anywhere except if parked in nyc.

If i were buying a lock again I'd probably spring for the extra $40 or so for their chain that is nyc-rated just for the extra peace of mind since i don't live in the best part of a city, but the main point to remember is that as long as things go right that lock will last well over a decade

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Also when you're carrying the bike up stairs, here's my method. No clue how standard it is, but it centers the weight really well for my body and bike shapes, so give this a shot if it feels awkward when you carry yours:

• Bike facing the reverse direction, standing next to it with the bike on the right of your body
  • Pedals rotated so that the one on your side is the farthest toward the front of the bike (behind you)
  • Stand against the bike with your leg basically pushing against the front chainring
  • Squat a little and reach right arm over the bike so the triangle will be under your arm, grab the bottom tube just in front of the bottom bracket with your right hand ("in front" meaning grab it toward the bike's front, so behind the bracket from your perspective)
  • Stand up from the squat to pick the bike up, while standing simultaneously rotate the bike back so the front wheel goes down and grab the bottom of the rear triangle just in front of the rear derailleur with your left hand (same "in front" note)
  • Rotation complete where the weight feels natural, for me it was near vertical, handlebars will be located a few inches behind your lower back for reference
  • The front wheel will keep itself centered by riding its side against your right leg
  • If your seat post is high, you might even be able to tuck it on/over your right shoulder for extra support

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 29, 2024

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

I know we were just talking about weight but kryptonite chains are really nice and having an ebike motor removes the lock's weight downside when riding. I use an evolution with mine, the anti theft policy would cover the pace's value anywhere except if parked in nyc.

If i were buying a lock again I'd probably spring for the extra $40 or so for their chain that is nyc-rated just for the extra peace of mind since i don't live in the best part of a city, but the main point to remember is that as long as things go right that lock will last well over a decade

That's what I went with. It can loop around itself so you can tether the bike to a post without needing to be right next to it. Well worth having to grapple with a 15lb lock and chain

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I have the NYC chain and have had some rust issues with the lock which makes unlocking it a pain. The chain is also huge and you'll want a decently sized bag of some variety to stow it, because you sure aren't going to be wrapping it around the frame.

Anyone who wants to steal the bike is gonna have to make a hell of a lot of noise to do so, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
krypto chain + NYC lock is peak. my gf has one for parking at home and another for school, which is in an access-controlled bike locker. a bit overkill but you don’t have to outrun the bear in that situation