Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It would be great if it didn't come undone in the wind, and for most of them I don't mind if they can't be untied because of the carabiners, but for the longer ropes I'd want to be able to tie and untie them relatively easily since there'd be no other way of taking it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Okay so here is the basic premise of the adjustable grip hitch. I have used it multiple times for exactly what you're describing - making a temporary tarp roof for working under.

You do this at at least 3 of the corners of the tarp to achieve tautness - the 4th corner can be fixed. However, doing it at all 4 can be useful as it lets you make small adjustments to the position of the tarp. Note that it takes some space. You need like, probably at least 2 feet between the tie point and the corner grommet. That's just the nature of trying to taut something up, it takes some space to tighten the rope.

Also, if you want ease of taking down, just stick a small carabiner or rope clip in between the bowline/hitch and the tarp grommet, it won't affect the functioning of the rest of the system other than adding an inch or two. As a bonus, the adjustable grip hitch makes it super easy to relieve the tension and give yourself enough slack to unclip the biners during take-down, without actually untying a single knot (the trucker's hitch would have to be partially undone). I'm sure you're aware of this but hardware stores usually sell small non-climbing carabiners and rope clips with actual load ratings (like 50-100 lb) for pretty cheap. Better than a totally unrated keychain carabiner, but cheaper than a climbing carabiner which would be major overkill.

You can get away with only doing the 4 corners just fine. However if you want extra security, you could do something like this, which I think? is what you were envisioning?

The grommet-biners would be free to slide along the line, but it shouldn't matter, because the corners will be what is keeping the tarp taut.

e: as for tying the adj. grip hitch, this should help and I'm sure there are a million youtube videos. In the pictures at that link, the carabiner plays the role of the brown tie-on point in my diagram.

The big important thing with this knot is you must dress it nicely after tying! Even the link I showed spends its last frame showing the knot going from technically tied but bad, to nicely dressed. If you don't dress all the little loops so that they're nice and tight and cozy together, it will not bite on the rope and you will wonder if you tied it wrong, even if you technically tied it right it just needs to be dressed.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 28, 2021

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

alnilam posted:

Okay so here is the basic premise of the adjustable grip hitch. I have used it multiple times for exactly what you're describing - making a temporary tarp roof for working under.

You do this at at least 3 of the corners of the tarp to achieve tautness - the 4th corner can be fixed. However, doing it at all 4 can be useful as it lets you make small adjustments to the position of the tarp. Note that it takes some space. You need like, probably at least 2 feet between the tie point and the corner grommet. That's just the nature of trying to taut something up, it takes some space to tighten the rope.

Also, if you want ease of taking down, just stick a small carabiner or rope clip in between the bowline/hitch and the tarp grommet, it won't affect the functioning of the rest of the system other than adding an inch or two. As a bonus, the adjustable grip hitch makes it super easy to relieve the tension and give yourself enough slack to unclip the biners during take-down, without actually untying a single knot (the trucker's hitch would have to be partially undone).

Sounds good!

alnilam posted:

I'm sure you're aware of this but hardware stores usually sell small non-climbing carabiners and rope clips with actual load ratings (like 50-100 lb) for pretty cheap. Better than a totally unrated keychain carabiner, but cheaper than a climbing carabiner which would be major overkill.

Yeah, the snap clips I've bought are rated to 120kg.

alnilam posted:

You can get away with only doing the 4 corners just fine. However if you want extra security, you could do something like this, which I think? is what you were envisioning?

The grommet-biners would be free to slide along the line, but it shouldn't matter, because the corners will be what is keeping the tarp taut.

I was actually planning on putting anchors as close to every 2m along the wall as I could do, and then do multiple tie-ons, just in case the wind decides to rip them out of the wall. Probably overkill. I guess I could add them and use them as eyelets for running that line through.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

You mean like this? Probably also fine, perhaps overkill though yeah idk. I would still recommend the adjustable grip hitch on one end to taut the entire thing up.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah something like that.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Honestly I would not worry about the anchors on the wall failing. Are you talking about like, some eyelets screwed into wood? Just get ones rated for 100 lb or something. Use some decent ~100 lb rope too.

I've had this sort of system fail one time and it was the tarp grommet itself - one of them tore out in a heavy storm and that diagonal corner of the tarp was loose and flapping wildly. It was a cheap and very old tarp that was already fraying substantially. If you have a nice sturdy tarp (I think good tarps even have load ratings on their grommets?) then it should be fine. Attaching some of the side grommets will help keep that from happening too, and that way even if one grommet does rip, the thing won't flap wildly.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Oh! One more tip, a really important one. Mount the whole thing at an angle. Otherwise rain will just collect in the middle and sag it down and you have to poke at it with a broomstick to dump all the water back off and all the water rushing off at once makes a big splash and a lot of mud and.... just mount it at an angle.

e: to this end, people sometimes also add a ridgeline - a taut rope (adj. grip hitch!) that runs across and underneath the middle of the tarp to make it like a lil roof. Random pic from google image search:

this makes all the geometry a bit more complicated so if i were you I'd just put the whole thing at an angle coming down from the house, or down from the fence on the right, depending on what direction the wind/rain tends to blow in from. Place your eyelets accordingly.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 28, 2021

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

As it happens I’ll be doing that anyway, just from the different heights of the available anchor points

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Not great photos but this is the bowline and hitch I wound up doing.

Seems to work fine :)

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
How do you do this to a boat?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVR3OdMDSi5/

100 credits for the Kazoo Soundtrack.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

VideoGameVet posted:

How do you do this to a boat?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVR3OdMDSi5/

100 credits for the Kazoo Soundtrack.

I think that's a recorder, kazoos have a more buzzy sound.

Real answer is usually neglect. A drive seal, bellows, or thru hull fitting has a leak but the bilge pump keeps up with it until the pump fails or the batteries die overnight.

As to how you let that happen? "It'll probably be fine and boat maintenance is so expensive..."

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Good yacht engineers weren’t exactly thick on the ground before COVID flipped the job market upside down. I’d imagine a lot of thirds have very suddenly become firsts, and this is the result.

I almost got into that business when I got laid off from my airline gig. Glad I didn’t.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Cat Hatter posted:

I think that's a recorder, kazoos have a more buzzy sound.

Real answer is usually neglect. A drive seal, bellows, or thru hull fitting has a leak but the bilge pump keeps up with it until the pump fails or the batteries die overnight.

As to how you let that happen? "It'll probably be fine and boat maintenance is so expensive..."

My brother in-law (charters boats) once got a new decent-sized catamaran (35’ or so) that was delivered with the seacocks opened.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

What's up, boaters? Did you do something you're proud of this year? Maybe you started sailing or competed in your first race. Get it burned into your rap sheet forever by posting in the 2021 Achievement Sixxer thread!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Went sailing on a Cal 22 (friend belongs to a club) last Saturday in San Diego.

We had a dead downwind run back to the Coronado Bridge, I had skippered most of the day.

So I did a wing-to-wing (main and jib on opposite sides) since the breeze was light and all of that. They had never heard of doing that.

Anyone else do this?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

VideoGameVet posted:

We had a dead downwind run back to the Coronado Bridge, I had skippered most of the day.

So I did a wing-to-wing (main and jib on opposite sides) since the breeze was light and all of that. They had never heard of doing that.

Anyone else do this?

Absolutely. It's one of my preferred ways to sail when possible.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's the classic "I want to get back to the bar before sunset, but don't feel like putting up the spinnaker" move

Lots of boats cross oceans doing this, SV Delos only very recently started using spinnakers after 7 years of wing on wing

If you're gonna jury rig a boom preventer, rig it from the bow for the most beneficial angle

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Hadlock posted:

That's the classic "I want to get back to the bar before sunset, but don't feel like putting up the spinnaker" move

Lots of boats cross oceans doing this, SV Delos only very recently started using spinnakers after 7 years of wing on wing

If you're gonna jury rig a boom preventer, rig it from the bow for the most beneficial angle

No spinnaker on this Cal.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It can safely be assumed then that no margaritas were spilled on that trip, then

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

Anyone else do this?

All the time (Catalina 25), although if the water isn’t flat it’s not super comfortable and if we’re not in a hurry we usually take a longer line on a broad run.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Hadlock posted:

It can safely be assumed then that no margaritas were spilled on that trip, then

The club member who took the boat out did have Jimmy Buffet on the playlist.

But no margs for me. Diet.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Why did I become dumb and decide to build a boat

https://saltboatworks.com/product/flats-river-skiff-14/

Plans get here today :v:

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

Anyone else do this?

It's the way my club sails Snipes downwind, which don't have spinnakers under one-design rules. Helps to have a whisker pole.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

exe cummings posted:

It's the way my club sails Snipes downwind, which don't have spinnakers under one-design rules. Helps to have a whisker pole.

Very cool.

That boat in the rear should move to port a bit and block the air from the one there :-)

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I like boats, but don't have the time, place and desire to own, store and maintain one.

How much of a scam is something like this Boat club?

https://carefreeboats.com/

There are 5 locations within an hour drive of me. They don't have membership fees listed, and I'm sure there are a bunch of extra fees, and whatnot that are not mentioned when they tell you how much a membership is.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My fiancé’s older cousin and his dad have had a freedom boat club membership for close to a decade. Works for them. They split the fees (prolly $200/mo each) and go whenever they want and don’t have to know the first thing about boat maintenance. They probably average a dozen or two boat says a year. They get back and are filled up and stroke a check for gas used ($40 a day couple years ago, probably $50-60 now). Some clubs have time restrictions but that one appears not to.

It’s cheaper to buy a small old boat and keep it up yourself but I’m sure not dealing with maintenance is a delight.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's a good array of non profit sailing clubs around.

If you're in the bay area, you can't beat cal sailing club, I think it's like $90 per quarter and once you go through their training stuff you get access to not only the dinghy fleet, but also their 28 and 30 ft keelboats which you can reserve way way in advance

Generally, show up, if the guy running the place is not an old graybeard who hates everyone, run away. If the place is run by a crusty graybeard, it's probably alright. Graybeards do not hang around uptight places focused on things like profit.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I've wanted to try sailing for a while, but I figure I need some lessons first.
As far as this type of club, I like the idea of just showing up and getting in and going. Not having to worry about docking fees, or launching, towing, storage etc...
I'm pretty handy, and can fix stuff, but maybe the membership is worth it for not having to deal with all that poo poo. Best day of a boat owner's life and second best day and all that.

Though again I don't know what the fees are like. Maybe they're huge.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

posting to agree on nonprofit sailing clubs.

by your screen name I'm guessing you are in Chicago, I originally joined Sail Chicago for the exact same reasons and they have been great. lessons, both small boats and cruising boats to rent very cheaply, casual racing opportunities which is a lot of fun (hooray teamwork).

cost is $200/year and up to $75 total to rent a standard Colgate 26 for four hours. you can also pay a one-time fee of $100 and do Wednesday night races for free all season, crazy good deal.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Man_of_Teflon posted:

by your screen name I'm guessing you are in Chicago, I originally joined Sail Chicago for the exact same reasons and they have been great. lessons, both small boats and cruising boats to rent very cheaply, casual racing opportunities which is a lot of fun (hooray teamwork).

cost is $200/year and up to $75 total to rent a standard Colgate 26 for four hours. you can also pay a one-time fee of $100 and do Wednesday night races for free all season, crazy good deal.

Dude, I wish I had gotten into sailing before I left Chicago. Lake Michigan owns bones. If I visit, I'll have to see if you're available.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Hmm, I live in Chicagoland and am very interested in learning to sail. I will have to check this out now that the weather is improving.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You will learn more in four weeks of Wednesday night racing than two years of sailing lessons. I would jump on that opportunity. All sorts of crazy poo poo happens in the chaos of races you'll never see in a structured lesson environment.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Hadlock posted:

You will learn more in four weeks of Wednesday night racing than two years of sailing lessons. I would jump on that opportunity. All sorts of crazy poo poo happens in the chaos of races you'll never see in a structured lesson environment.

Racing will teach you so much and most folks need crew and are happy to have you onboard. Just don't expect to jump onto something high-performance off the bat, though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you're not on a viper 640 or vx one are you really sailing, though?
:getin:

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Hadlock posted:

this is very true, we took friends who had never been on a boat straight to racing a 40.7 and they did great ("there's this really cool position called bow, you'll love it!")

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Back on my bullshit and it feels so good!

Atlantic Yachting does practice sails every Wednesday after work. We fought our way up the Hudson a little ways, and then went upwind into the upper harbor where Manhattan Yacht Club was putting on a race. It was just me, the instructor, and the instructor's girlfriend, so we got to take out the nice J/80 instead of one of the J/24s.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Look out Puget Sound! Seattle Sailing Club says I can rent a sailboat whenever I want! :getin:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Decided to learn how to sail after spending a couple days on a boat this weekend. Have some good friends who know what they’re doing so I can crew on their boats and stuff, but will seek out independent instruction on their recommendations. I’ve got a club lined up to join which offers up the ASA101 class in various formats, but our sailing season ends in mid October. I could squeeze in the class, but Should I just hold off til next year? I feel like I won’t do much retention over the winter and would like to have the season to get dialed in a bit more.

If helpful information I am in Boston.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Up to you; it might suck trying to schedule ASA101 at the beginning of the season, but I understand what you mean about wanting to reinforce what you learned. On the other hand, everybody sucks at the beginning of the season.

I'm impulsive and I'd likely take the class as soon as I could schedule it, but I don't think it matters much either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Crewing in regattas is wildly better at teaching you everything that can add will go wrong, imo. I would try and crew in as many races as you can between now and when the season ends in... three weeks up there? And then in the spring take asa101 or whatever. You'll get a lot more out of your paid lessons and know what questions to ask, rather than spend all your time worrying about how to not fall off the boat