Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

LeeMajors posted:

I’ll likely have to send them back. The leader prespooled is a 4x and I just snagged a 6 pack of bass bugs with my order. Then I started reading a bit on leader selection and fly sizes and I was like OH I have no idea what I’m buying here.

I hope I can effectively bass fish our ponds on a 5wt setup eventually, but I’m not ready to switch out leaders yet considering I’ve never tied a nail knot.

I am anxious to see how big bluegills have gotten in our neighborhood ponds, and itll almost certainly float the small panfish poppers I’ve seen around, right? :ohdear:

I mean any small popper will be castable with a 4wt. I throw all kinds of different size poppers with my 3 wt Fiberglass rod. Does your fly line not have a loop on the end? Basically every fly line I have seen has that, that being said you can definitely cut that off if you want. Though I’m not really sure why you would do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LeeMajors posted:

I’ll likely have to send them back. The leader prespooled is a 4x and I just snagged a 6 pack of bass bugs with my order. Then I started reading a bit on leader selection and fly sizes and I was like OH I have no idea what I’m buying here.

I hope I can effectively bass fish our ponds on a 5wt setup eventually, but I’m not ready to switch out leaders yet considering I’ve never tied a nail knot.

I am anxious to see how big bluegills have gotten in our neighborhood ponds, and itll almost certainly float the small panfish poppers I’ve seen around, right? :ohdear:
First off, I’ve been fly fishing for 12 years and have never tied a nail knot. I either just do a simple loop connection if both are prelooped or just a simple overhand knot if not. Not really a big deal.

Also, bluegills love bead-headed nymphs under an indicator. Just cast out, let the nymph sink for 15-30 seconds, and then give a quick jerk pulling in 3 feet of line. Repeat. If there are bluegill present you will catch them.

I’ve also caught a ton of bluegill by tying a dropper nymph off the back of a bass popper. But I’d stick to a single fly while you’re just starting out.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Valt posted:

I mean any small popper will be castable with a 4wt. I throw all kinds of different size poppers with my 3 wt Fiberglass rod. Does your fly line not have a loop on the end? Basically every fly line I have seen has that, that being said you can definitely cut that off if you want. Though I’m not really sure why you would do that.
I’ve definitely bought bass poppers that were uncastable with a 4-wt.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Maybe I’m misunderstanding but I’ve been watching lots of videos in my covid isolation about leader thickness and fly size and it was saying you divide the fly size by a 3 or 4 for a range of appropriate leader diameter and it looks like the poppers I ordered are a size 6? So a 4x leader would be too thin and cast weird?

I’ve obviously got a lot to learn but I’m up for it. I just wasn’t game for changing out leader just yet.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LeeMajors posted:

Maybe I’m misunderstanding but I’ve been watching lots of videos in my covid isolation about leader thickness and fly size and it was saying you divide the fly size by a 3 or 4 for a range of appropriate leader diameter and it looks like the poppers I ordered are a size 6? So a 4x leader would be too thin and cast weird?

I’ve obviously got a lot to learn but I’m up for it. I just wasn’t game for changing out leader just yet.
For warm water it doesn’t matter. Just put on 4X leader and tippet and don’t think about it too much.

Your line weight matter in that it limits the maximum size of fly you can use. Bigger poppers will require a bigger rod and heavier line but you can find poppers that work on a 4wt. Your local fly shop would be the best place to find them.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dik Hz posted:

For warm water it doesn’t matter. Just put on 4X leader and tippet and don’t think about it too much.

Your line weight matter in that it limits the maximum size of fly you can use. Bigger poppers will require a bigger rod and heavier line but you can find poppers that work on a 4wt. Your local fly shop would be the best place to find them.

I gotcha. My reel is prespooled with 5-6wt floating fly line and a 4x leader. I'll see if those will work when I get them I guess. Either way, I'm sure I can find something that works without going too crazy.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

BTW random pro tip since knots were mentioned. You should get some paracord, or some mono, and practice the following knots:

- clinch knot (not improved). This will be your go-to for attaching most flies to tippet or mono to a tippet ring. If you’re in a hurry, you can use hemostats to tie the knot very quickly. But you should know how to tie it by hand as well. With practice you can be very quick and produce very little waste.

- surgeon’s knot. For leader to tippet.

- non-skip loop knot. For streamers and anything you want to give motion to. It’s basically a clinch knot tie against an overhand knot in the tippet, rather than directly onto the fly.

Other knots that are useful to know but not mission critical for when you’re out on the water:

- blood knot. A cleaner/stronger knot for mono-to-mono than a surgeon’s. I use this almost exclusively for repairing leaders or attaching euro leader to euro line.

- nail knot. For line to leader when not using loop-to-loop (but you should use loop-to-loop). Use a nail-knot tool. I almost never have to tie this knot.

I just occasionally grab some mono/line/paracord and practice these. It’s also a decent way to kill time when camping.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

I use uniknots for almost everything. Occasional blood knot for making my own leaders, but that’s it. I could probably even use uni-double-uni for that.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Hey fishing thread, I just learned that squidding was a thing in Puget Sound and started reading about it. I'm curious to try it next year maybe. What's the best way to kill a squid? I don't think any of the articles I've read mention that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Safety Dance posted:

Hey fishing thread, I just learned that squidding was a thing in Puget Sound and started reading about it. I'm curious to try it next year maybe. What's the best way to kill a squid? I don't think any of the articles I've read mention that.

Uh just cut its head off. Right behind the eyes. Then cut right in front of the eyes to get the tentacles to eat. When you make that cut the beak should pop off easy. The reports haven’t been too good of late but they never leave the area completely.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Safety Dance posted:

You have a couple of options. I find cutting off the head often leaves both haves of the squid alive so I don’t tend to do that. It’s also likely to puncture the ink sac and you’ll get black poo poo everywhere.

Easiest way is a karate chop to the back of the head. Another way is iki jime: https://www.ikijime.com/fish/southern-calamari/

You can also just chuck them in an esky full of icy water.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

These squid are pretty small like the body is 6 inches for a “monster”. Generally people catch them then shake them off into a bucket with a wire basket in it. Every now and then you lift the basket and pour out and refill the bucket.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I tried ice spearfishing this weekend, with an excitingly large hole in the water which you dangle a decoy through to lure pike in with before forking them. We took a two footer and got a glancing blow on one of the bigger carp I've seen, saw lots of bass too, should have brought a rod. Pics next time, has anyone else tried it?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Glasses-wearers, what if anything do y'all wear to cut glare while you're out?

Assume prescription sunglasses aren't an option for now :sigh:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I like costas. Watch YouTube clips to get the right size for your face/head.

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
I've been fishing probably 10 - 20 times in the past but have always borrowed mates rods. I've recently purchased a first fishing rod as I want to get into it more - can anyone help?

I purchased a basic Daiwa 702 with a RX LT2500 rod + reel spinning combo. The young guy at the shop put 10lb maxima green mono on for me - about 150m. The problem is the line is curly as all hell. Now I am not certain he put it on wrong - I don't remember it being curly when I first looked at it. After 2 - 3 casts however it was crap for the rest of the day. I have taken a bit of line off the rod, probably 20 - 30m however it still is all curled.

The rod says cast weight 2 - 10g Line 2 - 3 kg.
The reel is rated:

6lb - (20mm) 150m / 160yd
8lb - (0.23mm) 100m / 110yd
Braid #0.810 1.0mm) 200m.

Has the young guy at the shop (on a machine) put an extra 50m of a 10lb line on a reel which should only 100m of 8lb? Which is causing it to curl ridiculously and not wind back on the wheel correctly (loose, tangles etc)? That's what is happening.

I've done a bit of research online, it could be:

The line is old - nope, brand new
The line has too much memory - brand new, seemed to get OK reviews looking online nothing really mentioning curling issues
The drag is too low - I have a very basic understanding of drag
Heavy line with a light lure - using prawns / shrimp as bait with a carolina / running sinker rig
The bail is not in the proper position - is this to do with me, or when he put it on at the shop? All I know is flick bail up > cast, hits the floor > flick bail down.

Totally open to it be using error on my part. I still managed to catch a few fish, so at least my knots are correct. Bit of a wank, but next time I need new line I am thinking 8lb braid - does that ring any alarm bells?

go_banana fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 27, 2022

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
It sounds like it might have too much line on it, and also the guy at the shop may have spooled it backwards for you. Was this a dedicated fishing store or a big box sports store? If the latter then yeah it sounds like maybe he over-spooled it, possibly backwards. The line has it's own memory from the original spool it was on. If you try to spool it onto your new reel in the opposite direction it's going to fight that, by tangling itself all the time.

To tell if you've got too much line on, look at the sidewalls of the spool. You should be able to see a tiny bit, maybe 1/16-1/8 inch of the side of the spool sitting above your line. If your line is bulging over the sides of the spool you've got too much. As for possibly being spooled backwards, I'm sure somebody here has a clever solution but I'd probably just unspool it directly into the trash and buy a new 150 yd spool of 8lb mono, or splurge on some ~20lb braid, and watch a youtube video on how to spool new line on a spinning reel.

edit: 8lb braid would work too but that spool will hold a lot of it, and there's downsides to having an underfilled spool as well.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Instagram knows I’m thinking about fishing again and starts serving me ads for…

Hooks for snagging paddlefish :fuckoff: with that poo poo

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Sounds like too much line to me. 150m of mono sounds like a lot for a 2500 size spinning reel. I've overspooled reels with mono before and rather than casting it was more like throwing loops of line which then immediately knotted up.

I'd be surprised if it was spooled backwards: the line wasn't prespooled, so it's not going to have that memory and it's also not likely to be the bottom of the barrel for quality mono line. I think that the dude at the shop tried to do you a favor by completely filling the reel capacity. Also, unless I'm completely misunderstanding, the reel is only going to crank in one direction. Free spin wouldn't take line very well or very tight. Pics would help the diagnosis.

Strip off some of that line and try again before you start completely over. That said, if you enjoy fishing and want to do it often, being able to spool up your reel with fresh line is a good skill to have. The only tool that you need is a pencil, but there are other inexpensive spooling tools that make it a lot easier.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Sounds like too much line to me. 150m of mono sounds like a lot for a 2500 size spinning reel. I've overspooled reels with mono before and rather than casting it was more like throwing loops of line which then immediately knotted up.

I'd be surprised if it was spooled backwards: the line wasn't prespooled, so it's not going to have that memory and it's also not likely to be the bottom of the barrel for quality mono line. I think that the dude at the shop tried to do you a favor by completely filling the reel capacity. Also, unless I'm completely misunderstanding, the reel is only going to crank in one direction. Free spin wouldn't take line very well or very tight. Pics would help the diagnosis.

Strip off some of that line and try again before you start completely over. That said, if you enjoy fishing and want to do it often, being able to spool up your reel with fresh line is a good skill to have. The only tool that you need is a pencil, but there are other inexpensive spooling tools that make it a lot easier.
Look at this fancy man and his pencil. I just let the spool of line dance around on the floor as I crank away and curse whenever it gets too far away from me.

Car Hater posted:

I tried ice spearfishing this weekend, with an excitingly large hole in the water which you dangle a decoy through to lure pike in with before forking them. We took a two footer and got a glancing blow on one of the bigger carp I've seen, saw lots of bass too, should have brought a rod. Pics next time, has anyone else tried it?
If you make a bigger hole, you might be able to put the boat in too.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Reposting to make sure you all know it is this weekend:

KOBOLDS WORKSHOP ICE CLASSIC GOONFISH 2022 (1/29-1/30/2022) Lake Minnetonka, MN

Continuing to promote the upcoming goonfish, we will be meeting on Excelsior Bay starting at 9 AM and going until like 3 or so. Drop in whenever, leave whenever. I have augers, rods and a heated ice tent. You just need to dress warm and have a fishing license (MN sells 2-day ones if you are only fishing the once). Also, please be vaccinated.

Park here and walk northeast until you are on the water and see goons (You'll know us when you see us).
https://www.ci.excelsior.mn.us/181/For-Visitors-Customers

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
The rod was from a local speciality store, not a big box. I took another 10m or so of line off (now probably 100m left on the reel) and I can see 1/8 inch of the reel now. I've now rigged up a running sinker and casted a few times in the backyard and it has got rid of 90% of the curling. I think it must be spooled on properly, he must have put way too much on of a heavier line. I'll keep using for now, and save braid for when I need new line. Appreciate the advice - will be lurking and back with questions for sure.

go_banana fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 28, 2022

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

crazypeltast52 posted:

Continuing to promote the upcoming goonfish, we will be meeting on Excelsior Bay starting at 9 AM and going until like 3 or so. Drop in whenever, leave whenever. I have augers, rods and a heated ice tent. You just need to dress warm and have a fishing license (MN sells 2-day ones if you are only fishing the once). Also, please be vaccinated.

Park here and walk northeast until you are on the water and see goons (You'll know us when you see us).

Checking in to say I will be at Goonfish this weekend. If I get murdered or fall into the lake and drown somehow, it was good knowing some of you.

Watch me not be able to find the group and wind up walking around asking random fishermen if they have stairs in their house or something equally stupid.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 28, 2022

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

crazypeltast52 posted:

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend this one. Good luck, snap some pics of the big fish eh?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I need bib for cold weather. I live in a place that gets cold, windy, but not necessarily frozen.

Give me your opinions.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just spooled two spinning reels ALL BY MYSELF :smug:

(it's the first time I've ever spooled a reel myself instead of having a guy at a store do it)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Speaking of reels, what do y'all consider to be a good beginner casting reel for bass fishing?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I. M. Gei posted:

Speaking of reels, what do y'all consider to be a good beginner casting reel for bass fishing?

It was recommended to me here but the Abu Garcia Black Max combo has been pretty great. Got a ton of use out of it last year.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

Its really hard to beat kastking on the price. Its a basic bait caster with basic braking. Black max isn't bad either.

https://www.amazon.com/KastKing-Roy...s%2C105&sr=8-18

If you don't mind spending 80-100, the shimano slx and caius are really hard to beat for the money. You really get what you pay for with shimano, every $ spent is something performing better and/or lasting longer. I have had many people new to fishing throw my slx's and have a great time.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shimano_Casting_Reels/catpage-RLCSHIMANO.html

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Got 'em

This was the biggest, I caught like 6 total. Still a ton of fun and we'll try again tomorrow.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I'm always happy to catch a perch no matter the size, congratulations.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
They are nice looking fish. I've got a few perch-colored crankbaits that have never been fished, I just think they look pretty.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

I. M. Gei posted:

I'm partial to the Shimano SLX MGL, particularly if you want to be able to cast lighter lures. I've got a bunch of nice reels but that one stands out as being a good all-arounder, and a good value.

FYI if anybody is looking for a gently-used, left-hand SLX DC reel I'll sell it for $125 shipped in the US. PM for more info.

edit: also FYI Shimano is implementing a price increase on February 1. It's fairly modest (like $10-20 on rods and reels), and not every single line is affected (I don't think SLX is).

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sounds like I need to look into an SLX then. Thanks for the recs!

I'd like to try saltwater/deep-sea fishing sometime this year. What should I look for in a rod/reel for either of those?

Also crabbing. Is crabbing a thing regular rear end people can do, and how do I do it? I fuckin love me some crab, but I do not love me some paying out the rear end for it at the store.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I. M. Gei posted:

Sounds like I need to look into an SLX then. Thanks for the recs!

I'd like to try saltwater/deep-sea fishing sometime this year. What should I look for in a rod/reel for either of those?

Also crabbing. Is crabbing a thing regular rear end people can do, and how do I do it? I fuckin love me some crab, but I do not love me some paying out the rear end for it at the store.

HI!!!!!

So like were do you live first?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Crab Dad posted:

HI!!!!!

So like were do you live first?

Texas. The Gulf Coast is a few hours' drive from me. Not exactly short, but close enough that I can make it a day trip, if not a weekend one.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

I. M. Gei posted:

imo

If you're casting lures get a nice graphite rod and a decent reel. $400 would get you a very nice combo.

If you're bottom bouncing with bait save your money and get a cheap glass rod (heavier line rating the deeper you're fishing) and a metal body fish winch like a Penn Spinfisher.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I. M. Gei posted:

Texas. The Gulf Coast is a few hours' drive from me. Not exactly short, but close enough that I can make it a day trip, if not a weekend one.

That's a blue crab fishery. Looks like it's regulated to fall so you plenty of time to study up. Very easy crab to catch since they are very aggressive but also pretty drat quick and snippy. Personally i feel they are a pain in the rear end to deal with since they are kinda small but people love to eat them.
Gear can be as simple as a chicken leg tied to a string or some meat in a small nylon pouch. Or a pyramid trap. I just did it for fun when I was in Pensacola and never cooked what I caught. Just tossed the back.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What about soft-shells? I wanna catch soft-shells but that's before Fall isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

What about soft-shells? I wanna catch soft-shells but that's before Fall isn't it?

Texas is a huge fan of doing nothing about commercial fishing (which is 99% of the harvest) but limiting seasons for the rest of us. So probably not.