Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Speaking of the mop fly, we were talking about that in the fly tying and tacklecraft thread a couple of weeks ago: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899268&pagenumber=7

Catching fish rules and pissing off fly fishing snobs also rules, so long live the mop fly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I like fly fishing even if I suck at it. Nothing better than getting into a river with ice still on it up to your waist (w waders of course). That said, with a few exceptions it's usually been a bit snobby in situations when I interact with other fly fishermen. Not as bad as some other hobbies I've been into, but still there.

Normal fishing on the other hand has been loving sweet. Everybody is chill, anytime someone passes me they ask what I've caught and on what, and it's diverse even in/around Denver. I've had a spin rod for a few months now and I've made way more friends than I did fly fishing, and man it's fun just going to a lake near your house with a six pack, meeting some friends, and wasting the evening catching bass and chatting with each other. I've got a couple of my other friends into it and they're loving it as well. A+++ would fish again.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

DeesGrandpa posted:

I like fly fishing even if I suck at it. Nothing better than getting into a river with ice still on it up to your waist (w waders of course). That said, with a few exceptions it's usually been a bit snobby in situations when I interact with other fly fishermen.

I think this is three things: the people who grew up with it being annoyed at newbies high-holing them or otherwise being clueless on the river; a lot of folks who took it up in the past decade exemplifying the phrase, “there’s no zealot like a convert”; and some of whatever it is that also exists in the MTB community — this awkward, alpha “let’s go be nature af!” vibe. I’ve been trying to put my finger on the last one for a while now.

That said. Things that I will yell at people for, or at least not be friendly:

- High-holing me.
- Crowding me. “Crowding” is dependent on whether you’re talking about Deckers or the secret place I know about that hasn’t been blown up yet I don’t have a secret place :negative:
- Jumping in on water across from me
- Being a guide and running your boat through water I’m fishing
- Being a tuber and running your tube through water I’m fishing

Things that are cool and good:

- Asking “what’s working?” or “what are you fishing?”
- Responding with, “Idunno. One of these little green things” when I ask what you’re fishing.
- Asking me about some of the spots around where we are standing.
- Just generally being friendly on the water.

I’ve rigged up I don’t know how many people’s rods. It’s great to watch them absolutely floored when you give them a few flies. I absolutely love hooking people up, especially if I’ve tied it.

This reminds me, I need to get out and do some fishing.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

God deckers is always such a shitshow, even on weekdays. No desire to go there again.

On the MTB front, I've actually never run into that. I know it exists but I'm not the strongest climber (or poo poo if we're being honest I'm not super strong in any aspect of MTB, but I love it) and I've never got anything but encouragement and good vibes from other mountain bikers. That community has been among the most helpful and chill of any I've ever been a part of.

Fly fishing related: My favorite fly fishing snob moment was my friend and I getting set up off the bed of my truck, my buddy is talking about putting on his "strike indicator" and made the mistake of calling it a bobber. A guy walking by said "Hey! If you call it a bobber everybody will know you're a loving idiot". This was at deckers actually now that I think about it.

e: yeah high holing and crowding is a legit issue in CO, but I've not seen anyone who is immune to it. We try to stay as distance as we can even if it means going to shittier waters, but yeah in deckers idk if it can be avoided.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Christ what an rear end in a top hat

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Oh poo poo a fishing thread.
I hardly ever fish anymore because most of my free time is taking up with being a dad now and also I'm a fish biologist so I see a loving lot of fish in the field and the lab.
Anyhow I did a bunch of urban fishing this spring and it was real good.
Can I get an invite to the discord?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

https://discord.gg/qq9akx Tell us your secrets

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Oh poo poo a fishing thread.
I hardly ever fish anymore because most of my free time is taking up with being a dad now and also I'm a fish biologist so I see a loving lot of fish in the field and the lab.
Can I get an invite to the discord?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I'm getting on the mopfly bandwagon. I'm going to tie the most ridiculous flies I can with this poo poo.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Yooper posted:

I'm getting on the mopfly bandwagon. I'm going to tie the most ridiculous flies I can with this poo poo.

I'm glad you put some balls on it :newlol:

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

welcome fellow downtown fisher

you havent lived until you have pulled a 30 inch striper out of the water as a group of teenagers trying to enjoy their waterfront lunch stare in horror

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

Time posted:

welcome fellow downtown fisher

you havent lived until you have pulled a 30 inch striper out of the water as a group of teenagers trying to enjoy their waterfront lunch stare in horror

Pulling catfish out of the Schuylkill river in the middle of Philadelphia while standing 6 feet away from people stuck in their cars in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic is one of the greatest feelings ever.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Is it true that Philadelphia catfish will whip a D battery at your head once you get them near shore?

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

The river actually has a jail and small courtroom to allow prompt legal proceedings for philly fish

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Is it true that Philadelphia catfish will whip a D battery at your head once you get them near shore?
Better than the Chicago catfish and their bricks.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Can anyone recommended a good digital scale that would be easy to carry in the top pocket of a backpack? Durability, accuracy and minimal battery drain while off are the 3 biggest things I care about. A clip instead of a hook is a would be nice.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Elmnt80 posted:

Can anyone recommended a good digital scale that would be easy to carry in the top pocket of a backpack? Durability, accuracy and minimal battery drain while off are the 3 biggest things I care about. A clip instead of a hook is a would be nice.

Kobolds posted this one in the discord

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Lol, those reviews do not inspire confidence. "Works good, would buy, 1 star!"

I'm not opposed to spending money to get something that lasts for a while and has consistent results. Experience in the automotive field has taught me that $10 ebay specials ain't it and it would take a strong recommendation from someone that has owned one for a while to make me change that perception.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

Lol, those reviews do not inspire confidence. "Works good, would buy, 1 star!"

I'm not opposed to spending money to get something that lasts for a while and has consistent results. Experience in the automotive field has taught me that $10 ebay specials ain't it and it would take a strong recommendation from someone that has owned one for a while to make me change that perception.

I have a similar one and it's fine, but it's not a precision instrument. It's not going to be great for live fish and it's not tournament grade, but after I gut a fish sometimes I'll hang it by the gills or the lip to weigh it out of curiosity. It hasn't exploded or fallen apart in my hands, but it's a pretty light duty tool. Not for hardcore bassin'.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Gonna try to make it out tomorrow and see what's it like pre hurricane

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Supposedly pre hurricane is good fishin. I mean you have that incoming rain and low pressure drop that makes fish go batshit feeding.

Edit: This may be the most florida thing I've ever written.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Elmnt80 posted:

Supposedly pre hurricane is good fishin. I mean you have that incoming rain and low pressure drop that makes fish go batshit feeding.

Is it pressure going down that's the good pressure?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

At least for bass if I recall correctly. Usually a high pressure system will shut fishing down for a while and the pressure drop you get before a storm will help to trigger their feeding instincts.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Elmnt80 posted:

Hope so, it's been awful lately. The water is like a bathtub and there's too much rain. Crap for fishing and great for hurricanes.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I basically haven't been out this summer since I'm trying to conserve cash and I just flat out don't want to deal with the heat. I've either gotta be up at like 6am or take half a dozen water bottles with me because I will 100% sweat it all out in 4 hours out there.

And of course the whole summer rain every day thing making it so the water is cloudy as heck.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Just found a tackle box on my USNS ship with about 1k in gear. Tons of jigs, wire and gently caress off big hooks. Can’t wait to start using it.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Goon friends! I can't fish anymore unless I want to not be able to use my arms for a week after, so 3 years ago I switched to feeding the fish in the pond by me. So far as I can tell it's just Bullheads and Bluegill but after a few hundreds pounds of extra food they are numerous and quite a few are now at decent sizes instead of it being a pond full of tiny stunted fish. Watching people fish it now the process seems to go: toss in your line, wait 15-30 seconds for the bite, and reel in a fish. They've been trained to hit at pretty much anything since I feed food that floats and food that sinks.

So if you're near Northwest Indiana and looking for some easy catch and release action here's the location. If you do hit it up feel free to PM me and I'll let you use my bathroom if need be and probably offer you alcohol:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

King of Bees posted:

Gonna try to make it out tomorrow and see what's it like pre hurricane

My experience with hurricane fishing after Florence and Dorian is that the beach fishing is absolutely epic after the hurricanes. I think it has to do with desalinizing the intracoastal waterways and estuaries. Plus the 'canes carve up some good beach structure.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
It was bust today. A few dinks and catfish. Will try again Tuesday after the storm has blown by.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Caught 3 hogs today and 7 or 8 dinks. First good one was on the whopper plopper and everything else was on ol reliable ned.

Also lost a lot of ned rigs to the depths. I saw this video of a guy Texas rigging them and sticking a weight in the end, I need to try that

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

In honor of this modern day Socrates that apok discovered on fishbrain, I give you your new thread title.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
But ripping lips is loving lame?

Dik Hz posted:

Someone in the discord (Come join us! https://discord.gg/hJQ3KE ) asked me to do an effort post on how to spot rip currents.

I know about rips well from swimming but this is a great post, I've never shore fished like that

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I mean yes, in reality you don't want to injure a fish but its also a joke?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Sorry boss, the joke sucks

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Trip Report.

Brought the mopfly to a blue ribbon trout stream. No other anglers unfortunately to witness my success. 2nd cast caught a brook trout. Bugs were bonkers so I cut it short.

Day 2, took kayak to a stocked rainbow lake and caught nothing. Was a nice paddle though, perfect weather. Saw another dude fishing who caught some undersized fish earlier. Then went to a large bog lake with brookies, and no luck. Last lake of the day was a trout rearing lake and oddly enough caught perch on a Panther Martin in a designated trout lake. That night picked up some smallies off the dock, it was about a 50% success rate. Even my wife came a landed a few. Was just after sun down and the bass were everywhere.

I think the trout are mostly dormant right now, water is really warm. Ideally I'd use minnows but these lakes are artificial lures only. I tried a gulp minnow at the thermocline with no success. Maybe in a month or so it'll be better.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Sorry boss, the joke sucks

I do suck at jokes so this tracks. I'll take suggestions on a new title tho!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Elmnt80 posted:

I do suck at jokes so this tracks. I'll take suggestions on a new title tho!

Talking about our dinks

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Thread title rocks. If you’re not ripping spliffs and stabbing lips you’re not really fishing, I will not budge on this

Even sipping drinks and catching dinks is alright

Jump King fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 2, 2020

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
I got stuck on a surprise on-call shift this weekend and could not go fishing. I am very angry about it. That's the whole post.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Title is good, settle down beavis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Y’all are missing out on a perfectly good trolling joke.