Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
There's an entire BWCA forum I can go ask about this on, but I like my goon opinions too in case anyone is familiar.

Doing our annual Minnesota Boundary Waters (BWCA) trip in the fall this year since we thought COVID would be better by then compared to end of May. Went in October once six years ago and caught zero fish but that was really our first foray into fishing as adults. Even in the summer, we've really only caught a fair number of fish on one trip.

We're thinking of either 9/17 or 9/24. A week difference wouldn't change anything right? Catching walleye to eat is always the goal, but catching anything is better than nothing. Anyone know if lake trout are easier at that time? We haven't tried those before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

You're best off bringing a spoon and flinging it along weed lines for pike and smallmouth.

But if you want to catch walleye in the BWCA, your best bet is on larger lakes at the points were smaller lakes flow into them. There will be a bit of rapids and then a deep spot past that where the water looks slack. That's your spot. Use live minnows or leeches primarily.

I have no idea how to find lakers in the BWCA, but I would imagine it involves a fish-finder and some deep water.

Good luck!

The time we were catching them that's what we we're doing. We'd cast into where the water was moving and the bobber would float through this deeper trench and at the end when the line would go taught, there was a good chance a walleye was on. We knew it was a trench because every 4th cast we'd catch bottom. Needed to be quite precise.

Know what the preferred bait is in September? We've used leeches most of the time since I don't know what keeping minnows alive is like.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Anyone have a canoe rod holder recommendation for trolling for walleye?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Where should I shop for tackle? There's a Dick's nearby but Cabela's isn't. Are Amazon prices good? I've heard of Tackle Warehouse too. Best price would be great so I don't feel AS stupid casting into a tree.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
It would be nice to do one larger order online. Want to get equipped for a Boundary Waters canoe trip at the end of September. Big order was to hit any shipping thresholds there might be at any smaller sites, but if it's just Amazon or going into Walmart or Dick's, then I guess I can do that. Honestly I get overwhelmed or lost trying to search for specific things that they might not even have there.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I'll check out Dick's online first then. Any good fishing apps to recommend? Trying to decide what our route for Boundary Waters will be and camping by some good spots would be nice.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Do tube baits need a specific jig head to work or can I just use some of the round ones I have?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

crazypeltast52 posted:

Here it is, it bit me too as I took out the hook (grab pliers first kids!), so it has tasted human blood, but I am not a were-muskie. That I know of at least... Hopefully this one hasn't developed a taste for human, there are beaches on that lake.

Caught it casting from shore at a city lake in Minneapolis. It looks like the DNR puts about 200 fingerlings every other year so this one has been hanging out for a bit.

There are dick spooners this close to me?! Lake Harriet? We would walk down and catch easy bass by the bandshell. Just moved a bit west though so need to find a new local lake.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Has anyone fished Lake Vermilion in Minnesota? We're going up next weekend four walleye. We'll be on the west side if you have any tips. It sounds like jig and minnow are the best bet for walleye right now.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

Yeah it's all about the jig and minnow on the fishing opener. I haven't fished Vermilion or anything up that way except Lake of the Woods. The weather looks good so it'll probably be nuts. I like to look shallow for warmer water and feeding walleyes, but it's such a crap shoot that all I can really say is "Good Luck!"

I've heard long shallow flats like 10-12 feet. We'll try bass and pike if we need to.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I have a hard time fundamentally understanding fishing the bottom of the lake. It seems like we all get stuck all the time. Trying to bounce a jig just doesn't make sense when any bounce could be down into some rocks. Same goes for trolling. Depth changes all the time so it hits bottom or when we are up in the wilderness there are downed trees everywhere. Anyone have some wisdom?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Anyone around Minneapolis have a good shore fishing spot? It will be catch and release so don't worry, they'll still be there. I also probably don't know what I'm doing to catch enough. Bass or pike I suppose unless there's a walleye shore spot somewhere.

I'll share that the docks near the band shell at Lake Harriet is pretty easy to catch bass. Just using a wacky rig and we'll catch 5 or so in an hour.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

crazypeltast52 posted:

Check my posts and you’ll see my Nokomis muskie, the lobe west of the Cedar bridge is where I caught that.

Edit: It has tasted blood and hit a dicklure, so don’t wade in nude.

Is there a pier or just straight shoreline?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

How far are you willing to drive? There is some phenomonal trout fishing just across the border into Wisconsin around River Falls. A fly rod or a light spinning rod would do well.

I know a lot of people fish from shore on the East River Flats Park in the Mississippi River at the University of Minnesota. It's also a gay hook-up spot if you're into that.

Anything more specific about where around River Falls? What sort of tackle should we have on a spinning rod?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

Kinnickinnick below River falls. The Brookie streams east of town are fun, but really tiny. Only a couple pools you can hit with a spinning rod.

Small Mepps spoon 1.5", silver

So that's over in the Kinnickinnic state park?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I have a spinning reel with mono on first which is tied to braid using a double uni knot. It's probably about half and half. Now after a few outings my cast will stop because the line is catching the snipped part of the uni knot. It's not because all the braid is going out, but because the knot has wormed it's way from deeper in the spool out to where it catches. I've trimmed the excess as much as I can and I've tried to cram the knot deeper, but it always resurfaces soon after.

Do I just unspool all the line and then reel it back up and hope it stays deeper?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I was trying to be economical so that's why I did it, but now that it's caused a headache it's not worth it. If I chuck the mono I'd have to chuck the braid since it's probably too short to be the only line on there.

I'll look at the FG knot for now.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Easychair Bootson posted:

If you have so little braid that you're getting into your mono backing on a cast (or when a fish is pulling drag) you have way too little braid (and probably too much backing).

I tie braid straight to the spool with no backing or tape. This video shows you how to do it: an arbor knot followed by a series of half hitches. This prevents you from getting down to the backing (because there is none), and if you want to repurpose that braid down the road (by putting it on another reel, for example), you have a longer stretch of braid to make use of.

FG knot is great and I use it a lot for leaders but a well-tied double uni should do fine on spinning gear. I know a lot of people use an Alberto knot for leaders with good results. Try using a small dab of super glue to keep your knots and tag ends intact.

Yeah I mentioned that I'm not really getting to the knot on the cast, the knot has just maneuvered it's way up to the surface. I'd still have to pull out what looks like a large amount of line to actually see that mono-braid knot make its way up the rod.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I got two 110 whopper ploppers to take into the Boundary Waters tomorrow. I'm wondering if I should use a fluoro or wire leader or maybe nothing at all? I have a 8# fluoro leader tied to 10# braid right now. We usually just fish for walleye so the line is setup to do that, but I'd like to give these a shot. Mainly I just don't want a pike to bite it off immediately. If a huge one gets on and then the line snaps, while that would suck, it would at least be an honorable death for the lure.

We've never been up there in August. Should we get leeches for walleye or is it crawler time? Any other August advice?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I live in Minnesota but have never ice fished. My friend is getting a shelter though so I need a rod. Any go to basic recommendation?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Hekk posted:

Honestly? I have 150 dollar ice fishing rods and I have the 25 dollar combo dealies. The expensive rods don’t catch more fish. You are just dropping a line into a hole in the ice right in front of you. Just pick up a couple of THESE (you can have 2 lines in the water while ice fishing) and spend your money on better line and some tackle.

I don't even know what tackle is used. Thanks for the link.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Hekk posted:

https://1source.basspro.com/news-tips/ice-fishing/7600/perch-ice-fishing-tips-and-strategies

Honestly though, if your buddy has a shelter, just ask them. The important question has already been asked though. What type of beer will you bring? Since actually catching lots of fish is usually secondary to using ice fishing as an excuse to get outside during winter and do some day drinking.

He is getting it soon so not sure if he knows much. I assume we'll be going for walleye and pike? Didn't know perch were a common target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Hekk posted:

Do you know what part of the state you plan to fish in? We did a goon ice fish meet at Lake Minnetonka a couple of years ago. I fished the whole weekend and caught half a dozen small perch and a dozen or so cold beers.

Good point, we live around there and I don't know how portable this thing will be so that's probably where it would be.