Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Beet Wagon posted:

:siren:A Note on Suspensions and Mounting Points!:siren:
Please, please, please if you're ever going to hang a hammock, make sure you're hanging from somewhere that can support you. Hammocks actually put a significant lateral load on the things they're strapped to, which can be dangerous. People have been killed as a result of attempting to hang a hammock from something that then collapsed on them, and you should try to not be one of them! Hang from trees or from mounting points that you can guarantee will not pull something heavy down on to your dome.

Couple additional comments on this.

Not only should you ensure that whatever you are hanging from isn't going to collapse on you, but that you eye the trees to make sure you don't hang below a big dead branch which might come crashing down on your rear end in the middle of the night if the wind blows a bit.

Also, make sure to use some sort of tree hugger since ropes will dig into the bark and damage the tree. I use some cargo straps (rated at several hundred kg load, cheap as hell at the car parts store) that I cut off and use with a "toggle" (in my case a cut off piece of copper pipe) to hang the hammock suspension from.

Here's my standard setup:

Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip, with a Snugpak underblanket (used a DD for a while but this hammock is pretty wide so you had to get it exactly right to avoid chills, the Snugpak is a fair bit wider) and top quilt. Using the tarp that came with it, and have found it sufficient even in pretty lousy weather. When it blows and rains a fair bit you have to try and get the tarp tucked in as close to the hammock as you can without it actually touching (since then water will wick through rapidly, something I learned one night at 3am).

I also have a couple of other setups but this is the main one. Though the little Exped gets used a lot for day trips, made some whoopie slings for it so the entire setup is super practical and light. Can throw it up in about a minute and get some good hang time when taking a break. If you haven't tried whoopie slings give them a go. Fun little project and you'll be amazed at how useful they are!

I camp in Sweden so there's virtually no scenario where I can not use some form of insulation. I envy the guys who can go without underblankets since it saves a bunch of space and weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Just remembered this morning that I had a piece of hammock gear sitting around this morning that I'd completely forgotten about for years. Bought a used Gamma UL (from hammocktent.com) and tried it out, but at that time I had an Exped Synmat UL 5 and the entire setup felt a bit too narrow and flimsy for me. I now have a Synmat 7 LW as well (which is 200x60cm) so got the hammock out of storage and set it up. Yup, quite a bit better.

Upside is you sleep very flat and it's really relaxing swinging slowly back and forth. And it's insanely light (I think around 500 grams).

Downside is that it's a bit weird getting in and out of, and even though I am only 5'10" it feels barely long enough. And you need a pretty big or special purpose tarp for it. The suspension system (tree huggers with dyneema/amsteel? attached) using descender rings is a bit fiddly. I think using the long cargo straps I have (which should fit the descender rings nicely) will be quicker and easier.

Will probably bring it on my next overnight trip instead of the Hennessy Expedition though, just to try it out.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Deeters posted:

I want to get some sort of support so I can hang a hammock without trees if I go camping on my motorcycle. It would need to be compact enough to fit in a backpack or saddlebags. Something like this Tensa Solo set up seems like what I'm imagining, but $90 for one pole feels really steep. Any of you have better suggestions?

Have you considered just going to ground instead? Depends on what gear you are using, but you could setup e.g. a Hennessy pretty easily that way--anchor one end of the suspension to the ground and then maybe tie the other into your motorcycle (not to put weight on but just suspend the tarp basically, making a sort of hammock-bivy). If you're using an underblanket you could keep a soda can sized Exped UL 5 or similar in your pack for sleeping on when you're on the ground.

Just a thought, I personally would not want to gently caress around with getting those Solo poles anchored well enough to hang from. Seems way too fiddly and reliant on good soil to anchor the stuff to.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Not sure what kind of tarp you have, but if it's silnylon and gets a little slack when wet you can tie in some shock cord into the guy lines and have it self tension a bit.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Anyone have a Warbonnet Diamondback TQ? I think if they run a Black Friday sale I am going to finally buy one.

It'll be expensive but all of the stuff I have from them has been great. I'm also realizing as I get older that I am usually better off going with the buy once cry once strategy for gear. I'm about 15 years into my camping hobby now and I still have a lot of my first purchases that I use like my original JetBoil, Zlite pad, REI quarterdome, etc.

Haven't tried one but the specs look nice and Warbonnet makes great poo poo so I doubt you can go wrong with one.

Definitely agree with the "buy once cry once" thinking. Looking to buy my last hammock (haha) right now, been speccing out a DreamHammock Sparrow that I think will tick all the right boxes. Still pondering quilts (the underquilt I use is a Snugpak which is warm but heavy++) but since I am in Europe I think I'll go for the Cumulus stuff.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Well, pulled the trigger and placed an order with Dream Hammock today. Ended up being pretty pricey with all the options but gently caress it, I've been hammocking for a long time now so I think it's a worthwhile investment. Got an 11' Sparrow, custom 62" width with net and overcover. Chatted a lot with Randy there before placing the order and it seems like this will tick all the boxes for me. Now I just have to wait a couple of months...

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Nice!

What extra options did you go with and what type of fabric? Every once in a while I think about getting a new lighter hammock but I really love my Warbonnet XLC and it's shelf and everything else.

I was torn a bit between light weight and durability and ended up going with the 1.6 HyperD fabric. It's an 11' hammock, 62" wide (I dig wider than normal), UQ/TQ hooks, net and overcover (in 1.2 fabric, one large vent).

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Still waiting for the Dream Hammock I ordered back in November(!). They did send it on time (six weeks out) but first it disappeared in the USPS system for over a month and now it's sitting in customs in Sweden since a few weeks back. Hoping to get it within a couple of weeks... custom Sparrow model that I am much looking forward to! Got a new underquilt (Bushmen -2, down) as well.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

I was recently gifted this suspension system: https://www.grandtrunk.com/collections/hammock-straps/products/tree-slings-hanging-kit

It's essentially a rope suspension with a webbing sleeve to "protect" the trees. But is that actually true? Do you think this is enough to protect trees from damage? I don't actually know that much about this, I just know that everyone recommends webbing instead of rope for suspension. I'm perfectly willing to get a proper webbing daisy chain, but now I'm curious: why is it that webbing is so heavily preferred (and legislated)? What about a rope causes damage vs webbing?

Just think about the area covered by a rope vs area covered by even a 1.5" or so strap. There's a big difference. Webbing will spread the load while a rope will dig into the bark, damaging the tree.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

That's a good boy.

Was planning on breaking in my Dream Hammock this coming week but my brother just had to go get infected with The Virus so we had to call off the trip. Soon though!

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

CopperHound posted:

If you're content with Beckett hitch stick with it. Whoopie slings add a significant amount to minimum hang distance unless you do some shenanigans that involve putting the sling partway around the tree.

E: also on my last outing my partner pulled a woopie loop closed all the way and I had to spend 10 minutes fishing the loop out.

When I made my whoopie slings I put a small wooden "pellet" in just to keep that from happening. Highly recommended. If you have an already made one you can add something else to it.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Dutch makes great hammocks, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Have you used whoopi slings before? I would tend to caution new hangers against them. I have a pair and seem to use them, then get frustrated, then use them again. You might enjoy using some lightweight straps even better.

I bought some dutch spider straps and buckles to use with evo loops on the ends and the whole setup weighs under 3 ounces. Which is pretty close to what whoopi slings and straps would weigh.

Just something to consider.

Out of curiosity, what do you not like about whoopie slings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Pondex posted:

How big a tarp do you all use?

I just got a 4x4m and it seems a bit too massive to be practical. OTOH I'm tall, so I'm probably going to upgrade my hammock to a diy 12' one eventually. Which should fit nicely under a 4m tarp.

I use the Hennessy Hex Fly and think it's a great size. I think it's 143" / 360cm long.