Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Schweinhund posted:

anything is better than them making terrible jokes about their rivals and dumb fans acting like they're hilarious

Rays: "Look like the Mets lost, maybe they should be renamed the MESS"
Fans "OH NO YOU DIDNT. BOOM. GUYS CHECK OUT WHAT THE RAYS TWITTER SAID LOLOLOL OMG!!!!"

What about the ones always thanking god for allowing them to win? They're annoying as hell too. Guy standing in a boxing ring who just clobbered his opponent thinks he just did the will of some god?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Rugby Player Todd Carney made national news when a photo was snapped of him peeing into his own mouth at a local pub. Thats what I call self expression.

:nws: :nws: :nws: :nws: :nws: :nws:

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I would only like it if they agreed with me politically. If they don't than I don't think it should allowed. Thanks.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I like a lot of commentary as long as its not joe buck, op

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I think they should just forgo playing the sports all together and each team should debate each other on various political topics for 3 hours. In full uniform of course. Also physically fighting is allowed to determine who is correct.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

This just seems glib and reductive to me, like every other memey-jokey reference to her death

No good tweets

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Hmmm let's give a political/ideological platform to some dude whose qualifications include throwing ball well and likely multiple concussions, what could go wrong?

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Colonel Cancer posted:

Hmmm let's give a political/ideological platform to some dude whose qualifications include throwing ball well and likely multiple concussions, what could go wrong?

Lol you're right, let's restrict political platforms to real estate moguls with tv shows

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

weird way to tell everyone you are a fascist

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Waterbed Wendy posted:

weird way to tell everyone you are a fascist

:allears:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I don't want corporate interests playing any role in public discourse whatsoever because regardless of what positions they support or oppose they do it to increase their wealth/power in some way and they already have way way way way way too much.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Honestly I don't think we as society should give much regard to the opinions of people particularly good at entertainment when it comes to issues outside of their preferred form of entertainment, but if they are gonna be put on a pedestal while giving out pretty common opinions I am glad to see them express ones I agree with.

It's even more plus good when you see bigger organizations do it because it means the issue is hitting a critical mass and it's gonna be commonly accepted that everyone with a public facing opinion has to be on the right side of it.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

Honestly I don't think we as society should give much regard to the opinions of people particularly good at entertainment when it comes to issues outside of their preferred form of entertainment

"Shut up and dribble, political opinions belong to the politicians and the pundits"

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Aw hey big guy I'm just joshing around. I thought that would have been obvious by the hyperbole but it is the internet after all.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

The_Continental posted:

Rugby Player Todd Carney made national news when a photo was snapped of him peeing into his own mouth at a local pub. Thats what I call self expression.

A rugby player who pee into his own mouth, he a shameful rugby player.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I like the specific type of disjointed and confusing social commentary you only get from MMA stars.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

popewiles posted:

"Shut up and dribble, political opinions belong to the politicians and the pundits"

I didn't say that, just that being good at football doesn't necessarily mean you have any more or less relevant insight*.

*Arguably, many college athletes would have a better idea of what growing up poor was like compared to an average college student as it is one of the few viable paths forwards for people born in low income homes, but the same could be said for academic scholarships for low income families that don't come coupled with the same level of social reverence and you don't see those people getting primetime chances to talk about important issues, particularly economically important issues that many athletes dodge as they won a lucrative meritocracy competition and as such can preach a bootstraps approach to income.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Unironically, everybody should say whatever they want at all times, no matter how vile the speech or the person. Free speech is the closest thing this loathsome universe will ever have to a purpose or deity. It’s valuable in and of itself.

I don’t care for nazis, btw. Ya’ll should punch them whenever possible, and then joyously accept it when you’re sentenced to jail.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

*yells firegas in a crowded thread*

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Colonel Cancer posted:

*yells firegas in a crowded thread*

Better than yelling “fire” at a crowded book burning.

I’m not sure if I have a point.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Better than yelling “fire” at a crowded book burning.

I’m not sure if I have a point.

Hell same :hfive:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Also I'll give a poo poo what an athlete says when they back that speech up by refusing to compete in a city/state/country that does the thing they're speaking out against.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Nobody's out there to shut up rich famous people, it's virtually impossible without a totalitarian regime at your back. But the cult of personality they undoubtedly generate can be very dangerous.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Colonel Cancer posted:

Nobody's out there to shut up rich famous people, it's virtually impossible without a totalitarian regime at your back. But the cult of personality they undoubtedly generate can be very dangerous.

Becoming a professional athlete is pretty much the only defined route by which a lot of underprivileged minorities will ever have a substantial platform, but you are right that it is dangerous for them to exercise it. Better for them not to confuse real Americans by not making statements reflecting on their experiences.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

The_Continental posted:

I like pissing and messed up stuff like that. I want to gargle it in fact

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Also I'll give a poo poo what an athlete says when they back that speech up by refusing to compete in a city/state/country that does the thing they're speaking out against.

How about when they're blackballed out of the league

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

popewiles posted:

Becoming a professional athlete is pretty much the only defined route by which a lot of underprivileged minorities will ever have a substantial platform, but you are right that it is dangerous for them to exercise it. Better for them not to confuse real Americans by not making statements reflecting on their experiences.

Yup you got it.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

keeping em separate is actively serving some dickhead's political agenda, every time.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The_Continental posted:

Joey Saladino got a haircut

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man
I don't object to politics from sports players in general but I do object to politics from sports organizations categorically and I also object to politics from sports players and organizations in America because our stupid rear end culture is so hosed that we think a rich rear end in a top hat going into the fuckin projects to hand some kid more money than the last ten generations of his family combined have ever seen in their lives, to put him to work as an entertainment slave for a bunch of other rich assholes is not only cool and good, but when that kid is tacitly allowed to perform an utterly meaningless symbolic gesture to Make People Think About Racism because it's in the organization's interest to appear Woke, that is actually Stunning and Brave and a real marker of social progress

Salacious Spy fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jul 25, 2020

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man
pike the head of Roger Goodell on national TV and then we'll be talking

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

It's fine as long as they don't criticize China

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I don't want corporate interests playing any role in public discourse whatsoever because regardless of what positions they support or oppose they do it to increase their wealth/power in some way and they already have way way way way way too much.

its protest/politics by proxy which adds a layer of disengagement/distance, making any commentary all the more shallow and without merit or meaning

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Jim Long-un posted:

I don't object to politics from sports players in general but I do object to politics from sports organizations categorically and I also object to politics from sports players and organizations in America because our stupid rear end culture is so hosed that we think a rich rear end in a top hat going into the fuckin projects to hand some kid more money than the last ten generations of his family combined have ever seen in their lives, to put him to work as an entertainment slave for a bunch of other rich assholes is not only cool and good, but when that kid is tacitly allowed to perform an utterly meaningless symbolic gesture to Make People Think About Racism because it's in the organization's interest to appear Woke, that is actually Stunning and Brave and a real marker of social progress

So you're just against people from the projects getting paid what they're worth for the value of the work they're doing or what?

Anyway on a more serious note now that Aaron Rodgers has broken up with both Olivia Munn and Danica Patrick it's finally time for him to step out of the shadows and take up the mantle of "Being Gay With Me On National TV" a hard hitting cause I've been working towards recently that my wife assures is me is fine.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Jim Long-un posted:

Do you think Kaepernick was being manipulated by his organization to kneel during the anthem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Not trying to convey that you were, i just see that as the most visible and significant example of protest in sports as of recent, and it didnt seem tokenistic.