Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Vando posted:

nonstop "summer camp activity leader" tone

Isn't that an ok tone for newbies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Guinness posted:

One of the biggest benefits to SPDs is the double-sided pedal designs. If you’re going to give that up may as well look into other pedal systems IMO.

I have the Deore XT M8020s on my gravel bike and they’ve been rock solid so far.

I bought SHIMANO SPD Pedal Clipless Pedals off amazon for my first one and i didn't adjust a thing and they've been great for my gravel outings. There's a good amount of movement and if you panic because you can't get your feet out they usually come loose =D

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

In fairness there's a reliable maneuver to flip those one-sided SPD pedals with your toe and slide your foot forward to clip in but I never practiced it enough to make it muscle memory :effort:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

why would you ever want your pedal to be one-sided idgi

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I dunno, I thought they'd be better than bottom-end Deore pedals in some indefinable way (they're not) and they were like $20 tacked on to an order from Europe. It's been like a year or two and I'm still bummed out that you can't order Shimano poo poo from Bike24, Rosebikes, etc. in the US anymore

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actionjackson posted:

why would you ever want your pedal to be one-sided idgi

kimbo305 posted:

*Hill climb special*

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I suppose it would be good so if you wanted to just ride chill sometimes and wear normal shoes you could pedal on the other side

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

actionjackson posted:

I suppose it would be good so if you wanted to just ride chill sometimes and wear normal shoes you could pedal on the other side

This is my commuter setup and it’s great. Well, back when I left the house.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
If we're talking about party pedals then I'd highly recommend those to anyone that's interested. The whole "what happens if you step on the wrong side" is one of those things that only people without party pedals think of as a problem. The only reason I stopped using them was because of all the pedal strike issues I started getting cuz I was messing around on soft trails too much. Also, I tend to do all my chill cruising in spd sandals now so that removes my incentive to putting party pedals back on as well.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
In Japan I would use my roadbike for commute because it’s nice and I could just leave it in my office or the office bike park off the road so wasn’t afraid of it being stolen.

Combo flat-SPD pedals were real nice for that. Never felt like an issue clipping in and out or whatever. At worst if I’m riding clipless in the city and have to stop for a light I accelerate a bit then stop for a moment to make sure I’m seated.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I recently dug my bike (hybrid I bought from an taller roommate when he left town for grad school about 10 years ago, so it’s probably a little too big for me) out of the garage for the first time in four years due to cabin fever and remembering I live a mile from a nice paved bike trail that runs the width of the city and have gotten in a couple nice 10ish mile rides in and I think I’m going to try and keep it up since I fell off the exercise wagon hard when the lockdowns started and this is the most momentum I’ve had in a while.

Although it’s probably not the best bike for how I’m going to use it for now, I don’t think I’m in a place to do a wholesale swap to a different bike anytime soon, so I think I’m going to swap out some components for comfort, particularly my incredibly gunky grips which I have never done anything with since I obtained the bike. Is there any meaningful difference between cork and rubber? Also, I was messing with the grip selector on Ergon’s website and it recommended a couple models with bar ends, any thoughts on these for hybrid bikes? I’ve only ever used flats, so I’m not at all familiar with using ends.

Next swap will probably be saddle, but the one I have is still in decent shape and this would be even more of a comfort change than anything.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actionjackson posted:

The one-sided ones I'm talking about are smaller than normal 3-bolt pedals. You'd have a worse time pedaling in normal shoes.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Vando posted:

Look, I'm not here to be a dick for the sake of it but it would be nice if we had something more than a wall of text in nonstop "summer camp activity leader" tone. Would it help if I threw together some expansions with pictures/video? I don't mind doing the work, I just think this is a bit of a missed opportunity for getting people into cycling with the new forum etc.

Although now that I think of it, maybe that could be a thread all of its own, sort of a beginners intro to cycling deal? Might head off some of the repeated questions that always crop up.
Be the change you want to see in the forums.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the base model Shimano SPD MTB pedals are basically perfect

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the Crank Brothers Candy C pedals are basically perfect

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 27, 2020

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Yes but crankbros pedals are guaranteed to fail spectacularly. Which is why I keep riding my bike: to finally witness the spectacle I've been denied still after tens of thousands of miles on them

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Steve French posted:

Yes but crankbros pedals are guaranteed to fail spectacularly. Which is why I keep riding my bike: to finally witness the spectacle I've been denied still after tens of thousands of miles on them

:same:

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

\Also, I was messing with the grip selector on Ergon’s website and it recommended a couple models with bar ends, any thoughts on these for hybrid bikes? I’ve only ever used flats, so I’m not at all familiar with using ends.

First: awesome that you're cycling again, welcome back! An ancient too-big bike is better than no bike at all.

I have Ergon GP-5 grips on two bikes; they are awesome. They add two hand positions to the one you've already got, which can be great for both comfort and leverage (such as when climbing hills). They are somewhat expensive but, in my opinion, worth the money if you can swing it.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Vando posted:

Look, I'm not here to be a dick for the sake of it but it would be nice if we had something more than a wall of text in nonstop "summer camp activity leader" tone. Would it help if I threw together some expansions with pictures/video? I don't mind doing the work, I just think this is a bit of a missed opportunity for getting people into cycling with the new forum etc.

Although now that I think of it, maybe that could be a thread all of its own, sort of a beginners intro to cycling deal? Might head off some of the repeated questions that always crop up.

I'm not getting the tone you're describing from the post, and find it to be matter of fact and helpful. It was really useful for me last summer when I first got into road bikes, and the mildly updated version for the new thread still seems fine. It's a forum post, not an interactive experience, so I don't care that it's mostly text. I don't find it difficult or cumbersome to have to read it. Videos and whatnot might improve it, but I don't think that the lack makes it bad.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
to be honest I don't think we need a newbie thread, a megathread should be able to cover that kind of stuff. We already have probably "too many" threads with a bunch of stuff that could fall under this one
while posting new threads is a cost free activity, it can also make actually finding the relevant threads harder and then everyone posts in here anyways.
my 2 cents I guess

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

imo this thread (by which I mean the last one, I guess) is good for newbies, with the caveat that the commuter thread will have better advice if they're not interested in buying an actual road bike

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Keep the newbs here. I picture a beginner thread being really tedious for anyone with experience to bookmark so it's just going to be a bunch of beginners giving each other advice. Which means schrader valves and WD-40

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Send the newbies to the competitive cycling thread.

Lord knows there's nothing else to talk about in there for the next... ? anyway.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Geometry is weird. My wife has a hybrid bike that is officially a size smaller than my gravel bike. But it's absolutely longer and maybe taller, but with a lower standover. In conclusion, bikes are a land of contrasts.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Steve French posted:

You want pedals that don't break? Time ATAC Aliums. I troll ebay for the in my spare time.
Apparently other people have noticed because decent condition ones were $30 all day.
Basically like all the spares except bearings (which are standard size) are NLA, but they basically don't break.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Have you guys ever tried replacing the hub or bearings on a rear wheel before? I've got a set of (now defunct) Williams wheels and I had the rear one off the other day and noticed it feels very rough when spinning between my hands. The front is smooth as butter. I'm not really sure where to start to tackle this job: are rear hubs custom to specific wheels, or generic? Can I just buy sealed bearings like I would for a skateboard or ? I'm thinking if it can be done in a way that doesn't require messing with spokes or requiring some advanced jig, I'll give it a shot.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

former glory posted:

Have you guys ever tried replacing the hub or bearings on a rear wheel before? I've got a set of (now defunct) Williams wheels and I had the rear one off the other day and noticed it feels very rough when spinning between my hands. The front is smooth as butter. I'm not really sure where to start to tackle this job: are rear hubs custom to specific wheels, or generic? Can I just buy sealed bearings like I would for a skateboard or ? I'm thinking if it can be done in a way that doesn't require messing with spokes or requiring some advanced jig, I'll give it a shot.
Some hubs are loose ball bearings, others are sealed bearings.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

former glory posted:

If you can't see any markings telling you what the hub is, posting a picture of it might help in identifying it and figuring out if it uses sealed or loose bearings.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Today is New Jersey Day. Post those new jerseys.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
is there a way to remove decals from H+Son alloy rims, or any other well-regarded 36-spoke alloy rims? I like the ones which look like old Mavic CXPs but they're for an old bike and the decals on H+Son rims are completely inappropriate for a vintage bike (they look way too "fixie cool")

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

is there a way to remove decals from H+Son alloy rims, or any other well-regarded 36-spoke alloy rims? I like the ones which look like old Mavic CXPs but they're for an old bike and the decals on H+Son rims are completely inappropriate for a vintage bike (they look way too "fixie cool")

I think all Velocity rims have removable decals. You can email them and ask as well.
They'll also basically do requests, so if you have some time, they can make a rim without decals. They're making me a rim they sell in black only in polished, I'm sure the can help you with that.

The H+son decals look just like surface stickers.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kimbo305 posted:

:shrug:

Photo of Jersey City from a ride last week.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

nm posted:

I think all Velocity rims have removable decals. You can email them and ask as well.
They'll also basically do requests, so if you have some time, they can make a rim without decals. They're making me a rim they sell in black only in polished, I'm sure the can help you with that.

The H+son decals look just like surface stickers.

Thanks. Was going off this article and was surprised how few options had 36 spokes, given that I imagine there's a decent market of people buying these for old hubs.

The H+S TB14s look good and don't have decals either, but I prefer the "v-shape" look a la Mavic CXPs for an 80s bike.

http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/reviews-and-testing/alloy-rim-roundup/

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 27, 2020

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

BeastPussy posted:

If you can't see any markings telling you what the hub is, posting a picture of it might help in identifying it and figuring out if it uses sealed or loose bearings.

It looks to be this exact system here:

Last mention of it is about the time the company disappeared: https://bikerumor.com/2015/08/21/williams-introduces-new-system-38-carbon-clincher-to-compliment-their-58-and-85mm-wheelsets/

Pictured on the bike itself:

I've already got the tool that lets me take off the cassette, so I'm wondering if I need any non-standard tool or adapter specific to the hub. I haven't used the cassette tool in a while, but I think it was like a bolt adapter that let me take a wrench to it to pop it off.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

kimbo305 posted:

Pretty close to new:

Birthday present kit from my partner. It looks like a background matte painting from a 70s scifi film.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I've got a big head and need to find a helmet for it, but can't test them out in person at a store now. Does anyone know of a brand I can look at that'll have XXL sizes / have accurate dimensions for their sizes?

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Spikes32 posted:

I've got a big head and need to find a helmet for it, but can't test them out in person at a store now. Does anyone know of a brand I can look at that'll have XXL sizes / have accurate dimensions for their sizes?

I have a large head (64cm) and have had a hard time finding helmets that fit well. Bell makes some extra-large helmets that have fit me. Their XL model used to be the Triton, which got replaced by the XLV. I'm not sure what it's called now, but that's probably worth looking into. (Report back!) I also have a Giro that fits, though not as comfortably as my Triton.

Not bike-specific, but I have a Nutcase helmet for scootering/riding while looking like a skateboarder and it fits my large head very well, so that might be another brand to look into.

becoming fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 27, 2020

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Spikes32 posted:

They all provide size ranges and are adjustable. Measure your head.

xdice
Feb 15, 2006

Spikes32 posted:

I had this issue when I bought my new mountain bike in April, took me 2-3 weeks to find a helmet. Ended up with a Specialized Align. Box marked as XXL, the sticker inside the helmet says 59-64cm. It fits on my fat head without issue. The dial-fit thing it has is nice to get the fit just right. Best part? it was only $60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

kimbo305 posted:

It's not new, but it's mine for another year (thanks covid):