Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

tuyop posted:

Where can I get a wheelset with a dynamo hub in Canada? Are the options really only like $1000 or build-your-own?

Just looking for a replacement wheelset for my wife’s 700C (I think they’re 22mm wide, they’re Bontrager at-750s anyway, bike wheels are hard!) wheels so that she can have dyno lights this winter. Oh and she has rim breaks haha.

Any local bike shop with a wheel builder. Shimano have a 75$ dynamo hub that I've been using for a few winters and works as well as the Alfine at twice the price. I haven't been able to find a b2b supplier of pre-built dynamo wheels in Canada.

Edit: a CR18 rim would be 40$ and lacing and spokes probably 75-100$. Not the cheapest but decent and it'll last many winters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

rollers sound extremely good for you op. good ones are a few hundred bucks, practice in a doorframe until you get the hang of not falling on your rear end, done.

you can literally rust through a top tube this way on a steel frame. please clean your bike after trainer riding.

I've seen a carbon steerer unglue from the fork because of trainersweat. Put down a towel and clean your bike folks

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Why would a cyclist pay attention to crosswalk lights instead of a green traffic light, they're not walking. Check your mirror and shoulder before turning and yield to more vulnerable road users please.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Use the french term IMO, call them Automatic Pedals

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

ExecuDork posted:

:( drat. I was really warming up to using it as a term for my "toe clips" which are not very clip-like (compare to, for example, an alligator clip holding a poorly-photocopied manifesto together).

Anybody got any other suggestions? I'd like a new word.

What do you think alligator clips are?

Edit: the french word is «cale-pieds» if you want to keep using french.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Am I going to notice much of a difference replacing the Tektro rim brakes on my winter bike for something different? I already use kool stop pads, but I had a couple of moments on a wet ride the other day that made me wonder whether the brakes themselves can be improved.

I have 10 speed tiagra on that bike if it matters.

E: don’t tell me to get disks

Tektro are great, all brakes need enough time for the pads to clear the braking surface of water so they can directly touch and cause friction. Disks are just off the ground so they get slightly less wet.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

multijoe posted:

So, I replaced by old hybrid with a gravel bike recent, absolutely love it so far. Thinking ahead though, once I start using it for commuting again I would ideally like it to go a little faster than it currently caps out at with its 1x11 gear setup.

Would it be a) possible and b) beneficial to some point to set up a 2x front gearset for better road speeds and, if so, what types of things do I need to be aware of when arranging the upgrade? (i.e. cost, complexity, parts compatibility, and so on)

Most 1x derailleurs aren't capable of compensating for front shifts, but look up "mullet drivetrain" to do what you're asking. It's extremely dependent on your specific parts.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

The worst is 9-speed Ultegra with the cables coming out the side, they always eat the heads and it's a chore to get all the little bits out of the mechanism, because it's not like it broke off in the highest gear.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

learnincurve posted:

Have you ever had one of those days where you just stand with your hands on your hips looking at something someone else has done to a second hand bike just befoggled going “whu wha fuuuuuu whu?”

The seat post was 26 cm and was held in by 4cm, what is this a seat post for ants or were you actually trying to murder your wife sir?

Old steel seatposts had less insertion minimums and people tended to ride larger frames until the 90s, so I can see the habit being formed there. Though obviously some people don't think safety bounds apply to them. See every crane collapse ever.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

learnincurve posted:

I ripped it out the bike in case anyone grabbed it from the shed by accident, and it was in exactly this much under “insertion minimum”

This is not even the worst thing he did to this bike, the worst thing was either putting the fork on backwards then rewiring the cables around it, or not tightening a single bolt.

Edit: this is a 16” women’s MTB frame btw.

Edit: ohhh I see, Google says the saddle is not the one that would have come with the bike, he’s switched the seat post plus the saddle from a different much smaller bike.

Lol I love that backward MTB fork. You see it all the time on Canadian Tire bikes.

Bring back curved forks imo

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Objurium posted:

Apologies if this is a dumb question.

It's getting to be about time to slap some new brake pads on my bike, and I don't seem to be able to track down OEM replacements. I've got Promax 330R disc brakes on my Salsa, and the manufacturer's SKU for replacements isn't in stock anywhere that I can see after some google digging.

There's some kind of sketch looking ones on Amazon that claim to be compatible, but I'm not sure how into random dubious origin products for something as important as braking, and I'm not entirely sure they'd be 100% drop ins to begin with.

Is there an obvious solution or retailer I'm overlooking here? Promax's product sku is PXBP14PD71SSL if it helps.

Promax brakes are already sketchy dubious origin products, by all means just get whatever's the right size and shape.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

isn't this exactly what those plastic breakaway clamps for fender stays are designed to prevent?

e: :doh: I guess if a stick catches the stay it wouldn't help all that much

Yeah the newsletter addressed this directly, Riv only install SKS, which have the breakaway tabs. Their bikes look way better with silver aluminium fenders tho, it's a shame.

E: the moral of the story is VO parts are on the cheap end of nice. Buy Honjo and cry once, then enjoy forever.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Dynamos are wicked heavy is most of the problem. You can also feel the 3w and while it doesn't change much to a ride, it's not as pleasant a feeling.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

CopperHound posted:

You must be the princess and the pea of bicycles.

I would argue that most people can't feel the difference riding a hub dynamo (other than just extra weight on the bike). Still would be dumb to put on and actual racing bike of course.

I don't mind the feeling, I have dynamos on three bikes, but every brand I've used, you can feel the difference between lights on and lights off, mainly if you're rolling at more than 25km/h when the efficiency of the dynamo drops a bit.

Doesn't make a lick of difference in the city, but city bikes don't have di2 usually.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Toe overlap is generally caused by manufacturers refusing to change wheel sizes when they change frame sizes. You're allowed to have a road bike with other wheel sizes than 700C and it's the geometry most prone to overlap.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

Well maybe people who aren't "just tooting around town or short casual rides" should pony up more money and get a bigger battery (and/or a spare) and/or lighter bicycle and/or ease up on the assist/lose weight? I think people tend to have unrealistic expectations/demands and aren't willing to compromise or accept reality.

Oh so you've worked at a bike store

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

Hmm 8/10 psi I think maybe I should pump my tires. Followed by me losing both the valve caps to a gravel driveway.

Thank goodness valve caps are useless and you can just let the gravel eat them

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Now seems like a good time to ask: what is up with those stupid skinny not-schrader valves that have the little thing you turn manually to unseat them?

Cause they seem to be utterly worthless at holding the air on the inside and I don't know why you would put them on a mountain bike, I've modified one wheel to take a sane valve but still need to do the other.

Do you mean Presta valves? Absolutely normal valves to find on a bicycle? For like a century? Don't ghetto drill / modify your rims just because you don't understand how to use normal bicycle valves buddy.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

jooky posted:

I recently picked up a Salsa Warbird Apex 1 and was looking into upgrading to a power meter, but I'm having a tough time tracking down the actual bottom bracket used on the bike. Per the spec sheets it's a BB86 PressFit, but can't find any specifics beyond that. Trying to figure out if I could use the Rival AXS cranks with the current bottom bracket, but having trouble sussing that out. Assuming I'd need to swap out the BB, but does anyone have an idea?

Trying to find the path of least resistance here while not breaking the bank, so definitely open to other suggestions.

I think current SRAM cranks are all 29.9 and, in a totally unexpected move from a big manufacturer, totally incompatible with anything other than Dub bottom brackets, the proud new standard that we'll surely all flock to and pay royalties for.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

what is this witchcraft

Retro Directe drive! Pedal backward to use your climbing gear, pedal forward to use your regular gear.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

I noticed a slight clicking sensation on my bike yesterday, it kept happening at the same spot in the pedal stroke but I think it felt more pronounced in one or two gears but not necessarily all of them...any suggestions what to look at first?

Check that your saddle is tight.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

The dentist I know best rides a hell of a lot, knows every great gravel road for three counties, and will kick your rear end on any hill. He's pretty cool. His bikes are very expensive but that's not terribly relevant.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Incidentally, the bearings on these wheels have very low drag. Guessing the spec doesn't need to hold up to as much weight:
https://i.imgur.com/LN2en1b.mp4
From a hard hand spin, it takes almost 2min to come to a stop.

That means there's no grease whatsoever in them because kids bikes are trash that nobody wants to pay a dime more for.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

You have to know some context here.

There have been some misguided projects in San Diego county, with the one in Cardiff By The Sea being the worst..

In that case a wide bike lane was replaced by a bollard separated cycle track with concrete blocks that have resulted in numerous serious injuries in a section of road that had less than 1/20th the incidents before.

Politicians bought into the premise that feeling safe was more important than actual safety.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X75Z_txehqEU5lnF1qnd6WcJUmweKlOsgIZg-Rc6AyU/edit

Cyclists are now avoiding the route or just taking the right car lane, which was previously unnecessary. It also hurt the visual aesthetic of this coastal route.

In Leucadia a bollard separated lane placed cyclists to the right of a lane where vehicles make right turns,. Result, a fatality on a road that didn’t have any before

Sweet hell, they've got two exit lanes from that highway going across the barely-there bike path. What a foolish road.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

TobinHatesYou posted:

Companies like Trek/Bontrager have a 30-day satisfaction guarantee in most regions.

Some local bike shops will have test saddles for specific brands. I know Fizik and Selle SMP's distributors will send any of their dealers test saddles.

We had to pay for our Fizik testers, but yes, in principle if they haven't sent out all their limited number of testers, it's possible.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Someone thought they were being clever and then made their bike into a job no mechanic will ever want to touch.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Drillium seeing a resurgence I see.

I'm the inside of the hole coloured in sharpie

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

The Honjo aren't nicest cause they're easiest to install, friend. They're nicest cause they're the best. They look good and last decades.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Take your time before getting back on the bike if you have that luxury. I've pushed through every time, because it's my transportation, and because of stubbornness. It kinda leads to carrying around a lot of post-traumatic stress all the time, I don't recommend it.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

truavatar posted:

I should mention that I was recommended the Surly Cross-Check a few years ago when I started looking into this, but never pulled the trigger. It's a little on the pricey side, but I don't really know anything else about it.

It's not cheap, but the Cross Check will be tougher than anything else at that price.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

truavatar posted:

Is it reasonable to expect a decent intro road bike for closer to $500-700, if I don't want to drop what is likely $1200 for a fully set up Cross-Check? I'm also open to used, I suppose.

For the past few years I don't think a road bike at that price is realistic. It's certainly possible to find, but the parts will be absolutely the worst possible, so you'll never reasonably wind up getting it repaired or maintained.

You can certainly find a used road bike for that price though.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

Never heard of Bob Jackson before but check this out:

Oh hell yes

Look at that miserable gearing and lack of hydration. Pure 80s

Holy hell that's a moustache bar. What a bike.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

learnincurve posted:

It’s a thing that drives me nuts it’s the cheapest £9 Amazon lights set to blink which are without fail directly aimed at other oncoming cyclists eyes instead of the ground. On the road yeh sure be a beacon of blinking and fireworks if it keeps you safe but these guys don’t need to blind other cyclists on car free routes :(

You're allowed to ask them to lower their lights

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

tarlibone posted:

Oh, I'm mostly kidding. If I went through the ratios in order, it would be more of an experiment than anything else. Just for laughs.

I just took the Escape out for a 5-mile grocery run. The Upper Hometown terrain is going to be a good tutorial for learning how to best deal with 21 speeds, with all the quick hills interrupted by frequent stop signs that can't be ignored. I'm already finding out how nice it is not always having to go up and down one speed at a time when going from decent to ascent.

I wonder if there are quick-disconnect trunk rack connectors. I have a pannier I like using on errand runs, but the rack is on my old bike, and I didn't feel like moving it over for this run. If be nice to be able to remove it quickly if I want to ride without it. I went with a backpack this time.

A rack is, like, thirty bucks, you can have two!

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Levitate posted:

I had the "startled old person" this morning

Heading onto a wide fire road I called out "bike coming up behind you" and one walker started moving over and the other, an old guy, looked back and jumped like I had snuck up behind him and was inches from his heals (i was like 20 feet back moving slowly)

I suppose with older folks I need to be louder in case they're hard of hearing

Your reflexes become complete garbage as you age, the old nerves ain't what they used to be. It genuinely, physiologically takes way longer for olds to react to a bell even if they can hear it.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Was washing my bike and found this pitting/gouging on the chain stay (aluminum)

Is this bad enough that I shouldn’t ride the bike?

Nah that's just what chainstays look like in my experience

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

Seems like since I live up on top a mountain I kinda want the 34T? I'm told though I can go lower on the small number, I'm told 11 is really nice/the best?

Freewheels go down to 14t, they're made differently than cassettes. Sheldon Brown can explain the difference.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

bicievino posted:

I've got freewheels in my basement down to 12t at least, and Google suggests there are a number of 7spd freewheels still being made with an 11t.

For some reason I thought those would be Uniglide or Helico or something. Wild if true.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

Quick repost but does anyone happen to know if a "E-Bike" freewheel will work on non-e-bikes?

DnP are a real company that make shitloads of cheap freewheels that work fine. The specs on that thing are correct for a real bike. Ebikes probably use Shimano Tourney RDs which will gobble up that big cog jump no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

mexecan posted:

Thoughts on gravel wheelsets? Two options I’m contemplating right now:

1. We Are One carbon Revive rims + Industry 9 1/1 hubs + Sapim Race spokes - $1400 CAD

2. Hunt Gravel Race Disc $900 CAD

The costs for the We Are Ones will be about $300 more when you add shipping and duty. There’s also a wait until November.

We Are Ones are carbon and have nicer hubs. I’m also local to BC so would find it easier to deal with then if/when I have warranty issues.

Anything I’m missing here? Other options?

What's the difference between a gravel wheel and a road wheel?