Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
What is everyone’s preferred method or implement to add sealant to tubeless tires? I’ve been unseating the tire and pouring sealant in but am growing to realize how stupid and irritating that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
Any particular injector? Amazon has a bunch of random/generic ones that all seem comparable...

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
Thanks all.

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
Hey all, I discovered today a hairline crack on my tubeless Mavic Open Pro rim emanating from a spoke/nipple in about 1cm either direction along the rim. My intuition tells me I probably out not to ride the rim at all, but am wondering what you all think. I'm going to have the wheel rebuilt either way with a rim that is hopefully less of a pain in the rear end for tubeless setups (any recommendations?).

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
I just installed a new 11sp 105 chain and 11x34 cassette on an 11sp Ultegra long cage rear derailleur. I'm getting a strange knocking in the rear derailleur in the smallest three cogs mostly and am having a hell of a time figuring out what's going on. Shifting is otherwise smooth and the chain doesn't seem to be skipping. Any ideas?

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
Thanks all. Yes, I have the correct spacer installed.
I've done lots of cable tension adjusting, checked the B-screw, taken off the wheel and re-tightened the cassette lockring. I had a fleeting that that maybe I sized the chain incorrectly but it seems fine after doing a bit of research. As far as the noise, it seems worst in the big ring and the smallest three cogs but I'm not feeling any play in the cassette itself. Anything I'm missing? The only other thought I had was that I had pulled the pulleys off and thoroughly cleaned them; maybe I overdid it?

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003

kgibson posted:

Thanks all. Yes, I have the correct spacer installed.
I've done lots of cable tension adjusting, checked the B-screw, taken off the wheel and re-tightened the cassette lockring. I had a fleeting that that maybe I sized the chain incorrectly but it seems fine after doing a bit of research. As far as the noise, it seems worst in the big ring and the smallest three cogs but I'm not feeling any play in the cassette itself. Anything I'm missing? The only other thought I had was that I had pulled the pulleys off and thoroughly cleaned them; maybe I overdid it?

Hey all, still no luck with this issue. I did end up swapping out pulleys and retrying b-screw and cable tension adjustments to no avail. I also tried adjusting the tension on the chain by moving the wheels around in the dropouts, but that didn't make much difference at all. I grabbed a quick vid of the noise I'm trying to address:

https://imgur.com/UwrgWLA

(Sorry for the shakiness and portrait orientation.)

The clicking in the third to smallest cog is the issue. The same noise is present to a lesser extent in the fourth largest. They seem worse in the small ring but are present in both.

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
Yeah, that seems to be the direction this is headed... (and it will give me an excuse to spend $ on a new tool)

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003

mikemelbrooks posted:

I doesn't sound 100% indexed to me, I swap chains between my bikes and accidentally put a 9 speed chain on a 10 speed bike the chain would just catch on only the ramped part of the cogs. If you haven't thrown away the old components maybe swap back the chain to eliminate that., and /or the cassette.

I had to ditch the old cassette and chain, unfortunately, but I did double check that it's an 11sp chain (albeit 105 rather than Ultegra/DA, though I doubt that should make a difference) oriented the correct way. This leads me to wonder more about the hanger and whether it might be bent so I'm waiting on the tool to check it out. What I am confused by in all of this is that the chain doesn't skip and the shifting seems reasonably consistent and quick despite all the racket of noise. 🤷🏻‍♂️

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003

eSporks posted:

It sounds like the chain is trying to climb gears. Does the sound go away if you turn the barrel adjuster clockwise 2-5 clicks? If yes, cool. Does it still run smooth in the larger cogs? If yes, cool. If no, check the der. hanger.

So this is what gets me wondering about the hanger: adjusting the barrel counter clockwise seems to help the shifting and the noise on the small cogs but then in turn worsens it on the larger ones. My understanding is that that's typical of a bent/misaligned hanger...?

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003

eSporks posted:

It's definitely where I would start.

EvilJoven posted:

Shifting being fine on one side and poo poo on the other is bent hanger 80% of the time bad cable or housing 15% of the time extremely bad chainline 5% of the time and lol glhf trying random things until it starts working again 1% of the time.

The hanger alignment tool is supposed to show up Monday so I'll report back then. Thanks for the help with this!

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003

kgibson posted:

Hey all, still no luck with this issue. I did end up swapping out pulleys and retrying b-screw and cable tension adjustments to no avail. I also tried adjusting the tension on the chain by moving the wheels around in the dropouts, but that didn't make much difference at all. I grabbed a quick vid of the noise I'm trying to address:

https://imgur.com/UwrgWLA

(Sorry for the shakiness and portrait orientation.)

The clicking in the third to smallest cog is the issue. The same noise is present to a lesser extent in the fourth largest. They seem worse in the small ring but are present in both.

Hey everyone, an update on this, for anyone interested: the alignment tool showed up today, and after fumbling with it for a bit, it became quite clear that the hanger was misaligned vertically, which makes sense given that the bike has fallen a couple of times within the last several months. A quick adjustment and it seems to have cleared up the racket! Thanks to you all for your help with this.

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
Alright everyone, I have a mystery click that I'd love your input about. It's coming vaguely from the drivetrain and can sort of be felt up the cranks sometimes. It's intermittent, and almost like a high pitched chirping click. Seems to happen generally when under moderate strain. Doesn't seem to happen standing. Most noticeable in lower gears, both in big and small chainrings. For reference, drivetrain is (as you'll see) all fairly new Ultegra 11sp.

I know mystery clicks are impossible to diagnose, so I'm hoping just for any ideas of things to try apart from what I have already done, which includes:

- aligned derailleur hanger
- removed, greased, tightened chainrings
- replaced chain
- replaced cassette
- replaced rear derailleur and inner shift cable
- regreased and tightened rear skewer
- checked tightness of tubeless valve
- regreased and tightened pedals, and tried another pair of pedals
- regreased and checked tightness of seatpost and clamp
- twisted and pressed saddle to ensure it's not a saddle thing; I can't produce the noise from the saddle

I have a new bottom bracket on the way (given that the old one has several thousand miles, many rainy and gravely) but I'm already mentally preparing for the click to persist given how it has gone so far. I'll regrease the appropriate crank spots when I pull them for the bb if necessary.

Anything I have missed?

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
As far as I can tell, no spoke contact. I've checked heel clearance, made sure cage-mounted pump is out of the way, etc.

Any recommendations for the best cloth tape? I'll order a roll on Amazon.

Cleats have been replaced within the last 18 months but that's another good idea. I'll re-check those screws, too. (They're speedplay zeros.)

The handlebar faceplate is another good idea that I'll check and re-torque!

Thanks everyone. Will keep you all posted...

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
Yes. It'll be a minute before I can swap it so I'll give the tape a go first. Thanks.

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003
Quick update after a ride today: after the stem faceplate bolt check, no change, so it wasn't that. I also did end up hearing it when standing, which seems to rule out the saddle. Should be able to pull cranks and bb in the next few days. Fingers crossed that'll make a change. Thanks again all.

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003

kgibson posted:

Alright everyone, I have a mystery click that I'd love your input about. It's coming vaguely from the drivetrain and can sort of be felt up the cranks sometimes. It's intermittent, and almost like a high pitched chirping click. Seems to happen generally when under moderate strain. Doesn't seem to happen standing. Most noticeable in lower gears, both in big and small chainrings. For reference, drivetrain is (as you'll see) all fairly new Ultegra 11sp.

I know mystery clicks are impossible to diagnose, so I'm hoping just for any ideas of things to try apart from what I have already done, which includes:

- aligned derailleur hanger
- removed, greased, tightened chainrings
- replaced chain
- replaced cassette
- replaced rear derailleur and inner shift cable
- regreased and tightened rear skewer
- checked tightness of tubeless valve
- regreased and tightened pedals, and tried another pair of pedals
- regreased and checked tightness of seatpost and clamp
- twisted and pressed saddle to ensure it's not a saddle thing; I can't produce the noise from the saddle

I have a new bottom bracket on the way (given that the old one has several thousand miles, many rainy and gravely) but I'm already mentally preparing for the click to persist given how it has gone so far. I'll regrease the appropriate crank spots when I pull them for the bb if necessary.

Anything I have missed?

Update about this mystery noise: seems to have been loose rear wheel spoke or spokes. I retensioned them all, added a dab of lube to points of intersection, and had a silent ride today. Hopefully that'll be that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003

amenenema posted:

Where's my certificate of appreciation? ;D

As for seatposts, when I was trying to find a post for my Rockhopper -> gravel build basically everything I read said that except for some very edge cases setback posts don't make sense. TT's and weird fit situations were the common exceptions. Got any examples of more "general use"? I'm genuinely curious!

Edit - stuff like this https://analogcycles.com/zero-offset-seatposts-make-zero-sense-mostly/

If you're ever in socal I'll buy you a beer 😁