Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
nvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

jamal posted:

First ride

i like it a lot

Hell yeah

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Unknownmass posted:

Goons in Colorado should really try and make the Mt Evans ride. I have not rode anything else like it.

Yes and I used to have that bike.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Every now and then you’ll see some folks do it from Boulder and it always looks like a really good but big day. I’m dumb enough to consider sometime.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

deong posted:

Just do it.
I went from the capitol 5280 medallion (Important!) to Evans via Idaho Springs side. Not sure why we didn't do it from Evergreen. But then we cheated and left a car in Idaho Springs so we didn't have to ride back to Denver. Still a 12 hour day, so "cheat".

I'm no where in as good as shape as you and vikingstrike. So get at it. I'm shooting to do Evergreen -> Evans -> Idaho Springs -> Evergreen at the end of Aug/Early Sept. But that's coming up quick.

We should ride MTBs sometime. Been awhile.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

e.pilot posted:

holy SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

It came out great. Can’t wait to see it built back up.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I do miss riding north Georgia and the rolling hills in the eastern part of the state. Not worth moving back but I usually try to grab a bike when I go home to visit.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Coredump posted:

You got some favorites you wouldn't mind to share? I'm always looking for new places to ride around here.

Sure. What part of the state are you in?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Coredump posted:

I'm in Gwinnett but I've traveled out to Rutledge for the BRAG spring tune-up, Carrollton for the greenway around that city, down to Atlanta, etc. I'm willing to go a fair distance to check a place out.

Ah, cool. I moved from Georgia over 4 years ago, so some of this is rusty, but some of my favorite places to ride out there were:

1) The 3/6 Gap routes are the big climbs in north Georgia that most of the roadies do. These are "real climbs" and are worth doing if you never have. Wolfpen is probably the best of the bunch, Hogpen is pretty difficult from what I remember. This route doesn't do Brasstown Bald (the highest point in the state and a very tough climb up), but it's in the same area. There's also good climbing over in the Dalton area. And, for that matter, if you're in Dalton, Chattanooga is just another 45 minutes up the road.
2) For less climbing heavy riding, I rode a bunch in the Athens area. You can use Athens as a starting point and ride all over northeastern Georgia. I can send over some specific routes if you want ideas, but there are great rolling hills to the north (all the way up to Alto) and out to the east. Toward the south of town there are some good gravel roads that you can link up. If you've ever heard of the bike photog Jered Gruber, this is the area he lives in and hosts a good gravel group ride/race every year.
3) For a combination of (1) and (2), there's some stuff north of Rome worth looking at. In particular, the roads to the north of Fouche Gap (Tour of Georgia went over this a few times) and off of the Berry College campus (there's also some decent MTB trails here from what I hear, but I never rode them). You can do some big mile days out here in the rolling foothills leading into the bigger stuff in northern Alabama and Georgia.
4) I rode down south a bit, but its flat and pretty boring. Coastline is flat all over and while scenic isn't my favorite.
5) For MTB trails, there's great stuff in the northern part of the state. The Pinhoti Trail in the NW is good, the Russell (I think this is the name...) wildlife management area north of Athens is good, and then there are good spots around Atlanta too: Ft Yargo, Blankets Creek, etc.

a foolish pianist might be able to chime in too. I believe he's been doing some good gravel stuff in the Atlanta area and might have some suggestions.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

EvilJoven posted:

So much ice. So much fun.

Reminds me that I’m not ready for winter. Boo :(

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Development posted:

I think Lael needs a goon trash kit

I would pitch in to make this happen

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

EvilJoven posted:

Ran into someone riding a hand built titanium MTB with a one of a kind suspension fork based off of something he saw on a motorcycle or something. It was wild.

I have no idea how that would ride but i would be 100% up for trying.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

kimbo305 posted:

Someone get the blue Doppo mtb, please.

Holy poo poo yes

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I love everything about that bike.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
When it’s hot enough, yes it will melt.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Withnail posted:

nice shot of my crap mtn bike, I'm ready for spring

Where on the front range is this? Those wood pieces look like Marshall Mesa area but the angle seems a little off from what I’d expect

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Ramblers are great tires ime.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

ilkhan posted:

Canyon Endurace CF 7 Di2 fresh out of the box. Taking off the reflectors and putting on proper accessories (pedals, Garmin, etc) over the next week and will update when its set. Took it around the block (literally) and feels great.

Clamp the seat post instead of the top tube w carbon bikes. It can be easy to clamp too hard and crush the tube.

Nice bike and congrats!

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

sim posted:

Moved to a new town with a ton of multi-use paths and two fairly decent grocery options by bike, so I splurged on my dream car-replacement bicycle:

I have one of those and love it! So useful as a people and thing carrier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

evil_bunnY posted:

That loving trout livery is so silly I never get tired of it.

that looks sweet, and nice frames with XL clearances loving own. I briefly rode on a 24mm-tired road bike and kept asking myself who the gently caress enjoys that unless the pavement is literally perfect. 35mm and up all the way.

Tire clearance is thankfully getting better on road bikes. New Cervelo road bikes (e.g., R5, Soloist), for example, fit up to 34mm.