Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
It's fall in New England.

Rebuilt my hardtail around the Nukeproof Scout frame and took it out for its second test ride, which was mostly a dud:
- wet leaves everywhere spooking the hell out of me. Washed out the front
- put a 40mm stem on it from my last test and was too conservative clamping to the steerer, so the bars turned the first time I was climbing up a rocky patch. Just psyched out after that
- was running the 2.4 Dissector up front, and got 0 insight into how it behaves differently to a cushcored DHF. It sounds a lot whinier on the road, though.
- definitely notice the lower BB. Bumped into a couple things and also kicking up a lot more sticks/branches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Rad looking bike tho

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Fatbike season begins.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Oh hello, criminally too modern and proper pie plate-less thread.

It's trainer tire season still :(

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
if the spoke protector is made of metal like that, instead of ugly plastic, it transcends the dork disc meme and loops back around to old school cool. especially with downtube shifters

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Oh hello, criminally too modern and proper pie plate-less thread.

It's trainer tire season still :(

99th percentile femur length detected.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

That's the politest phrasing of "that broad is tall" i've yet heard.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i always liked that Sakae chainring design

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I thought this green bar tape would be nice on this build but I did half of it and I am not so sure now....

What is a good colour to match the maroon paint?

Also, I think I need a better stem, something less racey and that would provide a more upright position.

Regardless, as it sits, I like how it rides.

I have some chrome fenders for it too.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i feel like you could adjust the bars before needing to replace the stem. maybe tilt them up a bit? or, since you've already got the bar tape off, move the brake levers a little farther up?

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Brown tape to match the seat, and teach yourself how to do a harlequin wrap with a darker green (or white) as the accent color.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
new seat for my purple bike

This side is less purple, so I'll see if I can get a better shot later:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

jet sanchEz posted:

I thought this green bar tape would be nice on this build but I did half of it and I am not so sure now....

What is a good colour to match the maroon paint?

Also, I think I need a better stem, something less racey and that would provide a more upright position.

Regardless, as it sits, I like how it rides.

I have some chrome fenders for it too.

The Fizik terra green tape would match the GK green better fwiw

https://www.fizik.com/us_en/terra-microtex-bondcush-tacky.html

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

That's the politest phrasing of "that broad is tall" i've yet heard.
I think it was more a comment on the degree of setback you're rolling with.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

It can be both.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I put the green bar tape on my Miyata tourer, much much nicer. Maybe something bright like orange would be nice on the Panasonic

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Looking up color wheels for complimentary, tertiary, triad and etc. color schemes is immensely helpful too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

jet sanchEz posted:

I put the green bar tape on my Miyata tourer, much much nicer. Maybe something bright like orange would be nice on the Panasonic

this bike fucks, especially with one of the best touring/mtb derailleurs ever made on it

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Getting in some the last easy days of dawn patrol before the time change

Today:

Yesterday:

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

NBD! After a ridiculous shipping issue, It shipped on the 9th and the tracking only updated twice, took 12 days from when it arrived in the Netherlands to get to Denmark.

First proper road bike I've had since I sold my Lynskey back in like '17.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
This is a really steep hill, I suck at the photo-taking.

I just put that fork on, it has fairly wide clearance for tires but...I am going to attempt to put some fenders on this thing.

All my steel winter bikes get destroyed with the salt, hoping that a titanium frame with fenders will work ok, the frame is pretty stiff for long rides.

jet sanchEz fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 29, 2020

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Levitate posted:

Today:

Yesterday:

Doesn't the time change mean the mornings get light sooner? Ie. easy dawn patrol days once again

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Suicide Watch posted:

Doesn't the time change mean the mornings get light sooner? Ie. easy dawn patrol days once again

Not for my schedule. I need to be out the door by 6-6:30, and 6:30 will be about the time the sun is coming up, so I'll be riding with the dawn but only just starting out and my preferred "dawn patrol" is to be able to get somewhere neat to see the sun rise.

So...honestly better for actually riding some stuff (not gonna be setting any downhill PRs in the dark) but not gonna be able to get up to the top of the mountain in time to see the sun rise.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
So much ice. So much fun.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

EvilJoven posted:

"What's in the box?"
"Pain."

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

How do you like those Axiom panniers? A few on eBay for $85 for the set of the p55+. I don’t need them but I showed a few friends.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

EvilJoven posted:

Reminds me that I’m not ready for winter. Boo :(

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

How do you like those Axiom panniers? A few on eBay for $85 for the set of the p55+. I don’t need them but I showed a few friends.

They suck but they're cheap

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

They suck but they're cheap

A ringing endorsement! Thanks.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sorry I only had time to bang out a super quick response.

The main clips aren't very strong and the 'locking' clip is flimsy and easy to break. I ended up fixing one by making a new one with a broken spoke.

Broken spokes, is there nothing they can't do? :allears: hold a wheel together, that's what

I'd never use em for touring or put something expensive like a laptop or camera in it. I do endorse em for general "I need to carry my crap to work" use because they're light and cheap.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Levitate posted:

Today:

Yesterday:

This almost makes me miss the Bay Area.

But I'll survive.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

e.pilot posted:

THE RULES:
Big ring
Small Cog
Valves at 12 or 6
Crank at 3
Centered Tire Logos
No Bottles
No Bags (unless there’s LOTS of bags)
No Lights

Bonus Points:
In front of a good wall
Gold chain
Pro Fit

Negative Points:
Reflectors
Dork Disk

I think I broke every rule!
Celebrating an avoided Day Zero by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

ExecuDork posted:

I think I broke every rule!
Celebrating an avoided Day Zero by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

:popeye:

dema
Aug 13, 2006

That fender line. :discourse:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
"Let me play you the song of my people"

*wedges small stone between tire and fender*

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Did a part just fall off? Did I hit something? Catastrophic failure? Pebble touring the fenders? :shrug:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

EvilJoven posted:

Every time I venture off of pavement, the song begins. It's the song of the Earth, of the unsealed land, of untrammelled wilderness. And dead leaves and sticks and poo poo, yeah.

I should probably scootch that up a bit.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I almost didn't bother making that extension to bring my fender closer to the wheel when I got the new fork. "Three inches of clearance? gently caress yes!"

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

dema posted:

This almost makes me miss the Bay Area.

But I'll survive.

How do you like that frame? How's the weight/performance on it?

I'm vaguely considering building up a lightweight aluminum road bike for like hill climb poo poo or something, dunno what I'd do for a frame though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
In honor of singlespeed day I took my sscx bike on single track and drank some SingleSpeed beer. It was a good day.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 3, 2020