Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Do reflective tyres count as reflectors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

dema posted:

New road bicycle in progress.

Can't believe you'd post the finished thing on reddit before this thread

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Ya that's a nice bike right there

I only noticed because it looked rad and recognised the frame from your post before. Then saw the stems were the same and went full :monocle:

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
How wide do your shoulders need to be to ride that comfortably?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

New commuter (with bad lighting)

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Al2001 posted:

Looks sweet. My commuter is the same colour (but not as nice.) Is the rack rated for the standard amount (~25kg)?

Yours looks pretty tidy too!

No it's lower rated and fairly flimsy, think only 10kg or so. It's also designed mainly for the Ortlieb quicklock 3.1 system, so pannier selection is limited too unfortunately. It limits the utility but I have a stadsfiets for heavier loads and going shopping etc

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Krogort posted:

Nice one, is this a Canyon ?
Belt drive / nexus commuter are brillant, clean trouser, no need to lube and they are so quiet !

Yep, Commuter 6.0. Yeah I'm really looking forward to the belt benefits when winter comes. The Nexus hub seems pretty smooth too, although the lowest gear is a bit too low to be useful (in the flatlands at least).

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
You planning on mainly gravelling it or as a road/off-road switcheroo-er? Would be interested in finding out what they're like as a road bike replacement.

:krad: bike either way.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I got a Brooks B17 for my commuter based on the sheer number of recommendations it gets but just couldn't get on with it, don't think it's suitable for the riding position and the rails are very short so it's hard to get enough setback.

Now have a Bontrager saddle that's a bit too solid on there. The C17 looks good though, might try it once I sell the B17.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

bicievino posted:

Finally managed to track down all the parts I needed to get my new gravel bike built up.

It's a Carbonda CFR707. Very happy with how it rides - quite snappy.
The shifters look ridiculous, but I can't stop my brain from wanting to get narrow and aero. It just feels right!

:aaaaa:

rear end saver + mudguards though?

And did you get it painted yourself or by carbonada?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

eeenmachine posted:

Pretty bike 🤩

Mamma Mia!

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Good bike

I'd like to get some deep carbon rims for my rim brake bike but don't think it makes sense since I'd like to get one with discs in the next couple of years (and I don't race so my actual speed doesn't really matter). They just look and sound so cool though!

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

rngd in the womb posted:

:perfect:

HOT DAAAAAAAAMN!!!! I didn't realize these Cervelos came in purple??

Definitely not my bicycle, but the new Giant Propel comes in a nice deep purple and I want one

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

:woop:

Gave it a quick spin in the garage and seems to fit me perfectly, hopefully the weather is better tomorrow and I can go for an actual ride.

Only a few things I'd like to tweak fit-wise:
- Have a seatpost with setback arriving this week, but might be I don't need to swap it as it felt pretty good like this and I don't even have the saddle all the way back.
- Bars are 42cm with 16 degree flare, might swap them for 40cm + flared, which I also did for my other bike, since that's nicer for my wrists.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Heliosicle posted:

Gave it a quick spin in the garage and seems to fit me perfectly, hopefully the weather is better tomorrow and I can go for an actual ride.

Did an hour on it this afternoon, including some offroad sections which were more suited to an MTB than this given how much it's rained recently. Fit is almost there but think I do need the other seatpost. I used the saddle it came with and it didn't agree with me much so will switch that out.

All in all though it's amazing, it eats up all the bumps that my race bike makes uncomfortable and just feels so capable. It feels really nice whilst accelerating on it, maybe even stiffer than my TCR, but holding the speed is harder so will definitely get some road wheels at some point for when it's too muddy for offroad or it's :rice: time

Did notice that I need to intentionally turn a lot more though, I'm used to small quick movements being enough to nip around corners and that's not the case on this.

Riding in road cleats on the muddy bits felt sketchy af though (I'm dumb and tried them anyway). I almost got stuck and was spinning my wheels like mad to get to a grippier section.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

:swoon:
Bike is completely set up as I want it (for now): got some xtr pedals, switched to tubeless and put a crankset powermeter on there.
Sram don't advertise it but you can totally set up the force/red spider PM with rival cranks. Would've gotten the rival PM but they were only available as a full crankset within the next couple of months, and for that price it wasn't much extra to get the spider.

I was going to do all this in a while but I already scratched my assiomas up quite a bit with all the dirt from using them off-road and didn't want to ruin the resell value.

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 20, 2023

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Sweet, looks perfect for that scenery.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

:drat:

What wheels are those?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

TobinHatesYou posted:

Light Bicycle WR50s.

Huh, looking at the rim profile they seem identical to these https://www.duke-racingwheels.com/duke-world-runner-carbon-38-50/?lang=en which I was looking at

Also what width tyres did you use and how wide do they actually measure?

E: for the new page

I love this thing so much, it lets me do the kind of riding I dreamt of as a kid

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 20, 2023

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

TobinHatesYou posted:

If you get Dukes, get Baccara Xs. Their more up-to-date website is https://www.jpracingbike1.com/

I'm running 28mm GP5K S TRs, and they measure over 31mm.

Thanks for the tip. The wheelbuilder I've bought from before has the Baccara X for only 40 more. I figured wider=better but guess that's not always the case.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
No pics of them on my actual bicycle yet, still waiting for some centrelock lock rings to arrive, but couldn't wait to show them because :drat: these wheels

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Lex Neville posted:

:popeye: what are those?

This

e.pilot posted:

looks like wheels, hth

But also:

Duke Baccara X rims with Erase hubs. Hopefully can go for a spin this weekend.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Finally got to try them, thanks covid

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

https://youtu.be/zxzV5XoLpto
^ how it's gonna feel going into work tomorrow

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Sphyre posted:

it's that day we all know and love, new bike day

:hf:

Awesome paint right there, enjoy!

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Withnail posted:

New bike... just clicked buy on the website and put pedals and cages on it

I had just rolled 100k mi on my old trek

Hot

Did it come with the stem already cut like that?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Good bikes on this page

jamal posted:

New bike gonna be cool. Just don't have an eta for the frame better than "probably before the end of april" yet.

What are you getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

(Not mine but it was a lot of fun to ride)