Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I finally found a bike to buy so checking into the purple club

Roscoe 8, overpriced as poo poo but I'll have it for a while at least. Had to go to "women's" labeled frames to get a good color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Tacier posted:

That’s a cool bike. Even if overpriced, everything on it is solid and you’ll be probably be glad you paid a bit more for a bike that needs nothing and has no weak links.

Definitely, nothing needs upgrading and any changes are me having to figure out my comfort level for things ex: moving the bars up and down, trying a shorter stem or riser bars and better grips, etc. It's hella fun to ride even though I'm bad and have a lot of confidence to build.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 31, 2020

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Most of my gripes on the Roscoe are the mentioned low stack and threaded bb but also the weird cable routing around the BB and lack of thru-axle on the rear and 120mm vs 130mm fork. It's just a gaping hole for the cables instead of nice small holes for cables to exit from and an access hatch to get to them internally. For almost $1800, there are similar or lower priced bikes that have the things it lacks.
(Yes i got that scraped cable replaced under warranty)

Color is fantastic though.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

n8r posted:

Yes I should leave a place full of actual mountains to ride in a place where people ski on garbage piles.

I grew up in Northern CA and moved to Virginia many years ago and the things they try to pass as mountains out here are pretty cute.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I tore off the dork disk this weekend not because it looked bad but because it kept coming loose from its clips and rattling because I'm riding too hard I guess.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 21, 2020

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Whats all this bullshit about skinny tires?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I was at LBS picking up some stuff and saw a bike with what looked like GA3 but they were on a trek so they ended up being "Bontrager Satellite IsoZone". Got the little wing like the GA3 but are a little squishier. Felt nice, but reviews say they discolor quickly.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Pour one out for my riding the rest of the year.

:rip:

OTB on the bottom tabletop at Bryce on Saturday. Broke right collar and ring fingat, left wrist. I'm told it was an epic crash by the folks who saw it.

Most importantly, the bike is fine. Helmet is done though.

Thanks helmut you did good.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Id planned to take it easy and roll everything but that bottom launcher is deceptively aggressive so i was a bit too fast, caught air in bad position and got launched otb into my face and shoulder. At least no concussion and lower body and torso are fine. Medical was surprised i was so lucid after a slam that hard.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

VacaGrande posted:

drat. Glad to hear things aren't worse. Don't know where you are in the area but I have a good ortho I would recommend in Bethesda. PM me if you'd like the name. Hope the recovery process goes well.

Thanks for the offer. I'm down in Charlottesville and fortunately my mom is in the field and very well connected so i got in to see someone good this morning and have surgery scheduled for Thursday already. Prognosis is good. 6 weeks or so for wrist cast, shoulder will be much more mobile in a week or so but sling for 6 weeks too. Finger is a simple splint

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

EvilJoven posted:

That sucks hard but at least you'll be healed up in time for fatbike season (get a fatbike).

Anything wood, be it a root or a man made structure, is so incredibly sketchy when wet I avoid em at all costs. When I went out riding those trails I checked out last week everything was just damp enough I didn't bother riding any of it because I'm normally pretty poo poo on a mountain bike as is and the last thing I wanted to do was auger in deep in the woods with no support.

Conditions at Bryce were actually perfect. Overcast mid-low 70's and bone dry while it was raining in the rest of the state.

I already almost have a fatbike, running 27.5x2.8. :D

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

EvilJoven posted:

Git yer skinny rear end tires off the snow. Fat bike my arse. Your tires need to be at least an inch wider!

I wish it fkin snowed around here anymore. Used to get 6-12 inches 3-6 times a year but for the last 10 years or so we're lucky to get 3" once and a 3 foot dumping every 5 years or so.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Yep, check your local bike shops and just ride everything they have to get a feel for what sizing you like/need.

I got back into bikes this summer after 20 years off and at 5'10, 29 felt just a little too big and unstable for me while 27.5 felt just right and playful for re-learning everything. When I go full suspension it might even be a mullet because i'm an idiot and like weird poo poo.

We have a nice little discord going, hop in if you want more instant answers to stuff. We've also been doing world cup downhill watch parties, sharing crash pictures, etc

https://discord.gg/GnfAa4FwGW

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 31, 2020

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I got an osprey hip hydration pack on recommendation from folks in the discord and have been happy with it. It's 1.7l i think and has some auxilliary pouches for extra storage And didn't pop when OTB'd and rolled over it.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I was looking at dakine but their short straps can't accommodate my manly hips. Osprey's are 2 side adjustable and easy to since down.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'm still healing from my OTB on a jump a month ago. Right clavicle was bolted together has been ok'd as of friday(3 weeks since surgery) but left wrist and right ring finger are still fucko'd and look like they need surgery now. :(

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Supply is so tight right now, the best entry level or intermediate bike is the one that mostly fits has modern geometry and drivetrain, a dropper, and is in stock

the real hard part is figuring out what fits and you're comfy with when theres barely any inventory to test on. When i was shopping in june there were 2 hardtails with all of those things here in town. I murdered my budget an bought the better one. Its better because it is purple.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I thought the point of the neck brace is it keeps you from tilting your head much at all but still letting you turn and look up-down a little. I don't see that brace plus helmet being effective neck protection for you. Can you expand it vertically?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I know a guy who runs a car detailing and paint protection business so called him up to see if he'd like to try something a little more interesting. They didn't have any cnc patterns so hand cut all of the pieces from scraps and did the whole bike for about $150 parts+labor with nice xpel car clear bra. Considering how long it would have taken me to get right and loving with the materials and buying supplies, spray bottles, etc, I think it was worth. Its held up to my crashes well so far. Worth giving your local car detailers a call to see if they'd be up for it.

150 was the original quote, he gave me a friendly discount after but I was ready to pay the full too.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I'm glad the thread title reflects how I feel.

The thread title is my quote and I'm on month 4 of recovery from an October crash. Bike again sooooon. This winter has been very boring.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'll 2nd Osprey. Really like their 2L hip pack I got and it survived me landing on it OTB without popping. If only my shoulder had been so lucky.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I can't even get a replacement helmet for the one I split in half back in October. Zero stock.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

This thing popped up in the local group, gonna go take a look at it in the morning. Anything I should super look out for? Price seems ok-ish. ~2k under what a 2021 carbon would cost if you could actually find one, plus spares. About the cost of an alloy one.

quote:

Asking $2500
Stumpjumper 2019 model year 27.5 (size Large)
• Currently set up 150mm front and rear.
• INCLUDED: 130mm fork air spring and 130mm rear shock + linkage so you could run this as the ST Stumpjumper (130/130). Options baby. options.
• Bike is stock with fox 34 rhythm fork and fox dps shocks. Drive train is 1x12 NX. Xfusion manic 150mm dropper.
• Wheels and saddle were taken off when I bought it so they're lightly used (boost wheels are alloy rovals with 29mm internal rims set up tubeless with a butcher 2.6 front and eliminator 2.6 rear)
• Will also include spare derailleur hanger and some spare 27.5 tires if you want'em.

Is this dumb? It looks ok, plus it's purple. I've not been riding long enough for my fat rear end to notice differences in suspension as long as you can air it up enough to not bottom out all the time. My other bike is a roscoe 8 in ML so I think this'll fit too but be a little bigger and still ok.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

feelix posted:

Based on what I've been seeing in local classifieds, seems TGTBT. I haven't seen a single modern alloy-framed bike for less than that, let alone carbon. People are marking up bikes over MSRP even. I guess the only really major thing that would be a disaster would be frame cracks or something majorly wrong with the fork though?

It's posted in our local private group by a person people know so it does seem to be legit. The big thing I'll ask is why he got a new bike. If it was to switch to road/gravel then its probably pristine. Looked up on facebook he's a super lanky dude so its at least not been beat on by someone like me :sun:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

My heavy rear end likes them on the hardtail. Also they just look big and meaty and cool without being full fatbike. They're hard to get tire pressures just right.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

They really should cross-ship to cut down on downtime. Did they at least give you a prepaid return label?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Welp I did end up buying this thing. Cleaned up pretty good. It turns a pretty purple in low light.

Needed dropper service done and rear shock tuned up, those are done. Spent the evening doing a re-lube on the stumpy. Shifting a little weird so I lubed the mech and re-tightened the cable. Indexed ok but its still clicky in spots. Eyed up the cassette and its wobbling a bit. D'oh. At least it's just NX and spares aren't $500. Even GX isn't compatible with the hub splines.
Used bikes just like used cars heh. Still happy with it so far.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I use fox dirtpaws, mostly because it was the only thing in stock that fit locally, but I've been happy with them. No problems in small crashes and other than my broken finger which wasn't their fault, they protected the rest of the hand well in that OTB, though the glove was destroyed. Got another pair in really nice orange

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'll 2nd avoiding the roscoe. Bargain bin parts, they extra cheap out in pretty meaningful places like the rear QR axle and race bearing headset unless they've updated those pieces for 2021. It took one very muddy ride to contaminate the headset on my 2020 8 with grit requiring a teardown and I upgraded to sealed bearings at that time, but I shouldn't had had to.

At least they're 1x and a dropper so not the end of the world if they're your absolutely only option. All that said I do like riding it.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

People trying to buy video cards think they have it bad.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

:rip: friend's rear mech

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

spwrozek posted:

I think he really means is help me justify buying a bike I will ride 3 times a year.

Doesn't have to justify it when its not in stock.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

This is bad. Little trail park was too muddy so I hit the skate park next door on the big FS bike. It wasn't super busy for once and pretty fun and now I want a dirt jumper.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Checked out a new to me trail section near home, got a bit lost, blasted some unmarked stuff. My arms are so torn up but it was a lot of fun.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Shepherd looks really cool.

I rode Bryce resort on a 27.5+ hardtail and was pretty beat up even before my big crash from being stupid and tired. It was rough but fun, but also got me into a FS since I'm too old for it that rough and bumpy without long rests between runs.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 29, 2021

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I saw enough crash videos of people dragging their chins across rocks to get a full face before going to a DH park and it definitely saved my teeth when I binned it and OTB onto my face and shoulder.

Originally ordered the POC but even their largest size wouldn't fit my giant watermelon head. The only thing I found that fit is the fox proframe which served well and lasted a whole day before I destroyed it. No Concussion either. They don't have a crash replacement program other than 30% off a new one.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

You can also put a ziptie on backwards for setting sag, it'll hold on there, but slide right back off once you're done

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

My normal ride is 6-8 miles of trail to all-mountain stuff so a 12 mile xc "race" sounds pretty fun even if I finished last just to learn how events and poo poo work. Hell someone might even dq or have a mechanical and then you beat someone! It'll also give you a good base time for next time. Race against yourself, not everyone else at first.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Finally broke a spoke. Wasn't even doing anything cool, just braking on pavement at the bottom of the big hill leaving my house. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Spime Wrangler posted:

specialized bought all the IP and just got a patent approved for the design this month, so it may come back eventually

Looking forward to the Turbo Levo S-works LF with linkage fork for $20,000