Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Unless I am riding park or shuttling I only wear knee pads these days. I can't imagine wearing full armour for everyday rides or are you just talking knees or legs and elbow/arms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

me your dad posted:

Does anyone know where to find a replacement cap for a Camelbak reservoir (Crux 3L)? Camelbak sells replacement caps, but it seems only for bottles. I don't want to spend money on a whole new reservoir unless needed.

https://www.camelbak.com/en/accessories/caps

Like the mouth piece? https://www.camelbak.com/en/accessories/bite-valves

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

spwrozek posted:

He was talking about the cap for the fill hole. It is known to be a POS according to the internet on that specific model.

Ah, my bad.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

compressioncut posted:

Been riding Tzouhalem a bit lately. Nice network and not too terribly blown out.

Not my Slayer. Cowichan bay about 1200' feet below, through the smoke.

Nice, I have always struggled to find a good loop there although I have one that is ok now, still don't ride there that often but thinking about going in the next few weeks.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

VelociBacon posted:

I'm surprised to hear people recommending winter tires. I've never even heard of that but I guess I live somewhere temperate.

Is the compound itself different to be softer at those temps or is it just the tread pattern? I can't imagine an aggressive DH tire not having the tread pattern to deal with wet mud/roots/etc because that's essentially what they're designed for.

I think it is more about a softer compound unless you are talking about a mud tire which kind of suck on anything other than mud. That said I have never heard them refereed to as winter tires.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

VelociBacon posted:

I was down with that until I saw this

I can't do that kind of ride. It's also funny/crazy to me that all the aid stations are ~600-1000m climb up from the bottom.

You guys are beautiful madmen.

Mexecan let me know if you plan on riding Whistler/Vancouver at all.

That seems like a brutal course but maybe I am just lazy, not sure I would ever really think about doing 100+ km in a single ride.

mexecan posted:

Elevation: it’s a struggle to be sure. I’m going to focus on doing some sort of structured training this time. Road/gravel is great for baseline fitness but that only takes you so far, as I discovered.

I just moved from Vancouver to the island because I’ll be working remote for the foreseeable future. No idea if/when I’ll be back. Friends just bought in Squamish though so I’ll probably head there in the spring/summer if travel restrictions are eased by then..

Strava profile here: https://www.strava.com/athletes/363600

The island has lots of great riding and seems to only be getting better, not sure where you are located but if you are looking for recommendations feel free to ask.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

n8r posted:

Your feedback meshes pretty well with the few reviews I found. I’m not real excited for the fact that it’s the same frame as the next bike up (slayer?). I’m also thinking about resale down the road. Bike of the year well known Stumpjumper vs. more niche with stupid name.

It’s sounding like supply will be fubar for 2022 so I’m really leaning toward holding out. My preferred shop does Norco and Ibis, but their Ibis is special order only. I can’t imagine I can get a Ripmo in any reasonable amount of time. I’m tempted by the Norco Optic but it’s a couple of years old now and I bet the new one comes out next year.

The current optic is only on it's 2nd model year I think. I got the first year of the new sight last year which is a very similar bike and love it. I have some friends with optics and they also like them. Only thing I have had issues with is getting the rear shock setup to my liking, I wish the suspension was more progressive.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

stratdax posted:

Beauty thanks. I think that's where my thoughts lie. I think he brain-farted off a rock roll and landed hard on his arm/side, but still kind of has me freaked a bit. I'll pick up a pressure suit just to have and wear on days I'm feeling spicier but it's unlikely I'll wear it every day.
Either way I think I'm one big crash from throwing my bike in the garbage and never riding again.

In other news, I'm renting a Norco Sight in Squamish this weekend and giving it a try. Norco doesn't have any for demo so I gotta rent. I gave the new Range fitted with AXS gear a parking lot try-out yesterday. Absolutely nuts. Felt like I was in the Bat-Bike. Bikes have gone looney.

I have a 2020 sight and love it, would be curious about trying the new Range but I find for my riding the 160mm is a good for most riding. It seems like most places have no demo fleets due to the crazy shortages which kind of sucks.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

stratdax posted:

Trip report from renting the Norco sight:. Norco says I'm an extra large, so okay, that's what I went with. I'm not entirely convinced but the guys at norco were pretty drat sure. The wheelbase is 130mm more than my current bike and man I felt it. Plus the 29ers with a much slacker head tube angle, it was so different I don't even know what to think of it or if I liked it or not.

After the first lap I shifted into a lower gear to start pedalling back up but the chain broke, wrapped around the lower jockey wheel, bent the wheel and split the lower arm in half, right up the middle, then ripped the entire lower assembly off on my pedal stroke. Never seen that before. Good thing I got the rental insurance, but hopefully the value covers all of the new derailleur and chain. The rental shop didn't have another aluminum sight so I got the carbon. I did not notice one iota of difference. I'm pretty sure it was the same weight, give or take. Bike shop guys said it mostly affects rigidity of the frame, not weight, because they have to be so overbuilt to take the impacts they do.

Anyway, I'm going to try renting or demoing other bikes - specifically Ibis Ripmo, Rocky Mountain Altitude, or Commencal Meta, something along those lines.

I demoed a carbon sight and ended up getting the A1 as I felt like the better components was more valuable that the carbon I think there is a small weight penalty, the biggest thing I noticed with the carbon was it was noisier, not that it is a particularly quiet bike as I notice the internal cables rattle around.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

dema posted:

Getting an itch for a mid travel, FS bike. Shop around the corner has an SB130 in my size, on the floor. The build is a bit bougie for me, but it's gorgeous. Anyone have one of those?

My mum has had one for a few years and likes it and has been trouble free I think.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

VelociBacon posted:

They make semi slicks but they're really not good enough for proper mountain biking so you'd really need a very specific use case for it, maybe that's you I don't know. Here's an example:

https://www.maxxis.com/us/tire/minion-ss/

I used a specialized tire similar to that came on my enduro and you know it was better than I expected even in damp pnw conditions. I did eventually switch to a "proper" tire but in dry conditions it was pretty ok since they still have good side knobs. I only had on in the rear and they certainly not as good as a full tread. Honestly I think it will be tough to find a tire that meets both needs, look for something with a harder compound and it will last longer but at the cost of trail performance but that may be fine for your use case.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

VelociBacon posted:

Awesome! I always bring 2 extra gopro batteries in my pocket when I ride park. Nice to have had the opportunity to see some pros riding, I'm always blown away after I get down something for the first time and a pro comes down after me and just skips an entire section of track by popping up and over half of it.

Can't believe Dan Atherton is riding again so soon after his massive accident. That family is wild.

It was Gee that had the big crash. Dan has just been busy building tracks (unless I missed something).

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Eejit posted:

Looks super fun. Also that's a gorgeous forest. I'm not done with skiing yet, but I'm not going to be sad when MTB season starts here.

I have been skiing one day on the last few weekends and riding the other. Best of both worlds!

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I have been using a USWE bag for the past 2 seasons and love it, I have a 12L one that I think should fit a 3L bladder but I have not tried. I do find it warmer than a "traditional" backpack when it is hot out though.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I have a Norco Sight A1 and it has been good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

mexecan posted:

Life update. Bought a Forbidden Druid and life is grand. Forbidden had a season end sale which made it an easy decision for me. At first I thought the high pivot design was truly hideous but it's growing on me. Arguably a nicer bike than I need but YOLO and it's a Vancouver Island company so happy to support them.

https://www.forbiddenbike.com/products/druid-xt-complete

Nice, riding in Cumbreland (where they are from) you see lots of them around. I kind of wish they may a 150mm version instead of having to jump up to the dread naught if you want more travel. Never rode one but they look good.